PDA

View Full Version : How the EEAS Band got together ?

Calderone
01-12-2005, 08:47 PM
yeah yeah ...i heard about the bar story but really i don't know
maybe Dave was rehearsing with them by the time of 1984 ?
any info would be great to know !

DLR7884
01-13-2005, 10:36 AM
It's in Dave's book, I believe.

DLR7884
Haven't read it in a while.

Bad Muthafucker
01-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Dave claims that once he had split with Van Halen and made up his mind to form a new band, he began looking around at different guitarists. He came across a video tape of Steve Vai, who had been working with Frank Zappa at the time. He made an effort to meet Vai and eventually did at a local club in Los Angeles. According to Dave, "We split a peanut butter sandwich, and we started a band."

DlocRoth
01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Billy Sheehan says that he and Dave absolutely started the band.

I believe Billy says he got Dave to look at Vai.

light 'em up!
01-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Dave knew Billy from Tallas. Tallas toured w/VH in 1980. I saw that tour..

Bad Muthafucker
01-13-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth

You know, I've heard that as well. Sheehan claims that it was HE and Roth that started the band. From the vibe I've gotten out of old interviews I've read from Sheehan AFTER he left Dave, Sheehan seemed, to me anyway, to be a bit bitter toward Dave being that Dave made it out like Dave and VIA started the band and just kind of forgot to give Sheehan credit.

Calderone
01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
yes ...i forgot that
VH and Talas toured together
maybe Billy brought in Gregg also!

tomballin
01-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Calderone
yes ...i forgot that
VH and Talas toured together
maybe Billy brought in Gregg also!

Billy knew Matt (Bissonette) well, (another great bass player) and that is how Gregg (his brother) found out about the new EEAS band Diamond was putting together. I've got nothing put priase for Gregg Bissonette, class act and awesome drummer.

In fact, Matt Bissonette took over for Billy on his departure from EEAS in 1988 and played with Dave 1988-1989.

Matt and Gregg went on after EEAS fell apart and hooked up with Joe Satriani and did Joe's "The Extremist" album in 1992, that put Satch on the commercial map. Steve Vai, who grew up with Satch, (and Joe is the one that taught Steve how to play guitar), was the one that told Joe to hook up with the Bissonette brothers after EEAS fell apart.

Man, "The Extremist" is still an unbelivable fucking album that is carrying Joe's concert Tours even today. I have always said that Joe needs to hook up with the Bissonette brothers (if Diamond Dave is not going to) and put out another Extremist type of album.

Andy Johns, who produced Satch's Extremist album found out about Satch's new band with the Bissonette brothers from none other than Eddie Van Halen. Probably EVH's way of making sure the Bisonnette brothers would not go back with Diamond Dave after the EEAS breakup.

GAR
01-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by tomballin
Matt and Gregg went on after EEAS fell apart and hooked up with Joe Satriani and did Joe's "The Extremist" album in 1992, that put Satch on the commercial map.

huhuhuhhuh... no no nope..

Cliff Cultreri put Satch on the map after Satch maxed out the credit cards recording what came to be "Surfin' With The Alien" a mere 6 years before that.

It was all over FM radio, you'd have to be a stupid wetback to not have heard one of the 3 instrumentals from that album that were placed in heavy rotation back in 1987.

tomballin
01-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by GAR
huhuhuhhuh... no no nope..

Cliff Cultreri put Satch on the map after Satch maxed out the credit cards recording what came to be "Surfin' With The Alien" a mere 6 years before that.

It was all over FM radio, you'd have to be a stupid wetback to not have heard one of the 3 instrumentals from that album that were placed in heavy rotation back in 1987.

Surfin With the Alien is a smokin album. BUT, Satch brought in Andy John's because he was frustrated with his sound and direction, to do the Extremist, that really put him on the COMMERCIAL mainstream map.

Shite dude Joe got six grammy nominations off the Extremists, and it is 6 times platinum!

You would have to be a stupid wetback to not know this :-)

Bad Muthafucker
01-13-2005, 03:37 PM
I smell an arguement here!

tomballin
01-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by bad_muthafucker
I smell an arguement here!

Naaaa, ..................Forget About It!!!!!!!!

manwiththedogs
01-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by DlocRoth

I`ve heard the story told a couple different ways...but have always believed that Sheehan hooked up with DLR first...then turned Dave on to Vai. Sheehan definetly knew both Dave and Ed from that VH/Talas tour tho...

Wolverine
01-14-2005, 10:54 AM
did vai play on crazy from the heat!!

Carmine
01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by The Godfather
did vai play on crazy from the heat!!

No.

Roguesgirl
01-14-2005, 11:01 AM
[i]Originally posted by tomballin
Matt and Gregg went on after EEAS fell apart and hooked up with Joe Satriani and did Joe's "The Extremist" album in 1992, that put Satch on the commercial map.

Satch was being played all over the place well before 1992.

