X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Bush Plans Record-Breaking Inauguration

American presidents who are inaugurated during wartime usually restrain the ceremonies somewhat.During World War II,Roosevelt cancelled the parade and was sworn in at a very simple ceremony.Even Richard Nixon had a 3 day prayer service in 1969 when another questionable war was being fought.
    One of the worst natural disasters in history is taking place, and America currently has the biggest budget deficit in it's history.
    What to do? Throw the biggest Inauguration EVER,that's what!

Last edited by blueturk; 01-13-2005, 11:58 AM.
  • blueturk
    Veteran
    • Jul 2004

Damn, this thread didn't come out right at all. The link will allow you to rearch for the article I thought I posted. And the subject should have said " nor record deficit". Shit!

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Here's a point of reference for the Busheep....

Clinton, whom you all despise, spent about $30 million on his first innaguration and $20 on his second. That's right, less money, after a sizeable (i.e. more than a highly questionable 2%) margin of victory.

In addition, Clinton's second term began under a healthy economy and was NOT allegedly at "war" which cost billions DAILY.

So I don't ever want to hear any of you talk about fiscal responsibility again if you support this wasteful arrogant coke snorting warmongering chickenshit cowardly Idiot Son of an Asshole.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• BigBadBrian
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        Here's a point of reference for the Busheep....

Clinton, whom you all despise, spent about $30 million on his first innaguration and $20 on his second. That's right, less money, after a sizeable (i.e. more than a highly questionable 2%) margin of victory.

In addition, Clinton's second term began under a healthy economy and was NOT allegedly at "war" which cost billions DAILY.

So I don't ever want to hear any of you talk about fiscal responsibility again if you support this wasteful arrogant coke snorting warmongering chickenshit cowardly Idiot Son of an Asshole.
        Geez, Conservatives get blasted around here for mentioning Clinton.

Double Standard?

Anyway. I found that Clinton spent $33 on his first and $30 on his second Inauguration. Double check your figures and I'll double check mine.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

If so, it's still less money, but I'll check it out.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Of course this one is more expensive!

Between inflation over the last eight years, increased security, a victory that was far more uncertain (and therefore much mroe of a delight) than Clinton's victory in 96, and all the drugs for the host, is it any surprise that this is more expensive???

p.s. I believe that in the wake of the tsunami, Bush had a tremendous opportunity to repair a great deal of the damage that America's reputation has suffered with other nations in his first term.

If he had simply decided, "As much as we really wanted to have this celebration, it is more important that these funds go towards relief in the damaged regions." NO ONE - not even FORD - could have criticized him for that. And he would have generated far greater good will for our country than any other president in memory, moreso than the events of 9/11. NO LIE.

Comment

• vhrightnow
              Full On Cocktard
              • Jan 2005

lol some people just complain about everything don't they?

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Isn't is also strange that they are forcing the D.C. city government to pay 17.3 million dollars that it spends on the inauguration, and makes them pay for it out of it's homeland security budget !!!

Unbelievable....

U.S. Proposes Funding Plan for Inauguration
                Homeland Security Approves Using Federal Funds to Pay Some Costs

BY Marty Niland
                Associated Press Writer
                Wednesday, January 12, 2005; 8:24 PM

Department of Homeland Security officials gave the District of Columbia government permission Wednesday to use federal homeland security money to pay the costs it will incur for President Bush's second inauguration.

The city's costs for the inauguration, the first since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, are expected ton be at least $17.3 million, city officials said.

Department officials informed Mayor Anthony A. Williams in a letter that $11.9 million in security and other costs are eligible to be repaid with the city's Urban Area Strategic Initiative (USAI) grant. The rest of the city's costs can be covered out of the Emergency Planning and Security Cost Fund (EPSF), which has been used in the past for events like President Reagan's funeral, the letter said.

The district is paying overtime for all police officers from every agency covering the inauguration, as well as its own operations. It is also paying some infrastructure and special costs, ranging from $43,260 to develop special license tags, to almost $3 million to build reviewing stands.

Williams' spokeswoman, Sharon Gang, said city is still trying to get the federal government to repay it for all inaugural costs, so it will not have to divert homeland security money that may be needed for other purposes.

The federal government has traditionally reimbursed the city's inauguration costs through a special appropriation. This year, however, federal officials urged the city to use homeland security money it had already been granted.

