Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

I love Brian Young and Daves band, but it bothers me a bit whenever Brian Young does Eddie Van Halen's eruption solo. Shouldn't some material be sacred to Van Halen's legacy, rather than cheapen DLR's setlist with a generic version of eruption?

I mean, it was great for the atomic punks coverband.

I just think it's something that shouldn't be done live onstage, unless in fact it's Eddie Van Halen doing it.

I wanna see Brian Young make original music with Dave too, while i'm on the subject. It bothers me to see so much talent wasted on cover songs, when they should be recording kick ass original music!
  • guwapo_rocker

apparently they have recorded a full albums worth of

new material, and it is up to Dave when to release it.

Dave is also planning a world tour in the near future, so

we should probably hear the new material prior to this.

(thanks Carmine and Golden Boy)

Comment

• DLR7884
      ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Dave and his band have had "full albums" worth of material since the '99 tour ended.

DLR7884
      I'm not holding my breath.
      Originally Posted by WARF:
      DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• WARF
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Maybe Dave can become the new lead singer for the hideous sun demons!

Comment

• DLR7884
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
          Because Dave pays him to play it.

DLR7884
          Originally Posted by WARF:
          DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• tomballin
            Commando
            • Dec 2004

Brian kicks Eddie's ass currently. He can play any of EVH's stuff he likes and it's OK with me. EVH is a bum and yesterday's news now. Fuck him!

Comment

• WARF
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Yeah I know Eddie's a bum...

I'm just kinds scared that the 1998 DLR Band CD will be Dave's last rock album.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

I don't think he plays "Eruption" at all WARF, close, but not that close....

Yes, it's "Eruption-esque", meaning it's in the same neighborhood, so to speak, as Eruption....

I think he plays it like that because of the general Van Halen feeling during Dave's setlist, but at the same time not a blatant attempt to play the solo note for note....

And I'm damn glad he doesn't try it.... Although I'm sure he can nail it, I've heard so many people fuck it up, I don't want to hear anyone other than Ed (with the original lineup present) play it again....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• rustoffa
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Maybe Dave can become the new lead singer for the hideous sun demons!

Comment

• rustoffa
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2004

Va nailed it.

Just a "give the people what they want" part of the show.

Comment

• Northern Girl
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Re: Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

I just think it's something that shouldn't be done live onstage, unless in fact it's Eddie Van Halen doing it.
                      Just because it's instrumental, it's a song just the same. He's not copying Ed's whole solo or anything.

On the same note, Sam should NOT be singing Dave's songs live either let alone putting that shit on BOBW IMO.
                      Same ole song and dance...

Comment

• academic punk
                        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Because dave is so drug-addled that his management has told him that he IS playing with Van Halen and he thinks that that's Eddie doing his bit.

If Young were to play anything else, dave would have an aneurysm on the spot.

Just kidding, but it is pretty lame. If I wanna hear Eruption, I can go down to my local Sam Ash and hear just about anyone there play it. For free.

Comment

• ashstralia
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                          If I wanna hear Eruption, I can go down to my local Sam Ash and hear just about anyone there play it. For free.

i just throw on vh1.
                          it's the second track.

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

BECAUSE he CAN... and these days he does so better than Ed!

Comment

• Bad Muthafucker
                              Foot Soldier
                              • Jan 2004

Re: Why does Brian Young play, "Eruption" live ?

This has been a subject of discussion since the '99 tour when Bart Walsh was playing "Eruption". People were pissed that he got up on stage and played that song note for note because they were Ed's notes. But on the other side of the coin, was/is it o.k. for Sam Hagar and Gary Cherone (during his brief tenure) to get up on stage and sing "Jump" word for word? After all, those are Dave's words, aren't they? Just like the notes in "Eruption" are Ed's because Ed wrote them, the words of "Jump" are Dave's because Dave wrote them. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Turn-about is fair play. If Ed can hire someone to sing Dave's words, then Dave can hire someone to play Ed's notes. All is fair in love and war.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...7qatW5tds&NR=1

Comment

Working...