PDA

View Full Version : Spammy could NEVER sing.

Matt White
01-15-2005, 12:45 AM
I know the sister's raved about his "range" when he joined up, but it's complete BULLSHIT.
Has ANYBODY other than the sisters or van hagar SHEEp EVER mentioned Spammy when talking about the truly GREAT singers in ROCK?!? Paul Rodgers, Robert Plant, Rodger Daltery, Freddie Mercury,.............???
NOBODY thinks that Spam has a great voice, no critic or serious musical publication.
Then, how come the SHEEp think that the guy is the second coming of 'ol Blue Eyes?!?! That fat bastard couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, not even mentioning his ABYSMAL song writing. It's a mystery as how this MYTH has been sustained for so long!!!

Denny
01-15-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Matt White
I know the sister's raved about his "range" when he joined up, but it's complete BULLSHIT.
Has ANYBODY other than the sisters or van hagar SHEEp EVER mentioned Spammy when talking about the truly GREAT singers in ROCK?!? Paul Rodgers, Robert Plant, Rodger Daltery, Freddie Mercury,.............???
NOBODY thinks that Spam has a great voice, no critic or serious musical publication.
Then, how come the SHEEp think that the guy is the second coming of 'ol Blue Eyes?!?! That fat bastard couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, not even mentioning his ABYSMAL song writing. It's a mystery as how this MYTH has been sustained for so long!!!

Three Lock Box isn't exactly Stairway To Heaven or Runnin' With The Devil.

Matt White
01-15-2005, 12:54 AM
"Your Love is Drivin' Me Crazy" ain't no "ALL RIGHT NOW" or "WISHING WELL"!!!

Denny
01-15-2005, 01:05 AM
"Your Love is Drivin' Me Crazy" ain't no "ALL RIGHT NOW" or "WISHING WELL"!!!

"Turn Your Clocks Back" AKA "It's About Time"

isn't Exactly "Just Like Paradise"

"Just Like Paradise" is 1,000,000 times better than EVERY VAN HAGAR song put together.

Bill Lumbergh
01-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Great post Matt.........the only people I've heard call Sammy a "great" singer are the Sisters and critics. I've never heard any props from his peers........I dont know, ask Mona I'm sure he really tears it up as she's ramming him. His FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH is Rock gold! VOA or the grave bitches!!!!!!

Matt White
01-15-2005, 01:27 AM
"The Girl gets Around"!!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I almost forgot that shakespearean classic BILL!!!
The guy has ALWAYS been a B-Level hack, with NO personality and limited range. What a FUCKIN' JOKE!!!

Denny
01-15-2005, 01:32 AM
"The Girl gets Around"!!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
I almost forgot that shakespearean classic BILL!!!
The guy has ALWAYS been a B-Level hack, with NO personality and limited range. What a FUCKIN' JOKE!!!

B-Level hack????? More like Z-Level Hack.

Matt White
01-15-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Denny
B-Level hack????? More like Z-Level Hack.

Utterly worthless performer. 30+ year career and the guy FLAT OUT can't sing. From MONTROSE, where he's CONTINUOUSLY singing out of key, to UP CHUCK FOR BREAKFAST, this dullard has consistently been awful.

BIG GOOSE
01-15-2005, 01:56 AM
I never got the shit when all these people were saying Spam was a better singer,it goes to show you Spam fans are called sheep for a reason,no independant thought,just blind(and deaf) drones.

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Well what about Grammy award for a third Van Hagar album ??:)

David Van Via
01-15-2005, 10:40 AM
not even mentioning his ABYSMAL song writing.

But he has such great lyrics like.

"Only time will tell if we stand the test of time"

Come on that's just fucking lazy.

Matt White
01-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
Well what about Grammy award for a third Van Hagar album ??:)

What about Jethro Tull winning for BEST METAL PERFORMANCE?!?!
Are the Grammy's suddenly a legitimizing factor???
How many Grammy's have LED ZEPPELIN or The BEATLES won???

Nickdfresh
01-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I guess there will always be a place for whiteboy pseudo-Blues knock off singers like Hagar. Their is nothing particularly outstanding about Sammy's raspy, screechy voice.

