PDA

View Full Version : 1984 quotes

Big Troubles
01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
Interesting Quotes

Edward on doing the solo for Michael Jackson's "Beat it" for free: "I didn't care, I did it as a favor....Maybe Michael will give me dance lessons some day"

Dave looked at it differently: "He didn't get paid for it, I know how that experience would affect ME, but you'd have to ask Edward, because we don't think alike at all. But that's what makes the band so popular."

On any dissention in the band: What Eddie and I do, is argue. We come from different backgrounds, musically, philisophically, socially....I have trouble understanding, more often than not, why he does what he does. There are meeting grounds of course. But on the musical end, there is no meeting ground. We're arguing. Somehow we reach a comprimise. No one is ever happy except the public."

On the "pop" sound of 1984: "Different instruments? Sure. Same heat too. Same pressure in the tires, same velocity. It is merely a function of growth- the natural changes that come with time. I think what we sound like now, collectively, individually, is different from five years ago and worlds apart from ten years ago. There's no reason to think this will wear out unless you plan on NOT CHANGING. If I were to think, to myself 'Oh Im gonna look like this, dance like this and sing like this when Im sixty' you're only fooling yourself. Or maybe, he added, laughing, "I'll be in Las Vegas fooling a thousand people a night".

MAX
01-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I wish I had a scanner cos I was going through boxes of crap in my storage unit, I found an old People magazine from 1984 and it had a negative review of 1984. Like I said, a bullshit review but still a fun read since it was right when the album was first released.

Big Troubles
01-22-2005, 08:23 PM
true enough. At the time, 1984, was, at first listen, a let down for most VH fans. DD was a "downer" for most, and Im sure everyone wanted something "heavy" like their earlier work. I thought Dave quoting on that very subject was pretty neat. And his Vegas reference. He was predicting his future, 20 years in. ;) Cool.

MAX
01-22-2005, 08:26 PM
It's funny cos DD was the first Halen album I ever purchased and that was when it was first released in '82. I heard Intruder/(Oh) Pretty Woman on the radio and became hooked for life. I rode my Kuahara dirt bike right down to the record store and bought it. :D

light 'em up!
01-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Most reviews of 84 were excellent at the time, which was surprising. The keyboard thing was a gutsy move. DD was definitely a letdown to most, mainly because of all the covers.

Big Troubles
01-22-2005, 08:29 PM
cool. I have a fondness for DD too. memories click with that album. My first VH was the actual first VH. But that was by luck. I was annoying my sister, and to get me to go away, she gave me her VH1 album and told me to play it loud over and over again. (I guess she thought "ha ha, that'll teach him") I was hooked on VH in 79 at the age of 8. Been Van halenised ever since.

MAX
01-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I hear you. The second album I bought was "Van Halen" and I played RWTD to death. lol.

Big Troubles
01-22-2005, 08:36 PM
i still do. I dont know about anyone else, but Im 34 and all I really play is CVH. Is that normal? lol When I make a mixed CD, I throw in AT LEAST 5 or 6 CVH songs. My buddy hates it. My wife tolerates it. My daughter doesn't care either way, but my son LOVES IT. He loves Dave, which is cool for me. I bought him the 6 pack and the best off. he has allt he vids now. He just turned 9 in Dec.

MAX
01-22-2005, 08:41 PM
I still have to hear something by Dave every single day or it's not normal. lol.

stringfelowhawk
01-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Oddly enough I hear Van Halen at least once a day even when I don't play it myself. It comes on the radio here constantly. I have just over 500 cd's in two cases that weigh 30 lbs collectively (I also have all the liner notes etc in the cases). I got tired of carrying them to work cause they were such a hassle even though I constantly have people who want to burn some or ask me to do it for em. I thought I would be slick and buy me an mp3 player with enough storage to download all of them to so I could just buy some speakers and use it which only weighs a pound and a half. Of course, just as I was finishing the downloads to it we had a meeting at work that restricted all laptops, pda's, cell phones, portable key drives, small college tape recorders, etc. for security concerns. Which is valid since I do work on classified equipment but thats my luck. Spend $350 for something I may use on average three times a week for less than 2 hours each time when I'm at the gym. Did come in handy on the flights to and from FLA. though. So had to download all those cd's onto mp3 cd's which hold on average 8 to 10 albums per. That cut down the number I carry by 460 cd's. Anyways, I have all the Dave solo and CVH cd's in one folder and they all fit on two mp3 cd's. They follow me to work religiously.

