PDA

View Full Version : Elder Bush, Clinton to Lead Relief Effort

BigBadBrian
01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Elder Bush, Clinton to Lead Relief Effort

Jan 3, 12:13 PM (ET)

By TERENCE HUNT

(AP) President Bush, center, announces, Monday, Jan. 3, 2005, in the Roosevelt room at the White House,...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20050103/mdf811318.jpg

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/BUSH_.sff_WHRE104_20050103105806.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush on Monday tapped two former presidents - his father, President George H.W. Bush, and his predecessor, President Clinton - to lead a nationwide, private fund-raising campaign to help victims of the Asian tsunamis.

"I ask every American to contribute as they are able to do so," Bush said in the White House's Roosevelt Room, the two former presidents at his side.

Clinton and the first President Bush are to lead an effort to encourage the American people and businesses to support relief and reconstruction activities in areas devastated by the tsunamis, the president said. He also ordered that American flags fly at half-staff all week in sympathy for "the victims of a great tragedy," particularly the many thousands of dead and orphaned children.

"In the coming days, Presidents Clinton and Bush will ask Americans to donate directly to reliable charities already providing help to tsunami victims," Bush said. "I've asked the former presidents to solicit contributions both large and small."

The president urged Americans to give money instead of other items. "Cash donations are most useful," he said.

The announcement came as the White House has been scrambling to repair an image battered at home and abroad by perceptions that U.S. aid for the tsunamis lagged behind other countries - especially considering the outpouring of support for America from other countries in the hours and days immediately following the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Bush faced criticism for waiting until three days after the Dec. 26 earthquake and tsunami to interrupt his holiday vacation and make his first personal comments about the deadly disaster. Other countries also were quicker to commit large amounts of aid money, and Japan has outpaced the U.S. total of $350 million pledged so far.

But private donations began pouring in from people in the United States and around the world at unprecedented levels almost immediately. Bush's press secretary, Scott McClellan, dismissed any suggestion the White House campaign to encourage private giving was behind that curve as well, saying the new effort was about ensuring that impressive flow continues.

"This will bring even more focus on the need to provide support for these international organizations in the affected areas," he said. "This is a human tragedy that is really beyond comprehension and we want to make sure we're doing everything we can both from the government perspective as well as private support to help those who are suffering."

Bush himself has not yet made a personal contribution, but plans to give an unspecified amount, McClellan said.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon has decided to send the USNS Mercy, a 1,000-bed hospital ship based at San Diego, to join the tsunami relief effort in south Asia, two officials said Monday, speaking on condition of anonymity. The ship, currently at sea for a previously scheduled test, is capable of receiving patients by helicopter or by ship, either at anchor or while underway.

Later Monday, Bush, accompanied by first lady Laura Bush as well as his father and Clinton, paid brief visits to the embassies of the four nations hit hardest by the disaster - Indonesia, Sri Lanka, India and Thailand.

At the Indonesian and Indian embassies, Mrs. Bush presented officials with bouquets of white roses and the foursome signed condolence books.

"We look forward to working with the Indonesian government to help those who need food, medicine, water and shelter to get their lives back in order so the great country of Indonesia can rise up from this disaster. May God bless the people of Indonesia," the president said in a brief statement at the Indonesian embassy. He made similar remarks at other embassies.

While at the Indian embassy, Bush said he told the ambassador he intends to travel to India this year. "In the meantime, though, our country stands with the people who have suffered," he said.

The president also was waiting to hear back from a delegation he dispatched to the region to assess what more the United States government can do to help. That team, led by Secretary of State Colin Powell and the president's brother, Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, arrived in the region Monday.

Powell said in Bangkok, Thailand, that the relief effort appears to be going so well that he sees no immediate need for more U.S. governmental money. Coordinating all the international aid is now the most urgent task, he said.

To solicit private contributions, the former presidents will travel the country and do media interviews as part of their effort, McClellan said.

Reflecting the White House's concerns about the damage done, Monday's appearance by Bush was the fifth statement - either written or verbal - from the president himself on the disaster in six days. And aides normally tight-lipped about the president's behind-the-scenes activities have been eagerly offering tidbits of Bush's calls to other leaders on the crisis and his monitoring activities.

DEMON CUNT
01-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Funny, when pressure is applied, GW pretends like he actually cares about people!

Prasie the Lard!

ELVIS
01-03-2005, 02:33 PM
What pressure ??

Man, Clinton looks older than Bush 41...

LoungeMachine
01-03-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
What pressure ??

Man, Clinton looks older than Bush 41...

Great insight:rolleyes:

Fuck off

ELVIS
01-03-2005, 02:43 PM
You sir, are stupid...

DEMON CUNT
01-03-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
You sir, are stupid...

Elvis, what's your secret?

How do you type and lick your own butthole at the same time? Amazing!

Screw sending monkeys into space, next time we are send you instead! You are a great American!

FORD
01-03-2005, 07:49 PM

POPPY: How the Hell can this fucking idiot be my son? Bar must have been shagging the mailman.