Calderone
01-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Crazy from the heat is not "Going Crazy " ..from the heat

TwoFoolsAMinute
01-14-2005, 07:30 PM
From DLR's lips in 1986, he said he met Steve Vai in Jail. And they split that peanut butter sandwich in front of the "police store"

academic punk
01-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by TwoFoolsAMinute
From DLR's lips in 1986, he said he met Steve Vai in Jail. And they split that peanut butter sandwich in front of the "police store"

That was a BIG embellishment on dave's part.

Here's the story: Billy got a message from Dave's offices one day in '85. Billy had no idea what it was regarding, since he had not heard from Dave since Talas had done 40 dates opening for VH back in '80. Talas was just preparing to go on the road, and he called Eddie (the two had stayed in touch over the years and were friends) to invite him to their LA shows. During the course of the conversation, Billy mentioned dave had called.

"Really?"
"Yeah."
"You know why?"
"No, I haven't called back yet."
"Well, don't tell anyone, okay? But we fired the fucker."
"Really?"
"Yeah, tell you what, after you talk to him, call me right back, I wanna find out what he's up to."

Billy made the call, met with Dave, and was then left with making the biggest decision of his life: Talas was finally on the brink of breaking through, and here was one of the world's biggest singers (and one who Billy completely got off on) offering him the gig of a lifetime.

Billy decided to go for it. He didn't tell his bandmates, and he didn't call Eddie back.

BTW, yes, Ed did tell Billy "we fired the fucker". It was decided on VH's front that they would be better off saying that Dave left, b/c they didn't want to upset the fanbase. For Dave, he gets to save face by saying he left rather than was fired. Whatever really happened is probably one of those bizarre arguments that no one really knows what happened.

From there, Dave asked Billy who he'd recommend for guitar duties. BILLY SUGGESTED VAI. They arranged to meet at a club that Dave had an ownership stake in, which was open (and serving alcohol) after hours, and the police raided. So as the club was being closed for the night, and Dave was waiting for the cops to write the citations and tickets, Vai approached.

Because Vai was a vegan, he always carreid some food with him (since whatever is open at that hour PROBABLY won't have raw carrots for sale. That night, it happened to be a peanut butter sandwich. he offered Roth half.

As for Bissonette, more than 200 drummers were auditioned for the band. After much consideration - including jamming, hanging out to see if the four personalities gelled, and contract negotiations - Gregg got the job.

This is all in a book called BANG YOUR HEAD, about the rise of the LA metal scene.

tydhurst
01-14-2005, 08:50 PM
I read a book once!

Calderone
01-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Nice...thanx !
academic punk !
It could be really nice that someone
put together a detailed book like KISSFAQ
about DLR ...i mean all the details in how he
wrote the songs, what he did when vai left ...who audicioned
and didnt make the gig,which songs ...etc !!!!!
would be super cool !
plus a cd with outtakes from 1986-2003
like " kill the guy " and "cruel obsession "

tomballin
01-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Sheehan is so full of shit, he's always been full of shit, and full of himself. Roth was smart to part company with the guy, and bring Matt in on Bass.

Originally posted by academic punk
That was a BIG embellishment on dave's part.

Here's the story: Billy got a message from Dave's offices one day in '85. Billy had no idea what it was regarding, since he had not heard from Dave since Talas had done 40 dates opening for VH back in '80. Talas was just preparing to go on the road, and he called Eddie (the two had stayed in touch over the years and were friends) to invite him to their LA shows. During the course of the conversation, Billy mentioned dave had called.

"Really?"
"Yeah."
"You know why?"
"No, I haven't called back yet."
"Well, don't tell anyone, okay? But we fired the fucker."
"Really?"
"Yeah, tell you what, after you talk to him, call me right back, I wanna find out what he's up to."

Billy made the call, met with Dave, and was then left with making the biggest decision of his life: Talas was finally on the brink of breaking through, and here was one of the world's biggest singers (and one who Billy completely got off on) offering him the gig of a lifetime.

Billy decided to go for it. He didn't tell his bandmates, and he didn't call Eddie back.

BTW, yes, Ed did tell Billy "we fired the fucker". It was decided on VH's front that they would be better off saying that Dave left, b/c they didn't want to upset the fanbase. For Dave, he gets to save face by saying he left rather than was fired. Whatever really happened is probably one of those bizarre arguments that no one really knows what happened.

From there, Dave asked Billy who he'd recommend for guitar duties. BILLY SUGGESTED VAI. They arranged to meet at a club that Dave had an ownership stake in, which was open (and serving alcohol) after hours, and the police raided. So as the club was being closed for the night, and Dave was waiting for the cops to write the citations and tickets, Vai approached.

Because Vai was a vegan, he always carreid some food with him (since whatever is open at that hour PROBABLY won't have raw carrots for sale. That night, it happened to be a peanut butter sandwich. he offered Roth half.

As for Bissonette, more than 200 drummers were auditioned for the band. After much consideration - including jamming, hanging out to see if the four personalities gelled, and contract negotiations - Gregg got the job.

This is all in a book called BANG YOUR HEAD, about the rise of the LA metal scene.