Big Troubles
01-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by stringfelowhawk
Oddly enough I hear Van Halen at least once a day even when I don't play it myself. It comes on the radio here constantly. I have just over 500 cd's in two cases that weigh 30 lbs collectively (I also have all the liner notes etc in the cases). I got tired of carrying them to work cause they were such a hassle even though I constantly have people who want to burn some or ask me to do it for em. I thought I would be slick and buy me an mp3 player with enough storage to download all of them to so I could just buy some speakers and use it which only weighs a pound and a half. Of course, just as I was finishing the downloads to it we had a meeting at work that restricted all laptops, pda's, cell phones, portable key drives, small college tape recorders, etc. for security concerns. Which is valid since I do work on classified equipment but thats my luck. Spend $350 for something I may use on average three times a week for less than 2 hours each time when I'm at the gym. Did come in handy on the flights to and from FLA. though. So had to download all those cd's onto mp3 cd's which hold on average 8 to 10 albums per. That cut down the number I carry by 460 cd's. Anyways, I have all the Dave solo and CVH cd's in one folder and they all fit on two mp3 cd's. They follow me to work religiously.

This is a David Lee Halen fan indeed!

Nice to meet you!

Big Troubles
01-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Radio Birdman
Musician.
The
Oddest
Couple:
Can It
Last?

No 68 June 1984.

Look at you... Nice work! ;)

Big Troubles
01-23-2005, 10:32 AM
"Do not leave Van Halen records unattended on your bed, because a couple of songs are liable to jump out and hide under your pillow, and when you go to sleep at night, they'll tie you up with your socks and rape you" - David Lee Roth 1984

Think the newer VH songs have that same effect?

Calderone
01-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
i still do. I dont know about anyone else, but Im 34 and all I really play is CVH. Is that normal? lol When I make a mixed CD, I throw in AT LEAST 5 or 6 CVH songs. My buddy hates it. My wife tolerates it. My daughter doesn't care either way, but my son LOVES IT. He loves Dave, which is cool for me. I bought him the 6 pack and the best off. he has allt he vids now. He just turned 9 in Dec.
You are CVanhalenizing your little son !!!!
That was very very nice to read !
Dave gettin' to the future generations ...show him the Interviews
he will learn and will have a lot of success if he learn to speak like Dave

Big Troubles
01-24-2005, 02:43 PM
That was the plan all along. Make sure Dave lives on... thru my son. He was upset that I didn't take him to Rama to see him. Wife came instead. Plus you had to be 18. :(

DlocRoth
01-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by MAX
It's funny cos DD was the first Halen album I ever purchased and that was when it was first released in '82. I heard Intruder/(Oh) Pretty Woman on the radio and became hooked for life. I rode my Kuahara dirt bike right down to the record store and bought it. :D

This is the key.

DD was also my first. I was 9.

My parents were drinkin and smokin. (Who hasnt been there?, as parents now)

So I was put in the den with some tunes. (DD)

I couldnt believe what I was hearing!!

It wasnt Huey Lewis!! "Sports" being my favorite abum at the time. (sorry)
:D

Anyhoo...

Then after I was hooked, the first VH album I bought was VH I.

After hearing DD's humor, as well as fury, imagine hearing RWTD et al.

Blew my fucking 9 year old mind.

It changed my fuckin life.

And I still hear it, every time I put em on.

It's a lifestyle.

You either get it or ya dont.

I dont hate Hagar fans, I pity em'.

Life is BIG TIME, and these fuckin GODS are, not were, the soundtrack.

VH will NEVER be dated, which I cant say about Hagar.

Anyway, Im done ramblin.

Thank you all, youre the shit.

As Dave says, It hangs in the air like a thousand Indian summers.

Get on the bus. Go Roth or go home.

