X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob_R
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Intel or AMD?

Do you guys have a preference over which chip is in your computer? Or, it just doesn't matter?

Which is better in your opinions?

I understand AMD has made great strides.

Yes or No?

Thanks.
    Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!
  • freak
    Sniper
    • May 2004

I prefer AMD FWIW.

I build workstations and servers and have found that the AMD ones tend to fare a lot better in the field.

If you are a hard core gamer or do a lot of video editing , you'll probably do better with a high-end Intel due to the greater memory bandwidth.

Foe general all-around use though, you definitely get more bang for your buck with AMD.

Comment

• Flash Bastard

Intel is a sad joke. I wouldn't wipe my ass with them.

AMD is light years ahead.

Of all the computers I've built over the last 5 years, none of the AMD equipped systems presented a single processor-related problem, however half of the Intel equipped ones went 'tits up' within 3 months.

Comment

• Denny
        Banned
        • Oct 2004

Re: Intel or AMD?

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC
        Do you guys have a preference over which chip is in your computer? Or, it just doesn't matter?

Yes or No?

Thanks.

Intel, Intel, Intel.

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Yeah right, like you would know, or even have a choice...

BTW, is "tits up" good or bad ??

Comment

• Flash Bastard

Originally posted by ELVIS

BTW, is "tits up" good or bad ??
            In this case, it's very bad.

Comment

• ELVIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2003

Well, In all honesty, tits up sounds good...

Comment

• tomballin
                Commando
                • Dec 2004

I've got AMD and Intel boxes both, and service both.

Intel has less compatability problems than AMD because of some Intel patents that AMD has to work around.

However, I agree with the above post, currently AMD is a better product, and cost a lot less than Intel. Intel's living off their high priced name, imo.

Comment

• guwapo_rocker

AMD rocks!!

Comment

• FORD
                    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I've been using AMD processors ever since the Intel Pentium III "spyware" controversy, and I've never been sorry for doing so.

I've never had any compatibility issues, whether running any version of Windows, or any distribution of Linux.

Thank God Cyrix went out of business though. Now THAT was a piece of shit processor!
                    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• freak
                      Sniper
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                      Thank God Cyrix went out of business though. Now THAT was a piece of shit processor!
                      Only one processor was worse, and that was the Nec 8086 clone.

Everyone of those I built up either died or could not adequately run Lotus 123.

Pure crap.

Comment

• Denny
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                        I've been using AMD processors ever since the Intel Pentium III "spyware" controversy, and I've never been sorry for doing so.

I've never had any compatibility issues, whether running any version of Windows, or any distribution of Linux.

You have AMD systems because you know how to properly build them and configure them. I will only use Intel processors mainly because there are very little problems with them.

AMD as you will know are very prone to Overheat and when the Overheat they aren't stable.

With Intels you can overclock them and they will still be stable without a crazy cooling system.

There are also alot of really crappy, cheap motheroards on the market for AMD which doesn't help things either.

Quite honestly though, It all comes down to personal preference.

Intels are generally better for Multimedia and Video Editing than AMD.

Comment

• Denny
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by freak
                          Only one processor was worse, and that was the Nec 8086 clone.

Everyone of those I built up either died or could not adequately run Lotus 123.

Pure crap.
                          Lotus 123!!!!!! Ancient History.....

Comment

• Denny
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2004

Re: Intel or AMD?

Originally posted by EVH FANATIC

Yes or No?

Thanks.
                            It just isn't about the processor you have, a big part of how good a processor will perform is down to what Motherboard you have and what Chipset is on it and also what BIOS is on the Motherboard.

The Type of RAM is a BIG CONSIDERATION too and is what Operating System you use.

Windows XP Home or Professional for instance is a piece of fucking garbage......

Windows 95, 98 and 98SE and Millenium are very outdated now.....

The only option if you are going to Use Microsofts Operation System is Windows 2000 Professional.

However, Windows are releasing a New O/S called "Longhorn" which is meant to be released later on this year or in early 2006.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Only an idiot would run ANY processor today without an adequate cooling fan & heat sink. The fact that these things are now numbered in gigahertz mean that they are doing millions of instructions per second. Try doing that, and see if you don't get warm really fast

Any processor that overheats will shut down. And the more recent ones won't even boot in the first place if they sense a cooling system isn't operational.

That's one of my concerns about the new Mac Mini, actually. Sure the tiny case is convenient in the fact that it doesn't take up much room. But how the fuck do you keep the thing cool?

As for Windows Longhorn, I'm not too optimistic. I liked XP at first because it seemed to run faster than Win 2K especially with extra memory. (1 gig in my primary PC) But it seems that all the patches to plug the numerous security holes in XP have totally made the thing sluggish. I tried 2 of the earlier betas of Longhorn and I just wasn't impressed. I'll give it another shot when it gets to the RC stage, but I'm not holding my breath.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...