PDA

View Full Version : My New Years Review (long Post)

conyo
01-04-2005, 01:12 AM
Alright folks....This is a long. long post. Please forgive me.

I been a DLR/CVH fan for twenty years and I've seen Dave 5 times in the past. So heres the review for the New Years Show.

Got to Universal right on time and landed about fourth row stage right, right in front of Toshi and next to the one loud ass speaker. My ears are still ringing. The band plays the overture and out pops our hero. Wearing a long sleeve buttin down and electric blue, quilted spandex pants. Dave was twirling the microphone like he was some kind of gunslinger. Bad Ass. Little movement, but bad ass. I kinda was disturbed because his pants were so tight I saw the outline of his schwartz (head and shaft) on the pants. If I was into that that would be one thing, but dude....gross. Plus his is 50. Dave looked more like Neil Diamond, than Diamond Dave. Dave needs a major makeover a'la Vince Neil. He needs to update the color (a little too fake brown looking.) Dave had a little pot belly and looked....stocky. Not the rail thin bad ass, with the 6 pack and the obliques of 82, more like.....Neil Diamond. Sorry. His kicks are done. He was going to kick, so he raised his knee and then motioned "forget it." I know. he's 50. At least he had the good sense not to take off his shirt. I've heard the boots for the Japan, Tacoma and Stubbs Barbeque. I feel like I know Dave's show as good as he does, banter, phrasing and song choice. Nothing changed.

"look at all the people here tonight!"
"The hell with Disney World, this is the happiest place on earth."
The whole Jack Daniels thing with the girl on the front row.
"Make's me wanna reach down between your legs."
"Play you white mother fucker"
"This is the pledge of alligiance...no it's the national anthem."
etc

I literally freaked the people around me when I was singing and saying the banter along with David. The set list was almost exactly the same, there were some changes for the fireworks, but almost identical. Dave need to reanalyze and rehearse off stage. I get the feeling that these guys rehearse on stage, since they tour so sporadically, hence why the setlist is the same. There are a ton a great openers to start the show than do have to be HFT. "I'm The One" "Unchained" "On Fire" "Romeo Delight" For the first time in years he's got the band to do it. Brian and Ray have the tone solid. Ray is the drummer AVH was 15 years ago. Awesome. Note to Dave, chuck Shoo Bop and even worse chuck Eruption. It makes it seem like a EVH tribute band. Not cool. C'mon Dave you're better than that. Another thing my friend who went to see the Sam and Dave tour with me had a great observation. Daves pacing of the show then and now is the same..relentless. No slow songs. (like Little Dreamer, Women and Children First.) You leave the show punch drunk. Not stoked like I did in Eat Em and Smile. Dave's show has become very formulaic. Even the jam in between YRGM and after SGMAD really don't change from city to city. It's great, but the same I've heard on tape. Change the encore. Please put Jump earlier and end it with You Really got Me or Everybody wants Some. Anything. You look tired of singing it. Which leads me to Dave's voice. The mother fucker can sing. He's still got it. He may not hit those high, high notes...but he's 50. Sammy can't either. Here is the thing, for the first time ever I am standing close enough to look in Dave's eyes. I realize a couple of things: 1-I am standing in front of an pop culture icon and a legend. This guy will eventually end up in the RRHOF. This guy is 80's rock personified and the keeper of the Rock and Roll flame. Like he said on the radio interview in Orlando. He is married an idea. An idea of rock and roll. 2-This guy cannot stop smiling. I don't trust people who don't stop smiling. They don't feel genuine. When I looked into his eyes, I still cannot do not know whether that smile is from the heart or is it just a costume piece. The impression I got is that he is tired. He's been working it and working it and working it for so many years for such limited results. It has to be dishearting to go out on New Years Eve in front of about 1,000 people, compared to 40,000-100,000 people in his high point. It's got to break his heart. I almost see that Dave's love affair is gone from it. He is holding on for that one last moment of glory (which is probably with VH) so he can ride off into the airbriushed sunset on a high note rhinocerus. He doesn't do it for the fans, he does it for the glory and himself. If he did for us, he'd have a great website, record great albums (Sorry Diamond Dave ain't one) and do things with us in mind. He does it for that last great adventure. The comeback. I looked into his eyes and I feel like he's lost his way and he frankly can't find the way out. When he sang Gigalo it seemed, he sang "I Ain't got Nobody!" he meant it. That song affected me in the concert, because I am going through similar things right now. (I am in the middle of a nasty divorce and feel alone and not appreciated.) When I looked at him I felt the same way. Not like my teenage hero, but as a human. Now if he did that more and put it into the music, maybe he'd find the way. DAve just be yourself. God bless you and thank you David Lee. God bless ya'

Alex

Sarge's Little Helper
01-04-2005, 01:12 AM

I been a DLR/CVH fan for twenty years and I've seen Dave 5 times in the past. So heres the review for the New Years Show.

