PDA

View Full Version : What would you include in a Classic VH Dave era DVD/CD Boxset?

Wolverine
01-05-2005, 01:39 PM
I'ts long overdue. What rare items or unusual songs, videos and other paraphernalia would you want in a dave era dvd/cd boxed set?

DavidLeeNatra
01-05-2005, 01:44 PM
to make it simple...just EVERYTHING unreleased featuring diamond dave...

Carmine
01-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

Yep, I'll second that Natra!:cool:

Coyote
01-05-2005, 01:48 PM
'Natra, I believe you just spoke for the entire Army... :cool:

DLR7884
01-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Yep.

DLR7884
I want a perfectly clean copy of the 25 song demo and a live disc from each tour w/Dave in my boxset.

Carmine
01-05-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
DLR7884
I want a perfectly clean copy of the 25 song demo and a live disc from each tour w/Dave in my boxset.

Ragoo
A live disc from each Roth tour would be OUTSTANDING!

DLR7884
01-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
Ragoo
A live disc from each Roth tour would be OUTSTANDING!

Wouldn't it?

DLR7884
Live DVD like Zeppelin's would be nice too.

Carmine
01-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Wouldn't it?

DLR7884
Live DVD like Zeppelin's would be nice too.

Hopefully, in the not to distant future! Warner Bros. knows where the $$$ is in VH.

Terry
01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
I'd go light on the previously released studio tracks, rather sub many of them with live recordings selected from each of the 6 classic era tours. Throw in the Simmons demos, plus alternate takes of other studio tracks.

DVD should be totally Zep-style, agreed. 5 to 6 hours minimum. Maybe even a 3 DVD set.

If it was done right, I'd shell out $50-75 easy for it. Contrast that with the amount of money many would be willing to shell out for Van Hagar in any form. Feel an awesome classic box set could easily make more money than Best Of Both Worlds did, if not sell as many copies. People are fuckin' starved for live classic Van Halen. Van Hagar had official live releases from the 1986 tour, the 1991 tour and a pay-per-view of the 1994 tour. Now they're talking about a DVD in 2005 of the 2004 tour. Fuckin' christ!!!! Those sheep are positively oversaturated compared to us classic fans. I dig trading boots, but the quality is never as good as cleaned up, official releases.

Fuckin' Alex.

DLR_EngineRoom
01-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by The Godfather
I'ts long overdue. What rare items or unusual songs, videos and other paraphernalia would you want in a dave era dvd/cd boxed set?

DavidLeeNatra
01-05-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by DLR_EngineRoom

man...alexis and the bass player look like mogoloids in this picture...well...they usually look like ths...

DLR7884
01-05-2005, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't seperate the instrumentals onto their own disc.

DLR7884
I don't want studio shit that's been released on a VH boxset!

academic punk
01-05-2005, 08:53 PM
I would like to see Dave interviews. Come on, almost as good as the music was Dave's appearances and statements (hence "Rothisms").

Remember his appearance on Letterman?

"Hey, Dave, how about taking off the sunglasses?"
"Can't be done."
"Why not?"
(Picks up his sunglasses to reveal BLOODSHOT eyes) "'Cause I'm too damn SSSSSTONED!!!"

Remember his "sting" on MTV to drive across America? (actually, that was done on the back of the Crazy From The Heat EP...scratch that)

The vid that preceded their arrival on the US Festival stage...
The parachute jump...
The appearance they did after Dave had busted his nose, and was wearing tape to keep the damn thing in place, and everyone thought it was some kind of fashion statement...

This was a band that was designed and displayed as A WAY OF LIFE: the hedonistic, devil-may-care Blonde California rock star, who men want to be and women want to be with.

I couldn't give a shit about another Ed 20 minute guitar solo.

DavidLeeNatra
01-06-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
I would like to see Dave interviews. Come on, almost as good as the music was Dave's appearances and statements (hence "Rothisms").

Remember his appearance on Letterman?

"Hey, Dave, how about taking off the sunglasses?"
"Can't be done."
"Why not?"
(Picks up his sunglasses to reveal BLOODSHOT eyes) "'Cause I'm too damn SSSSSTONED!!!"

