PDA

View Full Version : The New Police?

Figs
01-28-2005, 12:09 PM
In the tradition of diet Van Halen, diet Doors, diet Thin Lizzy, and diet Queen.......

Anyone hear this rumour? I heard it on a radio station but couldn't find anything credible on the web.

This quote is from a cached Melodic Crock webpage, which was about all I could find....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dubbed the New Police, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are in the midst of reforming two-thirds of the once supergroup with bassist/singer Tony Lewis from another popular trio, The Outfield. Over the years much has been written about the similarities of the two groups, especially Lewis' dead-ringer voice for former Police singer/bassist, Sting.

DLR7884
01-28-2005, 12:30 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DLR7884
This shit with bands not fully reuniting is bullshit!

Rikk
01-28-2005, 01:22 PM
If this rumor is true, I'm disgusted. I can also bet a million it's not. Hell, STING doesn't want to reform the band...but even he's sounded more positive about it than the other two.

Coyote
01-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Figs
In the tradition of diet Van Halen, diet Doors, diet Thin Lizzy, and diet Queen.......

Anyone hear this rumour? I heard it on a radio station but couldn't find anything credible on the web.

This quote is from a cached Melodic Crock webpage, which was about all I could find....

Dubbed the New Police, Andy Summers and Stewart Copeland are in the midst of reforming two-thirds of the once supergroup with bassist/singer Tony Lewis from another popular trio, The Outfield. Over the years much has been written about the similarities of the two groups, especially Lewis' dead-ringer voice for former Police singer/bassist, Sting.

Aww shit... this sucks... :(

Figs
01-28-2005, 04:54 PM
It's probably not true, just wondering if anyone else heard anything...

FORD
01-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Well, the voice would fit..... but not much else. The Outfield didn't really sound much like the Police.

But it's a MelodiCrock rumor so my bullshit detector is already going off ;)

rustoffa
01-28-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Well, the voice would fit..... but not much else. The Outfield didn't really sound much like the Police.

But it's a MelodiCrock rumor so my bullshit detector is already going off ;)

I just wanna use your voice, to-ni-i-eeee-ite!
:D

academic punk
01-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Guys -

Calm yourselves. There ain't no way this is true. None. Zip. Zilch. Maybe if they had said something like "dave matthews" will be fronting - or some huge modern name, but sting is still alive for starters, and WTF would Summers and Copeland want with a forgotten one-hit wonder like The Outfield???

Besides, I happen to know for a fact that Sumers and Copeland are working with the guy from the Hooters. AND IT FUCKIN' ROCKS!!!

rustoffa
01-28-2005, 08:14 PM
And we danced!

academic punk
01-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by rustoffa
And we danced!

And We Danced was good, but most fans and critics agree that Hey, All You Zombies where the band really found thier sound and revolutionized the recording industry and rock music.

Without the Hooters, you would've never had Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Dwight Yoakam, etc.

Summers and Copeland are LUCKY this guy was available and willing to take part and help out in creating the most authentic Police reunion possible.

Without Sting.

FORD
01-28-2005, 08:32 PM
The Hooters 2 biggest hits were songs they didn't even sing on.

"Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper)

"What If God Was One of Us" (Joan Osborne)

both written by Rob Hyman & Eric Bazillian of the Hooters. And I don't care what anybody says, I liked their first album. I think they should have stuck with the reggae thing that they did on "Zombies" and "Nervous Night". With both the Police and the Clash breaking up right around that time, there was an open market for "white guys who play reggae", and they fucked up big time by not cashing in. Yeah, there was UB40, but all they ever did was covers.

monkeythe
01-29-2005, 12:35 AM
I thought P Diddy was the new singer of the police.

CVHfan
01-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Well, I heard that it came from melodicrock.com. Most of it is bullshit. They said that David Coverdale would be the next lead singer for VH. We all know that didn't happen. Hopefully this "Police" reunion won't happen.

Beyond that I say, please make it stop. How many more shells of former bands must we endure. The Doors? Queen? Lynyrd Skynyrd? etc.

Dan
01-29-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by monkeythe

HaHa.

FORD
01-29-2005, 02:36 AM

Stewart Copeland would never stoop that low.

ELVIS
01-29-2005, 02:54 AM
I don't believe any of this...