Got to Universal right on time and landed about fourth row stage right, right in front of Toshi and next to the one loud ass speaker. My ears are still ringing. The band plays the overture and out pops our hero. Wearing a long sleeve buttin down and electric blue, quilted spandex pants. Dave was twirling the microphone like he was some kind of gunslinger. Bad Ass. Little movement, but bad ass. I kinda was disturbed because his pants were so tight I saw the outline of his schwartz (head and shaft) on the pants. If I was into that that would be one thing, but dude....gross. Plus his is 50. Dave looked more like Neil Diamond, than Diamond Dave. Dave needs a major makeover a'la Vince Neil. He needs to update the color (a little too fake brown looking.) Dave had a little pot belly and looked....stocky. Not the rail thin bad ass, with the 6 pack and the obliques of 82, more like.....Neil Diamond. Sorry. His kicks are done. He was going to kick, so he raised his knee and then motioned "forget it." I know. he's 50. At least he had the good sense not to take off his shirt. I've heard the boots for the Japan, Tacoma and Stubbs Barbeque. I feel like I know Dave's show as good as he does, banter, phrasing and song choice. Nothing changed.

"The hell with Disney World, this is the happiest place on earth."
The whole Jack Daniels thing with the girl on the front row.
"Make's me wanna reach down between your legs."
"This is the pledge of alligiance...no it's the national anthem."
etc

I literally freaked the people around me when I was singing and saying the banter along with David. The set list was almost exactly the same, there were some changes for the fireworks, but almost identical. Dave need to reanalyze and rehearse off stage. I get the feeling that these guys rehearse on stage, since they tour so sporadically, hence why the setlist is the same. There are a ton a great openers to start the show than do have to be HFT. "I'm The One" "Unchained" "On Fire" "Romeo Delight" For the first time in years he's got the band to do it. Brian and Ray have the tone solid. Ray is the drummer AVH was 15 years ago. Awesome. Note to Dave, chuck Shoo Bop and even worse chuck Eruption. It makes it seem like a EVH tribute band. Not cool. C'mon Dave you're better than that. Another thing my friend who went to see the Sam and Dave tour with me had a great observation. Daves pacing of the show then and now is the same..relentless. No slow songs. (like Little Dreamer, Women and Children First.) You leave the show punch drunk. Not stoked like I did in Eat Em and Smile. Dave's show has become very formulaic. Even the jam in between YRGM and after SGMAD really don't change from city to city. It's great, but the same I've heard on tape. Change the encore. Please put Jump earlier and end it with You Really got Me or Everybody wants Some. Anything. You look tired of singing it. Which leads me to Dave's voice. The mother fucker can sing. He's still got it. He may not hit those high, high notes...but he's 50. Sammy can't either. Here is the thing, for the first time ever I am standing close enough to look in Dave's eyes. I realize a couple of things: 1-I am standing in front of an pop culture icon and a legend. This guy will eventually end up in the RRHOF. This guy is 80's rock personified and the keeper of the Rock and Roll flame. Like he said on the radio interview in Orlando. He is married an idea. An idea of rock and roll. 2-This guy cannot stop smiling. I don't trust people who don't stop smiling. They don't feel genuine. When I looked into his eyes, I still cannot do not know whether that smile is from the heart or is it just a costume piece. The impression I got is that he is tired. He's been working it and working it and working it for so many years for such limited results. It has to be dishearting to go out on New Years Eve in front of about 1,000 people, compared to 40,000-100,000 people in his high point. It's got to break his heart. I almost see that Dave's love affair is gone from it. He is holding on for that one last moment of glory (which is probably with VH) so he can ride off into the airbriushed sunset on a high note rhinocerus. He doesn't do it for the fans, he does it for the glory and himself. If he did for us, he'd have a great website, record great albums (Sorry Diamond Dave ain't one) and do things with us in mind. He does it for that last great adventure. The comeback. I looked into his eyes and I feel like he's lost his way and he frankly can't find the way out. When he sang Gigalo it seemed, he sang "I Ain't got Nobody!" he meant it. That song affected me in the concert, because I am going through similar things right now. (I am in the middle of a nasty divorce and feel alone and not appreciated.) When I looked at him I felt the same way. Not like my teenage hero, but as a human. Now if he did that more and put it into the music, maybe he'd find the way. DAve just be yourself. God bless you and thank you David Lee. God bless ya'

Alex

Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.

conyo
01-04-2005, 01:24 AM
"Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on."