I'm done.

Peace out.
:cato2:

Thats why Hagar gets 1 of these,:monekyr: and I will NEVER apologise for it.

Nickdfresh
01-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by MAX

Intruder/Pretty Woman was the first VH song I recall hearing on the radio in 1982, and that one that made me an eternal CVH fan! But I bought 'VHI' first, then '1984,' 'Diver Down' was third, then I filled out the rest of the collection.

Big Troubles
01-24-2005, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
This is the key.

DD was also my first. I was 9.

My parents were drinkin and smokin. (Who hasnt been there?, as parents now)

So I was put in the den with some tunes. (DD)

I couldnt believe what I was hearing!!

It wasnt Huey Lewis!! "Sports" being my favorite abum at the time. (sorry)
:D

Anyhoo...

Then after I was hooked, the first VH album I bought was VH I.

After hearing DD's humor, as well as fury, imagine hearing RWTD et al.

Blew my fucking 9 year old mind.

It changed my fuckin life.

And I still hear it, every time I put em on.

It's a lifestyle.

You either get it or ya dont.

I dont hate Hagar fans, I pity em'.

Life is BIG TIME, and these fuckin GODS are, not were, the soundtrack.

VH will NEVER be dated, which I cant say about Hagar.

Anyway, Im done ramblin.

Thank you all, youre the shit.

As Dave says, It hangs in the air like a thousand Indian summers.

Get on the bus. Go Roth or go home.

I'm done.

Peace out.
:cato2:

Thats why Hagar gets 1 of these,:monekyr: and I will NEVER apologise for it.

Good to meet a true Roth fan! Cheers!:)

Terry
01-25-2005, 11:22 PM
CVH reached their apex with Women and Children First and Fair Warning for me. Diver Down and 1984 each have their high points (Hang 'Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars, The Full Bug, Drop Dead Legs, Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad, House Of Pain)...

You can hear the seeds of Van Hagar in 1984 at times in terms of the instrumentation. Basically it was the logical conclusion to the only era of Van Halen that mattered, hindsight being 20/20, or whatever. Am just glad that lineup lasted as long as they did. Each one of the classic albums get spin-time from me, and each evoke different moods. Not sure if classic Van Halen's career was a progression from Van Halen to 1984 or not, as I'm too partial to the first 4 of the 6-pack.

When I hear 1984 now, can't imagine the band continuing with Roth in it any longer than it did, as much as I'd have wanted it to. Ed was getting pussified, with Al and Mike all too ready to acquiesce. Thinking of Dave singing over the music for "Love Comes Walking In", or "Dreams"...never mind if his voice was physically capable of it, it would have just been a bad fit all the way around.

sonic_raver
01-25-2005, 11:34 PM
I'm sorry but Jump is the best pop song ever. You cant fuck with diamond sales status. 1984 is one of the most important rock albums of that decade. If you compare CVH to what came after, the first six pack is all good.

DlocRoth
01-26-2005, 12:23 PM
You too, BT!

Carmine
01-26-2005, 12:34 PM
i still do. I dont know about anyone else, but Im 34 and all I really play is CVH. Is that normal? lol When I make a mixed CD, I throw in AT LEAST 5 or 6 CVH songs. My wife tolerates it. My daughter doesn't care either way, but my son LOVES IT. He loves Dave, which is cool for me. I bought him the 6 pack and the best off. he has allt he vids now. He just turned 9 in Dec.

HOLY SHIT...thats like reading my own story BT!

I'm 33...all I play is VH/DLR
wife tolerates it
daughter actually likes it...knows some words to a few tunes
Son LOVES it too....its all he plays! Bought him the 6 and EEAS this past year.
He turned 9, last saturday. Dave only boy he is...I had no influence there. I let the BO Vol 1 play all the way through one time...he asked during WCTBL.."Dad, is this Van Halen still? I knew right then that my boy would be just fine....

Big Troubles
01-26-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.

wife tolerates it
He turned 9, last saturday. Dave only boy he is...I had no influence there. I let the BO Vol 1 play all the way through one time...he asked during WCTBL.."Dad, is this Van Halen still? I knew right then that my boy would be just fine....

