PDA

View Full Version : Soldier Pawns Sports Memorabilia to Fund Unit's Equipment

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Teen Army reservist's auction raises nearly $3,000
Saturday, January 1, 2005 Posted: 10:06 PM EST (0306 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO, California (AP) -- A teenage Army reservist whose decision to auction off sports memorabilia to buy equipment for his unit drew criticism has raised nearly $3,000.

Sean Flynn's plans became public last month as the military was being criticized for not adequately supplying some troops in Iraq. His unit, upon hearing reports that the auction was intended to raise funds for body armor and other protective gear, responded by saying its members had all the equipment they needed.

The 10-day eBay auction ended last week and raised $2,806, plus about $1,000 in donations.

Half the total will go to support Mothers of Military Servicemembers, while the remainder will buy a luxury item such as a laptop computer or satellite phone for the Mountain View-based 445th Civil Affairs Battalion.

Flynn's mother, Edie-Marie Mata, said her 18-year-old son simply hoped to buy equipment to help his unit.

"If the outcome of it -- all the media attention -- got people to support the troops in a positive way, then we're happy," she told the San Francisco Chronicle for Saturday's editions.

It was not clear when the unit would be deployed to Iraq.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 02:35 AM
Support our troops. Buy their stuff on E-bay!

BigBadBrian
01-02-2005, 07:18 AM
And just think, all those Dems didn't want to support that $87B bill for Iraq, $67B which was for equipment for our troops.

"I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it." - John F. Kerry, the idiot who almost was :gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
And just think, all those Dems didn't want to support that $87B bill for Iraq, $67B which was for equipment for our troops.

"I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it." - John F. Kerry, the idiot who almost was :gulp:

Almost as dumb as the guy who invaded Iraq in the first place to: "Stop the al-Qaida links of Saddam & Osami...no...er...To find WMD's, yeah that's it...NO!...er...to fight the terrorists over ther and not here, uh yeah and to liberate the Iraq people, yeah that's the ticket!"
http://www.demko.com/cb981222.gif

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 10:55 AM

Oh by the way, the equipment that $87B was supposed to pay for (i.e. flak vests, armored Humvees, Bradley IFV's) wasn't ready yet since the Admin. hadn't ordered any of it previous to the War and was not planning on fighting a protracted guerilla war. So it really didn't matter at that point anyways. But I guess we'll leave those facts out.

DrMaddVibe
01-02-2005, 02:20 PM
All this talk of armored humvees...they weren't designed for armor. They were light infantry transport. Not battle wagons. They replaced the holdovers from the Korean War and the nasty Chevrolet Blazers.

They threw armor on them as an afterthought not as a main design.

PS Nicky...you could've supported this soldier buy using your tsunami donation instead of giving it to a bunch of Al Qaeda supporting Somilians that liked to drag our soldiers bodies through their streets.

Smile...fag!

BigBadBrian
01-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
All this talk of armored humvees...they weren't designed for armor. They were light infantry transport. Not battle wagons. They replaced the holdovers from the Korean War and the nasty Chevrolet Blazers.

You know, thats as about a well said of a statement on the issue as I've seen made. Partisan or not. Humvees and Transport trucks simply were fucking NOT designed to be armored. :gulp:

Nuclear weapons....always an option. ;)

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 02:34 PM

They threw armor on them as an afterthought not as a main design.

Yeah, they also didn't design the Iraq BATTLE PLAN to fight a protracted guerilla war! Things change an need to be modified due to basic incompetence. Those Chevy's were AWESOME! You could go at least 1000 miles without breaking down.

PS Nicky...you could've supported this soldier buy using your tsunami donation instead of giving it to a bunch of Al Qaeda supporting Somilians that liked to drag our soldiers bodies through their streets.

Somalians? Do you actually watch or read news Assvibe? Typical, when you don't know anything just talk out of your ass(vibe). Try Sri Lanka (fighting Islamic Tamil rebels in the north) Indonesia (Muslim, but highly anti-Communist during the Cold War) and India, the worlds largest democracy.