Several members of Congress joined the call for full federal reimbursement Wednesday in a letter to President Bush.

Democrats Benjamin L. Cardin, Elijah E. Cummings, Steny H. Hoyer, C.A. Dutch Ruppersberger, Chris Van Hollen and Albert R. Wynn of Maryland, James P. Moran of Virginia and Eleanor Holmes Norton of the district all signed the letter.
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• academic punk
                  Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

It's not surprising at all. DC voted for Kerry by 9 to 1. They shafted him, he shfts them. One hand washes the other.

(Clinton did much the same to Utah in his time in office, by declaring ACRES of land "forever wild", and preventing industry from developing there)

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                    Geez, Conservatives get blasted around here for mentioning Clinton.

Double Standard?
                    Ahhhh, poor Cons getting blasted by those meanie liberals! I didn't know facsitst had such thin skin! But then Hitler did puss out and kill himself.

Direct comparisons based in reality are fine. Blaming Clinton for 9/11 or the Iraq quagmire is the bullshit that you get blasted for. Then there are all the times that you neocon shitbags reduce his 8 years in office to a blowjob. Please try to pay attention!

Fuck all y'all, I WANNA PARTY!
                    Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                      It's not surprising at all. DC voted for Kerry by 9 to 1. They shafted him, he shfts them. One hand washes the other.

(Clinton did much the same to Utah in his time in office, by declaring ACRES of land "forever wild", and preventing industry from developing there)
                      Have you ever driven through parts of Utah?? Forever wild is a good term for it. Forever desolate would be more like it. I'm thinking the eastern central part of the state, like where Interstate 70 cuts through it. Makes the Mojave Desert look like a goddamned oasis by comparison.

There are a lot of beautiful deserts in the western part of the country. But that ain't one of 'em. How Brigham Young ever mistakenly thought it was the "promised land" is beyond my understanding.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• blueturk
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2004

First Lady Says Let The Show Go On

Some words of wisdom from Laura Bush concerning the festivities that are worthy of Dubya himself:

"I think there's a symbolic aspect of the inauguration that-and because of that,the symbol of the inauguration,you never want to-for any reason-cancel it or not have it." http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/15/politics/15laura.html?ex=1106778775&ei=1&ry=daab5oc88c46055 a
                        Last edited by blueturk; 01-15-2005, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• academic punk
                          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

I actually agree, albeit cautiously. There IS an importance in celebrating the nation's presidency, and, by extention, government.

Whether the extent and expense of this years festivities is apporpriate is the question....

Comment

• Pontius Pilate
                            Groupie
                            • Jan 2005

Re: Bush Plans Record-Breaking Inauguration

Originally posted by blueturk
                            American presidents who are inaugurated during wartime usually restrain the ceremonies somewhat.During World War II,Roosevelt cancelled the parade and was sworn in at a very simple ceremony.Even Richard Nixon had a 3 day prayer service in 1969 when another questionable war was being fought.
                            One of the worst natural disasters in history is taking place, and America currently has the biggest budget deficit in it's history.
                            What to do? Throw the biggest Inauguration EVER,that's what!

http://p-i.com/national/apwashington...naugural+Costs
                            Oh dear, little man. Where does one begin with such a hateful little liberal such as you? Grasping as straws makes one bitter and ignorant of the facts. FDR, Stalin's best friend, was extremely sick and didn't want to engage in a huge ceremony in order to avoid further jeopardizing his health.

The money funding this Bush ball are from private institutions. Liberals shudder at the word "private."

Who gives a toss about the Tsunami scoundrels? Shall the greatest nation in the world halt for a few haggard countries of little worth? Pontius thinks not! On Bush day, I will spend my money with glee, but will make sure to drop a little tear for the Tsunami people when cleaning out my bowels.
                            Originally posted by scorpioboy33
                            you are a piece of garbage...a nothing...a zero...you don't matter....you make me sick...karma has a way of biting you in the ass when you least expect it ...expect it...!
                            What is Truth?

Comment

• blueturk
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2004

Speaking of spending money with glee, let's give a tip of the cowboy hat to these donors, none of whom expect any favors in the future...

http://www.inaugural05.com/donors/
                              Last edited by blueturk; 01-19-2005, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...