PDA

View Full Version : Does Dave have copies of the unreleased concerts ??

Panamark
01-14-2005, 02:38 AM
We all know there is various live footage of CVH out there.
Its now become the holy grail for the CVH fan..
Lets look at Dave for a moment, back then he was involved
in the production, choreography and business matters with
Van Halen. Can someone here tell me truthfully that its only
EVH that owns copies of these concerts ??? You would think
that Dave would have insisted on having copies of all
this stuff....

So, whats stopping Dave from giving the fans what they
want? (The sisters obviously have no idea)
(Assuming he does have them.)

?????

Anyone have the goods on this one ?

Rikk
01-14-2005, 02:54 AM
I do know that the band's manager actually took a bunch of footage with him when he was fired. It's been half-confirmed that the band have all the film negatives of OAKLAND '81. But as for '84 shows or other footage (the famous WACF tour footage), that's never been confirmed.

People always assume that bands have a big vault in some magical room where they keep all their stuff. But that's apparently completely untrue. ZEPPELIN apparently searched long and hard for the film masters to their ROYAL ALBERT HALL show from 1970, and even then, they only found the majority of the footage but a few songs missing from the reels or incomplete. Thus, the concert went from 2 1/2 hrs. to 1 hr. 50 min. on the DVD.

Hendrix's famous ROYAL ALBERT HALL show was filmed for a concert movie in 1969. Well, thirty-six years later, that concert movie has still not been officially released...tied up in litigation. In fact, it still hasn't come out on DVD because through legal loopholes, the Hendrix family doesn't own the footage or the soundtrack. And until those legal loopholes are cleared, they are unable to release a concert of the very artist they own. (Only legal loopholes allowed Jimi's 1970 BERKELEY concert to be owned by the Hendrix family and released...but even then, 50% of the actual footage is missing, and the recent DVD is still very incomplete.)

Roguesgirl
01-14-2005, 11:05 AM
If Dave has them, can he release them w/o the sisters permission?

Rikk
01-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl
If Dave has them, can he release them w/o the sisters permission?

No. He doesn't own the name VAN HALEN and thus can't release things on his own that the band VAN HALEN created. I'm almost sure there was something in his contract when he left the band to prevent this.

Bill Lumbergh
01-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I just know Ed and Al have a lot of cool shit they have yet to clean up and release. These fuckers are sitting on a pot of gold...........

Rikk
01-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
I just know Ed and Al have a lot of cool shit they have yet to clean up and release. These fuckers are sitting on a pot of gold...........

Lots of bands do this. ZEPPELIN were sitting on stacks of concert tapes and videos before the release last year, and there is still a ton of unreleased footage and unreleased tapes. There are even a few unreleased studio tracks. I've got some of them on bootleg, and there are some really cool things. I've also got a 2 DVD set of an entire pro-shot Zeppelin show from Seattle in 1977. And none of that came out in their recent DVD set (mainly because the sound is only soundboard and not actually possible for a surround remix).

VAN HALEN are the same...and just as ZEPPELIN did for years, they will keep claiming there is nothing really in the vault.

That smells about as reliable as GUWAPO getting an erection in the presence of a woman.

Bill Lumbergh
01-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Rikk

That smells about as reliable as GUWAPO getting an erection in the presence of a woman.

VH will release an 8 cd box set of unreleased material, 6 new Roth era concert Dvds, and a Classic VH live album before that happens.

Bill Lumbergh
01-14-2005, 05:43 PM
It's a shame parts of the RAH show arent on the Dvd. That early show had great versions of Tank You, and Heartbreaker(though snippets of those performances are on the dvd).

Rikk
01-14-2005, 05:46 PM
It's a shame parts of the RAH show arent on the Dvd. That early show had great versions of Tank You, and Heartbreaker(though snippets of those performances are on the dvd).

Yup, in the menus. The recordings exist (on multi-track), but apparently, actual film from those songs doesn't. Apparently, they also did a very raw version of SINCE I'VE BEEN LOVIN' YOU at those shows, way before it was actually recorded, with different lyrics and a different arrangement. It seems like all the organ songs were cut, huh?

Same with HEARTBREAKER...apparently, only a third of the footage existed for that, so they made the decision to cut it. And apparently it was filmed, but it was lost over the years when someone borrowed the footage.

Rikk
01-14-2005, 05:46 PM
VH will release an 8 cd box set of unreleased material, 6 new Roth era concert Dvds, and a Classic VH live album before that happens.

LMFAO!!:D

Bill Lumbergh
01-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Whoops, I meant THANK YOU of course..........Cockvanhalen66's illiteracy is having an effect on me.......

academic punk
01-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I would believe Dave has copies of everything, but in order for this material to see OFFICAL release, everyone who has a copyright on the material has to negotiate terms for its release.