Remember his "sting" on MTV to drive across America? (actually, that was done on the back of the Crazy From The Heat EP...scratch that)

The vid that preceded their arrival on the US Festival stage...
The parachute jump...
The appearance they did after Dave had busted his nose, and was wearing tape to keep the damn thing in place, and everyone thought it was some kind of fashion statement...

This was a band that was designed and displayed as A WAY OF LIFE: the hedonistic, devil-may-care Blonde California rock star, who men want to be and women want to be with.

I couldn't give a shit about another Ed 20 minute guitar solo.

nothing but fucking YEAH !!!

Panamark
01-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Im not asking for much, just a complete live Van Halen concert, with
good video and sound quality.

That would be great thanks !

(And I would pay $100 without a second thought)

ODShowtime
01-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Don't you hate when you are ready to just throw your money at the fuckers for the right product and they won't sell it to you?

DavidLeeNatra
01-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Don't you hate when you are ready to just throw your money at the fuckers for the right product and they won't sell it to you?

I'd bring that down to "I hate those fuckers!"

Carmine
01-06-2005, 09:11 AM
DLREngineroom: I like those disc arrangements you thought up! But, wheres my 6 disc live DVD of classic shows to watch(One from each tour)?

DavidLeeNatra
01-06-2005, 09:46 AM
DLREngineroom: I like those disc arrangements you thought up! But, wheres my 6 disc live DVD of classic shows to watch(One from each tour)?

and the bonus dvd's from the US-festival? and the concert from buenos aires? oakland? and the tv-appearances? and the interviews? where are these, eh?

Carmine
01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
and the bonus dvd's from the US-festival? and the concert from buenos aires? oakland? and the tv-appearances? and the interviews? where are these, eh?

LOL. when WE finish compiling all the stuff WE want in this dream set it'll retail for about $500!

I'll still buy it of course......:)

DavidLeeNatra
01-06-2005, 12:29 PM
LOL. when WE finish compiling all the stuff WE want in this dream set it'll retail for about $500!

I'll still buy it of course......:)

so would I...but you can be sure...they will spam it with some shitty "live without a net"- and "shite here, shite now"-vids...

Carmine
01-06-2005, 12:42 PM
so would I...but you can be sure...they will spam it with some shitty "live without a net"- and "shite here, shite now"-vids...

I thought that this is a dream CLASSIC VH Box set! Spam Free!:hagar3: :hagar1: :hagar2:

JacktheRipper
01-06-2005, 01:00 PM
well i've been trying to create my own kind of 3 disc classic vh best of saga. an i came to realize this... A box set would be the shit. most bad ass thing possible. and of course if someone not like dave was in charge it could turn out like shit. so here's my take. 3-5 cd's, inculding a 1 or 2 disc best of, not in order of album but mixed like best of both worlds(- the spam of course) a demo cd, live recordings with unreleased stuff (ex. here's just what she wanted or down in flames, that kind of stuff, just a lot of it) so that's 4 to 5 cd's. maybe a cd with some eddie solo stuff or just mixed that in with the other cd's, and admitted it, at that time eddie was the best thing since sliced bread when it came to the guitar. i don't think i just speak for myself when i say that i that i fell in love with van halen not because of dave or eddie but the way it all blended together. but when they split you had to chose sides so thats why i'm here...anyway then throw in a dvd or 2 with live perfomces, outtakes, making the video stuff. interviews, etc. + an autographed poster and several art works and pictures of the band and illustrions from dave. maybe stuff like pictures that didn't make the cut as the album cover. generally that woould be a bad ass box set. easily worth a good amount of money id spend on it and end up starving for a week.

Carmine
01-06-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by JacktheRipper
i don't think i just speak for myself when i say that i that i fell in love with van halen not because of dave or eddie but the way it all blended together.

I think that speaks for ALOT of folks here! 5 stars!

DavidLeeNatra
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
I think that speaks for ALOT of folks here! 5 stars!

not for me...been a roth-man from the first moment I head the scream of unchained...

