• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Report: Lennox Lewis to come out of retirement

January 23, 2005

LONDON (Ticker) - Former undisputed heavyweight champion of the world Lennox Lewis is set to make a comeback after reportedly receiving an offer of nearly $40 million to fight Ukrainian heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko.

Lewis, who retired last February, admits the money offered has lured him out of retirement.

"I'm making a comeback later this year," Lewis told the Sunday Mirror. "The money is up to 21 million (pounds) right now and I simply can't turn that much cash down."

With a professional record of 41-2-1 (32 KOs), Lewis became the first reigning heavyweight champion to retire since Rocky Marciano in 1956.

Reports suggest the 39-year-old Lewis could be ready for a rematch in November with Klitschko, whom he defeated via a sixth-round technical knockout in his last fight on June 21, 2003. Lewis watched Klitschko defeat England's Danny Williams last month.

"I wanted to get in the ring and show Danny how to beat him," Lewis said. "I've had to listen to a lot of rubbish from Klitschko, and he is starting to get on my nerves."

Before his reported rematch with Lewis, Klitschko will defend his title against Hasim Rahman in May.
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Well...at least it will be an amusing fight...

Lewis...if all things are equal...should win this handily...

but who knows with a break of almost a year...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

He wasn't looking like any kind of shape either when I saw him last.

He'll need to shed major pounds.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Fuck them both...

the heavyweight division has sucked since the mid 80's...

Give me the Welterweights or Middleweights any day of the week...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• T,nextquestion
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Jan 2005

I've heard he's coming out because he wants to take on Minto.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

He's coming out so he can fucking eat Mento's?

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Minto LOST to a 42 year old, 300+lbs, recovering crack addict, Tony Tubbs.

Lewis will kill him.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Al...ignore him...make fun of him...stop legitimizing...lmfao...

I'm starting to sound like an echo...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Just saying he'd have a better shot fight the Mento ...

Lewis would kill him.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

And watch what the fag does when I ignore him.

He's as bad as Katy.

Comment

• redblkwht
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                      Fuck them both...

the heavyweight division has sucked since the mid 80's...

Give me the Welterweights or Middleweights any day of the week...
                      I totally agree all the heavyweight region, Light heavy
                      Cruiser they all blow. I dig Arturo Gatti go figure.

EUAS

Comment

• DLR7884
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Boxing?

Yawn.

DLR7884
                        What a fucking boring ass sport it has become.
                        Originally Posted by WARF:
                        DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Lennox Lewis denies reports of a comeback

January 24, 2005
                          LONDON (Ticker) - One day after a newspaper reported his decision to return to the ring, former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis denied that he plans to come out of retirement.

Lewis, who retired on February 6, 2004 with a record of 41-2-1 and 32 knockouts, was reported by the Sunday Mirror to be coming back for a rematch with World Boxing Council champion Vitali Klitschko for nearly $40 million later this year.

On Monday, however, Lewis told a different story

"I'd like to address the stories that are circulating in the press regarding my return to the ring," Lewis said. "I want to reiterate what I said when I retired in February 2004 - that I was fortunate to leave the sport on my own terms and that I will be one of the few heavyweight champions in history to retire on top and stay retired.

"I boxed professionally for many years and there will always be an attraction to the sport, but I'm not returning to the ring."

The 39-year-old Lewis, who became the first reigning heavyweight champion to retire since Rocky Marciano in 1956, defeated Klitschko via sixth-round technical knockout in his last fight on June 21, 2003.

"I think Lennox has made the right decision," British boxing great Henry Cooper said. "Once you decide to retire it's right that you stay there."

Regarded as the best of the current crop of heavyweights, Klitschko defeated England's Danny Williams in convincing fashion last month. Klitschko will defend his title against Hasim Rahman in May.

Comment

Working...