PDA

View Full Version : Rare DLR Interview: Tiger Beat Star!

rustoffa
01-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Courtesy of my pile of junk stacks:

STAR: Have you read any good books lately?

DAVID: Nothing really good; nothing really exciting...a lot of magazines lately. I can't even remember the last book that I read. Good writing is like good music-you know, it holds its timelessness.

STAR: Where did you get your vocabulary from?

DAVID: I read all the time. I read everything; I always have. And the way you fill up your bucket when it comes time to write, to do a lyric, is to talk to somebody. then you have more up there to choose from. That's just something that I started when I was a little kid.

STAR: Why do you think that Van Halen is so popular?

DAVID: Van Halen is one of the few groups that has maintained its integrity. We're an honest band; what we tell you in an interview, what we sing about, what we look like onstage actually happens; it allreally exists. Everything that you see and hear from Van Halen or better or worse comes out of our own little office.

STAR: You once said that your father wants you to go back to school. Is that true?

DAVID: No, he doesn't. Now my parents respect the big cars and the jet airplanes and things like that. My father said to me about four years ago-you know, he is a doctor-he said, "Man, you're swinging in show biz, Dave! How does it feel?" I said, "It feels great!" Then he said, "You know, I have always wanted to be an actor, especially when I was in school, and somewhere along the line I turned into a doctor." And I said, "Well, start acting." Now I see him guarding the door on one show and as a hit man on another, and even as a good cop!

STAR: Are you from a really straight-laced family?

DAVID: Yes-and look what happened!

STAR: Do you think that Van Halen stands for rebellion?

DAVID: No, not really. There is just a lot of freedom applied in Van Halen. It is all based on intergrity. We say as we want; we do as we want. We just happened to get rich in the interim...somewhere along the way. We make music...we travel. This is all fantasy and dreams and this applies to alot of personal freedom which a lot of people don't have. And I suspect a lot of folks attribute this loss freedom to their parents. (Laughs)

STAR: The song "Jump" has a pretty long intro. Did you do that on purpose so that the DJs could talk over it?

DAVID: No, we didn't. Are you talking about the synthesizer thing that is really slow and dreamy?

STAR: Yes.

DAVID: No, that was put on the twelve-inch. We did a big single with better sound and sent that around and I guess they stuck that on the front piece.

STAR: A lot of people have had strange reactions to that.

............Stay tuned for Dave's stream of consciousness reply in Part II!

You won't want to miss it!

DLR7884
01-24-2005, 03:15 PM
What year is this from?

DLR7884
?

Carmine
01-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Is this an interview from 1984?

Tiger beat...lol....I used to buy that too!

scottydabodi
01-24-2005, 03:33 PM
Excellent post! Keep Rothin'!!

ThrillsNSpills
01-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884
What year is this from?

DLR7884
?

You read them mentioning Jump.....?

DLR7884
01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
You read them mentioning Jump.....?

ok....but was it 1984 or 1985?

That's all I was fucking asking, rimjob.

DLR7884
I knew it mentioned Jump.

ELVIS
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
Is this an interview from 1984?

Tiger beat...lol....I used to buy that too!

Isn't that a girl's rag ??

Carmine
01-24-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

LOL....Could be...All I know is it had VH in it during the 80's.

Are you thinking of Teen Beat?

Not that I know or anything....:rolleyes:

Vivian Campbell
01-24-2005, 06:35 PM
"Are you talking about the synthesizer thing that is really slow and dreamy?"

:lol:

Panamark
01-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Cool !

Second Part Please Mr Rustoffa !

academic punk
02-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS

Nonono...a girl's rag is called a "tampon"!

Toger Beat was a magazine, with a target audience of teenage girls.

degüello
02-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Cool. Thanks, rustoffa.

Kristy
02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Tiger Beat yes, quality journalism that is.

Big Troubles
02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I always loved that interview. I have that mag in fact. The only thing that gets me in the interview, is that at that time, the media was all over that "Dave doesn't like the synth" rumor, yet in this interview he describes the track "1984" as dreamy. :D I liked it because at the time it made me think all the rumors were bullshit and the band was doing just fine. lol FUCK!!!

Big Troubles
02-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Teen Beat was the girly one.

Tiger Beat was a pop star/rock star magazine.

I think? :(