Banner ads on the front page?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flash Bastard

Banner ads on the front page?

Just logged in this morning and saw a large banner ad on the front page, it's still there 5 hours later.

What gives?
  • Lou

I got a POP UP ad while reading Joey T's posts on The Wall. This sucks!!!

Comment

• Flash Bastard

Originally posted by Lou
      At least the banner I saw was contained on the main page and not any where else I've seen so far....

But a popup is simply inexecusable on ANY page of this site.

I feel that my bunghole has been violated. How much money can I spend to make this dirty feeling go away?

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

Hey Flash, if you and like 20 others donated a little, Sarge wouldnt
        need to put that shit up..
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Sarge
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Originally posted by Flash Bastard
          Just logged in this morning and saw a large banner ad on the front page, it's still there 5 hours later.

What gives?
          The reason for banner ads is to pay for hosting.
          We eat up large amounts of bandwith a month.
          The banners are from my host.. as a way to lessen my bandwith bill.
          I set up a donation system here hoping that it would pay for the website.. but it doesn't.
          I am committed to keeping this website up fulltime for years.. but to expect me to personally foot a bill that amounts to more than one of my utility bills at home is absurd. I have done it for years and put thousands of dollars into this website.
          If more people donated then it wouldn't be a problem.
          Sarge
          ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
          The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
          [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Sarge
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Originally posted by Lou
            THere isn't any popups.. anywhere
            WHich is worse though..
            Having you to put up with 1 popup or me paying a huge bill every month?
            Sarge

Comment

• Sarge
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

The banner ads are on the main page and on the forums.
              Only guests see the banners on the forums.. with a prompt to register to make them disappear.

I might remove the banners from the main page depending on the results from the guests viewing the ads.

It kills me to find people thinking I am making money on this.. when we are ALWAYS in the red!

Our bandwith bill has almost doubled since may..
              Sarge

Comment

• tomballin
                Commando
                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Sarge
                THere isn't any popups.. anywhere
                WHich is worse though..
                Having you to put up with 1 popup or me paying a huge bill every month?
                Sarge
                Well, imo, according to the attitude of some your moderators Sarge, the popups are worse. They don't care about your huge bill every month, imo.

Ya know, I am so glad this little subject came up and Lou 'lil comments.

I am going to take the liberty to cross-post here my comments from the Bootleg Corner/Downloads Forums, after I got tired of the bullshit from two R.A. Moderators.

Ya know, the best way to keep a site running and pay bills, is attract good quality membership, AND have good supporting Moderators, that make it fun to come to R.A. and contribute.

--------------

Thread:
                Lou & Dave’s PA Rental for Bootleg Corner/Downloads Forum Mods
                It's All Catos's Fault

Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
                HE IS TRYING TO ENJOY THE FUCKING MUSIC!!!!!!

Cato, you are a fucking DINOSAUR! You are lucky that Sarge likes you and USES YOU so he can fill up his I-pod with live classic VH. He is the only one who matters that still supports you and your bullshit format. Sarge only has to say the word and I'll open up EVERY FUCKING ONE of my non-mp3 classic VH shows for the members here. I'll bet Lou would do the same. How THE FUCK is it that Lou and Dave's PA Rental are not the Bootleg Forum Mods here at the greatest DLR/Classic VH site on the internet? I answer half the fucking questions that people have here anyway. Now put that in your American-to-Jap translation software and blow it out your little rice-paddy ass!
                --------------

Tomballin says:

1. Hey, are you and Lou, volunteering to pay R.A.’s monthly broadband bill, to load all these high density/file size/quality audios on this site? If so, let me know and I will load all the awesome high density/file size/quality Van Roth and DLR solo videos I have on R.A. also, since audios bore the shite out of a lot of people. And, Van Roth and DLR has ALWAYS been “got to see them live” bands.

1a. You two monkeys have any idea what the monthly R.A. broadband bills are currently? I don’t know, I’m asking you two moderators.

2. Are you and Lou, volunteering to buy all the R.A. members a fancy new computer and pay their monthly high speed broadband connection, if they don’t/cannot afford this, so they can handle all the awesome high density/file size/quality audios and video?

You two guys ever consider that some R.A. members, tap R.A.’s Houston, Texas based servers from 6-10,000 miles away, a lot of them are on dialup or lower speed broadband connections?

Ya know, I have a huge computer system/network on a 9,000 kbps fiber optics dedicated line, with a 1,500kbps ADSL backup. I can download 10-30MB files faster than I can take a piss.

What,…..am I suppose to rub shite in everyone’s face, (like you two ass clowns AND R.A. MODERATORS do) that don’t have a nice/expensive setup. NOT HARDLY!

One more thing, it’s pretty fucking disgusting that several R.A. moderators are some of the worse acting assholes on this site, for no reason. What, you become a moderator and that’s your “free pass” to act like a POS, and demonstrated your total ignorance.

I/others come over to the Bootleg Forum and we got three moderators in a 3 way circle jerk, stinking up the place. Come on guys, enough of this mindless shite, already! Find some better influences, some better pussy to bang on, and chill out please.

I don’t know Cato from a hole in the ground, but a lot of people, including myself, come to this site because of the awesome job he and Sarge have done with the Bootleg/Download Forum. END OF DISCUSSION

Ya know, I don’t like the low quality videos on this site, other VH/DLR sites, and 99% of ALL music sites. But ya know, quality cost MONEY, whether it’s pussy, gear, or putting high quality auds/vids on a website.

