PDA

View Full Version : GUITARWORLD confirms Edward Van Halen's Gift to DIMEBAG DARRELL

Matt White
01-24-2005, 12:16 AM
The March 2005 issue of GUITARWORLD magazine is a tribute to "Fallen " guitar heroes. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT is on the cover. His life and death are covered. Nick Bowcott, former guitarist for Grim Reaper and DIMEBAG friend, tells of the funeral service for the slain PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN guitarist:
"Only a few weeks earlier, Darrell and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul, had finally met their Van Halen counterparts, Eddie and Alex, an occasion Dime described to me as inspirational, uplifting, and almost religious. Darrell had asked Van Halen if there was any way he could jump the queue and buy one of the limited-edition black-and-yellow-striped Charvel guitars. Ed replied that he would tape the thing up himself, in Dime's presence. As this was no longer possible, Edward explained, he wanted to give Dime the ORIGINAL black-and-yellow ax, the guitar depicted on the back of VAN HALENII. It is this guitar Dime was holding when he was laid to rest."

CLASS ACT Mr. VAN HALEN.

MAX
01-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Holy Moly!!!

Who'd a thunk it?

Ok Ed, now be human with Mr. Roth while both of you are still with us.

Again......

Yet another stellar post Mattaeo. ;)

:gulp:

light 'em up!
01-24-2005, 12:28 AM
So, this guy was burried with EVH's black and yellow axe... what a way to go!

Watch out for grave robbers.

sambo
01-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Impressive indeed..

Great post...

Matt White
01-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by MAX
Holy Moly!!!

Who'd a thunk it?

Ok Ed, now be human with Mr. Roth while both of you are still with us.

Again......

Yet another stellar post Mattaeo. ;)

:gulp:

Let's hope it's a sign of more good deeds to come, Maximilian!:D

MAX
01-24-2005, 01:07 AM
Nice!!!!

Mattaeo and Maximillion!!! Works for me my friend. :D

tomballin
01-24-2005, 01:59 AM
That's one hell of a story dude!

I was not a Pantera fan, but this chick made me go see them years back. We sat maybe 20 ft from Abbott, and holy fuck could that guy play! The date sucked, but I'm glad she got me hooked on Dimebag.

For anyone interested, I have all the TV videos, etc, when Dime went down last month, including the video inside the club.

I'm so glad the cops killed the shooter!!

Originally posted by Matt White
The March 2005 issue of GUITARWORLD magazine is a tribute to "Fallen " guitar heroes. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT is on the cover. His life and death are covered. Nick Bowcott, former guitarist for Grim Reaper and DIMEBAG friend, tells of the funeral service for the slain PANTERA/DAMAGEPLAN guitarist:
"Only a few weeks earlier, Darrell and his brother, drummer Vinnie Paul, had finally met their Van Halen counterparts, Eddie and Alex, an occasion Dime described to me as inspirational, uplifting, and almost religious. Darrell had asked Van Halen if there was any way he could jump the queue and buy one of the limited-edition black-and-yellow-striped Charvel guitars. Ed replied that he would tape the thing up himself, in Dime's presence. As this was no longer possible, Edward explained, he wanted to give Dime the ORIGINAL black-and-yellow ax, the guitar depicted on the back of VAN HALENII. It is this guitar Dime was holding when he was laid to rest."

CLASS ACT Mr. VAN HALEN.

BrownSound1
01-24-2005, 03:11 AM
I tip my hat to Edward on this one....a very kind act indeed.

scottydabodi
01-24-2005, 03:38 PM
WOWEE-WOW-WOW-WOW!! I can't believe Eddie did something COOL. That's really trippy... Now all we need is for Ed to learn to play "Unchained" correctly...

lms2
01-24-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by light 'em up!
So, this guy was burried with EVH's black and yellow axe... what a way to go!

Watch out for grave robbers.

I find it hard to believe that he was actually buried with thing... I wonder how long it will be before someone decides to check?

5150Clown
01-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Edward, it's strange how all of a sudden he cares after years of telling us all to Fuck Off. Is he bi-polar? I mean, I'm not trying to make fun of anything here because really, hats off to Eddie, but I guess we the fans aren't worthy unless we like Spam?

tomballin
01-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by scottydabodi
WOWEE-WOW-WOW-WOW!! I can't believe Eddie did something COOL. That's really trippy... Now all we need is for Ed to learn to play "Unchained" correctly...