Is that just the band members? Not necessarily. You also have the director of the film, the producer, the manager, WHOEVER.

As Rikk pointed out, the Hendrix estate has been in disarray for DECADES, and will continue to be for YEARS to come. Anyone who ever signed a contract regarding concert footage - who knows, maybe back in '78 someone once had the four members sing somehting saying "Joe Blow will be the exclusive film documentarian with Van halen for as long as the band exists", and can theoretically hold that over their heads. (This is essentially how Billy Joel has lost millions and millions throughout his career)(or why Springsteen sued his first manager Mike Appel back in '78)

With VH, I beleive it's the brothers who have always held this stuff back. Why? Because in the Hagar years they didn't want it to compete with what they were currently about (Sing's manager forebade the footage of the Police at the amnesty concerts to be used, b/c he didn't want it to compete Sting's new solo career)

You know what? At this point, Dave may even be holding back its release. Remember his lawsuit a few years back? If the brothers and Mike Anthony see THREE times the money he does for the copyrights on these songs, WHAT INCENTIVE DOES HE HAVE TO LET THEM RELEASE IT??? If this stuff is to see the light of day, I am CERTAIN dave will demand renegotiations of his compensations.

Sensibly enough, really.

Roguesgirl
01-14-2005, 06:41 PM
and if it doesn't see the light of day, the fans lose again :(

academic punk
01-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Yeah, but if it were you, you wouldn't release it for FREE, right?

If it's gonna come out, it can only come out once. Gotta do it right, production value-wise, promotion value-wise, and financially.

Igosplut
01-14-2005, 08:06 PM
And you have to figure that this is BIG money. Agreed that Dave won't let these things out if he's gonna get the shaft on it.......

dutchie
01-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Dave has filmed shows from the EEAS tour, and probably the Skyscraper tour too. He had plans of releasing a live video of the EEAS tour, but for whatever reason, he never did....

I guess thats Ed and Al's fault too.....

lms2
01-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Honestly, it could be. Dave has always had a certain way he wants things to work out, and will settle for nothing less.

If Dave has in his mind a "release order" whereby the classic stuff comes out first, then yes, it is their fault.

house0paincakes
01-16-2005, 01:53 PM

They're assholes, man! Al & Deadward are too fucking stubborn to release anything with Dave except the same old songs we've heard all our lives. It's a disgrace to the fans (the people who made them what they are) & the band (that used to be.)

I think we'll be bootlegging for a long time to come.

5150Clown
01-16-2005, 05:05 PM
They keep denying it. The tapes prove that the classic line up was the best line up and as long as that's what it will prove, they will not release it. Are you kidd'n...this would sell more than any Sammy VH release.

A classic VH concert on DVD in 5.1 Surround! Daaaaaaaaaaaaam. That bitch would sell more than any hip hop dvd release.

Diamondjimi
01-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by 5150Clown
They keep denying it. The tapes prove that the classic line up was the best line up and as long as that's what it will prove, they will not release it. Are you kidd'n...this would sell more than any Sammy VH release.

A classic VH concert on DVD in 5.1 Surround! Daaaaaaaaaaaaam. That bitch would sell more than any hip hop dvd release.

The way things have gone since VH died ('85). I somehow feel that it would take something as serious as a death of an original member before this incredible event would be considered by them (VH)....
Lets hope Ed & Shemp wake up and realise their window of realevance is closing.
Shit , I remember a rumour about EVH refusing to partcipate in Dio's "Hear'n Aid" project because Spinal Tap was involved.

I also remember EVH when asked if he had seen "This is Spinal Tap" the movie, his response was "I was watching it with some friends and they were laughing themselves to tears,I had tears in my eyes but they weren't from laughing. That movie hits a little too close to home"

VH has become a "Spinal Tap".

Michael Anthony should slap the shit out these two delusional fucks.
Sit them down like a couple of 10 year olds and tell them like it is.
Never understood how he could stand by them for so long. He's also been gettin shit on by the sisters for years. He's made loads of cash he does'nt need the paycheck. That guy needs to grow a spine.

Dave or the Grave !!!

DLRdelight!
01-17-2005, 01:19 AM
THis stuff will eventually be released, if not by the sisters, then by wolfy when the sisters are gone

tomballin
01-17-2005, 03:23 AM
Yes, there is plenty of unreleased material. Me, I saw fuck em (The Sisters, not Dave). There is plenty of ex roadies, Tour management people, studio people, VH friends, etc. that have a lot of great video and audio stuff never seen. Dig them up, make them a deal they cannot refuse, and then bootleg some awesome DVD's from a European address, and let's get on down the road.

Knucklebones
01-17-2005, 06:29 AM
I have a video of CVH playing Unchained Live. (not the video thingy on the site)