Again, we can end you and Lou’s mindless bullshit, when you two clowns start paying R.A.’s monthly broadband bill, for the Bootleg / Downloads Forums, and buy all the R.A. members the gear/connection they need for your “Project Elitist 2005”.

Let all the membership know when you two have all this done, so we ALL can start uploading/downloading our high quality/file size videos and audios on this great site AND vote for you two as Bootleg/Downloads Forum mods.

Nuff Said.

----------------

Originally posted by tomballin
                I had this girlfriend once, had a little click in her jaw, didn't affect the quality of the BJ's one bit.

She would also kinda hiss sometimes during hard dog-styling, didn't affect the quality of that either.

Originally posted by Dan
                Now that's Funny Tom.
                Tomballin says>>>

Moral of story, everything in life is relative,

and

some people need to get a life.
                Last edited by tomballin; 01-23-2005, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• tomballin
                  Commando
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                  Hey Flash, if you and like 20 others donated a little, Sarge wouldnt
                  need to put that shit up..
                  Yelp, right on the money, haaa!

Originally posted by Lou
                  Funny the biggest complainers are the NON-DONORS, that are only good for pissing people off for no valid reason.

Comment

• smaz
                    Commando
                    • Mar 2004

Surely there are ways to cut the bandwidth down???
                    Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Comment

• tomballin
                      Commando
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by smaz
                      Surely there are ways to cut the bandwidth down???
                      Sarge:

I gotta think the Download Forum is eating your lunch on broadband cost. Ya gotta lot of great stuff there, and a lot more could be added.

But anyone can join, hit the download forum, and never make a post, or do anything for R.A. Kinda like I do at DDLR.com, baaahaaa…….Sorry I had to say that because of one DDLR member that comes over here and gives me shite all the time, for no reason, LOL. BTW, great site, and they have some killer downloads once and a while, AGAIN if you have the computer and connection to handle huge file sizes.

Just a couple of ideas thinking out loud, and what other forums are starting to do. Some sites:

1… Require so many “solid posts” (as determined by a moderator) before you can hit the download section. Say 25, and no bullshit or pic posts count, etc. Stops the drive by leeches.

2…Are dumping the streaming video, and have download only. The streaming video just cost too much to maintain, and broadband cost will continue to keep rising.

Thing about downloading, the member can watch the video/hear the audio as many times as they want, but it only cost R.A. once on the download. If they watch the on-line streaming video 25 times, it cost the site 25 times.

3…Limit, how may times per week you can download, or better how many megabits per week you can download.

4…Some sites the moderators/key members are finding/funding off-site servers to help with the hosting, via direct links. (This is probably the route I will go to load up high quality/high resolutions/remastered videos of Van Roth and DLR shows)

5. Ad banners, contextual ads. Sorry sign of the times, however if members are running proper ad blocking and filter software/TCP-IP ad/malware block file you will never see the ads.

I didn’t know about the ad situation on R.A. until this pussy bitch thread. Had to turn my ad filter apps off to know what people were talking about. Ok, turned it back on, banner ad gone, gee that was so hard.

6. Or some combination of the above.

I am sure there are pros at R.A. that have other/better ideas, this was just some quick ideas, before heading out the door.

Comment

• lms2

Originally posted by Sarge
                        The reason for banner ads is to pay for hosting.
                        We eat up large amounts of bandwith a month.
                        The banners are from my host.. as a way to lessen my bandwith bill.
                        I set up a donation system here hoping that it would pay for the website.. but it doesn't.
                        I am committed to keeping this website up fulltime for years.. but to expect me to personally foot a bill that amounts to more than one of my utility bills at home is absurd. I have done it for years and put thousands of dollars into this website.
                        If more people donated then it wouldn't be a problem.
                        Sarge
                        Right on the money there, as usual Sarge...

The bandwidth issues and donation system are not a secret here, anyone who has been posting here for any amount of time has more than likely heard about it, and adopted the attitude that it isn't their problem and are more than happy to let someone else worry about it.

Kudos to Sarge for keeping the place afloat in spite of all that is going on in his life.

The pay pal button is easy enough to find, but I have seen several times where people have asked where to mail the donations to if they don't want to use pay pal. I know your address is here somewhere as I have seen it before, but most people think, I will get to that later... maybe it should be more accessible. Also, I have asked before about having a monthly user fee (optional, of course) in place for people who don't have the bucks to make a large one time donation and would prefer to just pay a small user fee, and never got any feedback on that.

Now, allow me to look really stupid just this once in my life and ask, what exactly wastes the most bandwidth. Is it better to post a picture or an article, or a link to same? Do they use the same amount of bandwidth? Its fun to post pictures for jokes, gags, and to get a point across, but is this whats killing your bandwidth... or is your bandwidths primary problem in the downloads section. Not all of us here are computer genuises. Tell us what crap to cut out!

Comment

• Lou

Well the pictures are absurd. I rarely if ever upload one. If that's the big cause of eating up bandwidth, and I'm sure it is, then fuck it, I'm not paying for people to upload pictures. If it were my site, and I wanted to cut costs, I'd disallow all picture uploads and only URL's to other websites.

Comment

• Lou

Come to think of it, I wonder how much bandwidth that stupid fucking Sheep Pen has chewed up alone. Every other post is a fuckin' pic upload. Bullshit...just disallow picture uploads and there's your solution.

Comment

• Mezro
                              Full Member Status

• May 2004

Anybody who hasn't contributed to the Army needs to shut the fuck up and deal.

Mezro...when it comes time to put your money where your mouth is most people are full of shit...
                              Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

Working...