DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

Let The Army Neocon Shit Bags Defend This

GO AHEAD BBB, ELVIS, CATH, ASSVIBE

SPIN THIS SHIT IN YOUR FAVOR

January 8th, 2005 1:30 pm
    U.S. Paid Commentator to Tout School Law

By Ben Feller / Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration paid a prominent commentator to promote the No Child Left Behind schools law to fellow blacks and to give the education secretary media time, records show.

A company run by Armstrong Williams, the syndicated commentator, was paid $240,000 by the Education Department. The goal was to deliver positive messages about Bush's education overhaul, using Williams' broad reach with minorities.

The deal, which drew a fast rebuke from Democrats on Capitol Hill, is the latest to put the department on the defensive for the way it has promoted Bush's signature domestic policy.

The contract required Williams' company, the Graham Williams Group, to produce radio and TV ads that feature one-minute "reads" by Education Secretary Rod Paige. The deal also allowed Paige and other department officials to appear as studio guests with Williams.

Williams, one of the leading black conservative voices in the country, was also to use his influence with other black journalists to get them to talk about No Child Left Behind.

The law, a centerpiece of President Bush's domestic agenda, aims to raise achievement among poor and minority children, with penalties for many schools that don't make progress.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Friday that the decisions on the practice were made by the Education Department. He did not directly answer when asked whether the White House approved of the practice, saying it was a department matter.

The Education Department defended its decision as a "permissible use of taxpayer funds under legal government contracting procedures." The point was to help parents, particularly in poor and minority communities, understand the benefits of the law, the department said.

Williams called criticism of his relationship with the department "legitimate."

"It's a fine line," he told The Associated Press on Friday. "Even though I'm not a journalist — I'm a commentator — I feel I should be held to the media ethics standard. My judgment was not the best. I wouldn't do it again, and I learned from it."

Three Democratic senators — Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey, Edward Kennedy of Massachusetts and Harry Reid of Nevada — wrote Bush Friday to demand he recover the money paid to Armstrong. The lawmakers contended that "the act of bribing journalists to bias their news in favor of government policies undermines the integrity of our democracy."

Rep. George Miller of California, the top Democrat on the House education committee, asked for an inspector general investigation into whether the deal was legal and ethical. The Republican chairman of the committee, Rep. John Boehner of Ohio, supported the request.

Miller and other Democrats also wrote Bush to call for an end to "covert propaganda."

The department's contract with Williams, through the public relations firm Ketchum, dates to 2003 and 2004. It follows another recent flap about the agency's publicity efforts.

The Bush administration has promoted No Child Left Behind with a video that comes across as a news story but fails to make clear the reporter involved was paid with taxpayer money. It has also has paid for rankings of newspaper coverage of the law, with points awarded for stories that say Bush and the Republican Party are strong on education. The Government Accountability Office, Congress' auditing arm, is investigating those spending decisions.

The GAO has twice ruled that the Bush administration's use of prepackaged videos — to promote federal drug policy and a new Medicare law — is "covert propaganda" because the videos do not make clear to the public that the government produced the promotional news.

"There is no defense for using taxpayer dollars to pay journalists for 'fake news' and favorable coverage of a federal program," said Ralph Neas, president of People for the American Way, a liberal group that has tracked the department's spending.

Information about the contract with Williams was first reported by USA Today.
    Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

No Child Left Behind is the biggest piece of shit education legislation since "Seperate-but-Equal."

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      No Child Left Behind is the biggest piece of shit education legislation since "Seperate-but-Equal."
      Setting aside for a moment what a crock this "legislation" was.....

THEY FUCKING PAID A QUARTER MILL TO SOMEONE TO SHILL IT FORHEM ON TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

and then had the BALLS to say there wasnt enough money....

FUCK YOU SHRUB

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
        Setting aside for a moment what a crock this "legislation" was.....

THEY FUCKING PAID A QUARTER MILL TO SOMEONE TO SHILL IT FORHEM ON TV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

and then had the BALLS to say there wasnt enough money....

FUCK YOU SHRUB
        I'm far too cynical to be shocked Lounge. I'm surprised the cunt did it for less than $300K.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          I'm far too cynical to be shocked Lounge. I'm surprised the cunt did it for less than $300K.
          GodDAMN this whole fuckin admin.

Comment

• bueno bob
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

I agree. Bush is a tool. In spite of everything, he just keeps on dancin', don't he? lol
            Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

I guess we should've just got a bunch of businessmen together and boarded a jet around the globe on a "fact finding" mission like the ol' Clinton years. That was acceptable?

It was wrong. Armstrong has admitted it. This will cost him more in the long run like Martha Stewart, except this is a black journalist that the NAACP like to paint as an "Uncle Tom".
              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DrMaddVibe
                I guess we should've just got a bunch of businessmen together and boarded a jet around the globe on a "fact finding" mission like the ol' Clinton years. That was acceptable?

It was wrong. Armstrong has admitted it. This will cost him more in the long run like Martha Stewart, except this is a black journalist that the NAACP like to paint as an "Uncle Tom".
                EXACTLY what one would expect from you and your ilk , ASSVIBE

1- Bring up Clinton to justify your shitness

2- Put the blame on someone else

3 - Accept NO responsibility whatsoever

"It was wrong" "Amstrong damitted it"

HOW COME YOU DONT SAY BUSH/ADMINISTRATION WAS WRONG??

Do you really think it was this fucking Talking Head's idea??????

Once again, Team Bush held unaccountable.

You're just a fucking sheep.

Comment

• diamondD
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2004

Did you show this same type of outrage when Clinton did something that isn't 100% correct? Somehow, I doubt it.
                  Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                    I agree. Bush is a tool. In spite of everything, he just keeps on dancin', don't he? lol
                    And sitting on Uncle Tricky Dickie's lap:

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by diamondD
                      Did you show this same type of outrage when Clinton did something that isn't 100% correct? Somehow, I doubt it.
                      Can you be specific? Which one of Clinton's fuck ups are you talking about?
                      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Clinton was not saint. But he was the victim of a virtual Neo Con witch hunt of excessive, and continuous investigation and character assassination. I am far more willing to forgive his missteps when he was continually attacked using innuendo driven by people looking to hang him for little more reason than being an elected Democrat. He was hammered on everything from mysterious deaths to fraudulent business dealings and the best they could do was impeach him regarding a blowjob cover-up.

I found it humorous and sad that a lot of you guys constantly bring him up when alcoholic, ex-coke snorter Bush has had virtually none of such scrutiny.

For ex., I can't even imagine what would happen if Clinton's Admin. had released the name of a CIA agent that was married to as critic of his administration. But it's okay for people to act traitorously as long as they proclaim themselves Republicans, eh?

Comment

• Viking
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2004

Awwwww, the Republicans just conducted Business As Usual in Sodom-On-The-Potomac, and you congenital losers want to make political hay out of it. Grow up. The only difference is, it wasn't a Democrat who did it this time, and it happens all the time one both sides of the fence. Quit being so naive. And shove your forced indignation up your soft asses.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jul 2004

"...isn't 100% correct ...."

You sheep can't even bring yourselves to say the words.......

Bush and Co. ws wrong.

Say it.

I dare you.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Viking
                              Awwwww, the Republicans just conducted Business As Usual in Sodom-On-The-Potomac, and you congenital losers want to make political hay out of it. Grow up. The only difference is, it wasn't a Democrat who did it this time, and it happens all the time one both sides of the fence. Quit being so naive. And shove your forced indignation up your soft asses.
                              Bush's oil war will be the Republocants down fall.

Comment

Working...