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 12:17 PM
What about Jethro Tull winning for BEST METAL PERFORMANCE?!?!
Are the Grammy's suddenly a legitimizing factor???
How many Grammy's have LED ZEPPELIN or The BEATLES won???
So what about the 'NOBODY thinks that Spam has a great voice, no critic or serious musical publication' line?

I myself don't care about Grammy's or articles in any musical publication(s). I like Sammy pre-VH, in VH and post-VH. I wonder if any of you here have actually hearded anything from HSAS :).

Matt White
01-15-2005, 12:28 PM
HSAS?!? With Schon? TERRIBLE!
Standing Hampton, VOA, Three Lock Box, Montrose?!?!
The guy has NEVER had a good voice.
"Serious musical publication". I'm not talking about the "INSIDE" fanzine. RS, BLENDER, etc. Spam has never been mentioned as a "great" singer, or as having a "great" voice. Journeyman hack who dragged down what was once AMERICA'S GREATEST HARD ROCK BAND.

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 12:49 PM
I think the main reason he wasn't mentioned as a great voice because he wasn't a great frontman neither in his solo career, neither in VH. That doesn't make him a bad singer, simply because he has a very high range, he can use his voice live and he has unique recognizable vibes, but once again - which fit his own, not a 'legendary' style. I'm not surprised he's not enrolled in any list (at least not in top 10) 'cause he's more of a 'party' singer, and he's never written/sang songs like 'Stairway' or 'Child in Time' or 'Rhapsody' or whatever.

BTW, HSAS - terrible?? Well, that's confusing :confused:

Matt White
01-15-2005, 01:56 PM
"Party Vibe"?!?! On what, Give to Live???
The guy tried to step into DAVE'S Shoes and found his tiny little hooves didn't fit. The guy doesn't have a good voice, and he hasn't written a memorable tune in a 30+ year career. I just find alot of humor in those who think he has some "remarkable" voice. Totaly unfounded claim.

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Party Vibe on 'Angel's Eyes'?

I've ment overall catalogue, not some single tunes (although despite how much this one is flamed here, Eagles Fly is a memorable tune). And IMO you can like or dislike the guy, but he has a great voice, he covers notes other singers find hard to reach with falsetto (ie Salvation on Sand Hill), and he hasn't lost his pipes in years (I like his latest solo stuff voice-wise more than anything he's done pre-and in VH).

And what goes for remarkable part, I can't get how singers like Bon Scott get any credit when every second band like Motley Crue or Quiet Riot sound just like him.

Matt White
01-16-2005, 12:13 AM
"Falsetto"?!? He doesn't have a range like Freddy Mercury. He doesn't have much range. He can't hit notes "others find hard". He's a one trick pony. I'm sure he does his share of Scattin', but that has nothing to do with singing for Spam!
The boots from the 2004 FLEECE THE SHEEP tour clearly demonstrate that the 'old guy CAN'T hit the high notes anymore. Too much refer & Cheap booze. His age is showin', it happens to the best as well as the extremely average like hagar.

As for BON SCOTT, a true LEGEND, the fact that you don't "get" him is a clear indication that there is no point in cuntinuing this debate.

Knucklebones
01-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Van Hagar a party band? WTF?

Last I knew, Van Halen with David Lee Roth was the one that made everyone wanna party.

Van Hagar was what you play when you want everyone's dick to shrivel up and leave.

Apollo
01-16-2005, 05:09 AM
I dont like Sammy very much. Actually I hate the guy. But I dont think he's a bad singer.

Matt White
01-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Spam hagar is an AVERAGE/-BELOW AVERAGE rock singer. Very little blues influence, very little soul. Not great range. The guy has been stuck with a high pitched voice and doesn't have a bottom end. THe old guy now can't hit the high notes. Add the fact the he hasn't written a memorable lyric in 30+ ears, and you have a truly laughable character.
I just get a laugh out of the MYTH that this clown has a GREAT voice.
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Nickdfresh
01-16-2005, 01:49 PM

I've ment overall catalogue, not some single tunes (although despite how much this one is flamed here, Eagles Fly is a memorable tune). And IMO you can like or dislike the guy, but he has a great voice, he covers notes other singers find hard to reach with falsetto (ie Salvation on Sand Hill), and he hasn't lost his pipes in years (I like his latest solo stuff voice-wise more than anything he's done pre-and in VH).