JUNIOR: Hard work....terra.....9-11....God speaks through Me ya fuckin terraists.....Saddam musta done that horrible wasabi thing.

CLINTON: That's tsunami, MORON!! Speaking of wasabi though, I'd sure like to hit that fine piece of sushi in the second row, huh?

DEMON CUNT
01-03-2005, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by FORD
POPPY: How the Hell can this fucking idiot be my son? Bar must have been shagging the mailman.

JUNIOR: Hard work....terra.....9-11....God speaks through Me ya fuckin terraists.....Saddam musta done that horrible wasabi thing.

CLINTON: That's tsunami, MORON!! Speaking of wasabi though, I'd sure like to hit that fine piece of sushi in the second row, huh?

Pure genius! LOL!

Seshmeister
01-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Bush senior is proving the old rule that eventually you get the face you deserve...

jcook11
01-03-2005, 09:11 PM
BUBBA ..."All these hot asian chicks that Ican feel their pain...YEEEHA!"

Dubya you are starting to scare me!

ODShowtime
01-03-2005, 09:15 PM
This is the cheesiest American PR move since the fuckin' air craft carrier. And they even trotted out ol' Clinton too.

Angel
01-04-2005, 02:50 PM
I can't believe they HAVE to do this! Don't you "private citizens" have the brains to make contributions without having to be told? :rolleyes:

twonabomber
01-04-2005, 03:01 PM

Clinton: "hmmm...did i get blown in this room...or not?"

ODShowtime
01-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Angel
I can't believe they HAVE to do this! Don't you "private citizens" have the brains to make contributions without having to be told? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Did you guys get your aircraft carrier out there yet?

Switch84
01-04-2005, 03:09 PM

:D No, we don't. We don't "have" to give at all. It's called free will. This disaster has brought out so many petty jealousies from other nations that it is downright sickening. Oh, the hypocrasy! It's like a bad 70s movie; "Bitch better have my money!" Fuck that notion that the US is the world's 'cash cow' to be drained by less wealthy mofos that are consumed with jealousy and hatred for us.

FYI: This country gives welfare checks to the world in record numbers, disasters or not, and on a frequent basis. The Saudis haven't coughed up any dinero as of yet, and most of the folks affected by this tragedy are Muslims. Shouldn't they help out their own?

Angel
01-04-2005, 03:10 PM
DART is on its way. Can do a hell of a lot more than an aircraft carrier.

How much have you PERSONALLY donated?

Switch84
01-04-2005, 03:20 PM

How much have you PERSONALLY donated?

:p Like I typed, 'FREE WILL'!! I've given absolutely nada, and don't plan on it. I have, btw, volunteered at the Red Cross over the past months to aid homeless and displaced families here in the metro Atlanta area. I've donated blood frequently, too. I give to outreach programs being ran by Christian and Jewish oraganizations, too. If you can't help the ones in your own backyard, how can you help the world? Charity begins at home. Noone will guilt-trip me into giving. It's all in vain if I give to the tsunami cause begrudgingly.

I could always change my mind. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. Either way it's my call.

ODShowtime
01-04-2005, 03:23 PM

Well, our helicopter teams have been delivering aid to isolated areas for a week or so. The most important week.

FORD
01-04-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
The Saudis haven't coughed up any dinero as of yet, and most of the folks affected by this tragedy are Muslims. Shouldn't they help out their own?

I wouldn't say "most". Indonesia is predominately Muslim, but there are a lot of Hindus and Buddhists in the affected areas as well. Not to mention all the European tourists and a handful of Americans (maybe Canadians even) who might be Christians or Jewish. And so Pinky doesn't get offended, there's always the possibility that a few atheists might have been in the mix.

Or at least they thought they were atheists until they saw that wave coming.... :(

Switch84
01-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I wouldn't say "most". Indonesia is predominately Muslim, but there are a lot of Hindus and Buddhists in the affected areas as well. Not to mention all the European tourists and a handful of Americans (maybe Canadians even) who might be Christians or Jewish. And so Pinky doesn't get offended, there's always the possibility that a few atheists might have been in the mix.

Or at least they thought they were atheists until they saw that wave coming.... :(

:p I don't care how they pray, really. What my concern is the fact that we're being ragged on for not jumping to the aid of these folks 5 seconds after the first waves hit. Our government gives a shitload of money to foreign interests constantly. We are NOT the world's welfare office. We are NOT obligated to give jack. The fact that we do (and in large amounts I may add) is admirable.

Quit yer bitchin'! And whatever happened to saying 'THANK YOU'???

Nickdfresh
01-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Switch84
:p I don't care how they pray, really. What my concern is the fact that we're being ragged on for not jumping to the aid of these folks 5 seconds after the first waves hit. Our government gives a shitload of money to foreign interests constantly. We are NOT the world's welfare office. We are NOT obligated to give jack. The fact that we do (and in large amounts I may add) is admirable.

Quit yer bitchin'! And whatever happened to saying 'THANK YOU'???

Shut up you lazy, greedy foreigners! Quit your bitching! And get my fucking resort cleaned up Macht Schnell!

