• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Raptors criticize Carter after he acknowledges he didn't give it his all

January 7, 2005
    TORONTO (AP) -- Vince Carter's former teammates were dismayed Friday after hearing him admit he didn't always try his hardest when he played for the Toronto Raptors.

In an interview broadcast Thursday on TNT, network analyst John Thompson asked Carter if he pushed himself as hard as he should have in Toronto.

``In years past, no,'' said Carter, acquired by the New Jersey Nets on Dec 17. ``I was fortunate to have the talent ... you get spoiled when you're able to do a lot of things. You see that you don't have to work at it.

``Now, with the all the injuries, I have to work harder. I'm a little hungrier. Getting a fresh start has made me want to attack the basket.''

Many have questioned Carter's dedication, his commitment to offseason conditioning and his desire to improve, but some where were surprised to hear Carter acknowledge it.

``It's a reflection on him and his character,'' Raptors guard Rafer Alston said. ``Is he a guy that you can go to war with night in and night out? That's what a lot of people are going to be questioning.''

Alston also suggested that Carter cost the Raptors games with his lack of effort.

``It hurts,'' Alston said. ``I don't know if a player who is considered an All-Star and has so many fan votes going into All-Star week wants to have that on his rap sheet.''

Carter has played well since being traded for Alonzo Mourning, Aaron Williams, Eric Williams and two first-round draft picks. He is averaging 22.5 points in 40.3 minutes with New Jersey, compared to 15.9 points in 30.4 minutes with the Raptors.

Toronto guard Morris Peterson was shocked when he watched the interview on television.

``It caught me off guard, being a professional player that's something I always pride myself on,'' Peterson said. ``I can sleep better at night knowing I give it everything I can.''

``You could tell he wasn't playing his best,'' Peterson said.

Toronto coach Sam Mitchell didn't want to talk about Carter.

``That's between Vince and his conscience,'' Mitchell said.
  • Snoo

Well hell, Morris Peterson has no choice but to give it his all.

Comment

• stringfelowhawk
      Foot Soldier
      • Mar 2004

Another talented athlete that lacks the heart to ever win a championship. These jackasses never learn. I have NO respect for pricks like that. Maybe he should watch a few retro games with Magic, Walt Frazier, Kareem, M.J., people who would rather win a championship than pat their stats. He's a worthless pussy who should just go back to the playground now while he can still play well enough to win a few local braggin rights before he gets to old to hang with the boys on a fenced open court.
      Visit my online store http://www.tripleclicks.com/12395755 or get your own http://www.sfi4.com/12395755/FREE

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

How anyone on the Nets can fully trust this guy when push comes to shove during the long season.

And they already have a spoiled head case in Jason Kidd.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

It amazes me that people ADMIT this shit...

it's one idiotic thing to do it...

but then to admit it...lmfao...fucking joke these guys are...fucking jokes...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• DLR7884
            ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Vince Carter is an asshole.

DLR7884
            The pussy doesn't even take the ball to the rack anymore...fag.
            Originally Posted by WARF:
            DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

I think all of the people who have spent their hard earned cash

to watch him dog it over the years should sue his lazy overpaid ass!!

Comment

• ALinChainz
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Now he has something to prove, so he has been playing decent. A running team with he, Kidd, and Jefferson.

But just like Moss, no class.

Comment

Working...