What`s more important, a great amp or a top of the line guitar?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • manwiththedogs
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2004

What`s more important, a great amp or a top of the line guitar?

A good amp can make a budget guitar sound good, but a cheap amp can be a real problem.
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by manwiththedogs; 12-23-2004, 05:13 PM.
  • DLRdelight!
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

In my opinion both are very important. You can have a top of te line guitar, but it will sound shity if you have a shitty amp

Comment

• BrownSound1
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Mar 2003

A shitty guitar will still sound shitty through a great amp. Bottom line, get good shit all the way around and you won't have to worry about it.

Comment

• sambo
        Sniper
        • Jun 2004

I agree with the above posts, both play an important part.

Personally, I got my good guitar first and just used a few pedals to get the sound I wanted through my little Peavey 15 watter. It worked fine..

It wasn't until a few years later that I got my Marshall when I starting playing in bands...
        Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• Coyote
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

I say a good guitar. A decent axe can and will do wonders through any amp, IMO.

Although, some skills on the thing couldn't hurt either.
          Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

It's like a journey, it takes both feet to go any distance.

Comment

• frets5150
              Commando
              • Feb 2004

I say a good guitar

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
                Veteran
                • Jan 2004

Or you can even the scenario and get a half shitty guitar and a half shitty amp! ... neither bad or great just half shitty
                Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• Don Corleone
                  Veteran
                  • May 2004

Talent and the ability to get the best out of what you've got also play a big factor.

You could have the best Guitar and Amp in the world and still sound like shit because you have zero talent. Alternatively you can have half shitty gear, and sound amazing.
                  Roth Army Militia

Comment

• GAR
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2004

Id say a shit guitar with a straight enough neck and a good pickup, with a great amp.

FUCK shitty amps. If you're buying for a kid, get him his or her gear in a 1/3=2/3rds ratio, guitar to amp

For example, if your budget is 2000, spend 6 bills on the guitar or less, and the rest on the amp and cab= 1333.00

Cab should be at least a 2x12. Amp should be.. well, I can't say - I was at Guitar Center Hollywood yesterday when I say this shit stack called a "B-52" which claimed to be a triple-rectifier (meaning: nothing except that its aimed at being Boogie Recto of some 3rd type), was tube components, and had two 4x12 cabs of shitty speakers..

A head like that, if it sounds like the Mesa Boogie Triple Recto, may be a good buy.

My mantra is: if a person spends one fucking dollar on a piece of equipment they never like the sound of nor use, it was a bad purchasing decision... but people like that do such buying all the time - so who's to say?

I have found however, that's a good ratio: spend 33% on the guitar, 66% on the amp making sure that:

- the amp sounds are acceptable and easily configurable to the user WHOEVER they are, experienced or not (unlike the Vetta for example.. which makes me feel like a C++ programmer in fucking with it for an unhappy hour with poor results)

- and that the guitar has a straight neck, is of comfortable shape, no buzzing frets, and with an eye towards upgrading the shit electronics to say, a new Seymour Duncan replacement.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

First and foremost... get good fingers!!

Next I'd say get a good amp...

A "good guitar" is somewhat subjective, but as Gar says a straight neck and a good setup followed by good electronics. Doesn't matter if the body has been beat to shit and pissed on. As long as the thing will setup right and has good components then you are set.
                      "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Eyes of the Night
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2004

What IS a great amp though? Does dude want to shake the house down or just a bedroom? ...

Save the pennies for a Wolfgang made from 98'-01' ... cause all we really need to do is buy PC effects nowadays to sound pro ... tons of whistles on some of these "fake cheese" mods coming out with a hundred different this and that presets that almost could fool a record exec ...
                        Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

I went to a clinic that was hosted by a famous bassist...I'm not going to reveal his name...and the same question was posed. The guy went over and grabbed the shittiest bass in the shop off of the rack. A Rogue. Nothing fancy. It's an entry model designed to be cheap built cheap. He did look at the neck and while talking to the crowd worked on tuning it to what he wanted...he then grabbed a really rank amp...one of those battery operated jobs for playing on the beach and noodled around and mesmerized the crowd with his tapping and fingerwork...then he walked through the upper end shop and had one of the tech climb up and hand him a Gibson Thunderbird. He did the same thing he did to the Rogue...looked at the neck and tuned it to his ear...plugged it into a SWR stack and played the same thing albeit much louder. Then he plugged the Rogue into the SWR and played the tail end of his personal warmup that he had been playing and it sounded close to the Gibson.

His take was that "You have to use what you have to the best of your ability."...his words...not mine. He emphasized the need for practice and to push creativity to become one with the instrument. Now for me...I use what I can afford and purchase something so that if I want to upgrade...I can get a decent price for my stuff. I'd still like to have the Thunderbird though...but, I'm a Kramer kinda guy. I have a cheap 420s that I bought for 79 bucks new and a Kramer/Ferrington bass. I'd rather get an 80's model too but I have a Hamer short scale for those RHCP songs when my fingers have to be 90 places all at once. I usually play with whatever the house provides, but at home I have a Fender 60w amp. Loud enough for home. I'm not moving boulders at home.

Lesson for me...buy what works because once you take it home...you're stuck with it for awhile! Don't buy crap and if you have to buy used...have a luthier look at it!
                          http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                          http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Knucklebones
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Nov 2004

well if you're just starting out, then a good guitar before the amp, because you can learn better on a better guitar.

I wouldn't spend more then $200 on the guitar and $200 on the amp though. You can get quality guitars and amps for even cheaper.

Comment

• whodat
                              Groupie
                              • Jun 2004

question, does anyone approve of these guitars?

Comment

Working...