Huh?

Alex

ELVIS
01-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Dude, get over yourself...

tarpit
01-04-2005, 10:11 AM
Conyo, You sound like Daves fucking psychologist.Dave is 50 but cant possibly look and feel like he did in 82.Who does?
I take my hat off to any musician and or porformer who can still bring us the good stuff after all these years...Thanks to the King!!
David lee Roth

jojo2371
01-04-2005, 01:07 PM
good call tarpit ! even at 50 dave still rocks the house and delivers the goods

fresh
01-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Mick is doin it. Steve Tyler still has it. Dave needs to bring himself back up to par. oh and one more thing. Drop the comedy bit. May have been funny 82 when he could do no wrong but today he needs to realize he's a rocker not a comedian.

First Post from the No. 1 DLR fan

guwapo_rocker
01-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by fresh
Mick is doin it. Steve Tyler still has it. Dave needs to bring himself back up to par. oh and one more thing. Drop the comedy bit. May have been funny 82 when he could do no wrong but today he needs to realize he's a rocker not a comedian.

Suggesting Dave drop the comedy suggests you know little about him.

You are not his number one fan.

Nickdfresh
01-04-2005, 04:59 PM

You sound overly critical and judgemental for "Number ONE Fan" Status.

Are you so picky and critical when evaluating Mick and Steven?

"Dave, Im yer' number ONE fan"--Fresh!
http://www.exclaim.ca/images/up-misery.jpg

Nickdfresh
01-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by conyo

Got to Universal right on time and landed about fourth row stage right, right in front of...blah blah blah blah blah full of shit...blah blah blah...could have been any Dave show....blah blah blah pyschoanalyse Dave...blah blah blah full of shit....I am attention whore....blah blah blah blah blah...

Alex

lms2
01-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Were those the interesting stories as well?

conyo
01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
I never said he wasn't great. He was great on New Years. He is, has and will be my hero. The man is everything I am not. I just hate it when he sells himself short and starts acting like a Vaudeville comedian. when I know in my heart that if he put his mind to it he would DESTROY everything out there. I live to see the day that the public recognizes him for the genius that he is. He's a Rock and Roll Icon. Problem is he's given up, almost as if he thinks that without Ed and company he can be #1 again. If that's true (which I hope it isn't.) that sucks.

Alex

light 'em up!
01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I just hate it when he sells himself short and starts acting like a Vaudeville comedian

Dude, you definitely don't get David Lee Roth.

fresh
01-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Back to No. 1 fan, thats me. In response to me being critical I am only comparing DLR to 2 other lead vocalist who have maintained that godlike rock star, singer status. Truley those are just 2 examples of rock singers who still have the attitude. it's all about attitude and knowing you are the best in the room. Now at 50 this is a tall order to ask. This is a young mans game mind you. You certainly don't expect Michael Jordon to be the greatest b-ball player now that he's 40 something. Just as you don't expect a great kickass musician to be as kickass as they were at the beginning of their career. And both Mick and Steve have a huge advantage over Dave in that their bands / members are still backing them up. They still have quality musicians to collaborate with. All in All DLR is the greatest of alltime. At his peak no one before or after will ever touch what he could do at the peak of his career. Maybe Plant and Jagger come in a close second/3rd, but bar none Dave was the greatest.

Today he is not the same man nor most of us are. But his own image is what he has to live up to and again that is a tall order. Still he has within his power to make changes and better himself. But it's all about attitude. And attitude in this business equals how much ass do you want your music to kick. You listen to early VH. Listen to the vocals. You do the math. Take his music then minus what he put out recently and you get WOW! a big gap of desire to go out and show everyone that you are about taking your music to a level where no one else can match. Thats early VH. Thats early DLR. Thats kicking ass.

