PDA

View Full Version : Dave EMT - Just A Publicity Stunt?

tomballin
01-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Point

Ok, probably going to catch some shite on this one, but here goes.

I think that Dave doing this EMT “meat wagon” gig, is just a “good guy/public image” PR stunt on Dave’s part, while the Sisters puked all over themselves and their fan base, while getting rich on the 04 Van SpamBoy abortion Tour.

I’m sure I’m wrong, but it doesn’t add up. Also you have to remember that Dave’s a genius and always doing “weird angle deals”. The guy thrives on it.

I just don’t see Dave, with his very particular Jewish blood, wanting to go out and get blood and guts all over him doing the “meat wagon” gig, or ER EMT support gig. And, be exposed to all the germs, bacteria, and disease from strangers. I mean the guy is real particular about stuff like this, like Donald Trump is.

I guess I thought about it after reading in the NY Post of this women in NYC shooting herself in the pussy with a shotgun,………along with seeing Dave again New Years in Orlando. I thought, no way this EMT deal is Dave’s kinda of gig. Shiteeee! You have to be damn tough/hardened to handle stuff like that as a meat wagon EMT, or ER EMT. Just don’t see it in Diamond.

I can see Dave’s genius mind, sitting back and thinking, Alright, what can I come up with to get my name in the press during the VanSpam Boys Tour, that is really different, really unusual, and will get the public’s attention, without having any connection to VH, or having some negative vibe like the worthless Sisters put out to the media

After a fat joint, and digging around in his mind for a while, bingo “I’m be an EMT, and use the family MD connection as the “glue” in the deal.”

I say, it’s all part of Dave’s “I don’t need the Sisters, they need me….I’m the good guy that keeps getting ass fucked by the Sisters, just like VH fans” (84, 96, 00, 04)……2004-2005 Public Image Campaign.

Let’s recap Dave’s 2004:

1…The EMT deal;

2…The Boston Pops deal - (I read Steven Tyler gave Diamond that gig as part of some “inside friend deal, and it was a massive success for Dave and new biz contacts”);

3…Dave permanently leaves L.A. to continue hanging out in New York with the “Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous”, Robin Leach crowd;

3a..A substantial 2004 increase in main stream PR pics/articles of Dave attending and performing at these “fat cat” parties and events. (Almost every month of 2004 Dave was in the mainstream and/or “fat cat” media)

4…Dave continues to be quite wealthy, (gets more frugal every year, lol);

5…Dave has clearly laid off talking about VH and the Sisters in the main stream press, AND

6…Dave has clearly gotten more serious about putting on a good stage show in the last 6 months.

Also, no question in my mind, Dave will do a 05 Tour. It’s part of his big masterplan, imo.

What does everyone else think about all this?

tomballin
01-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Ok, here’s the CounterPoint

Maybe Diamond is for real as an EMT.

Nov-Dec 04 EMS Forum Board on DLR being an EMT:

I heard that Diamond David Lee Roth (ex Van Halen) past his EMT Boards
-------
Yes he did, you heard right ….NY EMT at that, tough duty!
-------
I read an article on Firehouse.com that said he is out working, been out on a little over 200 calls, he has cut his hair, and none of his patients have reckognized him. His instructor said he is one of the best students she has had.
-------
It's true. I know some people who have run with him in Brooklyn. They say he's pretty good. I haven't seen him yet, and even if I did, I would respect his privacy.
-------
I think it's great! More power to him and good luck!
-------
I think it's great, shows that any one can follow what they want to do if they put their heart into it. That you're not always stuck in one place
-------
As a preEMS student, I just wanted to add my 2 cents and say that I think it's fantastic that he has chosen to become an EMT...
-------
Well at least we aren't talking about SLASH from Guns N Roses (baawaaaaa, hell EVH is even worse…TB)
------
What could be any possible negative reasons for him doing this? I can't see any.

He will see and understand what it is we do every day, he will see the highs and the lows, the good the bad and the ugly. We potentially have a spokesperson that can speak for us on an international stage that people recognize.

