PDA

View Full Version : Early Years Dvd

Shaun Ponsonby
01-14-2005, 01:23 PM
I am considering buying 'The Van Halen Story:The Early Years' DVD, and have been for some time. But if there is one thing I hate about buying unofficial documentries it's that they generally suck.

So, could somebody please tell me what it is like?

DaveTheSoulOfVH
01-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Cool interviews and pics but NO CVH MUSIC and NO LIVE ARCHIVE FOOTAGE

twonabomber
01-14-2005, 02:20 PM
it's a piece of shit. don't spend money on it, download it if you can.

Dave's PA Rental
01-14-2005, 03:24 PM
Its so NOT a piece of shit...every true VH fan should own it. Lots of good stories, Mark Stone commentary, and we get to see some dude's basement as the 'Van Halen Museum'...

Dave's PA Rental
01-14-2005, 03:27 PM
The story about how the 'back yard parties' would spread out and cover 4-5 blocks befor the cops came to break it up is worth the price alone, PLUS you get to see the ORIGINAL Mark Stone Van Halen logo...(how much would that go for on Ebay?)

By the way, this is a duplicate thread. Actually there are 3-4 threads on this from about a year ago...

You know the SEARCH function works on this mo'fo'...

Terry
01-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Nothing essential. 'Bout as good as a Van Halen documentary without music can be. If you don't get it, you won't be missing much. For completists only.

Bill Lumbergh
01-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, if you're a hardcore fan you'll know all those stories already..........that said, it's not bad if the price is right.

Roguesgirl
01-14-2005, 06:49 PM
I like that silouette pic of the band :cool:

Cato
01-14-2005, 08:04 PM
it's obviously a shit, that someone created to make money.
don't take Dave's PA seriously. he's a complete amateur at this thing.

Halen High
01-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I was wondering the same thing. For the first time I saw a copy of it in one of our local mainstream music stores and thought about buying it but didn't. It's only $AUS15.00 so maybe it's worth it for the rare pics and interviews.

lms2
01-14-2005, 08:07 PM
So what are some of the stories on the DVD... I am into stories and interviews, but not if they say the same thing 50 different ways!

Halen High
01-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Yes, we need someone to give us a real rundown on this DVD.

Dave's book covers those early years pretty well anyway.

twonabomber
01-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
Its so NOT a piece of shit...

it's very much a piece of shit. a low-budget amateur looking half assed piece of shit. there's a fucking clip from the motherfucking Poseidon Adventure on it, for chrissakes.

i liken it to those shows they have on E!, where so-and-so from People magazine says, "well, at this time of his life, (fill in celeb name here), was having big problems with (insert addictive substance here)"...what the fuck do i care about what someone else has to say? i want to hear it from the subject themselves, not from assorted hangers-on. other than Mark Stone being on it, the rest of it is completely fucking worthless to me. barely worth the blank DVD it was copied on, and almost barely worth the cost of the postage it took to get it to me.

frets5150
01-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Got it when it first came out watched it once. :rolleyes:

DLRdelight!
01-15-2005, 02:16 AM
Good jokes as well by Dave, he actually says my quote on the film

DaveTheSoulOfVH
01-15-2005, 02:24 AM
some cool pics...

DaveTheSoulOfVH
01-15-2005, 02:27 AM

DaveTheSoulOfVH
01-15-2005, 02:29 AM

DaveTheSoulOfVH
01-15-2005, 02:32 AM

Roguesgirl
01-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Beautiful...thank you. :)

VH LINKS SUCKS
01-15-2005, 11:37 PM
If there wasn't enough Dave bashing already by the hagar sheep throughout the years, some of them will even take it to a new level of stupidity with mention of Jim Dandy in the Early Years DVD and using that clip from the man and saying Dave stole Jim's act yada yada yada. It's not even worth an argument with the sheep...

