PDA

View Full Version : Van Hagar's biggest mistake IMO.

CVHfan
01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
When Eddie, Alex and Mike teamed up with Hagar, the music sounded totally different than the first six albums with Roth. The fire was gone and the unrelenting energy that defined Classic Van Halen was totally absent. But more to the point, they were just way too different from the first six albums. And yet they insisted that they were still the same band. Fuck no. You ain't even close to the same band. That being said, I would have had more respect for Ed, Al, Mike and Sammy if they went by a different band name. At least that would have shown integrity. It would have preserved the legacy that the original Van Halen left behind. If they were going to fire Roth, they could have at least done that. What they did instead was more like a 20 year necrophilia on a band that was dead. When Rage Against The Machine broke up, they did so because their lead singer Zack De La Rocha left the band. The other three guys stayed together and then Chris Cornell joined them. Chris Cornell said that he did not want to be the next lead singer of Rage Against The Machine. And even though 3/4 of Rage was still together, they along with Cornell became Audioslave. Audioslave is a good band. However Rage was better than Audioslave. But at least Tom Morello and the boys were fine acknowledging that this band was not Rage and they would not trade on the name. Unlike Van Hagar, who insisted that this was still Van Halen and traded on that name. Personally it makes me kind of sick. Kind of like Hagar saying that VH sold more albums with him than with Roth. Bullshit. Sammy, your albums with Roth did not go Diamond. None of them did. Two of the Roth albums went diamond.

On another note, I can't wait for the new Audioslave album that comes out this year.

academic punk
01-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Valid...

... but then again if the guitarist from RATM's name was "Tom RageAgainsttheMachinestein" (rather than "morello"), I could see where he'd find it appropriate to maintain the name.

Also, are you aware the reason Roth got rid of the drummer and bass player from his Skyscraper tour was because they wanted to change the name of the band to "Bissonette"?

I shit you not.

CVHfan
01-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Valid...

... but then again if the guitarist from RATM's name was "Tom RageAgainsttheMachinestein" (rather than "morello"), I could see where he'd find it appropriate to maintain the name.

Also, are you aware the reason Roth got rid of the drummer and bass player from his Skyscraper tour was because they wanted to change the name of the band to "Bissonette"?

I shit you not.

I did not know that. That's fucked up.
But what about Tony Iommi. His name ain't Tony McSabbath.
Yet he did what Eddie did when Ozzy left and Ronnie James Dio came on board. Though I actually think that "Heaven and Hell" was a good album. But same problem.

academic punk
01-18-2005, 10:25 PM
words fail me

Mezro
01-18-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by CVHfan
His name ain't Tony McSabbath.

Tony fucking McSabbath..LOL...ROTFLMFMEZROAO!

Mezro...fuck that was funny...

CVHfan
01-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm glad you liked that. :)

Tiger Roth
01-18-2005, 10:44 PM

You are joking aren't you?

academic punk
01-18-2005, 10:45 PM
I think the biggest trangression is Dave Gilmour maintaining the Pink Floyd name.

that was clearly for the EXCLUSIVE reason of the cash cow that the franchise name brought with it.

(and if you don't believe that, look at the number of albums adn tix that a solo roger waters - the real brains and architect of Floyd)(if you avoid mentioning Syd Barret, natch) would sell, as opposed to the dave Gilmour solo projects which just happened to use the Floyd name.

p.s. i've never fucking liked that band. but i think it's the worst, most crass example of destroying the legacy and name of a mega-band out there.

academic punk
01-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Roth
You are joking aren't you?

Completely. Thank you for recognizing that. I was beginning to worry.

UGS
01-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Keeping the VH name was the SMARTEST thing Ed and Al have ever done. Like I've said before, the only reason 5150 did as well as it did was because it was riding the wave of 1984's greatness. Changing the name would have killed the momentum. Without that name, they would have lasted one album, extremely limitted comercial success.

CVHfan
01-19-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by UGS
Keeping the VH name was the SMARTEST thing Ed and Al have ever done. Like I've said before, the only reason 5150 did as well as it did was because it was riding the wave of 1984's greatness. Changing the name would have killed the momentum. Without that name, they would have lasted one album, extremely limitted comercial success.