Smile...fag!
http://www-personal.si.umich.edu/~handel/rant/images/lcrnew.jpg

DrMaddVibe
01-02-2005, 02:41 PM
The Blazers were diesels with low transmission transfer cases.

You had to wait to turn the engine over until the glowplugs warmed or risked blowing them and not starting the engines! Ever been in a firefight and had to wait 10 seconds? I don't know how many blazers I saw being towed to a rear area by a M113 because the rear axle had been sheared off because it couldn't clear rocks, trees or roadblocks. STFU!

For the love of God you do know that Somalia was affected by that right?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1104534612692&call_pageid=970599119419

C'mon Nick...try to keep up with the facts!

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 03:11 PM
The Blazers were diesels with low transmission transfer cases.

You had to wait to turn the engine over until the glowplugs warmed or risked blowing them and not starting the engines! Ever been in a firefight and had to wait 10 seconds? I don't know how many blazers I saw being towed to a rear area by a M113 because the rear axle had been sheared off because it couldn't clear rocks, trees or roadblocks. STFU!

Actually, I was agreeing with you. Now you are not smiling.

For the love of God you do know that Somalia was affected by that right?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1104534612692&call_pageid=970599119419

C'mon Nick...try to keep up with the facts!

Sorry, I stand corrected:
http://home.pacbell.net/zoraks/bullshit.jpg

DrMaddVibe
01-02-2005, 03:15 PM
I've got to know...what's bs?

Somalia being affected or Chevy blazers sucked in combat situations?

What would possess anyone with one iota of a functioning brain to put some charlatan's pic and the word bullshit up in some kind of smart assed retort?

Once again...your bad attitude got the better of you and clouded your better judgement.

SMILE!

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I've got to know...what's bs?

Somalia being affected or Chevy blazers sucked in combat situations?

What would possess anyone with one iota of a functioning brain to put some charlatan's pic and the word bullshit up in some kind of smart assed retort?

Once again...your bad attitude got the better of you and clouded your better judgement.

SMILE!

Who cares? Smile FAG!

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 03:28 PM
It is BULLSHIT. Because who cares about fucking Somalia. How many people died there? How much aid is going there? Do children deserve to be punished for the "sins" of their parents? This is fucking HUMANITARIAN aid.

DrMaddVibe
01-02-2005, 03:32 PM
So Nick...you decide who's worthy of your aid?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

At least I'm honest with everyone here and have stated numerous times that it's the troops that need our support. You deflect with non-issues like armored humvees that were planted by the elitist media! You've never been in a military humvee either otherwise you'd know what a deathtrap they really are and putting armor on them is just restricting the ability to bail out!

Nickdfresh
01-02-2005, 03:40 PM
So Nick...you decide who's worthy of your aid?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

At least I'm honest with everyone here and have stated numerous times that it's the troops that need our support. You deflect with non-issues like armored humvees that were planted by the elitist media! You've never been in a military humvee either otherwise you'd know what a deathtrap they really are and putting armor on them is just restricting the ability to bail out!

You just sound like a big, droning idiot Assvibe. What fucking SPIN is that! "They can't bail out...SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Hey, go back over there old man. Put you ASS in the unarmored Humvee. I bet a few soldiers would kick you in the balls for saying such a thing.

BTW, I drove one. But they didn't have roadside bombs (IED's) in the D.C. area. So I didn't really worry about it being a 'death trap.'

DrMaddVibe
01-03-2005, 06:36 AM
Since you've been in one...how'd you like putting your rucksack in there? That M-16 slid right in...NOT!

Most of the armor is being welded across the body panels and windows. If the vehicle is hit or rolled it makes for ricocheting bullets in the cabin and the oh so large windows an even smaller exit in an emergency(sarcasm...I mention this because you can't pick up on it!).

I'm glad you rode in a military humvee. Quite different from what they sell to the public isn't it? Engine compartment and suspension issues are noticable absent. Riding one on a normal road surface is like sleeping during a rain storm under a tin roof. They're made for offroad environments.

As far as soldiers kicking me in the balls...no. They actually like the care boxes I've sent to them. I've got plenty of letters back stating that they wish they could get "their" side of the story out and that they appreciate the support of the American public. Nick, if you were to post some of the shit you do outside of a military base...YOU'D be the one being kicked. Go have a beer with the "joes" and tell them about Rummy and Bush and what you think of them. I'd pay money for a front row seat to that!

You claim that you're prior service and a Republican but yet you act like you've forgotten both and joined up with the enemy. That's fine but have the courage to admit you changed and move on. Both are alive and well without your support!

BigBadBrian
01-03-2005, 08:16 AM
Since you've been in one...how'd you like putting your rucksack in there? That M-16 slid right in...NOT!

Most of the armor is being welded across the body panels and windows. If the vehicle is hit or rolled it makes for ricocheting bullets in the cabin and the oh so large windows an even smaller exit in an emergency(sarcasm...I mention this because you can't pick up on it!).

I'm glad you rode in a military humvee. Quite different from what they sell to the public isn't it? Engine compartment and suspension issues are noticable absent. Riding one on a normal road surface is like sleeping during a rain storm under a tin roof. They're made for offroad environments.

As far as soldiers kicking me in the balls...no. They actually like the care boxes I've sent to them. I've got plenty of letters back stating that they wish they could get "their" side of the story out and that they appreciate the support of the American public. Nick, if you were to post some of the shit you do outside of a military base...YOU'D be the one being kicked. Go have a beer with the "joes" and tell them about Rummy and Bush and what you think of them. I'd pay money for a front row seat to that!

You claim that you're prior service and a Republican but yet you act like you've forgotten both and joined up with the enemy. That's fine but have the courage to admit you changed and move on. Both are alive and well without your support!

Get 'em Vibe, get 'em. Nick has changed his tune...if he ever knew one in the first place. Sad indeed. :gulp:

Nickdfresh
01-03-2005, 08:33 AM

I bought my own rucksack and still have it, and I think you mean the M-16A2 5.56mm x 45mm rifle, correct. I guess maybe you used the M-1 Garand 30.06 in your day! I also qualified on the M-9 9mm.

So I should attribute all of your idiotic statements to sarcasm.

Drove one (temporarily), changed the oil, did a grease job on one (Jesus I think the thing had about 50 fucking fittings).

You can go back and at any time ride in the UNARMORED Humvee. Ya,' keep inventing shit. I bet a silent majority would respect being supported without having that support being the result of an embarrassing question asked at a phoney, photo-op.

Show me the letter in which they say they prefer riding in unarmored Humvees Dr.!

I bet the silent majority that ARE NOT reenlisting into the Nat'l Guard and are causing USANG & USAR recruitement goals to fall to 66% for the first time in history, yeah, they all just love their incompetent superiors. There is a conspiracy theory about soldiers trying to "frag" Wolfoshitz!

You claim that you're prior service and a Republican but yet you act like you've forgotten both and joined up with the enemy.

The enemies are the assholes that have incompetently fucked over this country. And it's YOUR blind yes-man acceptence of bad, self-destructive policies that has caused this disaster. Click on the link below. I dare you. Why don't you ask the former Secretary of the Army, & ret. Army Chief of Staff General Shinseki what they think of Rummy's transformation of the Military. You can't possibly defend this piece of shit, so keep making up flaming Humvee stories. You are full of it Dr.Assvibe. Maybe we need to install ejection seats into them?!

For more information on America's Enemies, click on the link below and watch PBS's Fronline below.

Rumsfeld's War (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/pentagon/)

Then tell me all about the war in Iraq, the one in which we are quickly losing intelligence about the insurgents because the people are too terrified to give us info anymore. C'mon MaddVibe, it's okay to be a Republican and complain about the war and especially Rummy the Dummy, many in congress are now doing so.

FORD
01-03-2005, 08:54 AM

Nuclear weapons....always an option. ;)

Praise Jesus! Let's murder every last one of them Islamoid heathens in the name of our fucked up distorted version of "God".

BCE's "God" = Guns, Oil , Drugs