PDA

View Full Version : What if DAVE & ED, MIKE, & AL Aren't Estranged?

Nickdfresh
01-26-2005, 02:14 PM
With the purchase of Van Halen's back catalogue by a new group that bought AOL/Time-Warner, is there something more to this CVH feud or estrangement than we are led to believe?

This Just mere speculation on my part. But if Van Halen were to bring Dave back into the fold, even without releasing a studio record, and just tour; would they not make a hell of a lot of money for the company that owned the rights to their music?

Maybe these guys really have been secretly talking. Maybe they even want to pursue a tour.

But maybe a hypothetical CVH would be asking, "What's in it for us?" Perhaps they are teasing potential suiters in order to maximise their value for restoring rights to the CVH six-pack and even a new record contract.

Could the continued CVH have a reunion in the wings with their estrangement as a cover story and a bargaining chip to get the best deal?
http://glen.utdallas.edu/Glen/CDs/Van%20Halen/van%20halen.jpg

Jérôme Frenchise
01-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Well, Nick, money would be a really bad reason for the long-awaited reunion. The very last motive, but, effectively, anything would do, as long as it happens.:cool:

Nickdfresh
01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Yes, but if people are going to make money off Van Halen, it should be mostly Van Halen. I just wonder cause I don't hear the venom between the two camps anymore. Maybe Ed and Dave can get along on some level. Then again maybe I'm full of shit and don't know.

Big Train
01-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Nick the amount of money the company is going to make (and, for the record, they only purchased WMG, not AOL Time Warner) is going to remain fairly constant in terms of catalog sales, although it would have a nice bump. The Greatest Hits was the attempt at exactly what your talking about.

The carrot is really dangling in front of CC and there have been NUMEROUS attempts by several suitors to make the stars align correctly. It is a hard case to make to both parties who make millions either way, that they should get together for a few more. Only broke bands (Queensryche, Deep Purple) do such things...

Nickdfresh
01-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Good info, thanks Train.

Terry
01-26-2005, 11:25 PM
Nickd, not sure Ed and Al would be capable of being silent about Roth being in the wings.

About the most encouraging thing was Roth referring Ed to a doctor in 2000/2001, along with Dave's virtual silence about the 2004 farce.

Think 1996 was the best shot for a reunited classic Van Halen to make any money for a record label. Average age of a Van Halen fan now has gotta be somewhere around 30-35, and anyone willing to go to a classic VH concert probably already owns the records.

If some grand scheme is in the works, it should be sprung within the next half-decade. As time marches on, fewer people are gonna give a shit about seeing these guys reunite. The demand now isn't as high as it was ten years ago, and is only lessening.

Panamark
01-27-2005, 08:05 AM
I would be happy for Ed and Dave to bury the hatchet, and tell Al to shut the fuck up. I would love just one more original album.
More than a tour. (Easy for me to say cos its unlikely we would
see a tour anyways in Oz) :p

Jérôme Frenchise
01-27-2005, 03:04 PM
The one point of the reunion would be about how big our disappointment could be. We've been fantasizing for so long that the risk of getting sick is very high, whatever the reason for that sickness is. See what I mean?:confused: