• Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Sen. Clinton urges use of faith-based initiatives

Sen. Clinton urges use of faith-based initiatives
    By Michael Jonas, Globe Correspondent | January 20, 2005

On the eve of the presidential inauguration, US Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton last night embraced an issue some pundits say helped seal a second term for George W. Bush: acceptance of the role of faith in addressing social ills.

In a speech at a fund-raising dinner for a Boston-based organization that promotes faith-based solutions to social problems, Clinton said there has been a "false division" between faith-based approaches to social problems and respect for the separation of church of state.

"There is no contradiction between support for faith-based initiatives and upholding our constitutional principles," said Clinton, a New York Democrat who often is mentioned as a possible presidential candidate in 2008.

Addressing a crowd of more than 500, including many religious leaders, at Boston's Fairmont Copley Plaza, Clinton invoked God more than half a dozen times, at one point declaring, "I've always been a praying person."

She said there must be room for religious people to "live out their faith in the public square."

The issue of faith in politics has been at the center of debate following the presidential election, with some arguing that Bush's strong identification with religious values was a key to his victory over Senator John F. Kerry.

The dinner was a fund-raiser for the National TenPoint Leadership Foundation and the Dorchester-based Ella J. Baker House. Both youth outreach programs are directed by the Rev. Eugene F. Rivers 3d, a leader of the clergy-based efforts to stem youth violence in Boston in the 1990s that has become a national model for community-police partnerships.

The minister has often criticized established black leaders and liberal politicians, saying they have failed to deal honestly with the problems of youth violence.

Rivers said he hoped Clinton's appearance last night would build broader support for an issue on which some Democrats have been skittish.

"She is in a position to articulate a progressive vision around this issue of faith and values," Rivers said.

"The Clintons, on faith-based solutions, have always been way ahead of the curve," said Rivers, citing President Clinton's support of a 1996 law banning the federal government from discriminating against religious organizations seeking funding available to groups delivering social services.

In her speech, Clinton praised the efforts of Rivers and others working to curb youth violence, saying those of faith are often most willing to walk the streets of the country's most dangerous neighborhoods to try to reach young people. Where others "see trouble," she said, Rivers and faith-based soldiers "see God's work right in front of them."

Although the senator has insisted that she is focused only on her work in the Senate and constituents in New York (she faces reelection in 2006), talk of another Clinton seeking the White House seems to be a topic of speculation wherever she goes.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino got the ball rolling with his introduction of Clinton last night, calling her "the first first lady to be a US senator and maybe the first woman to be something else."

"I don't know who the right person will be in 2008, but Hillary is certainly one of the most compelling political figures on the horizon," said Alan Solomont, the former finance chairman of the Democratic National Committee, who attended last night's event. '

Clinton wasn't the only would-be candidate generating buzz at the dinner. Seated prominently at the head table was Deval Patrick, a former assistant attorney general in the Clinton administration who said last week that he is considering a run for Massachusetts governor in 2006.

"I'm interested and I'm exploring," said Patrick last night. "I'm trying to cast a wide net and talk to a lot of people."

The 48-year-old black attorney from Milton said he will decide in the next several months whether to seek the Democratic nomination for the state's highest office. Patrick, who was in charge of the Justice Department's civil rights division from 1994 to 1997, left his position last month as chief legal counsel to Coca-Cola Co., where he worked for nearly four years.The event was billed as the Ella J. Baker Awards Dinner, and four leaders were honored for supporting the youth outreach efforts of the Baker House.

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Hahaha...

Listen to this attention whore try to adopt a George Bush like agenda!

Give us a break!

When Mrs. Clinton becomes the liberal candidate for 2008 (and she will), we will run Condi, and we will win!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
      Hahaha...

Give us a break!

When Mrs. Clinton becomes the liberal candidate for 2008 (and she will), we will run Condi, and we will win!

Maybe you need help with your reading comprehension Elvis, the CLINTON's supported the faith based protections in 96.'

Just 'cause they are not evangelical pseudo-Christian phonies, well, here's a picture of your heroes of America:

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

Whatever man...

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I have no problems with Faith Based organizations working in partnership with government agencies, when done appropriately. Habitat for Humanity and the Salvation Army are just two examples of such organizations who have done well.

What I have a problem with is right wing reactionaries such as the BCE determining who is and who is not a worthy faith based organization, based on their warped neocon fascist ideology, and the attempt to gut government programs entirely to shift them into churches. That is NOT what the relationship between the government and religious based orgnaizations should be.

Also I think the tax exempt status of religious organizations needs to be re-evaluated. If a church is deliberately campaigning for political candidates, then they should pay taxes, as that does NOT fall under the category of "the Lord's work"
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD
            If a church is deliberately campaigning for political candidates, then they should pay taxes.

Example ??

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Example ??
              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Comment

• Satan
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2004

Example ??

Just to name a few...... but by extention, it's safe to add the large and profitable church/corporations whom the above represent. Southern Baptists and Pentecostals, to be exact.
                  Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                  I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

I wouldn't include John Hagee...

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jul 2004

Hahaha...

Give us a break!

You're an Idiot
                      Originally posted by Kristy
                      Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                      Originally posted by cadaverdog
                      I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

No...

You da IDIOT!

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

No...

You da IDIOT!
                          Fuck.

My mistake.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                            Fuck.

My mistake.
                            Go Ahead Suck his balls you know you want to........:p
                            Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jesterstar
                              Go Ahead Suck his balls you know you want to........:p
                              Seriously, aren't there message boards DEDICATED to ignorant, homosexually oppressed, alcoholic retards where you can hang out and BE WITH YOUR PEOPLE.?

Get a job, a life, an education, a blow job from Joe Thunder, shit just get SOMETHING in your life other than your male on make sexual fantasies IN HERE.

fucking dolt.

Comment

Working...