PDA

View Full Version : Would it be Different for Dave if he aged like....

Wolverine
01-07-2005, 09:41 AM
.....jagger, plant, tyler, joe elliot, jon bon jovi. I'm not saying I am a fan of some of those names. But they all kept their hair and their voices are still the same. I love Dave, but his look and voice are okay, but not like it once was. Do you think Dave would have a better career status respectively if he had the same factors like those other singers!!. (hey we are die hards but the average person always goofs on dave about his hair and his voice being shot)

Carmine
01-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by The Godfather
[B(hey we are die hards but the average person always goofs on dave about his hair and his voice being shot) [/B]

And they are wrong on both counts! I dont understand how Dave could have aged Differently? I saw him at the Rama show......nothings changed!

Wolverine
01-07-2005, 09:51 AM
CARMINE, Dave did still look and sing the same at Rama?

How were the classic roth screams??

Carmine
01-07-2005, 09:56 AM
CARMINE, Dave did still look and sing the same at Rama?

How were the classic roth screams??

Well he doesnt "look" the same in the sense that the flowing locks of hair are gone. You have seen his new look....the short hair. As far as his voice goes, it is still TOP NOTCH! I had never heard him sing RWTD live until the Rama show and I have seen Dave live about 15 times. RWTD is the pinnacle of the Classic Roth scream and he frikkin nailed it! I think I understand your question a bit better though...is it more like...how could Dave have stayed more mainstream to the masses....I dont know the answer to that.

hard rock
01-07-2005, 10:22 AM
How could dave have stayed in the mainstream, well my friends thats easy. Promotion, staying current and promoting himself more. As i once said before on another thread here any one of us roth army soldiers could do a better pr job for him than his current team.

1) Dave needs to play more his solo tunes live. Everyone knows cvh and until he plays more his stuff the newer generation will never know his solo tunes that well. No wonder his solo sales are lacking. CVH gets tons of airplay and is world known. it does not need any help. i have met younger fans of cvh who ask me so what songs would i know from roth other than california girls and yankee rose and i will say well there just like paradise and they go never heard that one before. What da F@$k!!!

2) forget the ego, When dave teamed up with sammy they both drew large numbers and alone they dont. He needs to headline his own 80`s type summer tour like poison and others have done last few years. Dave can team up with cinderella, warrant and who ever .he will play to those that came to see the others and remind them why they liked him in the 1st place and he will reach those other bands younger crowds. When i saw poison 2 summers in a row 2002 and 2003 there were so many young kids that liked poison and when i said i like halen the only knew jump? use ozzfest as an example as well

3) invest in a stage show, bring back the boxing rings etc etc. Kiss still sells out shows without ace and peter cuz they make their shows fun to see.

4) change with times, when grunge came along van hagar got meaner and darker with balance. If dave put out tunes like me wise magic solo he could have kept the interest of those soundgarden, pearl jammin lovin little shit heads who dont know what a party is suppose to be like.

hard rock
01-07-2005, 10:26 AM
instead dave did what he liked and that was all over the page stuff, reggae, jazz and blues etc etc . dont get me wrong i like that stuff and most of us here do to but the general audience wont. How many 15 year olds are going to dig your breathin it. how many would dig a me wise magic kinda of tune. i think you see what i mean here.

Matt White
01-07-2005, 10:48 AM
DAVE does what DAVE wants. He doesn't follow trends, nor does he need to surround himself with imitators and pale second generation "hair bands". HIS FANS just need to accept the fact that he doesn't need to be the "flavor of the day" and enjoys his life. Dig the music and stop worrying about what DAVE 'ought to be doing. He's livin' it.

hard rock
01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Hey Matt, i agree 100% with you. Dave does things on his own terms. I was just answering the question that was asked on how could he have stayed more mainstream and those suggestions were what i felt would have achieved that.