FORD
01-29-2005, 04:03 AM
Where's Lou at? I can't believe he's missed a Police thread?

Jérôme Frenchise
01-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Do you remember this?

A club in London, in the beginning of the 80s. The Stones are there. Keith is in the toilets, doing er... you name it. Then Mick Jagger comes a-knocking at the door (Andy Summers, Stu Copeland and Sting are there, and Mick knows Keith likes their music):
"Keith, Keith... The Police! The Police are there!
- What? Oh, shit!"

And Keith quickly throws his load of powder into the closet...

fenway5150
01-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Hey Figs, what was the radio station you heard that rumour?

academic punk
01-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by FORD
The Hooters 2 biggest hits were songs they didn't even sing on.

"Time After Time" (Cyndi Lauper)

"What If God Was One of Us" (Joan Osborne)

both written by Rob Hyman & Eric Bazillian of the Hooters. And I don't care what anybody says, I liked their first album. I think they should have stuck with the reggae thing that they did on "Zombies" and "Nervous Night". With both the Police and the Clash breaking up right around that time, there was an open market for "white guys who play reggae", and they fucked up big time by not cashing in. Yeah, there was UB40, but all they ever did was covers.

great first he's some crazy liberal, then FORD reveals an affinity for the HOOTERS...

BTW, here's the difference: the Police and Clash were both breakng barriers by being white boys who played reggae.

The Hooters were a bunch of suburbanite neophytes who were copy-cats. Their songs also COMPLETELY lacked the sophistication and humor of the Police, and the raw energy and political stance of the Clash.

That being said, wait till you hear the New Police's version of Hey, All You Zombies. Un-fucking-believable, the way it segues into So Lonely!

Figs
01-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by fenway5150
Hey Figs, what was the radio station you heard that rumour?

i-95 in Danbury

academic punk
01-29-2005, 10:29 AM
i-95 in Danbury

Jesus, 1-95 in Danbury must be owned by Rupert Murdoch then...

fenway5150
01-29-2005, 10:51 AM
That was me you heard mention that. I got it from Melodicrock.com. I think I may have mentioned the website I got it from. If I didn't I should have. I thought it was pretty interesting but didn't wanna make it seem as if it were a fact.

I had the chance to hear Paul Rodgers sing with Queen recently and I was surprised at how good it sounded. I didn't think it would work but it did and their getting a big demand for shows in Europe.

Hey Figs, by the way, I'm on the air right now and M-F 6-10 p.m. Feel free to call me anytime. Always love talkin' to a fellow Roth fan!

Figs
01-29-2005, 11:10 AM
Will do! That's cool as hell! I listened to i-95 since the beginning. I better not hear you play a Van Halen "double shot" with a Hagar tune! I heard a good one last weekend, You really got me & Unchained. I always wonder if you guys are "encouraged" to play one from Dave & one from Sam.

Jérôme Frenchise
01-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by fenway5150
I had the chance to hear Paul Rodgers sing with Queen recently and I was surprised at how good it sounded. I didn't think it would work but it did and their getting a big demand for shows in Europe.

Paul Rodgers is a huge singer. Sure would fit in Queen, if the group ever re-unite.
As for The Police, no substitute to Sting could be found. Anybody else doing it in his place would make it impossible to keep the name. It's just a shame they don't even join together just for one gig, now and then. Why don't they? They aren't in bad terms with each others, are they?

fenway5150
01-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Actually, the Dave-era VH (I'm fucking happy to say) is the one that gets more requests and when we do our music testing and research it always comes up that our listeners prefer the Dave-era more. We're about 75% Roth 25% Hagar. As far as the Double Shots and Two-Fers, I think it's just a matter of throwing in a Hagar tune every now and then.

I don't pick out the songs for the most part during my shift. It's already picked out by the Program Director. I do have the freedom to pick a tune during our Hair Band set at 9 p.m. weeknights so I try to get as deep as I can with Roth solo stuff. I played Damn Good one night.

Wayne L.
01-29-2005, 11:19 AM
I think the Police reuniting without Sting is great because their reign was a long time ago & they already had the reunion at the RNRHOF.

fenway5150
01-29-2005, 11:29 AM
One thing that could squash that rumour is something I read on Billboard.com. Stewart Copeland had a quote about the fact that they can't continue with the Police name without Sting. Sounds like a legal thing. Unless he could get around it by using The New Police or something.