Finally, I'm only being critical because I would love nothing more than to see him comeback and blow everybody away. This may not be possible without a reunion but even if that doesn't take place he can make the necessary changes to gain some musical respect back. No. 1 quit the shtick. I mean I know he's always had this great sence of humor and I'm not asking him to change his personality. It's just that he went from being a great musician who happen to have a great sence of humor to a mediocre musician who wants to be a comedian. All I'm saying is get back to your basics and think "I wanna kick somebody's ass" rather than take a JD bottle for the 1000th time and shoot it at some chick in the front row. Thats not cool man. Thats not funny. Thats shtick.

conyo
01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
"Finally, I'm only being critical because I would love nothing more than to see him comeback and blow everybody away.....All I'm saying is get back to your basics and think "I wanna kick somebody's ass" rather than take a JD bottle for the 1000th time and shoot it at some chick in the front row. Thats not cool man. Thats not funny. Thats shtick."

YES!!! Thank you so very much for getting my post.

You see from what I've read Fresh and I LOVE Dave. We don't like what he's doing. All we are saying is get back to basics, get back the attitude, earn back the respect. Kick ass.

Alex

conyo
01-04-2005, 08:08 PM
I've said this a thousand times, Dave needs a REAL manager and a producer to put him back on the spotlight. When that happens....watch out. Heads are gonna roll. Asses are gonna be kicked.

83USFESTIVAL
01-04-2005, 08:15 PM
DUDE
GET OFF YOUR SOAP BOX. I WAS STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU AND DAVE WAS IN ALL HIS GLORY DOING WHAT HE DOES BEST...PLEASING THE FANS. AS FAR AS YOUR STTATEMENT "I would love nothing more than to see him comeback and blow everybody away..." YOU MUST HAVE BEEN WATCHING SOMETHING ELSE. MAYBE NEXT YEAR YOU CAN GO TO A CLAY AIKEN CONCERT. IF YOU KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT DLR YOU WOULD KNOW THAT HIS COMEDIC COMMENTS ARE WHO DLR IS. THE JACK INCIDENT WAS GREAT. GRAB YOUR BALLS AND BE A MAN.

rustoffa
01-04-2005, 08:42 PM
He was great on New Years.I just hate it when he sells himself short and starts acting like a Vaudeville comedian.

You do know that Jolson was a major influence for Dave right?

Vaudevillian as performance....he added his original comedic perspective.

"Ah say, Ah say"...."Good God Y'all", "Wha-Howw", "Whoah baby", "Motherfucker", etc.

It's a complicated melting pot worthy of an abacus.

If you have doubts regarding your convictions, grab a fucking calculator.

conyo
01-04-2005, 08:57 PM
"GRAB YOUR BALLS AND BE A MAN."

Don't do that. I've never insulted you, there is no need for that. I am just speaking my opinion. Dave was great, he could be better. That is all.

Alex

PS - Clay Aiken is a fag!!!! Let's all remember that.

conyo
01-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Jolson was an influence. Granted. But Dave has become a caricature of what he was. Dave get back the cocksure swagger and the I own this room attitude. I am not saying don't do songs like Ice Cream Man. Just lose the caricature. It's my opinion.

conyo
01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Hey 83USFestival. You were behind me at the concert? Were you with like three guys? No joke, were you?

When I wrote comeback. I meant to say "Do a comeback" not comeback to Orlando.

Hey, next time we are at the same venue. I'll buy you a beer.

Alex

PS - Clay Aiken....gay as a tangerene!

lms2
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
So much for giving an honest opinion Conyo... what did you expect from the Roth Army?

But for the sake of argument and in Conyo's defense... what is sexy on an 18 year old hottie often looks out of place on a middle age housewife... guys, don't say it aint so!

Also, this isn't the first post saying "Hey Dave, give us some new material."

That is one of the things that bothers me in a lot of interviews with Dave is how he always goes on about how "familiar" he is. Though I never want him to quit being Diamond Dave... I feel like he is holding on to the past and it is blocking him from moving on. It is almost like he is saying that is all he had to offer, and there is nothing left... and we all know that is bullshit.

ELVIS
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
No wonder your wife is leaving you...

You are one irritating individual...

conyo
01-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Preach on. Brother man. Preach on.