Carmine
01-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by hard rock
How many 15 year olds are going to dig your breathin it. how many would dig a me wise magic kinda of tune. i think you see what i mean here.

maybe, but...more 15 year olds are diggin the Classic 6 pack these days! Why? Beacause its still mainstream! I hear 10 classic tunes here on the radio a day. What radio plays is indicative of whats "popular" or what they think WE want to hear. Nobody really wants to hear solo Dave stuff(cept us), nobody wants to hear Van HAgar.....but what they play and what everybody in the mainstream is still interested in to this day...is the ORIGINAL VAN HALEN. Mainstream as well as us has been begging for this reunion for 2 decades!

Matt White
01-07-2005, 11:02 AM
"jagger, plant, tyler, joe elliot, jon bon jovi"

Jagger has NO range and looks like a piece of beef jerky. Still riding on Keef's coat tails.

Bob Plant has no range left and looks like a Shar-Pei. Has the advantage that LED ZEPPELIN is held in such universal high esteem.

Joe elliot is showing his age and has NEVER had much range. LIve, he sounds like Brian Johnson of AC/DC, without the balls.

Jon Bon Jovi. WHO WOULD WANT TO SOUND OR LOOK LIKE THIS POODLE?!?!?

DAVE suffers, to some extent, from the bad blood generated by 20 years of frustration on the part of CLASSIC VAN HALEN fans on being denied the GREATEST BAND in the world.

Igosplut
01-07-2005, 12:39 PM
.....jagger, plant, tyler, joe elliot, jon bon jovi. I'm not saying I am a fan of some of those names. But they all kept their hair and their voices are still the same. I love Dave, but his look and voice are okay, but not like it once was. Do you think Dave would have a better career status respectively if he had the same factors like those other singers!!. (hey we are die hards but the average person always goofs on dave about his hair and his voice being shot)

If you put a head of grey hair on Jagger, he'd definely look his age. The last I saw a picture of Plant, he was looking hard. Tyler is the same as Jagger, If these guys stopped dying their hair it'd make a big difference in their apperance. I think Joe Perry looks alot better than Steven. And i'm not familar with def leppard. And I would have to agree, John Bon Jovi looks better than all of 'em.

But the bad thing is he's still John Bon Jovi........

Golden AWe
01-07-2005, 01:24 PM
How could dave have stayed in the mainstream, well my friends thats easy. Promotion, staying current and promoting himself more. As i once said before on another thread here any one of us roth army soldiers could do a better pr job for him than his current team.

2) forget the ego, When dave teamed up with sammy they both drew large numbers and alone they dont. He needs to headline his own 80`s type summer tour like poison and others have done last few years. Dave can team up with cinderella, warrant and who ever .he will play to those that came to see the others and remind them why they liked him in the 1st place and he will reach those other bands younger crowds. When i saw poison 2 summers in a row 2002 and 2003 there were so many young kids that liked poison and when i said i like halen the only knew jump? use ozzfest as an example as well

3) invest in a stage show, bring back the boxing rings etc etc. Kiss still sells out shows without ace and peter cuz they make their shows fun to see.

4) change with times, when grunge came along van hagar got meaner and darker with balance. If dave put out tunes like me wise magic solo he could have kept the interest of those soundgarden, pearl jammin lovin little shit heads who dont know what a party is suppose to be like.

Dave should team up and act like Poison etc., those lame-ass VH copycats? Bwaahahaha...now that is some of the worst BS I've ever heard...

If you go to a Poison concert it is very likely that you will run into a lot Poison-fans, even kids.

If Dave is playing big bars you might not see that many kids in the audience.

Van Hagar got meaner and darker...bwahahah...oh yesss, they went deeper into their own arseholes, and the lyrics were some horrible shite.

Golden AWe
01-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Matt White

Jagger has NO range and looks like a piece of beef jerky. Still riding on Keef's coat tails.

Bob Plant has no range left and looks like a Shar-Pei. Has the advantage that LED ZEPPELIN is held in such universal high esteem.

Joe elliot is showing his age and has NEVER had much range. LIve, he sounds like Brian Johnson of AC/DC, without the balls.