What have we had in the past? John Goodman and Nicholas Cage in Bringing out the Dead? Both were exposed to what we do but didn't get their hands dirty and do the training and have to actually treat a patient. Did they have to extricate a patient covered in 3 days of urine and feces from a 4 story walk up?

I bet he is being ridden twice as hard as any of us were to have to prove himself because we like to eat our own in this industry. Why would he be any different? I respect him for doing this because it seems to me to be for some personal reason, not to gain glory or to improve his popularity.
------
If Mr. Roth likes this kind of work, than by all means - go for it. I wish him well. I would let him ride with me. Everybody deserves a chance.
-----
Could this possibly give EMS/EMTs/Paramedics, some good publicity????
-----
possibly, unless he messes up.. even a little as everyone's eyes will be on him, expecting so much....
----

lms2
01-20-2005, 01:40 AM
I think Dave wanted a change of pace...

So what if he is an attention whore? There are worse things he could do.

I don't think was ever intended to be a permanent plan of action, and I don't believe Dave ever portrayed it as such.

tomballin
01-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by lms2
I think Dave wanted a change of pace...

So what if he is an attention whore? There are worse things he could do.

I don't think was ever intended to be a permanent plan of action, and I don't believe Dave ever portrayed it as such.

I would be the last person to give Diamond any serious shite. Just sitting back reflecting on 04 and looking at 05-06, and where Diamond is driving the party bus.

The EMT deal always bugged me, as to not making sense. So I thought I would throw it on the meat plater, and see what others think.

Also, let me say, I was REALLY impressed with Dave in Orlando. What impressed me the most is he was not up their jumping around like some asshole, (Like Hagar/EVH in the SpamBoy’s Tour I went to (to see EVH one last time, NOT Hagar) trying to impress the youth audience.

Dave was really relaxed, worked the crowd in true Diamond form, and just put on a great straight-forward show. I liked him much better in Orlando, than when I saw him in 02 on the DLR-Spammy Tour. In 02 Dave was trying too hard on stage to impress the audience, and still living in the past, imo.

lms2
01-20-2005, 02:04 AM
Diamond driving the party bus....

destination unknown... but its gonna be a wild ride!

golden boy
01-20-2005, 02:10 AM
Daves father died and it shook him up. He is giving back and he used to work in a hospital when he was unger. When his dad died he was singing songs to him in the hospital and he probably looked around when he was hanging there. Don't doubt this, I know it for a fact.

twonabomber
01-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by tomballin

The EMT deal always bugged me, as to not making sense.

that's the thing...as long as it makes sense to Dave...it doesn't have to make sense to us. :D

lms2
01-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by twonabomber
that's the thing...as long as it makes sense to Dave...it doesn't have to make sense to us. :D

And thats a good thing cause chances are it won't!

vanzilla
01-20-2005, 02:35 AM
I don't think he's doing it for publicity. The article in the NY Post stated that he's turned down several interview request from national media outlets, even one from DATELINE, in order to keep the EMT thing low profile. In my opinion, Dave is doing it for the right reasons. If he wasn't, he'd be on the news more than the water skiing squirrel trying to cash in on the pub. Besides, I think after the 2002 Dave and Sam Tour - he's not willing to dive into any publicity stunts.

Personally, I think part of the reason Diamond is doing it is because of the adrenaline rush. But first and foremost, his late father was in the medical profession, and I think Dave may be doing his part to pay tribute to his dad by giving back to the community. His father probably touched a lot of people's lives through his profession, just like Dave has through his music. I believe this is DLR's way of making his Dad proud one last time, even though I'm sure Mr. Roth was already proud of everything his son has accomplished.

Halen High
01-20-2005, 11:57 PM
10 years ago I might have thought, yeah, there's an element of the publicity stunt in this. Not now.

After reading Dave's book and many interviews in recent years I just think he likes to seek adventure, live on the edge and test himself in all kinds of environments. It's also giving him a break from the music biz for a while and he's gotta be gettin some great material for some new tunes!