Alex

conyo
01-04-2005, 09:56 PM
You and my ex are right, not only am I irritating....I have a two inch penis; I am lousy in bed; I climax way too quickly; I give wet saliva filled kisses; I rarely shower; eat Lunchables for dinner; I scratch my ass and smell my fingers and had my ex smell them too; I pee on the seat and leave the seat up; I never flush; I wipe my boogers on the couch and I think that Christopher Lowell is a creative genius.

But I still think that DLR is the shit...Sammy's an idiot. Ed's a drunk. Alex is an fucking asshole. Mike is a fool. Ray, Toshi and Brian kick ass!

Alex

PS - By the way, I just checked Clay Aiken is still a fag!

ELVIS
01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Hahaha...:D

rustoffa
01-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Jolson was an influence. Granted. But Dave has become a caricature of what he was. Dave get back the cocksure swagger and the I own this room attitude. I am not saying don't do songs like Ice Cream Man. Just lose the caricature. It's my opinion.

We welcome opinions as well as donations here at the Roth Army.

The "caricature" slant amuses me the most regarding high-brow pontifications.

I still have no problem writing the majority of it off as "either you get Dave or you don't".

I'm thankful for the separation.

Dave's schtick is a sieve of the highest caliber.

If any aspect of it spanning the course of some 25 years irked you.....well, I dunno....go read Atlas Shrugged and eat a plate of spaghetti.

conyo
01-04-2005, 10:23 PM
"Dave's schtick is a sieve of the highest caliber.

If any aspect of it spanning the course of some 25 years irked you.....well, I dunno....go read Atlas Shrugged and eat a plate of spaghetti."

I appreciate the comments and I respect your opinion. I actually had to look up the "Atlas Shrugged" reference.

Touche'
Alex

rustoffa
01-04-2005, 10:29 PM
"Dave's schtick is a sieve of the highest caliber.

If any aspect of it spanning the course of some 25 years irked you.....well, I dunno....go read Atlas Shrugged and eat a plate of spaghetti."

I appreciate the comments and I respect your opinion. I actually had to look up the "Atlas Shrugged" reference.

Touche'
Alex

You actually hit the dartboard.
I had to look up how to spell "sieve".
:D

BIG GOOSE
01-05-2005, 12:34 AM

Dave's ALWAYS been funny.Where the fuck have you been since '78.
No 1 fan like fuck:rolleyes:

spmusicplyr
01-05-2005, 12:38 AM
man leave conyo alone. at least he has enogh balls to be honest about a review.....

conyo, i've gotten yelled at for being honest about dave too. you know what? fuck them. i come here to download, chat a little, and learn about dlr. i have gotten a lot of valuable info from these boards, like why the EEAS band broke up...good shit that i learned.

a lot of these posts are bullshit, and a lot of people are fucking crazy, like the member i mention in the bottom of each of my posts.

conyo, thanks for being honest. i always am too. i dont hate dlr, i just call what i see

Matt White
01-05-2005, 12:50 AM
:D

"Coach, your crazy."
Coach: "Crazy?!? Like a doorknob!!!"

aesop
01-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by lms2
So much for giving an honest opinion Conyo... what did you expect from the Roth Army?

But for the sake of argument and in Conyo's defense... what is sexy on an 18 year old hottie often looks out of place on a middle age housewife... guys, don't say it aint so!

Also, this isn't the first post saying "Hey Dave, give us some new material."

That is one of the things that bothers me in a lot of interviews with Dave is how he always goes on about how "familiar" he is. Though I never want him to quit being Diamond Dave... I feel like he is holding on to the past and it is blocking him from moving on. It is almost like he is saying that is all he had to offer, and there is nothing left... and we all know that is bullshit.

Interesting take, LMS...
...I was a bit dissapointed to read that his NYE show was identical to the tour...You'd think he and the guys could've pulled something out for the occasion...

But I still wish I was there...

ELVIS
01-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by spmusicplyr
man leave conyo alone. at least he has enogh balls to be honest about a review.....

Shut the hell up!

This idiot ties his failed life into a DLR review, and we're supposed to appreciate his honesty ??

Give me a break!

You sound like you're sucking his dick...

:elvis:

Rikk
01-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by lms2
what is sexy on an 18 year old hottie often looks out of place on a middle age housewife... guys, don't say it aint so!

Well, I can definitely say I WOULDN'T want to see a picture of you with a lot showing!!!:eek:

ELVIS
01-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Ims has a nice body, If what I saw was really her...

Rikk
01-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Ims has a nice body, If what I saw was really her...

I don't know what pics to trust around here. I saw one of her too, and...