DAVE suffers, to some extent, from the bad blood generated by 20 years of frustration on the part of CLASSIC VAN HALEN fans on being denied the GREATEST BAND in the world.

Yesss. 100%.

lms2
01-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Dave's voice still sounds good.

He may not have the flowing mane of yesteryear... but that was artificial anyway. I think he looks good with the short hair.

It has always been about Dave's personality ... and that will always be there!

I think what he needs, (besides the aforementioned new management) is to deside what he wants, and to go for it; 100%.

Jack68
01-07-2005, 04:55 PM
Dave is on the right track with his appearence now.I hated the spandex ,bleached hair thing.Attitude says it all,look at Jimmy Buffet some 54 year old billionaire.I know im gonna killed on this ive always thought of Roth as an extreme life living mofo outside of VH.Thats what still makes me buy his stuff and when given the chance see him live.God knows weve all said id be DLR any day.i actually loved it when Dave guest dj"d on 92.3 on krock here in new york.Everyone i know who listens to good music was like man Roth should freestyle dj.His show would make stern look tame with his stories.Could you imagine the depth of his show,from hiking in the himilayas to women he has banged to stocks to playing in front of 100,000 people.The list is endless.Van halen aint coming back and god knows id be on line for that show.Unfortunate but true,unless....alex dies.

DavidLeeNatra
01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
DAVE does what DAVE wants. He doesn't follow trends, nor does he need to surround himself with imitators and pale second generation "hair bands". HIS FANS just need to accept the fact that he doesn't need to be the "flavor of the day" and enjoys his life. Dig the music and stop worrying about what DAVE 'ought to be doing. He's livin' it.

A M E N ! ! ! no way I want to see dave with ratt or poison or whatever...

Jack68
01-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Ill take the bad press and look like Bonjovi now.

BIG GOOSE
01-08-2005, 09:03 AM

Superb post.Every fucking word of it you can take to the bank.:killer:

fenway5150
01-08-2005, 11:14 AM

1) Dave needs to play more his solo tunes live. Everyone knows cvh and until he plays more his stuff the newer generation will never know his solo tunes that well. No wonder his solo sales are lacking. CVH gets tons of airplay and is world known. it does not need any help. i have met younger fans of cvh who ask me so what songs would i know from roth other than california girls and yankee rose and i will say well there just like paradise and they go never heard that one before. What da F@$k!!!

I don't know. I see where you're coming from but, from Dave's perspective, he probably has been told that and has decided against it because, for the most part, he's selling out. He just wants to be an artist and do what he feels most strongly about at the time.

house0paincakes
01-08-2005, 11:28 AM
I think no matter what DLR does he will still be respected by those of us who know where it's at. Like it was said earlier, Dave is Dave, and Dave does what Dave wants to do, and that is one thing I admire about the man - he doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks - unlike his old bandmates on Howdy Doody Mountain.

I'd be down with Dave no matter what. . . I never forget my roots.

lms2
01-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Apparently Dave never forgets his roots either.

Its not that I am down with that... Classic Van Halen is gold!

The point that many of you are missing is this.

Dave has still got everything that he ever had, plus a little bit more. Its called life experience. Dave has always enjoyed the spot light. "Life is a stage, and I want the brightest spot!"

Sometimes it seems like Dave is clinging to that past and saying that was the best he had... and therefore nothing new will compare. Though its true, he will probably never had what he had in say 1983... That doesn't mean he has nothing to offer, or nothing to gain.

Until he moves past the glory days, nothing "new" he does will have meaning to him... and until it has meaning to him, its just not going to generate a tremendous following.

Similar to moving on in a new relationship while you are still comparing it to the old one. It just don't work. There may never be a kiss as sweet as loves first kiss... but does that mean you should stop kissing?

DavidLeeNatra
01-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by lms2
Apparently Dave never forgets his roots either.

Its not that I am down with that... Classic Van Halen is gold!

The point that many of you are missing is this.

