PDA

View Full Version : Just for a Change....

bueno bob
01-09-2005, 02:29 AM
Discuss.

aesop
01-09-2005, 02:31 AM
Foreign exchange rates...

bueno bob
01-09-2005, 02:32 AM
You're importing Huey Lewis albums? ;)

stringfelowhawk
01-09-2005, 02:41 AM
Scored a perfect 800 on the math portion of the SAT.

bueno bob
01-09-2005, 02:42 AM
yay!

aesop
01-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by bueno bob
yay!

Ahhh...reminds me of the time I won that 'most likely to fall from grace' award...

...I thought the audience were all robots from hell...

Rikk
01-09-2005, 03:09 AM
One good thing about that band...just one. The scene in which Christian Bale kills the guy in his apartment in AMERICAN PSYCHO while dancing to IT'S HIP TO BE SQUARE. Classic.

bueno bob
01-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Well, the funny thing about it all is that I thought the first three albums were really good...after that, though, all passable...The News is musically a really diverse act capable of a lot of different things. Plus, seeing the video with the bass player smoking while he was under water deep sea diving was kinda cool :)

Rikk
01-09-2005, 04:27 AM
Well, the funny thing about it all is that I thought the first three albums were really good...after that, though, all passable...The News is musically a really diverse act capable of a lot of different things. Plus, seeing the video with the bass player smoking while he was under water deep sea diving was kinda cool :)

LOL...you know what? I haven't given it much thought. The other day I was watching a movie I hadn't seen in ages...remember F/X? Anyway, it actually is a pretty cool flick. And there's a scene early on when the lead is cooking with his girlfriend in the kitchen and they're listening to THE HEART OF ROCK 'N' ROLL. And even though that came out when I was only eight, it brought me back immediately to that time.

Who knows? Maybe I'm missing out. I do know that Lewis did work extensively and was close to one of my heroes, THIN LIZZY's PHIL LYNOTT.

BrownSound1
01-09-2005, 04:56 AM
I never had any problem with Huey Lewis and the News...in fact, I've got their Greatest Hits cd in my ride now. ;) Sure, it ain't hard rock...but I'll take it any day over the bullshit I hear on the radio.

DavidLeeNatra
01-09-2005, 11:15 AM
great live band !!! saw them back in 1985 and they were really good and blew headliner foreigner off stage...

funny little story...when he toured the "small world" album my mother was asked by a friend if she could drive him to the hilton hotel he had to bring something to somebody...

she winded up in huey's hotelroom where he was sitting with a beer watching football on tv while the friend delivered the coke for the band...

she brought an autograph and a small world buttom as souvenirs from that evening...

stringfelowhawk
01-09-2005, 11:13 PM
I have the greatest hits too. Never a hardcore fan but respect them for being a rock band first in a time when image was more important like it is today. They are a just a rock band that didn't need a gimmick because they really were a bar band.

scottydabodi
01-09-2005, 11:22 PM
Huey Lewis is a good, HONEST, hard-working rock-n-roll singer with a BITCHEN band. Yeah, they're a bit poppy, but they're fucking HONEST. They don't pretend to be something they're not, and they don't follow trends. "Jacob's Ladder" is a REALLY good tune, as are about 100 other Huey tunes. I vote "YES" on this subject, and appreciate them for what they are, a REALLY GOOD, old fashioned rock-n-roll band with a catchy edge...

FORD
01-10-2005, 12:29 AM
It's ironic that Huey Lewis changed the name of his band to "the News" and created a "New Wave" image only after his band (but not him) played on Elvis Costello's first record "My Aim Is True".

Before that they were a hippie band called "Clover" that made a couple albums but never really went anywhere.

As for their music after 1986 or so, as Huey himself said, sometimes bad is really BAD.

bueno bob
01-10-2005, 02:27 AM
I'd agree. Small Worlds problem, overall, was the drastic change in sound, trying to sound more "world music" friendly (I think Paul Simon was doing the same sort of thing at the time...fuck, everybody was), and it just didn't really sound all that true to form. Hard at Play was just overproduced crap...I will give props to their 50s/60s cover album, they did really well with that. Haven't heard anything off of Plan B except the single Let Her Start Over, or whatever it's called...sounds kinda generic. I've got a home mix of all their stuff, but it's predominantly heavy on the first three albums worth of stuff, where they sounded more raw and more lively.

I never thought I could get behind twangy country until I heard Honky Tonk Blues, though...by all rights, I should fuckin' HATE that song, but god damn if it ain't catchy.

Coyote
01-10-2005, 03:32 AM
I only got one album, Sports. And that's all I need, right now... :cool:

High Life Man
01-10-2005, 11:24 AM
I've seen them live a bunch of times. They're a great live band. And they still sound great.

I met Huey last fall when I was in Georgetown. He was on the street and tweaked out of his fucking mind. Looked really old too.

FORD
01-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Despite Huey's "hip to be square" image, I do remember one comment he made when he was interviewed about playing the Live Aid show in 1985.

They asked me if we could go on at 10:00 in the morning. I said, "Are you crazy? My band isn't even done puking until noon!!"

DLR_EngineRoom
01-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Discuss.

Love Huey Lewis & The News! Sports and Fore! were 2 of the best albums ever released, IMO. MOR RnR, not too hard n heavy, def. not too light....just great classic RnR.

rustoffa
01-10-2005, 08:24 PM
"I want a new drug"......undeniable truths in that one and a pretty catchy tune.

Part of the soundtrack of growing up for sure...I need to work on finishing that.
:D

Tiger Roth
01-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Rikk
One good thing about that band...just one. The scene in which Christian Bale kills the guy in his apartment in AMERICAN PSYCHO while dancing to IT'S HIP TO BE SQUARE. Classic.
Have you read the book? There is a whole chapter devoted to Huey Lewis, it was the dudes favorite band. Funny stuff really.