But who knows?:eek:

The Alexster666
01-05-2005, 01:13 AM
conyo was not paying attention to the kick ass concert, rather focusing on the "swartz" ...dude, their are some things dude's don't mention to other dudes.... <----

The Alexster666
01-05-2005, 01:20 AM
and i agree...i have 9/13/03 live at beacon in NYC (my 21st bday!) on DVD and it is identical to the other two recent shows i saw...although, when i did see DLR in 1999 at AC, new jersey, he only had a three piece band and was a lot more talk between songs; kind of told stories about the past...kind of quoteing himself, narrating his book...still was cool though, and he did alittle dance with a joint which he than through into the crowd! i was only 16 than...still remember it all...

ELVIS
01-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by The Alexster666
conyo was not paying attention to the kick ass concert, rather focusing on the "swartz"

No, he was paying attention to his own personal failures...

One of which, he may percieve as having a small penis...

No conyo...

Your wife didn't leave you because of your small penis...

It was because of your over analyzing, retarted personality...

Get a LIFE!

Not everyone can be as PERFECT as you!

Not even David Lee Roth!

The Alexster666
01-05-2005, 01:32 AM
but he said "outline of his schwartz (head and shaft) on the pants" was he salivating at the time? that is y his wife left...

ELVIS
01-05-2005, 02:00 AM
Possibly...

Panamark
01-05-2005, 03:23 AM
Hey what else can you expect from a dude named Alex ?

ELVIS
01-05-2005, 03:25 AM
True.. true...:D

Nickdfresh
01-05-2005, 05:30 AM

PS - Clay Aiken....gay as a tangerene!

How was his show?

pablo
01-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Alex
Lay off Dave. Have you ever thought that the EMS thing might be taking up alot of his time, and hate to say it but music might not be his priority right now. Everybody gets tired of doing the same old shit day after day. Dave is trying something new. Iwas at theNYE show and had a blast listening to old VH songs. Rehash all you want Dave!!

conyo
01-05-2005, 09:02 AM
I am feeling a lotta love in this post...
I am a man with a failed marriage, that I admit.
I have never been to or wanna go to a Clay Aiken show, never even heard any his songs.
Sorry....

That I friggin love DLR, will drive anywhere in Florida to see him and will buy any product he puts out. ABSOFUCKINGLUTELY.

I will never pay money for a Van Hagar product or concert.

Don't confuse my criticism of my idol with disloyalty.

Say anything you want I can take it. Call me a fag. Sure, why not. My marriage sucks. Fine. I am not a man. Whatever. I stand by my review and I am not retracting one word.

Bring it,
Alex

lms2
01-05-2005, 09:04 AM
bored eh?

conyo
01-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Yep!!!

lms2
01-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Well I think you are lucky to have gotten to see Dave live for New Years Eve!

Maybe the others are just jealous?

conyo
01-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Thanks,

I was lucky. Contrary to popular belief I loved the show. I can't think of a better way to ring in the New Year. I will see dave any and every chance I get. Good or bad I am his fan. I will never leave his side.

I would love to be his manager.
Alex

lms2
01-05-2005, 09:27 AM
I guess I read your post the way you intended it, as I didn't feel it was that bad, but posting a review of a Dave show on a Dave site is sorta when your woman asks "Do these pants make my ass look fat?" Constructive criticism is not much appreciated! :D

I think Dave would drive you nuts if you were his manager.

Dave is Dave. He does what he wants, when he wants, where and how.

fresh
01-05-2005, 09:41 AM
"Dave's ALWAYS been funny.Where the fuck have you been since '78.
No 1 fan like fuck."

Look man I agree. He always has had a unique personality. The difference is yesterday it was the music that put him on the top. And the personality / the jokes just made him that much more likable. You know, DLR was like the greatest, Oh and he didn't even take himself that seriously - ala the jokes. It was like this guy can sing, dance, kick anyones ass and oh, he's kinda funny too. BUT remember this, back in '78 it was the music that was the focus. It just so happened to be he was good at throwing a couple of one liners out. I still appreciate his ability to please a crowd and get them going. Never want to see him lose that ability. Still has it. I just want him to put the music first. Imagine Richard Prior healthy again and he makes a comeback on the comedy circuit. What would happen if he came out and told the exact same stories/jokes he did back in '82 "Live On The Sunset Strip". Well, I'm sure you'd agree those jokes wouldn't be as funny today as they were then and neither is the JD bottle or same one-liners we keep hearing from Dave. And dude, I know he invented spandex but who in their right mind today is not going to laugh at that.