Dave has still got everything that he ever had, plus a little bit more. Its called life experience. Dave has always enjoyed the spot light. "Life is a stage, and I want the brightest spot!"

Sometimes it seems like Dave is clinging to that past and saying that was the best he had... and therefore nothing new will compare. Though its true, he will probably never had what he had in say 1983... That doesn't mean he has nothing to offer, or nothing to gain.

Until he moves past the glory days, nothing "new" he does will have meaning to him... and until it has meaning to him, its just not going to generate a tremendous following.

Similar to moving on in a new relationship while you are still comparing it to the old one. It just don't work. There may never be a kiss as sweet as loves first kiss... but does that mean you should stop kissing?

well said...still love ya...

lms2
01-08-2005, 11:47 AM
back at ya Natra. ;)

wrigleyvillbabe
01-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Along the same lines as this thread, did anyone see the special on VH1 called Remaking Vince Neil? Dude got plastic surgery, they dyed his hair brown and he lost 25 pounds. Oh, and that song that Desmond Childs wrote for him really sucked. It was a touchy-feely ballad about friends. Talk about heavy metal poison.
Anyone else see this show?

Fabulous Shadow
01-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
maybe, but...more 15 year olds are diggin the Classic 6 pack these days! Why? Beacause its still mainstream! I hear 10 classic tunes here on the radio a day. What radio plays is indicative of whats "popular" or what they think WE want to hear. Nobody really wants to hear solo Dave stuff(cept us), nobody wants to hear Van HAgar.....but what they play and what everybody in the mainstream is still interested in to this day...is the ORIGINAL VAN HALEN. Mainstream as well as us has been begging for this reunion for 2 decades!

I dont agree with you Carmie. What teenagers are listening to Classic Rock stations? Niether Van Halen nor Van Hagar are played on the hip stations here. I think the parents of the youth litening to Van Halen of anykind should get the credit! They are offering good music to their kids and the kids are accepting it. Not to mention that wearing T's with Classic Rock band on them happens to be "IN" right now.

As for Dave, Looks DO play a roll in popularity. He has the package but IMO he just doesn't know how to wrap it. I'd love to give him a makeover.

light 'em up!
01-08-2005, 08:23 PM
.....jagger, plant, tyler, joe elliot, jon bon jovi.

Dave's career immediately took a hit when he left Van Halen because he also left the name behind. He's had to make it on his own all these years w/out the superstar name. The VH name was where the the huge success and big bucks were.

BIG GOOSE
01-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by light 'em up!
Dave's career immediately took a hit when he left Van Halen because he also left the name behind. He's had to make it on his own all these years w/out the superstar name. The VH name was where the the huge success and big bucks were.

This is fact !!
America was always more interested in brand name rather than contents.VH is a perfect example.

lms2
01-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
This is fact !!
America was always more interested in brand name rather than contents.VH is a perfect example.

This is debateable. Content is what made Van Halen a "brand name". Sure Dave's career took a downward swing after the split, but Van Halen kept the brand name and theirs went downhill as well.

If it were merely whats in a name, and not in content, then why, 20 years later, do you have a song called 1985 asking "whose the other guy thats singing in Van Halen?" Why do you have an Army of people that are dedicated to the six pack? Why does the six pack get more playing time than any of the Van Hagar material?

kentuckyklira
01-09-2005, 12:11 PM

Exactly, if you play moderate stakes when you get started, you can stick to it for quite a while!

light 'em up!
01-09-2005, 03:31 PM
This is debateable. Sure Dave's career took a downward swing after the split, but Van Halen kept the brand name and theirs went downhill as well.

Yeah dude, but it took about 15 years of consistently crappy music for it to happen, and even at that, Ed and Al had to make public buffoons of themselves in order to run the legend into the ground. In the beginning, many (if not most) VH fans were sold on the Sammy crap at least through the first 2 albums, then people started waking up. After the '96 bait & switch fiasco, the downhill spiral was full thrust.

light 'em up!
01-09-2005, 03:32 PM
Dave's career took a downward swing after the split, but Van Halen kept the brand name and theirs went downhill as well.