Matt White
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
CLASSIC VAN HALEN were first, and foremost, A BAND. DAVE's singing and Lyrics, EVH's innovative playing & mind blowing virtuosity, AVH's drumming & CONSTANT cymbal use, and Mikey's background vocals and occasional bass playing. Like ALL CLASSIC BANDS, remove one part and the band collapses.
Too bad the MOST important part walked out the door in 1985, and the other 75% haven't realized it to this day.

BIG GOOSE
01-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Panamark
Im not asking for much, just a complete live Van Halen concert, with
good video and sound quality.

That would be great thanks !

(And I would pay $100 without a second thought)

Oakland 81 anyone???:lookie:

Wolverine
01-07-2005, 09:14 AM
I wonder if their is any unreleashed footage in the vh or roth estates,never seen by the public.

Vivian Campbell
01-07-2005, 11:39 AM
I thought that this is a dream CLASSIC VH Box set! Spam Free!:hagar3: :hagar1: :hagar2:

When the box set comes... and it will... it will be Hagarized. AND they will charge you $100 bucks for it. This is my box set prophecy.

tjvhou812
01-07-2005, 11:44 AM

i'll buy that for $1984 alex

Terry
01-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
When the box set comes... and it will... it will be Hagarized. AND they will charge you $100 bucks for it. This is my box set prophecy.

Just can't be bothered to pay for any Van Hagar to get to the classic stuff when they combine the lineups

Did it once with BOV1, both the CD and VHS tapes.

A Van Hagarized box set, or one that interlaces classic and Sam Halen, isn't gonna be able to get that kinda money out of me for a couple of previously unreleased classic nuggets.

Maybe at best they'll get me on the companion DVD if it has a equitable representaion between eras (that BOVI accompanying video...3 classic vids and the rest Van Hagar?! Nah, not gonna go down that route again), but if it is only available by buying the whole set/not sold separately, then fuck that shit!

DLR7884
01-07-2005, 01:21 PM
I think Van Halen is greedy enough to put out a boxset for each era.

DLR7884
I think they should.

DavidLeeNatra
01-07-2005, 05:16 PM

DLR7884
I think they should.

you're wrong on that, buddy...they HAVE to mix it because spam era wouldn't sell for shit...as sam admitted in an interview "my van halen royalties are history"...nuff said

Wolverine
01-07-2005, 06:31 PM
http://imagecenter.scriptmania.com/jt/vanhalenjustbefore.jpg
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/doozydo1/vanhalengenefront.JPG
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/doozydo1/vanhalengeneback.JPG
ONE OF THESE WOULD DO IT!!

BIG GOOSE
01-08-2005, 09:14 AM

DLR7884
I think they should.

I fuckin hope so !!!:D

academic punk
01-09-2005, 02:16 PM
you're wrong on that, buddy...they HAVE to mix it because spam era wouldn't sell for shit...as sam admitted in an interview "my van halen royalties are history"...nuff said

when did sam say that? i've always wondered what his contracts were with Halen. I know on the 5150 tour, the contracts STIPULATED that "x" number of Hagar songs had to be played, and "x" number of CVH had to be played. This was somehting negotiated between managers and band members.

same with this tour. THe contracts actually said OUTRIGHT that Ed, Al, and Mike had to vacate the stage for Sammy's solo spot. This is nothing terribly unusual, actually. On Stones tours, Mick is contractually obligated to leave the stage during Keith's songs. God fucking knows what the consequences would be if Mick did walk out on stage during "Happy", maybe the contracts also had a fine against him if he did.

(Motley Crue - as reported in THE DIRT - had contracts on their tour to charge fines for anyone drinking or doing drugs before the show. Rock stars. What a bunch of assholes.)

DavidLeeNatra
01-09-2005, 02:50 PM
when did sam say that?