No, no he doesn't have a great voice. He has a bland, mediocre vocal style that is essentially second-rate blues-singer mimicking. And I guess somebody has to like his Waborita stuff.

Mishar_McLeud
01-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Yep, I like his Waborita stuff. If you've listened to 'Karma Wheel' for example I doubt you'd say he's a second-rate blues singer.
Have you heard 'Remember the Heroes'?

Nickdfresh
01-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Yep, I like his Waborita stuff. If you've listened to 'Karma Wheel' for example I doubt you'd say he's a second-rate blues singer.
Have you heard 'Remember the Heroes'?

I am proud to say NO!

flappo
01-16-2005, 04:06 PM
sammy hagar is a roger daltrey wanabee , simple as that

Nickdfresh
01-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by flappo
sammy hagar is a roger daltrey wanabee , simple as that

That's the truth.

In fact, it just came to mind! I remembering hearing a rumor back around the Van Hagar breakup/Cherone abortion VH3 era. It was said on (VH1 I think) on some rock round table discussion program that is long since gone, that one of the reasons they cut Sammy loose was they felt he could no longer sing live on an extended tour and that he was gaining too much weight to be a frontman.

How true this is I don't know, but there are a few that have heard Sammy era bootlegs and have said his voice has faded.

scottydabodi
01-16-2005, 07:13 PM

When is MATT ever wrong? This is ANOTHER 5 STAR POST from the King of all RothHardcores --MATT WHITE. Sam's voice has always been a source of irritation to any rock fan with an IQ over 14. How this guy's career ever got off the ground is of miraculous proportions... early on in Montrose, he was an OK(at best) singer... and he hasn't propelled much farther beyond that OK status since! Mind you that would be OVER 30 YEARS AGO!! Now, as far as the travesty of him winding up as the singer in VH, well, is a whole other ballgame... to hire a blatantly MEDIOCRE singer to replace the GREATEST FRONTMAN OF ALL TIME, then perpetually(over the next 20 years) degradate, insult, and try to destroy the legacy created by your predecessor is just completely CHILDISH. Hagar = Douche.

scottydabodi
01-16-2005, 07:17 PM

And what goes for remarkable part, I can't get how singers like Bon Scott get any credit when every second band like Motley Crue or Quiet Riot sound just like him.

Hey Mishar McMoron, I have a message from Estrada for you:

tydhurst
01-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Has anyone seen Hagar MASSACRE "Rock and Roll" on the 1985 Farm Aid performace? Where he hits the top of his range at the beginning of the song, but the notes of the song get higher and he really struggles, it's funny as FUCK!

Hecubus
01-16-2005, 11:16 PM
My main things against Hagar are:

-His voice is too whiny. It never really sounded like it meshed well with Eddie's guitar on more than a handful of tunes & that's pushing it.

-His lyrics are terrible. From Trans Am (we know how it's spelled, Sam, but thanks anyway..) to Dreams to It's About Time (who cares if that song was rushed, my 2 year old could have come up with better words...)

-The tequila. Now I realize that he's invested a lot of time & money in the bars/booze, but it has become his main identity and it's as old as seeing Donovan McNabb's mom all over those fucking chunky soup commercials.

That being said, I recognize that the guy has been a mainstay in the rock & roll world & for that, I say props, just don't do it near my favorite guitar-bass-drums combo anymore, please.

Terry
01-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Sam has a higher natural range than Roth...that's about it.

All of Eddie's blathering about how he didn't have to tune down to E flat or D anymore after 1985 to accomodate Dave's voice. Just utter nonsense, because you can hear the downtuning on plenty of Van Hagar tunes.

Hagar has no bottom-end, and scream for scream Roth matches Sam in terms of octaves.

Hagar has a mid-range voice perfectly suited to his middle-of-the-road lyrics and frontman approach, all of which combine in an average testament to mediocrity.

Nickdfresh
01-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Terry
Sam has a higher natural range than Roth...that's about it.

All of Eddie's blathering about how he didn't have to tune down to E flat or D anymore after 1985 to accomodate Dave's voice. Just utter nonsense, because you can hear the downtuning on plenty of Van Hagar tunes.

Hagar has no bottom-end, and scream for scream Roth matches Sam in terms of octaves.

