Peavey drops Eddie Anal-en, keeps producing his gear w/ diff. name

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes

Peavey drops Eddie Anal-en, keeps producing his gear w/ diff. name

Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

EDDIE VAN HALEN And PEAVEY End Long-Term Partnership - Dec. 21, 2004

Peavey, the world-famous musical instrument manufacturer, has announced that it has parted with Edward Van Halen after a 13-year partnership. Peavey collaborated with the guitarist on his signature-model Peavey Wolfgang Series electric guitars and Peavey 5150 Series amplifiers.

According to the company, Van Halen retains the rights to the names 5150 and Wolfgang, as well as certain design elements of the Wolfgang guitar, but the 5150's circuitry and tone will remain in the Peavey family as the 6505 amplifier. Peavey will launch the new 6505 — named in celebration of Peavey's first forty years, 1965 to 2005 — at the Winter NAMM (International Music Products Association) Expo, Jan. 20-24, 2005, in Anaheim, Calif.

Peavey will also debut its Carina (Italian for 'beautiful') guitars to replace the Wolfgang. Carina Series guitars highlight many of the Peavey innovations used in the Wolfgang and other Peavey guitars, including computer-shaped necks that ensure all Carina guitars exhibit a consistent, comfortable neck radius and superior playability.

The hugely successful 5150 Series guitar amplifiers and Wolfgang electric guitars, which launched in 1991 and 1995, respectively, have become staples of modern rock music. Endorsers ranging from Ted Nugent, 3 DOORS DOWN and DEFAULT to underground metal heroes ATREYU, DARKEST HOUR and GOD FORBID, and even power-punkers such as VISQUEEN, have lauded the contributions these Peavey products have made to rock 'n' roll.

"I'm very proud of the work we accomplished with Edward," says Peavey founder and CEO Hartley Peavey. "The 5150 Series has earned its place as a rock guitar standard, and the Wolfgang is a staple in the pantheon of rock instrumentation. They're both well-respected pieces, and I'm glad we could bring those to life.

"As we enter our fortieth year of building innovative instruments, amplifiers and sound equipment, we're more focused on the future than ever," he remarks. "We've pioneered a lot of 'firsts' in this industry, including making guitars using computer-controlled machines, and even with more than 130 patents behind us, there's plenty of fertile ground ahead of us. It's an exciting time for Peavey."

Peavey is one of the largest manufacturers of musical instruments and professional sound equipment in the world. Peavey holds more than 130 patents and produces more than 2,000 products, which are distributed throughout the United States and to 136 other countries. To find out more about Peavey, visit www.peavey.com.
  • Matt White
    • Jun 2004

"ALAS...................."

Comment

• Coyote
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2004

Man... I'd better start scrapin' up some moolah for a 5150 II. Pronto like Tonto.
      Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• YAWN

Originally posted by John Holmes
        "I'm very proud of the work we accomplished with Edward before he turned into... well, you know," says Peavey founder and CEO Hartley Peavey. "The 5150 Series has earned its place as a rock guitar standard, and the Wolfgang is a staple in the pantheon of rock instrumentation. They're both well-respected pieces, and I'm glad we could bring those to life while Edward still knew how to use them and the public still gave a flying fuck about him..."

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

It just means your Musicman EVH guitar will be worth even more $$$$. To be honest, I don't think the 5150 amplifiers will ever be that collectable. Some of the Wolfgang guitars might be; especially ones from the Custom Shop or ones owned and used by Eddie himself.

I don't think a Korean made Wolfgang Special and a 5150 combo amp is going to be bringing much in as an investement. If you like high gain amplifiers and a guitar that the harmonics jump right off the fingerboard and screams like a motherfucker, it's money well spent.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
            Veteran
            • Jan 2004

Brownsound1 was right!!! ...

Onto MARSHALL he shall go ... or sit on his ass as usual ... would be great to see a Marshall EVH stizack!
            Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

don't hold your breath, he's already rumored to be looking at Crate.

for a guy who's supposed to be a guitar genius...he sure does have shitty taste in gear.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• rustoffa
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Eyes
                Brownsound1 was right!!! ...

Onto MARSHALL he shall go ... or sit on his ass as usual ... would be great to see a Marshall EVH stizack!
                Preferably one tumbling down on top o' him!

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

I honestly would only want to see EVH with an old Marshall Plexi if he
                  ever did the real reunion. It just wouldnt seem right to have him plug back into that legendary setup without the voice of Van Halen over the top of it...

So no Marshall endorsements until Van Halen returns !!!
                  BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Brett
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

5150's aren't that good nor will they be collector's items. I have one and I now use a Pod in front of. That's how much I think of it. Save your money and buy a Mesa.

New Marshalls are shit, so I would hope Ed would avoid them as well. God their new amps suck.

So Charvel guitars and Crate amps? Wow that's just......um....shit.

Comment

• Don Corleone
                      Veteran
                      • May 2004

It'll all come down to who offers him the most money.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

• John Holmes

Originally posted by Brett
                        5150's aren't that good nor will they be collector's items. I have one and I now use a Pod in front of. That's how much I think of it. Save your money and buy a Mesa.

New Marshalls are shit, so I would hope Ed would avoid them as well. God their new amps suck.

So Charvel guitars and Crate amps? Wow that's just......um....shit.
                        Sure it is shit. But being shit it better fits Sammy's presence in the band.

Comment

• John Holmes

Originally posted by Don Corleone
                          Well, Charvel isn't as "famous" as it was in the 80's. I don't know how much money they to offer. Peavey *dropped* Ed, the people at Peavey were sick of him - anybody who met sales representatives at last NAMM exhibitions will confirm.

Probably hiring Once-Rock-n'-Roller now AOR-Washed-up-star Eddie Van Analen is the last hurrah for Charvel.

Speaking of quality stuff, Everything nowadays has gone back to Gibson's and Fender's, once again, and only Gibson builds USA guitars. Fender assembles in USA parts from its Mexican and Japanese subsidiaries.

All the rest, in the guitar world, is Korean garbage or Korean parts put together in USA, like Gretsch does. Utter shit. USA guitars are the best. Warwick, a vendor of made in Germany basses, is great too, but very expensive.
                          Last edited by John Holmes; 12-22-2004, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• Brett
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Once Charvel sold out to Jackson it was over. Became bottom-end beginner guitars. Now if we're talking San Dimas Charvels, that's something different.

Comment

• GAR
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Don Corleone
                              The trouble with Peavey being unable to produce the sufficient numbers in both quantity and profit may have alot to do with a shitty network of dealers: If I can't find a well stocked Peavey dealership in all of Los Angeles County, I hate to think how that forebodes for the rest of them poor bastards looking for a 5150-anything thru the rest of the nation!

I must say, their customer service and parts department are to be envied.. TOP NOTCH! - though the amps themselves are tinny, lack low bottom end and lower midrange growl which newer Marshalls have right off the shelf for a little more money.

St Louis Music runs the Crate line - they also own Ampeg which Mikey endorses and Sammy too.

Crates are lower than low end but sound okay and are targeted to budget users - meaning higher sales numbers and therefore a better royalty return for EVH despite them being made from Asian parts in part or in whole, or even entirely made in Asia!

We don't know where EVH will go if he does "go" with an amp mfr, but them shitty Charvels are run by none other than Fender, who are also known for amplification and supposedly the original EVH Learner Amp, the Fender Bandmaster 35 watter..

Did Ed have his Bandmaster modded?
                              Did Ed consult to resurrect this classic and great amp with a modded sound flavorable enough for his endorsement?

WE shall see..

Comment

Working...