You're right. It bought them time. 10 years to be sure. But now people are wise to the fact that Ed, Sam and Al have shit all over the legacy that is the true Van Halen and that was my point.

kcmusician
01-19-2005, 05:29 AM
I can see what you are saying, I really can.... But if I am correct, Sammy pushed to change the name because he knew it was a different band. Alex convinced Eddie that it was still infact Van Halen because they were still in the band.... I blame the drummer.... Besides, most problems in the world of VH have come from Alex.... I mean we all know he runs Eddie's life.

Shaun

kcmusician
01-19-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by UGS

Well I don't know that I agree 100%... I mean, all Van Hagar albums were number 1 and platinum.... So there was a pretty large fan base.... I know alot of that fan base was infact old VH fans, but it obviously didn't make the majority or we wouldn't have this site. lol

Shaun

BIG GOOSE
01-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician
Well I don't know that I agree 100%... I mean, all Van Hagar albums were number 1 and platinum.... So there was a pretty large fan base.... I know alot of that fan base was infact old VH fans, but it obviously didn't make the majority or we wouldn't have this site. lol

Shaun

Errr maybe in America but outside VHagar were a dead issue after '87.
In Australia it ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth baybeeeeee !!

Carmine
01-19-2005, 09:13 AM
I guess I'll sit on the fence on this one. I do agree that keeping the Van Halen name was a smart move, and that the bands success-post Dave- has been largely based on the name alone. There is some Van hagar that I have liked, largely due to Ed, but, it is NOT Van Halen! It never has been, nor will it ever be! It all falls way short of everything 1978-1984! I would have also had more respect for them had they changed the name, even to call it Van Halen with Sammy Hagar would have seperated it from the true Van Halen! It may have kept a few more Dave era fans around too...

DLR7884
01-19-2005, 10:46 AM
I think the biggest trangression is Dave Gilmour maintaining the Pink Floyd name.

Roger Waters got to keep the inflatable pigs.

When Pink Floyd toured after he left, they had to put testicles on their pigs.

DLR7884
:) Roger has laughed about that in several interviews :)

Matt White
01-19-2005, 10:56 AM
"Van Hagar's biggest mistake "?

Not going down in a plane crash prior to recording a single note with hagar. Then, they'd have some credibility & respect left.

CVHfan
01-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by kcmusician

Shaun

Well, the albums in the six-pack may not have gone to number 1 but they outsold Van Hagar at least 2 to 1. Van Halen I and 1984 both reached Diamond status. 5150 was Van Hagar's biggest seller over time and it hasn't cracked 7 million. The others are way lower. Besides, there are more Roth records to enjoy.

Mishar_McLeud
01-19-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by BIG GOOSE
Errr maybe in America but outside VHagar were a dead issue after '87.
In Australia it ain't Van Halen without David Lee Roth baybeeeeee !!
Hagar albums sold more worldwide than Roth ones. Official site numbers are for US sales. And that means nothing, some BeachBoys have probably sold more than all VH albums combined.

What about title change, with three original members in, and both bros wearing the same second name as the band title,
there was no point in altering it. If the band would've been named 'Mammoth' or 'Van Roth' or 'Diamond Van Halen' - then it would've been fair, but the fact they left the title as it was prevended me from naming two bands when asked about what my favourite one is :).

bueno bob
01-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Van Halen's biggest mistake is not firing their shit for brains drummer back in 1985.

Carmine
01-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Van Halens BIGGEST mistake to date...is for not finding some way possible to work with David Lee Roth again! We, the fans, have been denied the raw power and kick ass rock from this great band! It's been 20 damn years! There is bad blood yes, but for christ sakes, your ALL 50+, act like adults and get it done already!

...Sorry, had to vent!

bueno bob
01-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
Van Halens BIGGEST mistake to date...is for not finding some way possible to work with David Lee Roth again! We, the fans, have been denied the raw power and kick ass rock from this great band! It's been 20 damn years! There is bad blood yes, but for christ sakes, your ALL 50+, act like adults and get it done already!

...Sorry, had to vent!

All good, bro, we all gotta do it from time to time...

bueno bob
01-19-2005, 12:31 PM
GIT 'ER DUN!