Big Troubles
01-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by VH LINKS SUCKS
If there wasn't enough Dave bashing already by the hagar sheep throughout the years, some of them will even take it to a new level of stupidity with mention of Jim Dandy in the Early Years DVD and using that clip from the man and saying Dave stole Jim's act yada yada yada. It's not even worth an argument with the sheep...

well if that becomes the case, we Roth and Rollers, will point out, that on that very DvD, Jim Dandy himself, doesn't think Dave copied him, and likes what Dave does on the stage. :D But you are right, it's not worth the argument. They are stuck on the idea that Sam Hagar is somehow a better frontman. :lol: What a fucking joke.

rustoffa
01-16-2005, 12:04 AM
Jim Barleywinkle also goes on record on the DVD as being a fan of Roth.

Jim Mangum is currently looking like a fat witch.

As far as the DVD in general, it's got a dude that was around in the early years saying "Dave was the dude" on it.

Pretty much sums it up.

CROWBAR
01-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
it's very much a piece of shit. a low-budget amateur looking half assed piece of shit. there's a fucking clip from the motherfucking Poseidon Adventure on it, for chrissakes.

i liken it to those shows they have on E!, where so-and-so from People magazine says, "well, at this time of his life, (fill in celeb name here), was having big problems with (insert addictive substance here)"...what the fuck do i care about what someone else has to say? i want to hear it from the subject themselves, not from assorted hangers-on. other than Mark Stone being on it, the rest of it is completely fucking worthless to me. barely worth the blank DVD it was copied on, and almost barely worth the cost of the postage it took to get it to me.

Well, that explains why there is so many of these being sold on ebay!

Thanx, but no

Dave's PA Rental
01-16-2005, 09:14 PM

So you didnt pay for it, and yet you feel so strongly about it. Well, you have a right to your opinion...as do I. And I think that's what the thread-starter was asking for: opinions. You take this stuff too seriously. I'll bet you kicked your dog after you watched this.

As I said before, I liked it for alot of the cool stories that were told. And yes, most of us have heard the stories before, but Ive never actually seen the faces of the people IN the stories, not to mention hearing them tell the stories themselves.

twonabomber
01-16-2005, 09:30 PM
ha ha, joke's on you. i don't have a dog!

Figs
03-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Just got it from Netflix. Mostly a piece of shit. The phony VH-like music throughout is really, really annoying. Barely worth a rental.

I think this is the only Dave-era dvd out there - which is another kick in the balls from VH.

twonabomber
03-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Figs
Just got it from Netflix. Mostly a piece of shit. The phony VH-like music throughout is really, really annoying. Barely worth a rental.

did you like the part where the guy scrawled "Hot For Teacher" on a blackboard when they mentioned the song? now that's quality, innovative filmmaking.

wrigleyvillbabe
03-12-2005, 01:25 PM
It just doesn't do them any justice. I agree, from a documentary filmmaker's standpoint that it is, in fact, a steaming piece of shit. There needs to be a behind the music for classic vh.

Figs
03-12-2005, 01:29 PM
did you like the part where the guy scrawled "Hot For Teacher" on a blackboard when they mentioned the song? now that's quality, innovative filmmaking.

Ha! That kinda sums up the whole rip-off feel of the film.

twonabomber
03-12-2005, 01:31 PM
it was a repackaging of cheaply acquired stock footage done merely as a cash grab, not for historical purposes or affection of the subject.

wow, that looked like a Wayne L. sentence there.

Matt White
03-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Yup. I bought it when it came out. Very disapointing. Nothing new on it. Rehashed history, no Kewl interviews. Total snooze fest. D-

vanzilla
03-12-2005, 01:51 PM
I helped the producer, Mark McLaughlin, work on this. I lent him my interview with Dave from 1994 (see Vanzilla's 1994 DLR Interview thread for entire transcription) and also shot the Jim Dandy interview here in Nashville. From all of the bullshit the VH camp gave him, it was a wonder he was able to make a a documentary out of it at all.