Recording artists have watched their record royalties erode over the past few years ("My Van Halen royalties are history," said vocalist Sammy Hagar), but, in fact, few musicians earn the bulk of their income from record sales.

here (http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/0911-09.htm)

academic punk
01-09-2005, 07:55 PM
interesting.

i was hoping that the bros had bought sam out of his copyright and royalty rights back in '96 (thus he'd make a quick buck back then, but not see a dime for any future sales or radio play)

DavidLeeNatra
01-09-2005, 08:08 PM
interesting.

i was hoping that the bros had bought sam out of his copyright and royalty rights back in '96 (thus he'd make a quick buck back then, but not see a dime for any future sales or radio play)

no...sam blames it on burning cd's and downloading the files...fact is, that the van hagar catalogue just don't sell for shit anymore, gets no airplay and is just irrelevant (no remasters for example) so his royalties would be history anyway...

academic punk
01-09-2005, 08:52 PM
no...sam blames it on burning cd's and downloading the files...fact is, that the van hagar catalogue just don't sell for shit anymore, gets no airplay and is just irrelevant (no remasters for example) so his royalties would be history anyway...

well, in terms of BOBW I was wondering if he saw any income.

whatever. fuck 'im anyways.

FORD
01-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Here's what should be in the box:

NOTHING from the first 6 albums. Most of us have paid for them at least twice, some possibly three times (Holding out on the remasters myself)

The complete Gene Simmons demo (even though the "Zero" bootleg release was damn good sound quality)

The complete WB Demo.

The early "Mammoth" demo - recorded when Mark Stone was on bass. I think there were only 3 songs on this one, including a very early version of "In A Simple Rhyme", and I forget the others, but one might have been that song "Angel Eyes" which seems to be just Dave and an acoustic guitar.

Any unreleased Van HALEN songs from the 77-85 era. Did they record "House of Pain" for the first album? Were "Down In Flames" or "Last Night" actually recorded for VHII, since the band was telling audiences on the 78 tour that they would be on the new album? How about the song "Big Troubles", supposedly resurrected for the 1984 album, but not included. And there's always the mystery of what the band actually recorded for a 7th album before the breakup, and which songs were spammed for 5150.

And then there's the tracks from the 2000 sessions. Are they any where near ready for release?

Now let's talk Live DVD's. Oakland 81 exists. So does the US Festival. There has to be at least one pro-shot show from the 1984 tour. Eddie will probably fight the US Festival release, but goddamn it, that's a historical document and the fans have a right to see it. (as if most of us haven't already, but that's beside the point)

Put this package out with a $75 price tag and I guarantee it will be the fastest selling box set since Garth Brooks' "The Limited Series" (and all that one had to offer was 6 new songs)

Rikk
01-10-2005, 12:59 AM
They could also throw in a one-CD live album. There were professional recordings done on the 1984 tour. I wouldn't mind a one-disc set from this. Even better, I'd rather have a live album from some recorded in something like 1980 and then a DVD from the 1984 tour, then the three or so discs of studio outtakes. That would be amazing.

Wolverine
01-11-2005, 02:08 PM
throw in a paper air guitar or sticker of the famed "davesicle"

fe_lung
01-11-2005, 02:14 PM
For me, if there's a box set I'd prefer it go light on already released material. I'd love to see them do something along the lines of Springsteens TRACKS - 4 disks of unreleased stuff (Roth era, of course). Let the six pack be represented by demo or live versions (not to exceed 30% of the total song count).

I've bought the LP's, I've bought the original CD's, I've bought all the remasters, I want new shit!

DLR7884
01-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Rikk
They could also throw in a one-CD live album. There were professional recordings done on the 1984 tour. I wouldn't mind a one-disc set from this. Even better, I'd rather have a live album from some recorded in something like 1980 and then a DVD from the 1984 tour, then the three or so discs of studio outtakes. That would be amazing.

The 1984 tour had a bland setlist.

The 1982 "Hide Your Sheep" tour had the best.

DLR7884
By far.

Carmine
01-11-2005, 03:05 PM
The 1984 tour had a bland setlist.

The 1982 "Hide Your Sheep" tour had the best.

DLR7884
By far.

Irregardless....I'd like one from each tour.... thanks

DLR7884
01-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Irregardless....I'd like one from each tour.... thanks

I already had mentioned doing that.

But if I had to pick only one tour, that would be the one.

DLR7884
Don't you agree?

conyo
01-12-2005, 01:29 AM
The unreleased stuff..everything. Including the "Eat Thy Neighbor" track, Angel Eyes, Let's Get Rockin' Outtakes

Oakland 81 on DVD

Maybe something off the 1984 tour love on Cd