PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article comparing Roth to Pres Lincoln, Hagar to Reagan & Bush Cherone

edvanheineken
01-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Has Bush 'Gary Cheroned' This Presidency? Eddie Spaghetti Thinks So
10.29.2004 4:01 PM EDT

"Let's say that the Republican Party is Van Halen ..."

So begins the modest proposal recently circulated by Supersuckers frontman Eddie Spaghetti, which postulates that George W. Bush has "totally Gary Cheroned" this presidency. This thesis, which Spaghetti (real name Edward Carlyle Daly III, or so he claims) sent out to the band's e-mail list, has stirred up quite a reaction, not only from his more politically minded fans, but also from diehard followers of Van Halen.

Spaghetti equated original Van Halen singer David Lee Roth with Abraham Lincoln — "an ass kicking, slave freeing, minimize-the-government-in-our-lives bad ass. The glory years." He then put forth the idea that Roth's replacement, Sammy Hagar, was more akin to Ronald Reagan: "He totally lost the diehard, but for some reason, Van Halen have never been more popular. Hit after hit. The Van Halen machine makes more money than anyone thought possible!"

But the oft-scorned Cherone, an interim singer who went from the band Extreme ("More Than Words," "Hole Hearted") to Van Halen for the space of three years and one album (1998's Van Halen III), wasn't even included on Best of Van Halen, as if his era was either irrelevant or better off forgotten. Which is why it's so divisive when Spaghetti gets to the crux of his argument, drawing parallels between Cherone and Bush: "Even the most dyed-in-the-wool Van Halen fans have to admit, this was one bad idea. It didn't work, and, thankfully, we only had to put up with one record from this version of the Republican Par ... uh, I mean ... Van Halen. Gary made Van Halen so bad that Sammy Hagar returning actually seemed like a GOOD idea!"

Since sending out his missive, Spaghetti's been getting "some great hate mail," which he's posting on the band's Web site under "Hate Mail From the Campaign Trail." Some fans criticize the rock world for being too liberal, others take the rocker to task for getting political in the first place, saying that they didn't need any more celebrities telling them what to do or how to think, with comments like, "Clever analogy, but sorry, Bush will be getting my vote," "Less talk, more rock" and "Way to alienate half your fans!" One fan, Russell Gambrel, asking to be taken off the band list, signed his e-mail as "Former Suckers Fan and Member of the Party of Johnny Ramone."

Some fans argued that — based on reading Roth's autobiography, "Crazy From the Heat" — Bush actually had more in common with the original Van Halen singer. Others extended that analogy, with one saying that on the flip side, "John Kerry would be fronting a lame cover band with no original material of its own ... disco one day and polkas the next, depending on who's listening."

Not all letters were critical, though. One fan named Tasha wrote in that she is a Republican crossing party lines to vote for Kerry, and asked the webmaster to tell Spaghetti that "at least one of his fans has definitely changed her mind and won't be casting the stupidest vote of all time next Tuesday." Another wrote, "I appreciate the fact that you may alienate some of your fans who pay your bills ... For every album they would have bought, I'll buy 10."

"I definitely didn't mean to alienate," Spaghetti said of the flood of responses. "I kind of thought I'd be preaching to the choir here. Guess I was wrong and I'm glad. It's fun to see people get mad about the truth."

—Jennifer Vineyard

source:
http://www.mtv.com/chooseorlose/headlines/news.jhtml?id=1493282

Matt White
01-15-2005, 12:10 PM
DAVID LEE ROTH is closer to GEORGE WASHINGTON!!!!
Spammy hagar is like Herbert Hoover!!!
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!

INHALE TO THE CHIEF MOFOS!!!!

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 12:22 PM
That's a VERY old article :brickwall

BTW I though it was U2's part to bring politics into music

edvanheineken
01-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Old? Your point is???? It was new to me! What's on your plate MOFO? I thought it was interesting and I shared. I didn't see it anywhere on here. Now get busy and go copy it over to the Linx!

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 12:51 PM
It was posted on the links few months ago, so I won't bother.

BTW I don't have 5150 in my name, how did you figure that out :D:D:D?

FORD
01-15-2005, 01:01 PM
It was posted in the Front Line before the election, which technically makes it a duplicate thread.

As for the analogy itself, it definitely has some merit. Roth represents the best of Van Halen, just as Lincoln represents the best of the Republican party.

Hagar is a cheeseball who really accomplished nothing, but whose reputation is ridiculously over inflated by the flock of sheep who worship him. Exactly as Reagan is.

Bush and Cherone, both total fuckups? Definitely true. Maybe if Junior had fingerfucked his own ass at the GOP convention the Busheep would have woken up :(

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Well if this board is overally Anti-Bush, Sammy's RED rocker title has to be blamed for all the bashing he gets here :)

Matt White
01-15-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
Well if this board is overally Anti-Bush, Sammy's RED rocker title has to be blamed for all the bashing he gets here :)

Spammy gets bashed 'cause he SUCKS. PERIOD.

Mishar_McLeud
01-15-2005, 02:17 PM
If he would just suck, nobody would talk about him. Like if Bary Manilow suck less than Spam :D?

FORD
01-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
If he would just suck, nobody would talk about him. Like if Bary Manilow suck less than Spam :D?

Of course Barry Manilow sucks. But Barry Manilow competes in a field where all of his competition sucks as bad or worse than he does. Does it matter whether or not Barry Manilow sucks more than Air Supply or Michael Bolton? Of course not, because it's universally agreed that they ALL suck.

Hagar tries to compete with David Lee Roth, and that's what accents his true suckiness. The fact that he's a Busheep tequila salesman only adds to it.

lms2
01-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Both of their careers have gone to hell in a pushcart.

CVHfan
01-17-2005, 08:55 PM
I just laughed my ass off at this. And soooo true it is.

Matt White
01-18-2005, 10:43 AM
DAVE is MUCH more like this guy........

Snow Ho
01-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by FORD
It was posted in the Front Line before the election, which technically makes it a duplicate thread.

As for the analogy itself, it definitely has some merit. Roth represents the best of Van Halen, just as Lincoln represents the best of the Republican party.

Hagar is a cheeseball who really accomplished nothing, but whose reputation is ridiculously over inflated by the flock of sheep who worship him. Exactly as Reagan is.

Bush and Cherone, both total fuckups? Definitely true. Maybe if Junior had fingerfucked his own ass at the GOP convention the Busheep would have woken up :(

LOL doubt they would have woken up at that, just as long as he didn't try to marry some man.