DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

You're importing Huey Lewis albums?
      Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• stringfelowhawk
        Foot Soldier
        • Mar 2004

Scored a perfect 800 on the math portion of the SAT.
        Visit my online store http://www.tripleclicks.com/12395755 or get your own http://www.sfi4.com/12395755/FREE

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

yay!
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• aesop
            Commando
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
            yay!
            Ahhh...reminds me of the time I won that 'most likely to fall from grace' award...

...I thought the audience were all robots from hell...
            Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• Rikk
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

One good thing about that band...just one. The scene in which Christian Bale kills the guy in his apartment in AMERICAN PSYCHO while dancing to IT'S HIP TO BE SQUARE. Classic.
              Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
              Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• bueno bob
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jul 2004

Well, the funny thing about it all is that I thought the first three albums were really good...after that, though, all passable...The News is musically a really diverse act capable of a lot of different things. Plus, seeing the video with the bass player smoking while he was under water deep sea diving was kinda cool
                Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by bueno bob
                  Well, the funny thing about it all is that I thought the first three albums were really good...after that, though, all passable...The News is musically a really diverse act capable of a lot of different things. Plus, seeing the video with the bass player smoking while he was under water deep sea diving was kinda cool
                  LOL...you know what? I haven't given it much thought. The other day I was watching a movie I hadn't seen in ages...remember F/X? Anyway, it actually is a pretty cool flick. And there's a scene early on when the lead is cooking with his girlfriend in the kitchen and they're listening to THE HEART OF ROCK 'N' ROLL. And even though that came out when I was only eight, it brought me back immediately to that time.

Who knows? Maybe I'm missing out. I do know that Lewis did work extensively and was close to one of my heroes, THIN LIZZY's PHIL LYNOTT.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Mar 2003

I never had any problem with Huey Lewis and the News...in fact, I've got their Greatest Hits cd in my ride now. Sure, it ain't hard rock...but I'll take it any day over the bullshit I hear on the radio.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

great live band !!! saw them back in 1985 and they were really good and blew headliner foreigner off stage...

funny little story...when he toured the "small world" album my mother was asked by a friend if she could drive him to the hilton hotel he had to bring something to somebody...

she winded up in huey's hotelroom where he was sitting with a beer watching football on tv while the friend delivered the coke for the band...

she brought an autograph and a small world buttom as souvenirs from that evening...
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• stringfelowhawk
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Mar 2004

I have the greatest hits too. Never a hardcore fan but respect them for being a rock band first in a time when image was more important like it is today. They are a just a rock band that didn't need a gimmick because they really were a bar band.
                        Visit my online store http://www.tripleclicks.com/12395755 or get your own http://www.sfi4.com/12395755/FREE

Comment

• scottydabodi
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jun 2004

Huey Lewis is a good, HONEST, hard-working rock-n-roll singer with a BITCHEN band. Yeah, they're a bit poppy, but they're fucking HONEST. They don't pretend to be something they're not, and they don't follow trends. "Jacob's Ladder" is a REALLY good tune, as are about 100 other Huey tunes. I vote "YES" on this subject, and appreciate them for what they are, a REALLY GOOD, old fashioned rock-n-roll band with a catchy edge...
                          If you listen to fools
                          The Mob Rules

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

It's ironic that Huey Lewis changed the name of his band to "the News" and created a "New Wave" image only after his band (but not him) played on Elvis Costello's first record "My Aim Is True".

Before that they were a hippie band called "Clover" that made a couple albums but never really went anywhere.

As for their music after 1986 or so, as Huey himself said, sometimes bad is really BAD.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

I'd agree. Small Worlds problem, overall, was the drastic change in sound, trying to sound more "world music" friendly (I think Paul Simon was doing the same sort of thing at the time...fuck, everybody was), and it just didn't really sound all that true to form. Hard at Play was just overproduced crap...I will give props to their 50s/60s cover album, they did really well with that. Haven't heard anything off of Plan B except the single Let Her Start Over, or whatever it's called...sounds kinda generic. I've got a home mix of all their stuff, but it's predominantly heavy on the first three albums worth of stuff, where they sounded more raw and more lively.

I never thought I could get behind twangy country until I heard Honky Tonk Blues, though...by all rights, I should fuckin' HATE that song, but god damn if it ain't catchy.
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...