Angel
01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
They were bitching about us not being there too, and the Swedes, and everyone else who they feel took their time. They complained the Western World took too long!

They were frightened, didn't realize the problems involved in GETTING THERE! Reconnaisance has to happen first so that nations can figure out what's needed and coordinate the efforts.

This is where you can really see the fundamental difference between Americans and Canadians. We're giving freely out of our pockets, and if we have to pay more in taxes next year to help out, so be it...

Yes Switch, Charity starts at home. I don't know about you, but I live on planet earth. :D

ELVIS
01-04-2005, 07:41 PM

This is where you can really see the fundamental difference between Americans and Canadians. We're giving freely out of our pockets, and if we have to pay more in taxes next year to help out, so be it...

Explain to me again, the "fundamental difference" ??

Angel
01-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Up here, we don't give a second thought to donating. Every day I see different stories of people making sacrifices so that they can help. From kids giving up their allowances and savings accounts (one 7 yr old girl gave up the $400 she had saved to buy a puppy, she said a puppy didn't seem very important anymore).

We don't think about where they come from, what colour their skin is, what religion they are, or whether or not they would be in a position to help us if the roles were reversed. We simply see people in need, and we help, it's the Canadian way. Over 70 million so far, from a population of just over 30 million people. That's strictly private donations, completely separate from any gov't funds.

Read the various posts that have been made regarding donating and the whole situation by your various "counterparts" on this board, and consider what I have just reported to you... THAT is the FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE between Canadian and US Citizens. You place your needs first, we put our needs on hold so that we can help others who need it more than us.

It blows my mind to read some of these posts, and then listen to your president stating that "America is a compassionate nation". Please, I haven't seen too much compassion from some of the folks on these boards so far. :(

Perhaps FORD can get some CBC news recorded and posted so that you can see the difference for yourself.

FORD
01-05-2005, 10:35 AM

Perhaps FORD can get some CBC news recorded and posted so that you can see the difference for yourself.

Not equipped to do that just yet. That's in the works for this year - if I can setup something that runs on Linux. (No more Micro$oft on the home PC)

ODShowtime
01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
THAT is the FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE between Canadian and US Citizens. You place your needs first, we put our needs on hold so that we can help others who need it more than us.

Angel, I'm disappointed by your mindless and incorrect generalizations.

Pink Spider
01-05-2005, 10:52 AM

Yep. We don't like the government stealing our money quite as much as you do. We actually have the nerve to think that we can spend it better than the government can. How naive of us.

Angel
01-05-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm afraid you've missed my point here. Que sera sera

BigBadBrian
01-05-2005, 02:11 PM
Up here, we don't give a second thought to donating. Every day I see different stories of people making sacrifices so that they can help. From kids giving up their allowances and savings accounts (one 7 yr old girl gave up the $400 she had saved to buy a puppy, she said a puppy didn't seem very important anymore).

We don't think about where they come from, what colour their skin is, what religion they are, or whether or not they would be in a position to help us if the roles were reversed. We simply see people in need, and we help, it's the Canadian way. Over 70 million so far, from a population of just over 30 million people. That's strictly private donations, completely separate from any gov't funds.

Read the various posts that have been made regarding donating and the whole situation by your various "counterparts" on this board, and consider what I have just reported to you... THAT is the FUNDAMENTAL DIFFERENCE between Canadian and US Citizens. You place your needs first, we put our needs on hold so that we can help others who need it more than us.

It blows my mind to read some of these posts, and then listen to your president stating that "America is a compassionate nation". Please, I haven't seen too much compassion from some of the folks on these boards so far. :(

Oh yeah, how much did you give to the Florida hurricane victims? Hmm? ;)

LoungeMachine
01-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by BigBadBrian
Oh yeah, how much did you give to the Florida hurricane victims? Hmm? ;)

Nothing.

It was part of God's plan

Thinning the Herd I believe you called it;)

DEMON CUNT
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
I think that we have to understand the international perspective on U.S. foreign policy. Look at what you personally spend your money on and you'll see what your priorities are. (Mine apparently are pot and cds!)

The world watches Bush Inc. spend billions ($148,445,390,000 and growing) on a poorly planned invasion of Iraq. Then a sleepy eyed Bush interrupts another one of his vacations and initially offers a paltry $15 Million.

I am not saying that the U.S. needs to pay everone's bills, but these actions do send messages to the rest of the world.

I do firmly believe that we should be using our military to make the word a better place and not to protect the property of any corporate rip-off artists.

ODShowtime
01-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey, our forefathers fought long and hard and DIED so we would have sweetheart deals with most of the world. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be able to exploit wage slaves around the world to make our goods.

If you want the same thing, get crackin' and take over the world like our grandparents did.

DEMON CUNT
01-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Hey, our forefathers fought long and hard and DIED so we would have sweetheart deals with most of the world. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be able to exploit wage slaves around the world to make our goods.

Thank Baby Jesus for brown people! I need cheap shoes!

http://www.sdnpbd.org/sdi/international_day/childrens_day/image/nochildlabour.jpg

ODShowtime
01-05-2005, 02:40 PM
I'm sayin'