As a solo artist, David Lee Roth never enjoyed the success that he once had in Van Halen, and unfortunately never acheived the same success that Van Halen did with the poodle. These are hard sad truths to face, but that's the way the mop flops in rock and roll.

Nickdfresh
01-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
I dont agree with you Carmie. What teenagers are listening to Classic Rock stations?...

I've taught school and I can tell you many are.

Carmine
01-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I dont agree with you Carmie. What teenagers are listening to Classic Rock stations? Niether Van Halen nor Van Hagar are played on the hip stations here. I think the parents of the youth litening to Van Halen of anykind should get the credit! They are offering good music to their kids and the kids are accepting it. Not to mention that wearing T's with Classic Rock band on them happens to be "IN" right now.

As for Dave, Looks DO play a roll in popularity. He has the package but IMO he just doesn't know how to wrap it. I'd love to give him a makeover.

There ALL into it! Personally, I have a 10 year old cousin(also, my Godson) who came to my house a few months ago in an AC/DC Back in Black T-shirt. I asked him where he heard of them and if he liked that kind of music? He said the movie "School of Rock" and that he loved Zeppelin, The Doors, Hendrix etc. He was also learning to play the guitar. I then asked him if he had ever heard of VH? He said NO. I put on Van Halen 1 for him and watched his face when Eruption came on! It was like seeing myself in 1979! The whole album BLEW HIM AWAY! So, now, Classic VH is his favorite band and I have been telling him,along with my own Son, the story of the greatest rock band ever! My aunt bought him BOBW on release date and he called me that night to tell me" I dont really like the songs with that other guy singing" It's different. He's learning!!!!

So, not just my own story, but, I see kids wearing the Retro shirts(We're Retro now!) and hear Classic VH on the radio every day. The hip stations that are playing top 40 have their Outkast, Black Eyed Peas and such of course, but the rock stations still play it, and the kids are digging it!

And I get the joy of buying my cousin and my son....The 6 pack! Because to them, It's NEW!!

DavidLeeNatra
01-10-2005, 09:36 AM
yeah...teach the kids the right way...can't believe that van halen was hardly mentioned in "school of rock"...

Carmine
01-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
yeah...teach the kids the right way...can't believe that van halen was hardly mentioned in "school of rock"...

I know it! But, that flick did open alot of doors for these young kids. My own kid is a Roth-Head all the way!(not that I had any influence on that!);)

DavidLeeNatra
01-10-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
I know it! But, that flick did open alot of doors for these young kids. My own kid is a Roth-Head all the way!(not that I had any influence on that!);)

no way...my daughter has to be pushed a little bit into the right direction... ;)

Carmine
01-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
no way...my daughter has to be pushed a little bit into the right direction... ;)

LOL...its been a little harder with my daughter. She knows all the words to Jamies Cryin, You really got me, Unchained and Hot for Teacher, But Hilary Duff and Lindsey Lohan get more play in her sterio! LOL!!!!

Fabulous Shadow
01-10-2005, 05:37 PM
This is debateable. Content is what made Van Halen a "brand name". Sure Dave's career took a downward swing after the split, but Van Halen kept the brand name and theirs went downhill as well.

If it were merely whats in a name, and not in content, then why, 20 years later, do you have a song called 1985 asking "whose the other guy thats singing in Van Halen?" Why do you have an Army of people that are dedicated to the six pack? Why does the six pack get more playing time than any of the Van Hagar material?

Van Halen did not go downhill after Dave. They just became a "DIFFERENT" band by the same name. There were still very successful as Van Hagar. I agree that the 6 pack is the best but there are loads of other fans who will say they like the other 6 better. They just happen to post someplace else...