Personally, but I was a fan of The Outfield. I thought the first album was damn good.

Figs
01-29-2005, 11:44 AM
I think the Police are great, but I've seen Sting's setlist on the recent tour and I'm not interested in most of it. I also don't see a reunion ever happening. So call me what you will, but in a small venue, no new songs, I'd probably see this act of heresy.

academic punk
01-29-2005, 12:10 PM
waitwaitwait...
i got it wrong.

The singer from the Hooters isn't working with the Police.

Sting is working with the Hooters rhythm section.

degüello
01-29-2005, 12:12 PM
This better not actually fucking happen.

Figs
01-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love!

Nickdfresh
01-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Summers and Copeland must be really trying to piss off Sting.

Hey, I have an idea. I know a guy who can sing "like a girl" (as Sting once admitted he did in an interview) and play bass! Maybe it could work.
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01/Content/Yamaha/PR/BB3000MA.jpg

academic punk
01-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I've been waiting for that joke for a looong time now...

Nickdfresh
01-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Sorry, but someone had to make that connection.

This would be a laughingstock of a reunion, even more so than the Queen thing.

I heard the Police members had given some thought to a reunion, then they reunited to play Sting's wedding and got pissy with each other in the space of 15 minutes.

academic punk
01-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Sorry, but someone had to make that connection.

This would be a laughingstock of a reunion, even more so than the Queen thing.

I heard the Police members had given some thought to a reunion, then they reunited to play Sting's wedding and got pissy with each other in the space of 15 minutes.

Yeah, I remember that. Copeland was trying to rush the tempo a little, Sting was a little out of tune, and Summers - as always - was off in the corner laughing at the whole thing.

I think they could easily do it now. But - for Sting, especially -what's the incentive?

I think it'll happen in a few more years, where it'll be something for the fans and that they themselves can enjoy and not such an overblown event (sorta like Clapton's reuniting with Cream).

actually, with the concert industry in the flux its in, who knows? promoters may be promising ZILLIONS, or maybe they just don't want to know and want to scale everything back, from venue size to tickey prices.

Nickdfresh
01-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Yeah, I remember that. Copeland was trying to rush the tempo a little, Sting was a little out of tune, and Summers - as always - was off in the corner laughing at the whole thing.

I think they could easily do it now. But - for Sting, especially -what's the incentive?

I think it'll happen in a few more years, where it'll be something for the fans and that they themselves can enjoy and not such an overblown event (sorta like Clapton's reuniting with Cream).

actually, with the concert industry in the flux its in, who knows? promoters may be promising ZILLIONS, or maybe they just don't want to know and want to scale everything back, from venue size to tickey prices.

I think it could. I know Howard Stern actually used to be friends with Sting when he lived in NYC. Stern used to talk about the Police a little bit, saying that Summers and Copeland would both donate their left testicles for a reunion whereas Sting was just like; "Well I don't need the money and I'm not sentimental..." So who knows? But I will no longer buy a record because it says Sting on it!

His music has steadily declined and lost relevance over the years. So I would love to see not only a new tour, but also a Police studio album or two, 'cause Sting needs someone to kick him in the balls and tell him not to be such a flute-playing, yoga pussy!

twonabomber
01-29-2005, 08:35 PM
I think the Police are great, but I've seen Sting's setlist on the recent tour and I'm not interested in most of it.

linky to setlist? i'm too lazy to look. :D

i haven't seen Sting since..fuck, i don't know. whatever year "Vinx" opened...Soul Cages tour?

i see he's playing with a four-piece band, which wouldn't be too bad...but if it's mostly his later solo stuff...i probably won't go. i kinda lost interest somewhere after Ten Summoner's Tales...although it was great to see him play bass again.

Figs
01-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Well here's a related story, not the Outfield dude but.......

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=769&e=1&u=/nm/20050131/music_nm/music_copeland_dc

Who Needs Sting? Police Alumni Rock for the Kids

Sun Jan 30, 7:08 PM ET Entertainment - Reuters

By Stewart Copeland

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Out of the blue comes an e-mail from my brother, Miles: "All confirmed. Rehearsals are next Friday, and your show with Andy Summers (news) and Incubus at the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas will be on Sunday."

