PDA

View Full Version : Specter Questions Patriot Act in Hearing

ODShowtime
01-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Thu Jan 6, 2:43 PM ET

By LAURIE KELLMAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Raising the gavel with a grin, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter opened his first hearing Thursday by allowing more criticism of the Bush administration than his predecessor and by questioning some of the Patriot Act's police powers.

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050106/capt.dcev10701061625.senate_gonzales_dcev107.jpg

With his changes, questions and comments, Specter proclaimed his independence and said he expected the same from Alberto Gonzales, President Bush's nominee to be attorney general.

"While Judge Gonzales is the appointee of the president ... he's representing the people of the United States, a key distinction which I'm pleased to say in advance that Judge Gonzales has noted in the statement which he has submitted," Specter said.

The Pennsylvania Republican traveled a bruising path to the chairman's seat. He almost lost his claim to it last fall when he said just after Bush won re-election that anti-abortion judges might not win Senate confirmation. Administration officials were displeased, and conservatives flooded Republican Senate offices in protest.

A major damage-control effort by Specter helped win over Republican colleagues, who chose him to succeed Orrin Hatch, R-Utah. The Senate on Thursday officially signed off on the change.

Specter wore a bandage on his nose from the removal of pre-cancerous tissue but was in good humor, accepting congratulations from numerous senators during the hearing.

He permitted multiple rounds of questions — and criticism for the White House — from senators of both parties, while Hatch had usually allowed only one round at such hearings.

Specter also agreed to let two law school professors and a human rights advocate testify against Gonzales.

He questioned extending some of the police powers in the Patriot Act passed by Congress after the Sept. 11 attacks, particularly language requiring judges to issue warrants without making police or prosecutors justify them.

"Why can't we have that traditional probable cause requirement on the obtaining of those records?" asked Specter. The law comes up for renewal by Congress this year.

FORD
01-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Good for Arlen. But I'll never forgive him for the Magic BULLSHIT theory and his part in the Warren Commission cover up of JFK's murder.

ODShowtime
01-06-2005, 08:39 PM
well FORD, you gotta take the good with the bad. you realize how important this guy is I'm sure.

What can we do to make sure the PATRIOT act doesn't get renewed? I remeber hearing about the 2005 renewal clause back in the day...

madraoul
01-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Karl Rowe is already working on this "traitor." Arlen screwed up and spoke out. I feel there's a dead hooker somewhere in his immediate future.

FORD
01-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by madraoul
Karl Rowe is already working on this "traitor." Arlen screwed up and spoke out. I feel there's a dead hooker somewhere in his immediate future.

I don't think the hooker will be the one who is dead. Just ask John Tower, John Heinz, Salem Bin Laden, Paul Wellstone, or Mel Carnahan, among others.

Senator Specter would be advised not to fly in any small planes in the near future. :(

ODShowtime
01-06-2005, 08:52 PM
it's horrible that you guys are serious and that I agree

madraoul
01-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by FORD
I don't think the hooker will be the one who is dead. Just ask John Tower, John Heinz, Salem Bin Laden, Paul Wellstone, or Mel Carnahan, among others.

Senator Specter would be advised not to fly in any small planes in the near future. :(

Maybe so. I think the neocons are so power drunk now, they'll want to watch Senator Specter squirm before they come in for the kill. Who knows, maybe Arlen has a black baby too.

Nickdfresh
01-06-2005, 08:59 PM
Arlen shouldn't fuck with Dubya's "Little Turd Blossom" ('cause something always comes up with KKKarl around!')
http://www.internetweekly.org/images/karl_rove_card.jpg

madraoul
01-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Arlen shouldn't fuck with Dubya's "Little Turd Blossom" ('cause something always comes up with KKKarl around!')
http://www.internetweekly.org/images/karl_rove_card.jpg

Goes to show we can't even pick our first dictator right. At least he should have the balls to look somewhat menacing. This bitch is just pissed he got picked last for dodgeball in middle school.

LoungeMachine
01-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Seriously,

After watching "Bush's Brain" I've come to the conclusion KKKarl Rove is the most dangerous man in America.

The most despicable as well.

madraoul
01-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by LoungeMachine
Seriously,

After watching "Bush's Brain" I've come to the conclusion KKKarl Rove is the most dangerous man in America.

The most despicable as well.

YES! The "liberal" media works. 5 stars for you my man!

madraoul
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Too bad it had to be by way of an independant film.

FORD
01-06-2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by madraoul
Too bad it had to be by way of an independant film.

That's the only truly Liberal media left in this country, unfortunately.

ODShowtime
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by ODShowtime
Thu Jan 6, 2:43 PM ET

"While Judge Gonzales is the appointee of the president ... he's representing the people of the United States, a key distinction which I'm pleased to say in advance that Judge Gonzales has noted in the statement which he has submitted," Specter said.

The Pennsylvania Republican

That's fuckin' awesome. This guys does not dig gw&friends. And gw was in has re-election ads!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes: :D