what song was shelved for dancin in the street?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buckshotjenkins
    Roadie
    • Jan 2005

what song was shelved for dancin in the street?

i read a long while ago that ed had a badass moog riff around the time that someone told him to adapt the idea to the silly cover dancin in the street. i wish ed play more cool thing like that, because altough the song is kinda lame the sound of the moog rocked. in fact if spam halen (that's great fellas) is done, and roth ain't in the sisters' cards, then i'd love to hear an instrumental album with some other musicians besides alica and rolly-polly boy. plus since i've discovered new things other than VH, i've decided that the clavinet is the funkiest sound around, and i know prince edward could go to town on one. solo record ed! no pussy ballads! i'll buy it.
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

That song is the worst Van Halen cover, ever.

Hey Dude, look for "MOOG plays The Beatles"
    Its a really old album, you would love it.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

i happen to like Dancin in the Streets...

Dave sounds he's having a good time with that one, like he's singing in the shower or something.

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I guess Ive never liked that song, especially the bisex version from
        Jagger/Bowie.
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• academic punk
          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
          Jagger/Bowie.

Well, on that you're right. That version is just scary.

Comment

• Wolverine

I know Could this Be Magic? knocked off a song on WACF...It's called "Unreleased" on the WACF Studio Sessions Bootleg!!

Comment

• Carmine
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by The Godfather
              I know Could this Be Magic? knocked off a song on WACF...It's called "Unreleased" on the WACF Studio Sessions Bootleg!!
              Really GF??? I never knew that, anyway you can put this tune up? I'd like to hear it.

Comment

• academic punk
                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Quick story re: VH's Dancin' in the Streets: That was Dave's insistence. Eddie has said he's never really liked the song - or the Motown sound in general - but Dave kept pushing for it.

One time Ed was playing around with the riff and the funky effect that VH's version is built around, trying to create a new song, and Ted Templeman (the producer of the entire six pack and Eat' Em) truned and said "Hey! That would be great for Dancing in the Streets!" Before Ed knew it, the entire band agreed, and he found himself stuck.

But Ed - being Ed - said, "Well, I don't want to do covers. I hate covers. If you're going to make me do this cover, then I insist we do "Pretty Woman", another cover. (I know, Ed's logic here does boggle more than a bit)

"Pretty Woman" - as far as Ed was concerned - was more VH's vibe in terms of lyrics, attitude, vocal approach, riffs, humor.

Ed happens to be right here: Pretty Woman IS unquestionably the stronger choice of the two. (I think Dave was plenty happy to record "Pretty Woman" though - he's always enjoyed doing covers and Van Halen-izing them)

whether they recorded the two covers originally trying to decide which of the two they would include on Diver Down, I don't know. Dave wrote lyrics to only four songs on the album - "Hangin' High", "Secretions", "Little Guitarists with Drinking Problems", and "The Bull Fug" - so it's apparent he was goign through a slight dry spell at the time. (maybe he was so busy learning how to play harp for the solo on "Bug")

Comment

• buckshotjenkins
                  Roadie
                  • Jan 2005

thanks!

thank's y'all...i do love diver down. i love big bad bill, secrets, the full bug and especially the "ride out" ending of hang 'em high. that's why i love them...you just never know where they could take it, never knew what was coming next. sadly know we do know...

Comment

• EbDawson
                    Veteran
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                    Quick story re: VH's Dancin' in the Streets: That was Dave's insistence. Eddie has said he's never really liked the song - or the Motown sound in general - but Dave kept pushing for it.
                    Yes, Ed and Alex have cut that song down constantly. Then they include it in BOBWs. Go figure.
                    "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• wombattt
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Apr 2004

That song is the worst Van Halen cover, ever.
                      Yes, EVH says he hated it....& then they put it on their latest grab for cash hits.

another wonderful example of double-talk and contridictions from the Bros. VH.

Comment

• ode2keller
                        Roth Army Recruit
                        • Oct 2004

Diver Down was a good fun CD. I mean think of when it was recorded!

good times ahhhhhhhhhhh

Comment

• tydhurst
                          Commando
                          • Mar 2004

Diver Down is my favourite CVH album, but that cover's pretty shite!
                          Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• ODShowtime
                            ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

Jagger/Bowie.
                            That video is one of the worst productions, audio, or video, ever made. They must have had a bottle of KY jelly in the rider!

But I really like Dancin' in the Streets. That synth sound is freakin' awesome! It would have been cool to use that on a normal song though.

Seriously though folks, I think Dancin in the Streets has one of Eddie's best solos ever. No shit!
                            Last edited by ODShowtime; 02-10-2005, 12:24 PM.
                            gnaw on it

Comment

• wombattt
                              Full On Cocktard
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by EbDawson
                              Yes, Ed and Alex have cut that song down constantly. Then they include it in BOBWs. Go figure.
                              Filler song for the money grab....they probably did it to show how bad they were with DLR....in their warped drunk minds

Comment

Working...