DavidLeeNatra
01-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Van Halen did not go downhill after Dave. They just became a "DIFFERENT" band by the same name. There were still very successful as Van Hagar. I agree that the 6 pack is the best but there are loads of other fans who will say they like the other 6 better. They just happen to post someplace else...

agree...the albums were (for me) lousy and each album sold less than the one before...but going "downhill" was the cherone era...even the balance album was a triple platinum...

hard rock
01-11-2005, 07:48 AM
i agree 100% with the brand name theory. Van halen sold more albums with hagar then dave solo because of the name. when you look at concert numbers lets say around 94 or 95 roth was on tour for yflm and halen for balance and halen drew bigger crowds.

when i saw halen with cherone they drew more people than when i saw roth on his own and sammy on his own. a lot of people who were sitting next to me at the van cherone concert where like hey what is this i thought we came to see van halen and im like thats halen and their new singer gary from the group extreme. they were all like oh i got ripped off you shouldnt advertise the concert as van halen if its not van halen.

i asked well who do you think van halen is. there like the guy with the long blonde hair whos always jumping around the place and smiling a lot making jokes.

The name is what attracts people. like dave said its as familiar as the mc donalds golden arches and the nike swoosh.

hard rock
01-11-2005, 07:55 AM
also in response to someone here who said that roth wouldnt team up with sell outs like poison. heres a reality check for ya buddy. Roth toured with poison before as well as cinderella and even extreme.

yes i did see a lot of 14-15 year olds at the poison and cinderella concerts and if dave headlined these shows then he would introduce his tunes to this target audience.

Dave could always select who he would tour with. he could tour with more respected artists like ted nugent and aerosmith to name a few. hell a dlr and kiss double bill would be kind of cool. did you notice all the media attention dave got when he toured with sammy. thats what i mean about the main stream. if he had diamond dave out then and plugged it in concert or on the tv appearances it would have sold more.

i know guys who just picked up a copy now when it came out in july of 2003 only because i told them about it.

DavidLeeNatra
01-11-2005, 08:00 AM
van halen is like a restaurant with a good name in a good place. people come and enjoy the dinner...the cook changes and somehow the dinner is not that good anymore but people still come for the place...

the original cook opens his own restaurant with the best food around but maybe the place is not so good and it's hard to pull the crowd from one place to the other that is just used to eat in the original place.

me prefers the little gourmet restaurant and not the fast-food-shit-restaurant =VH= turned into...

tomballin
01-11-2005, 08:15 AM
This says it all

From The Video Lil' Ain't Enough

John Holmes
01-11-2005, 08:21 AM

I think that drug abuse is THE factor in Dave looking very old and tired these days.

Undoubtly Dave aged very bad and... He aged pretty fast. He was like still young in the first half of the 90's, and then he looked old. It seems he aged like 20 years within a 10 years space.

He went from this:

http://www.driko.org/smallpics/davidleeroth.jpg

to this :

http://www.mtv.com/news/images/archive/Roth,_David_Lee/sq-david-lee-roth-ooh-press-atl.jpg

It doesn't even seem him, for Chrissake.

I don't want to bash Dave, but he should have took a rest from booze, drugs or whatever...

He's such an intelligent, clever man, but still ...

He looks a lot better these days, however. In the Rama pictures he looks fit and in good shape.

As far as his live performances go, I heard a few bootlegs from the early 80's with Van Halen. I think Dave is a WHOLE better nowadays. I am sure he can pull excellent performances in the studio. His voice is not the reason a Van Halen reunion isn't happening, so let's drop it, guys.

Golden AWe
01-11-2005, 01:16 PM

ufff...shut up and flash'em

Apollo
01-13-2005, 05:20 PM
The thing with Dave is that he's always done HIS thing and never worried about what other people think or want.

If it was just for the money I am sure he would've released a sequel to his book, one or two live albums, remakes and demos, a book with his drawings etc etc...

In a way I am a bit dissapointed because else we would have much more stuff to enjoy but on the other hand I have to give the guy respect.

Balding he may be and his kicks are lower than 20 years ago and his voice may not be what it used to be BUT the one thing nobody can say about Dave is that he is a sellout.

Dave Rocks.

danielc
01-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Plant still has a good voice?