>>>Now all we need is for Ed to learn to play "Unchained" correctly...

Forget About It!!!!

tomballin
01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Back when EVH has his teeth, but was missing a pickup. Now he has his pickups, but is missing his teeth.

Aw the winds of time.........

DavidLeeNatra
01-24-2005, 06:18 PM
if true...class act...

Nickdfresh
01-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by tomballin
Back when EVH has his teeth, but was missing a pickup. Now he has his pickups, but is missing his teeth.

Aw the winds of time.........

I do believe that is the first pic I've seen of Eddie with a Gibson Les Paul.

Sarge's Little Helper
01-24-2005, 06:24 PM

<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/admin/dbprefs.php</b> on line <b>52</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>302</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>302</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>318</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>318</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>187</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>187</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>235</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>235</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/graphnew.php</b> on line <b>298</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/graphnew.php</b> on line <b>298</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>250</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>250</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_insert_id(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>253</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>270</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>270</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Too many connections in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>285</b><br />
<br />
<b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>285</b><br />

ELVIS
01-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

Edward played a Les Paul almost 100% of the time, right up to the making of the first album...

The guitar heard on the majority the first album is an Ibanez Destroyer...

GAR
01-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by 5150Clown
Edward, it's strange how all of a sudden he cares after years of telling us all to Fuck Off.

The Sisters are masters of the Cruelty in Humour category.

As in Ivory Soap Purity.

As in: there is 99-44/100ths percent chance the guitar buried was an "extra".

tomballin
01-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh

I hadn’t either. Pic is 1977, I understand. I was over at Gibson’s booth at NAMM and was digging through this portfolio of their players, while I was awaiting to talk to this guy, and both EVH and Stevie Ray Vaughan were in there as Gibson players.

I was like wait a fucking minute EVH and SRV are not Gibson players, maybe in their youth before they got their break (at the very most) and started putting out albums, but I though Gibson was really pushing the bullshit here.

Frankly it pissed me off. As soon as I get back home, I am going to send an email to Jimmie Vaughan and see if he knows Gibson is using SRV’s name. $100 says he doesn’t. EVH I couldn’t give a shite about at this point.

redblkwht
01-25-2005, 12:36 AM
For what Edward did for dimebag, that was all class..
its too bad he wasnt like that ALL time.

Cathedral
01-25-2005, 12:54 AM
I find an error in this article because Dime met Edward in the early '90's, not just a few weeks before his death.
If i am not mistaken, Pantera opened a few shows for Van Hagar according to an old Dime interview.

They also toured with Priest when i saw Pantera for the first and last time.

The only song i know from them really is Cemetary Gates, it was sort of a theme song for me when my first wife passed away.
Something about that song just fit, and it helped me to release my emotions.
The lyrics were descriptive of how i was feeling and probably helped save me from self destruction.

I remember the conclusion being that i didn't want to leave our daughter "incomplete" by doing something stupid and not being part of her life.
Lord knows i felt incomplete through that period.

I think Ed's gift was a selfless act, and i'm sure he didn't do a switch with an extra guitar.
He's still a shitty human being in my opinion, but the question of does he or doesn't he have a heart has been answered.

Now if he'd just wake the fuck up and mend his own fences...

Matt White
01-25-2005, 01:10 AM
Wow Cathedral, very sorry to here about your loss man.
Nice to hear somebody say that METAL helped 'em through what is the most difficult thing a person can face. Hope your daughter is doing well.

That's how I took this story: A decent gesture by a guy to a fan. The fact that their both stars is completely irrelevant.

As as far as that guitar goes, I think NICK BOWCOTT has been around EVH enough to know the difference. The dude has worked for GUITARWORLD & MARSHALL for a long time.

FORD
01-25-2005, 02:30 AM
Pantera opened for Van Hagar? How the HELL did that work???

Even in their Pant-HAIR-a days, I don't see that working.

Anyway, I hope the Abbot family has that grave secured, because some asshole's gonna dig him up eventually if it means getting one of Eddie's guitars. Hell, those assholes dug up Skynyrd's bones a few years ago, and they didn't even have any instruments buried with them.

ELVIS
01-25-2005, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Anyway, I hope the Abbot family has that grave secured, because some asshole's gonna dig him up eventually if it means getting one of Eddie's guitars.

I doubt that...