Hagar has a mid-range voice perfectly suited to his middle-of-the-road lyrics and frontman approach, all of which combine in an average testament to mediocrity.

True. If it took merely a high, falsetto range for singer to be a good rock vocalist, this guy would be the lead singer of Van Hagar:
http://www.vhvault.com/vhbass/Pics/live%2098%20jd%20bass.jpg

CVHfan
01-17-2005, 09:12 PM
The only thing Hagar ever did that was good was the first Montrose album. Though, having Ronnie playing guitar when he was in his prime really helped. That album was the best 8 songs that Hagar ever did. After that, it is all down hill. He totally went to shit. Solo carrer, Van Hagar. Up Chuck for Breakfast had some of the worst lyrics that I have ever heard. The only thing worse was VHIII

Mishar_McLeud
01-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Hecubus
My main things against Hagar are:

-His voice is too whiny. It never really sounded like it meshed well with Eddie's guitar on more than a handful of tunes & that's pushing it.

What about intro to BOBW and outro for Rock'n'Roll (both from LWAN) ? His voice is far from whiny, and on those two sounds just like Eddie's guitar tone. Or vox/guitar duel during Panama on Tokyo '89 concert? Or RHRN version of 'When it's Love' where Hagar takes the note I can't hit with falsetto?
Hagar may be not a good frontman (in someone's opinion), but he's anything but a bad singer.

Mishar_McLeud
01-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by CVHfan
The only thing Hagar ever did that was good was the first Montrose album. Though, having Ronnie playing guitar when he was in his prime really helped. That album was the best 8 songs that Hagar ever did. After that, it is all down hill. He totally went to shit. Solo carrer, Van Hagar. Up Chuck for Breakfast had some of the worst lyrics that I have ever heard. The only thing worse was VHIII
Sammy's voice went better as far as his career went on. Actually he sounds pretty funny to me on Montrose albums, and on Danger Zone. With HSAS he sounded pretty much the same like on 5150 and Ou812. I like his voice post-Balance much more.

tydhurst
01-18-2005, 11:31 AM
What about intro to BOBW and outro for Rock'n'Roll (both from LWAN) ? His voice is far from whiny, and on those two sounds just like Eddie's guitar tone. Or vox/guitar duel during Panama on Tokyo '89 concert? Or RHRN version of 'When it's Love' where Hagar takes the note I can't hit with falsetto?
Hagar may be not a good frontman (in someone's opinion), but he's anything but a bad singer.

ANYONE AGREE???

NO???

Yep, thought so... Wrong forum, sorry!

Nickdfresh
01-18-2005, 12:10 PM
Someone needs to be inducted to the SHEEP PEN, MISHAR. But I really think you are a higher class of SHEEP. You can have your own dorm room and you get all of your Red Cross care packages (usually Bob, Bill and Merle steal them and break the Van Hagar bootlegs and eat the chocolate chip cookies).

Jesterstar
01-18-2005, 12:14 PM
I watched Sammy on Cribs when he was trotting around his Cabo Wabo Suck-O.

He started singing to remind people that is what he did. But anyway he starts singing and without alot of production behind him he sounds like a wounded soldier waiting for permission to die after his Guts and Throat were blown up.

Matt White
01-18-2005, 12:24 PM
PATHETIC. The guy has lost what little range he had. He sounds like an old woman now.

Jesterstar
01-18-2005, 12:27 PM
PATHETIC. The guy has lost what little range he had. He sounds like an old woman now.

If that old woman had a Sex change and had it's throat replaced with a cat in heat. then yes your right.

"I can't drive 55" Is the worst song i've ever heard ever. AND I ONCE OWNED A NELSON ALBUM!!!!!!!!

Mishar_McLeud
01-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Someone needs to be inducted to the SHEEP PEN, MISHAR. But I really think you are a higher class of SHEEP. You can have your own dorm room and you get all of your Red Cross care packages (usually Bob, Bill and Merle steal them and break the Van Hagar bootlegs and eat the chocolate chip cookies).
You'd be proud to have an EEAS and Skyscraper and YFLM and ALAE posters in that SHEEP PEN :D. I'd bring them in my room :) .

Anyway I'll try to avoid Sam-related threads I guess.