Carmine
01-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by bueno bob
All good, bro, we all gotta do it from time to time...

thanks for understanding!:(

academic punk
01-19-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Roger Waters got to keep the inflatable pigs.

When Pink Floyd toured after he left, they had to put testicles on their pigs.

DLR7884
:) Roger has laughed about that in several interviews :)

I remember that! and yes, it was pretty fucking funny.

RogueHorseman
01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
Hagar albums sold more worldwide than Roth ones...

That is complete, total and utter BULLSHIT.

Don't think you can pull stuff like that out of your ass here and get away with it, because you can't, because it isn't remotely true.

Matt White
01-19-2005, 01:39 PM
He's new here RH. It might take a while to de-program him. Good guy though.
Billboard and MANY other publications have documented the fact that DAVE ERA VAN HALEN has outsold van hagar by a 3 to 1 ratio. Van HAlen 1 & 1984 have both sold 10 million+. DAVE wins hands down.

RogueHorseman
01-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Matt White
Billboard and MANY other publications have documented the fact that DAVE ERA VAN HALEN has outsold van hagar by a 3 to 1 ratio. Van HAlen 1 & 1984 have both sold 10 million+. DAVE wins hands down.

Zackly factly.

ThrillsNSpills
01-19-2005, 01:55 PM
The picture of Dave as superman is a classic.
Maybe his next album cover.

Carmine
01-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills

I was just thinking the same thing! Change the hair color though.

Matt White
01-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
Maybe his next album cover.

Aw shucks! Tanx!

Matt White
01-19-2005, 02:08 PM
How's that?!?!
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Kinda spooky!

Carmine
01-19-2005, 02:14 PM
How's that?!?!
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Kinda spooky!

LMAO....looks like Pippi Longstockin on good weed!

academic punk
01-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
LMAO....looks like Pippi Longstockin on good weed!

hahahahahahahahaha

actually, dave as thr silver surfer might be more apropos

BIG GOOSE
01-20-2005, 02:50 AM
Hagar albums sold more worldwide than Roth ones. Official site numbers are for US sales. :).

I very much doubt that !!
Van Hagar have been a dead issue here since the late 80s.The ONLY airplay is Van Halen NOT Van Hagar.Van Hagar were so fucking popular in Europe by '95 they were reduced to opening for Bon fucking Jovi (never woulda happened in the Dave era)and dying as I recall reading an extract of a Spam book on the very righteous web site you are now reading.I recall reading an online interview with Spam claiming VHagar wanted to come to Oz....no promoters were that fucking stupid,they woulda beeen left standing in their fucking hairshirts like the majority of the U.S counterparts.

DLR7884
01-20-2005, 10:37 AM
Hagar albums sold more worldwide than Roth ones. Official site numbers are for US sales. And that means nothing, some BeachBoys have probably sold more than all VH albums combined

Prove it, you piece of eurotrash.

DLR7884
Prove it, or shut your dickgarage.

Mishar_McLeud
01-20-2005, 11:28 AM
I'll have to run some system doctors from time to time... Hagar sucks Hagar suck... What's GOING ON with me??? http://www.freepgs.com/mishar/misc/wtf.gif

http://www.freepgs.com/mishar/misc/sssh.gifhttp://www.freepgs.com/mishar/misc/thumb.gif

And back to the topic, Michael Jackson's Thriller sold more than VH1 and 1984 combined, does that make him come even close to Van Halen?

Mishar_McLeud
01-20-2005, 11:30 AM
^^ Wow, some really bored guy :)

DLR7884
01-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
Prove it, you piece of eurotrash.

DLR7884
Prove it, or shut your dickgarage.

Mishar_McLeud
01-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Quoting yourself is like a masturbation dude :D

DLR7884
01-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Quoting yourself is like a masturbation dude :D

?

DLR7884
PROVE YOUR BULLSHIT STATEMENT.

RogueHorseman
01-20-2005, 12:29 PM
...Michael Jackson's Thriller sold more than VH1 and 1984 combined, does that make him come even close to Van Halen?

Yep, it sure does. Total sales worldwide, in millions, below.