I'm just saying that here you had a man in '78 who was an inventor. He wrote the rules. Go back and invent something new. Right some new rules. Unless you want to be a known as a retro act, which is what he's doing. He needs to go in a different direction. Come up with some new kickass music, a new look, a serious attitude to kick some serious ass. I agree w/ earlier post. He should get new management, bring Ted Templeman back and get back to basics. If he's hungry enough that is?

The Alexster666
01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
dude...give it a rest and get some sleep!!!

junkband1000
01-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Alex is gay and Balance is his favorite album,

conyo
01-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Ahh....nope!

Matt White
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
“ Originally posted by spmusicplyr

Shut the hell up!

This idiot ties his failed life into a DLR review, and we're supposed to appreciate his honesty ??

Give me a break!

HAHA!!!

fresh
01-05-2005, 02:42 PM
People are funniest when they're not trying to be funny. Chicks are the hottest when there not trying so hard to be. Just being is the key. It's an attitude as I said before. Once you try and be something you aren't, it becomes real obvious. In '78 DLR was the man every lead singer wanted to be like. Sing, dance, entertain the crowd with some swagger and orginal laughs. He was King. BUT, he had the music to back up his attitude, and because of that music he could say no jokes that weren't funny. He could do no wrong in otherwords. People remember that and love that about Dave. But today thats the part of his act that he's holding onto most, not the music. I mean when your writing and rehearsing jokes, one liners but your a rock singer, not a comedian, well it's just time for some change. He needs to let his fans know he is serious about what he does for a living, make music. That was the focus back in '78 my man trust me. The same jokes (JD bottle), the same lines (look at all the people hear tonight), the same threads (bright blue spandex), the same songs - all which are great but how about mixing it up w/ some classic VH rareities. Ones you don't normally haer on the radio, in concert, and definitely not from Vhager. Stuff off of VHII or WACF. Somebody earlier said move Jump around in the lineup. I say fuck that. How bout dropping that from the lineup. Thats the lamest CVH song ever and is not an exciting finish to a show when you compare to all other CVH.

Finally I'd say I agree with whoever recommended new management. I mean either you want to be a retro act or you want to be a musician and create something that will blow peoples head off (like all first 6 VH records). Dave - go back and get Ted Templeman to produce as a favor and get the DLR Band guitarist who helped to write music for Daves best solo material on DLR Band record.

ELVIS
01-05-2005, 03:02 PM
Call me a fag. I am not a man.

Bring it,
Alex

Fag...

vhrightnow
01-05-2005, 03:13 PM
tell me why dave finds the need to play eruption at his shows???......nothing to do with him whatsoever......

The Alexster666
01-05-2005, 03:16 PM
because, i know i wanna hear it if i am also going to hear all the other classics...it is part of the show

lms2
01-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Okay, if you could only see one show, and here are your choices, which would you choose...

Dave, with either Classic VH or his current band, doing all new material.

or Dave with his current band playing only classic VH with a few Dave solo songs thrown in for giggles and grins.

(Dave with Classic VH doing classics isn't an option at this point... maybe in the future!)

DLR7884
01-05-2005, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by vhrightnow
tell me why dave finds the need to play eruption at his shows???......nothing to do with him whatsoever......

Dave wrote it. :)

He was just being nice allowing Ed to take credit.

DLR7884
What other guitar solo would he put into the show, asshole?

spmusicplyr
01-05-2005, 04:49 PM
you guys are fucking sick. conyo excluded.

its the same show.

look at all the people here tonight
can you hear me out there
someday, someday, im gonna smoke joints that big
same setlist
no new material
hardly any solo material played
jack daniels jack off
im gonna reach down between your legs...

i love the dude but how are you supposed to make people see you play if you've done the same act for so long?

spmusicplyr
01-05-2005, 04:51 PM
i almost forgot...

live infront of your naked, steaming eyes
thunderbolt in your cheerios
im gonna fuck your girlfriend
like a band of fucking angels
and everytime he forgets the words!!