Matt White
01-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Point!
If you then took that cat in heat, set its genitals on fire, placed it in a burlap bag, and kicked it down the stairs, it STILL would have greater range than SPAM hagar. Even after it died.

tydhurst
01-18-2005, 12:43 PM
You'd be proud to have an EEAS and Skyscraper and YFLM and ALAE posters in that SHEEP PEN :D. I'd bring them in my room :) .

Good call. It's like returning to hte scene of the crime!

Jesterstar
01-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Point!
If you then took that cat in heat, set its genitals on fire, placed it in a burlap bag, and kicked it down the stairs, it STILL would have greater range than SPAM hagar. Even after it died.

Even if after death the Banshies of hell twist and smash the balls of the dead cat in heat while it's entire body was engulfed in flames while getting throat fucked by the 1977 harlem gloab trotters in the darkest part of hell I'd still think it was better than sammy and would buy that ablbum before any of sammy's projects.

Matt White
01-18-2005, 12:47 PM

Speak your mind. A lot of shit gets thrown around, but an honest opinion is always welcome. A warped sense of humor is essential!

Nickdfresh
01-18-2005, 12:49 PM
This thread, much like Spammy's singing, is degenerating into a cruelty to animals debacle. My dog use to run out of the room and whine incessantly when I played Hagar on the radio. I think Van Hagar vocals are sort of like running one's fingers down a chalk board for animals.

Mishar_McLeud
01-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Speak your mind. A lot of shit gets thrown around, but an honest opinion is always welcome. A warped sense of humor is essential!
I'll keep that in mind http://www.freepgs.com/mishar/misc/thumb.gif

Golden AWe
01-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Sammy's voice went better as far as his career went on. Actually he sounds pretty funny to me on Montrose albums, and on Danger Zone. With HSAS he sounded pretty much the same like on 5150 and Ou812. I like his voice post-Balance much more.

bwahahahahhahahaha!

well, he's just a kid. what could he know...

:)

Mishar_McLeud
01-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Do you know Noddy Holder?

Golden AWe
01-18-2005, 04:12 PM
"who's crazee now?"

Mishar_McLeud
01-18-2005, 04:24 PM
How many kids do you know who know Slade nowadays :)?

And Noddy's a great singer btw. Live version of 'Get Down And Get With It' - un-f'ing-believable.

tydhurst
01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Ever heard of Led Zeppelin? Robert Plant's a good singer too, but that's niether here nor there, like your last two posts

Matt White
01-18-2005, 11:06 PM
How many kids do you know who know Slade nowadays :)?

And Noddy's a great singer btw. Live version of 'Get Down And Get With It' - un-f'ing-believable.

I was driving home from work Saturday night, and heard "Gudbuy T'Jane" on a Lansing Michigan radio station! I laughed so hard I almost crashed! FUCKIN' RIGHT!!!

She's a queen, can't you see what I mean;
She's a queen
See, see, she's a queen
And I know she's alright, alright, alright, alright
I say you're so young, you're so young

BIG GOOSE
01-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by CVHfan
The only thing Hagar ever did that was good was the first Montrose album.

Even that's patchy.The best song on it is "Rock The Nation" (a Ronnie song),"Bad Motor Scooter" lyrics are shit(shape of shit to come)."I Don't Want It" another appalling lyric (making toothpicks out of logs no less).Fuckin hell there is some shit lyric on that album.

Mishar_McLeud
01-19-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by tydhurst
Ever heard of Led Zeppelin? Robert Plant's a good singer too, but that's niether here nor there, like your last two posts
I like Zeps more because of Page than because of Plant :).

BTW what's wrong with discussing other singers in this thread?

tydhurst
01-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Nothing, it takes the focus off of Hagar!

Matt White
01-26-2005, 01:31 AM
Still stickin' to my guns: Spam has little range & zero lyrical content. A chimp could sing his songs.....BETTER!!!

Panamark
01-26-2005, 02:01 AM
I genuinely dislike Sammy's vocals. I also think he is a very lame
entertainer compared to Dave.

Nobody could replace Dave, but they could have done a *LOT* better
than Hagar.

I honestly have to turn off any Van Hagar songs due to the annoyance
of his vocal style. His lyrics suck. I will never understand him being
hired for this once classic Rock band.