Keep in mind, this chart was done last year... so, you'll have to add in the sub-gold 423,000 units BOBW featuring the three new sammy shits has actually SOLD.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha !!

The 50m VH figures represent an almost 3:1 sales ratio in favor of Mr. Roth over Hagar.

------------------------

BEATLES, THE

PRESLEY, ELVIS

LED ZEPPELIN

BROOKS, GARTH

EAGLES

JOEL, BILLY

PINK FLOYD

STREISAND, BARBRA

JOHN, ELTON

AEROSMITH

ROLLING STONES, THE

AC/DC

SPRINGSTEEN, BRUCE

MADONNA

JACKSON, MICHAEL

METALLICA

CAREY, MARIAH

STRAIT, GEORGE

HOUSTON, WHITNEY

VAN HALEN

ROGERS, KENNY

DIAMOND, NEIL

FLEETWOOD MAC

U2

KENNY G

ALABAMA

DION, CELINE

SANTANA

TWAIN, SHANIA

JOURNEY

NELSON, WILLIE

CLAPTON, ERIC

SIMON & GARFUNKEL

CHICAGO

SEGER, BOB/SILVER BULLET BAND

2 PAC

MC ENTIRE, REBA

PRINCE

FOREIGNER

BACKSTREET BOYS

GUNS 'N ROSES

JACKSON, ALAN

DYLAN, BOB

BON JOVI

DENVER, JOHN

STEWART, ROD

DEF LEPPARD

COLLINS, PHIL

RONSTADT, LINDA

BOSTON

TAYLOR, JAMES

QUEEN

DOORS, THE

MATTHEWS, DAVE BAND

PEARL JAM

DIXIE CHICKS

PETTY, TOM & THE HEARTBREAKERS

SPEARS, BRITNEY

'N SYNC

BOLTON, MICHAEL

KELLY, R.

OSBOURNE, OZZY

BOYZ II MEN

MELLENCAMP, JOHN

BEE GEES

SINATRA, FRANK

LYNYRD SKYNYRD

ZZ TOP

MC CARTNEY, PAUL

RUSH

JACKSON, JANET

MILLER, STEVE BAND

MANILOW, BARRY

NIRVANA

CARPENTERS, THE

CARS, THE

BROOKS & DUNN

CREED

EARTH, WIND & FIRE

HILL, FAITH

GILL, VINCE

VANDROSS, LUTHER

MANNHEIM STEAMROLLER

MOTLEY CRUE

SADE

ESTEFAN, GLORIA

MC GRAW, TIM

TLC

ENYA

POLICE, THE

DOOBIE BROTHERS

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL

R.E.O. SPEEDWAGON

GENESIS

EMINEM

RICHIE, LIONEL

BEASTIE BOYS

MEAT LOAF

BUFFETT, JIMMY

HEART

MORISSETTE, ALANIS

HENDRIX, JIMI

HOOTIE & THE BLOWFISH

BEACH BOYS, THE

WHO, THE

JAY-Z

Carmine
01-20-2005, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RogueHorseman
[B]
VAN HALEN

ROGERS, KENNY

Damn! Tied with "The Gambler"....I will admit, that my VH collection outnumbers my Kenny Rogers ( I do own his greatest hits) .......greatly!

So What....I like that duet with Sheena Easton! :D

Mishar_McLeud
01-20-2005, 01:39 PM
RH, I'm sure Van Halen sold 75 millions worldwide (http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/aboutACC.php?level=4&articleID=67).

RogueHorseman
01-20-2005, 01:51 PM
>>>>

RogueHorseman
01-20-2005, 01:52 PM
I know I always believe "rounded up" figures in fluff-puff pieces over actual, cold, hard statistical data!

Especially, if moi penned said fluff-puff piece.

:rolleyes:

Clue:

Hulk Hogan didn't really have 24" arms and Susan Dey can't play one single note on a Hammond® organ (set-up for "she can play my organ anytime" joke).

DLR7884
01-20-2005, 02:17 PM
RH, I'm sure Van Halen sold 75 millions worldwide (http://www.theaircanadacentre.com/aboutACC.php?level=4&articleID=67).

The link you sent is obviously a press release from the band to promote their tour.

DLR7884
TO SELL TICKETS.