Thetruthbaby
01-05-2005, 07:49 PM
10 to 1 this guy thinks that 5150 "rocks". Saw Dave 2 times last year and he was great. Fans were going apeshit the whole time at both shows. No he isn't the high flying acrobat he was in 81' or 84', but then again what band or performer is still the same 20 years later. Saw the The Who a couple of years ago and they were great, crowd loved them. Did they have the unending energy they had in the middle 70's? NO. But they were still great and put on a very good show. For those of you critical of DLR who have VH1 Classic take a look at MCrue on their new tv ads for their reunion tour. They sure as hell aren't the same young whippersnappers that conquered the rock world in the middle/late 80's. Vince (while in better shape than he has been) is still nowhere near the condition he was in the 80's. Nikki Sixx is noticeably fatter and wearing baggy clothes to hide the excess weight. Tommy Lee's drumkit is nearing a 3 piece these days and poor Mick Mars is hanging on for dear life (all due respect). But their fans will go see them and realize of course it's not 1985 or 1987 and they'll never be the same as they were back then. Hardly any of these bands can truly equal what they once were. You can't cheat nature forever. The thing that helps bands like The Stones or Aerosmith is that with the exception of their frontmen none of those bands moved around or did anything on stage anyway. Same with Rush (whom I adore). And Jagger and Tyler DO NOT move like they did in 75' or even 85'. Sure they still move but not like they used to . Go watch some video tape and you'll see. The bottom line is that DLR is a legend and still has good vocal ability for his age. His band is fantastic (better than Van Halen) and he still has that one key element hagar never had. CHARISMA.

spmusicplyr
01-06-2005, 04:29 AM
hah dude all i've been saying since i joined was that dave isnt like dave in 1981...so he should quit acting like its 1981...

kentuckyklira
01-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by jojo2371
good call tarpit ! even at 50 dave still rocks the house and delivers the goods Exactly. It´s not as if he had to get on stage for the money. So, I doubt he´d skip the party and getting drunk and all on new year´s eve if it weren´t for the fans!

Plus, I guess it must be real dificult to get a kick ass abnd together nowadays, that can play the kind of music Dave wants to as well as they should, considering the musicians Dave has played with in the past!

tarpit
01-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Hey all you forum posters,
Ive been reading all your comments on DLR past and present,his recent show in orlando,ect... and i dont see where your comeing from.Saying Dave is Fat,liveing in the past,and needs to try something new and move on is a bad review....and inacurate.
Remember 1984?
1.Dave left VH to pursue a movie carrer
2.Made the movie but the movie company sold out and decided not to release the flick.
3.Dave then puts together a band with the top three smokeing musicicans in the world ala Steve Via and Billy Shehan and kicks VH`s ass with eatm and smile.This makes history and record sales with a guitarist that shreds ED.
4.Next album Skyscraper hits number one the following year with a number one hit for 8 weeks
5.A little aint enough comes out 2 years later with a new lineup and another number 1 hit A little aint enough with MTV airplay well behind it.
6.Then if this wasnt enough Dave goes off and invents a vegas show and trys to follow up on what Elvis left behind...What Balls!
7.He then reapears to the rock seen with Your filthy little smile.Not my favorite album but very different in style and groove of the past.
8.Several albums follow like The DLR band back to the old VH style again with a new band and the stuff he`s known for, and then Diamond Dave this year which is a total twist in style and vocals for Dave.
Dave has proven himself time and again that he loves to take chances,ride the wave,reinvent himself,and record great original and classic music with his great style and sense of humor.

Keep up the good work Dave,Love all the new stuff!

spmusicplyr
01-06-2005, 03:22 PM
#6 came after #7

DavidLeeNatra
01-06-2005, 03:25 PM
#6 came after #7

and I must have missed the "your filthy little smile"-album...does someone have a copy to download for me?

spmusicplyr
01-06-2005, 10:31 PM
yea i need one too. maybe its on my shelf, next to the copy of, your filthy little twat.

rustoffa
01-06-2005, 10:34 PM
yea i need one too. maybe its on my shelf, next to the copy of, your filthy little twat.

That's some LOL shit right there.
:lol:

LoungeMachine
01-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Shut the hell up!

Give me a break!

Such a Christian.

You kiss your pastor with that mouth?

hypocrite:rolleyes:

spmusicplyr
01-08-2005, 02:32 PM
guess this thread is dead!

tarpit
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Got a copy of your filthy little mouth although its on cassette.If you`d like a copy I can burn one for ya and you can pass it around.Its real hard to find.Give me your mailing address and ill get it out to ya asap...Tarpit Dan