Right On! Cheers to you my friend! :) I think it's our duty to make sure future generations not only appreciate the talents of cvh and dave roth, but also understand the story to the horrible break up and how this all lead to the embarassment that is VH today and the stature of the greatest frontman alive. DLR

Carmine
01-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Right On! Cheers to you my friend! :) I think it's our duty to make sure future generations not only appreciate the talents of cvh and dave roth, but also understand the story to the horrible break up and how this all lead to the embarassment that is VH today and the stature of the greatest frontman alive. DLR

Absolutely Bro! Except, my boy is still holding a grudge I didn't take him to the Rama show....getting a copy of the boot, made it worse! LOL...

I have also graciously corrupted my 11 year old godson....ahhhh youth, they need to know the REAL DEAL....Carry the torch boys!

Terry
01-26-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by sonic_raver
I'm sorry but Jump is the best pop song ever. You cant fuck with diamond sales status. 1984 is one of the most important rock albums of that decade. If you compare CVH to what came after, the first six pack is all good.

Jump is a great pop song, agreed. But I dig the harder edge of Halen. Plus, Jump has been overplayed into the ground.

1984 sold a lot of albums, no doubt, but sales figures don't really do it for me. If Van Hagar had outsold CVH 2:1, wouldn't make it better, just as CVH outselling Van Hagar 2:1 is more of an indicator.

1984 has four songs I really dig (Hot For Teacher, Drop Dead Legs, Girl Gone Bad, House Of Pain), one I dig a little less (Top Jimmy), one that's just average to me (Panama), two I gave a wide berth to even when the album first came out (Jump, I'll Wait) and the title track, which is filler.

1984 just isn't quite everything I want out of a classic Van Halen album, but totally agree that CVH at their worst is still miles above what transpired under the Van Halen name after Dave left.

Nickdfresh
01-27-2005, 09:03 AM
I like "Jump" with Roth on it. His irrevent style and mojo comes through and saves an Eddie keyboard experiment from turning into a flaming JOURNEY track.

But hearing Sammy sing it live is possibly akin to listening to cat's being tortured to death. Not pretty, no not pretty at all. Steve-fucking-Perry would have been a better choice!

BIG GOOSE
01-27-2005, 09:50 AM

during WCTBL.."Dad, is this Van Halen still? I knew right then that my boy would be just fine....

Smart boy,Ragoo!! You must be proud:cool:
Goes to show ya tho even a 9 yr old kid knows sonic excreta when he hears it.
Maybe your son should educate the VH bros on what is good VH and bad VH as those pair of drunken,drug addled motherfuckers haven't a clue for the last 20 yrs.:donkey:

UGS
01-30-2005, 05:11 PM

wife tolerates it

Same sorta thing happened to me. I was twelve or thirteen when I saw VH with Cherone promoting VHIII (don't blame me for being born fifteen years or so too late, a month to the day after Roth left actually, and missing my favourite band in its prime) Before the commercial break, they showed a clip of the Jump video, I thought it was pretty sweet, so I went out and bought BOVI. This was before I knew anything about all the different singers and whatnot. I still remember listening to that album, and always wondering why it started to suck right after Panama. . .

Big Troubles
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
:D so... (drum roll please) who is your fav and only true lead singer for Van Halen....?

UGS
01-31-2005, 09:08 PM
Like I said, BOVI was the first VH cd I bought. For some reason, only songs 1-8, 16&17 got played. . . .hmmmmm I wonder why?. After that I bought VHI, and then completed the six pack over the next few months. So to answer your question I SAY:

Roth. . . David Lee Roth.

Big Troubles
02-01-2005, 11:57 PM
:D cool bro!

DeadOrAlive
02-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Calderone
You are CVanhalenizing your little son !!!!
That was very very nice to read !
Dave gettin' to the future generations ...show him the Interviews
he will learn and will have a lot of success if he learn to speak like Dave

LOL my dad, my bro, and my mom all CVHalenized me... the absolute best thing ever... the first time i heard eruption i pissed my pants a little... keep that our little secret ok?