And after all that, yeah, the publicity doesn't hurt either.

house0paincakes
01-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Dave was studying in the field of medicine before VH got a record deal. His dad was a doctor, so it makes sense to me that he is seriously doing the EMT gig. Read CFTH, man.
Not to the job would be one hell of an adventure.

tomballin
01-21-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by golden boy
Daves father died and it shook him up. He is giving back and he used to work in a hospital when he was unger. When his dad died he was singing songs to him in the hospital and he probably looked around when he was hanging there. Don't doubt this, I know it for a fact.

Yelp, good post dude!.......

and Dave is still real raw, EVH did not attend his father’s funeral.

Eddie Van Halen can rot in hell, in my book, for not attending Nathan's funeral. There wouldn't be a Van Halen without him, (helped finance the band until VH finally started making money) and also Nathan was the one that helped EVH find the doctors to fight his cancer.

What a POS that wouldn't attend the man's funeral. Shite, you just cannot get any lower than that bum.

tomballin
01-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Dave's dad was an eye doctor, (ophthalmologist)

Not quite as hardcore as working on a meat wagon in New York City, but Diamond has always been an extremist.

Originally posted by vanzilla
I don't think he's doing it for publicity. The article in the NY Post stated that he's turned down several interview request from national media outlets, even one from DATELINE, in order to keep the EMT thing low profile. In my opinion, Dave is doing it for the right reasons. If he wasn't, he'd be on the news more than the water skiing squirrel trying to cash in on the pub. Besides, I think after the 2002 Dave and Sam Tour - he's not willing to dive into any publicity stunts.

Personally, I think part of the reason Diamond is doing it is because of the adrenaline rush. But first and foremost, his late father was in the medical profession, and I think Dave may be doing his part to pay tribute to his dad by giving back to the community. His father probably touched a lot of people's lives through his profession, just like Dave has through his music. I believe this is DLR's way of making his Dad proud one last time, even though I'm sure Mr. Roth was already proud of everything his son has accomplished.

tydhurst
01-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Shut up!

academic punk
01-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Dave worked in a hospital before VH took off. In Crazy From the Heat, and from several interviews, he said the group he ran with were the ones who would carry somone's blown off leg to the freezer.

Also, that he was not allowed to walk in the main corridors, because iif a patient who was going in and under for life-risking surgery, and they saw him (or any meber of his team) it would cause real fear, because that was an indication that somehting needed being taken care of STAT.

He mentions taking cigarette breaks with his arms covered in somone's blood up to his triceps.

So a) he's not too much of a "germ-phobic" to do this gig, and b) he's had experience in the field.

He has had some real opporuntities to publicize all this, but to a large extent he hasn't, aside from a perfunctory appearance in the NY Post. So he's accepted far less publicity for this than if you or I were to do the same in his position.

This all leads to one simple conclusion: It's real.

tydhurst
01-23-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Dave worked in a hospital before VH took off. In Crazy From the Heat, and from several interviews, he said the group he ran with were the ones who would carry somone's blown off leg to the freezer.

Also, that he was not allowed to walk in the main corridors, because iif a patient who was going in and under for life-risking surgery, and they saw him (or any meber of his team) it would cause real fear, because that was an indication that somehting needed being taken care of STAT.

He mentions taking cigarette breaks with his arms covered in somone's blood up to his triceps.

So a) he's not too much of a "germ-phobic" to do this gig, and b) he's had experience in the field.

He has had some real opporuntities to publicize all this, but to a large extent he hasn't, aside from a perfunctory appearance in the NY Post. So he's accepted far less publicity for this than if you or I were to do the same in his position.

This all leads to one simple conclusion: It's real.

I like it when people have real arguments.

academic punk
01-23-2005, 11:13 PM
don't ya?

lms2
01-23-2005, 11:43 PM
There is a difference between "real" and "permanent".

Dave "really" climbed a few mountains in his day, but he doesn't live on top of them. :D

And as for the publicity... Sure Dave could have done 100 interviews on the matter, but after the first one, its old news. I think Dave has always selectively sold himself.

tobinentinc
01-23-2005, 11:49 PM
I didn't think about the whole publicity stunt thing, but it's a great idea. We all know Dave's a genius so this might have jump started his career. Let's all hope. Roth Rules!