First, Van Halen and Warner Bros. wouldn't grant them permission to use any of the music. Even though it was budgeted to pay for the rights/royalties, The VH camp wouldn't even take the money in exchange for the songs. That's why you there are no VH tunes on there. Believe me, that's the first thing they tried to get.

Secondly, Ed, Al, Mike, Sam and Dave all refused to be interviewed for it. That right there limits your story telling capabilites. Don Landee and Ted Templeman also refused to be interviewed.

Originally it was going to be a documentary focusing on the entire history of the band, including the break ups and reunion possilbiities. When no one agreed to be interviewed that fell through.

So Mark peiced together the best stuff he was able to get. And that was the stories of the early days of the band.

I completely understand everyone's criticsms, and agree with a few of them, but I applaud Mark for making something out of nothing. I thought it turned out well considering how limited his possiblities were.
He began with the best of intentions.

By the way, Alex saw the DVD and liked it. Ed refuses to watch it. Not sure if Mike or Dave have checked it out.

As for seeing a full blown VH Behind the Music. Don't hold your breath. They've asked a million times and ran into the same shit we did. That's why it hasn't been made. At least Mark put out something that paid tribute to CVH. Whether you like it or not, you got to give him credit for that.

Bill Lumbergh
03-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa

As far as the DVD in general, it's got a dude that was around in the early years saying "Dave was the dude" on it.

Pretty much sums it up.

lmfao! Wasnt that guy wearing one of those hats with the fake hair attached inside?! :D

EbDawson
03-13-2005, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by vanzilla
I helped the producer, Mark McLaughlin, work on this. I lent him my interview with Dave from 1994 (see Vanzilla's 1994 DLR Interview thread for entire transcription) and also shot the Jim Dandy interview here in Nashville. From all of the bullshit the VH camp gave him, it was a wonder he was able to make a a documentary out of it at all.

First, Van Halen and Warner Bros. wouldn't grant them permission to use any of the music. Even though it was budgeted to pay for the rights/royalties, The VH camp wouldn't even take the money in exchange for the songs. That's why you there are no VH tunes on there. Believe me, that's the first thing they tried to get.

Secondly, Ed, Al, Mike, Sam and Dave all refused to be interviewed for it. That right there limits your story telling capabilites. Don Landee and Ted Templeman also refused to be interviewed.

Originally it was going to be a documentary focusing on the entire history of the band, including the break ups and reunion possilbiities. When no one agreed to be interviewed that fell through.

So Mark peiced together the best stuff he was able to get. And that was the stories of the early days of the band.

I completely understand everyone's criticsms, and agree with a few of them, but I applaud Mark for making something out of nothing. I thought it turned out well considering how limited his possiblities were.
He began with the best of intentions.

By the way, Alex saw the DVD and liked it. Ed refuses to watch it. Not sure if Mike or Dave have checked it out.

As for seeing a full blown VH Behind the Music. Don't hold your breath. They've asked a million times and ran into the same shit we did. That's why it hasn't been made. At least Mark put out something that paid tribute to CVH. Whether you like it or not, you got to give him credit for that.

Neat story man! Ed refuses to watch it. Big surprise. He's too busy creating music for the masses.

Guess I'm the only one on the planet who liked the DVD. So it didn't reveal the whereabouts of Jimmy Hoffa's body. It was only 10 bucks. That's 2 beers and a tip at Hooters. Plus it had a neat piece on the Atomic Punks. Whattdaya want? Wicker?

Triumph
03-13-2005, 04:16 AM
The DVD was great, for me to poop on.
I would rather have the 2 beers and tip at Hooters.
And tell the Atomic Fucks to retire already because they are the worms that devour the carcas of the Mighty Van Halen spirit in true poser form.
In a word, they are "poop".

tydhurst
03-14-2005, 11:16 PM
I hate those fucking unofficial biographies, i Keep recieving Beatles ones from family members for christmas!