Whaaaat? I dimly remember Miles mentioning something about this radio concert, months ago. At the time I said, "Wow, cool," and then forgot about it.

So I'm thinking about it now, a little panicked, and figure, what the heck?

Of course, I had better dig out my drums and try to get some life into my wrists. I remember too vividly getting my ass whupped by young Brain of Primus when I jammed with them some time ago, after not addressing my kit for years. After a long layoff I can still play, but the tiny little muscles that provide the finesse, that enable the cool persnickety stuff that the folks like, are only good for a few squirts before they quit.

I call up Mike, Incubus' guitarist, to see what they have in mind. He proposes that we play the Police's "Roxanne" and "Message in a Bottle" and Incubus' "Pardon Me" and "Megalomaniac."

Andy and I have been trying for years to think of a way of playing Police songs together that doesn't stink to high heaven. We like the songs, and we like playing together, but Sting don't wanna. Of course, we can't be called the Police unless it includes Sting, so what can we do?

I get to rehearsal early. My son Scott is in tow, and he's very impressed to be hanging out with a band that many of his friends are into. His ole Hall of Famer dad is just a dad, but Incubus, "Like, wow!"

Andy and I inspect Incubus' gear, and the first thing we notice is how small it is. Speaker cabinets are now so efficient that no one needs the huge stack-ups that I used to fantasize about as a kid.

Even the drums are small and oddly shaped. Jose has them tuned way tight like a jazz kit (so do I, but neither of us play jazz). I used to be the only drummer who knew how to get a heavy sound from high-pitched drums. Kids today start out knowing everything that we had to learn.

When the band shows up, we go straight into "Roxanne." Having two drummers means that each of us can occasionally depart from our sacred mission of steady groove and indulge in flights of fancy, while the other guy holds it down. Jose is fun to play with.

Brandon, like all pro singers, keeps a low profile. He saves his voice during rehearsals (it's called "marking") but still gives us the cues we need.

Andy and Mike have their heads together, staring intently at each other's fingers on their fret boards as they play.

Eleven bands are set to perform during the gig. Backstage, it's a rock'n'roll party, a mob of carousing fun lovers with crazy hairdos and loud clothing.

Incubus hits the stage to do its own set. They are great performers, an excellent combination of power and poetry. We join them after a few songs. As soon as I'm sitting down, my hands take over and my horse is charging through the bit and over the fields. I try to rein it in a little so that Brandon can sing the song.

We play, and then just like that, in a flash, it's done. Sure, there were a few fender benders. OK, so I played too loud, too fast and too much, but shows like this are such a rare treat that I feel no remorse. Catch me at a real concert, on a real tour, and you may see some finesse, but this was something else. So shoot me if I had too much fun.

By the time I get out of the shower, the rest of the band are whooping it up in the dressing room. It was a good show. The room quickly fills up with friends and family.

I really want to see Green Day play. I lost a bet that I made 10 years ago with my niece that they would vaporize after one hit. I had them figured as a McPunk band (which I didn't hold against them, because that's pretty much what the Police were at first).

So I drag myself away from the party and head out to the auditorium. Here's why Green Day is still here: They write hits, keep it simple, and they connect with the audience. They are tight, professional, confident and energized. I'm not about to rush out and buy all their CDs, but I respect this band.

Life is full of rewards and miseries, but I'm very happy that shows like this come along every once in a while. To some, it may look like Andy and I are clutching on to past glories by playing old hits rather than doing something new. But the fact is, we are both doing a lot of new stuff. Heck, I have a whole new and unrelated career as a film composer.

The devil may take me, but every now and then I will reach into the cookie jar . . .

Thank you, Incubus, for letting us hitch a ride.

Figs
01-31-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey twonabomber, I just saw your post. It was a while back, but I just found one on epinions....

http://www.epinions.com/content_4100104324

Sting Setlist
Send Your Love
Synchronicity II
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Dead Man’s Rope
We’ll Be Together (with Annie Lennox)
Seven Days
Fragile
Fields of Gold
Sacred Love
Englishman in New York
Whenever I Say Your Name (featuring Joy Rose)
Never Coming Home (snippet of When the World is Running Down…)
Roxanne (snippet of King of Pain)

Encore 1
Desert Rose
If I Ever Lose My Faith In You
Every Breath You Take

Encore 2
A Thousand Years

DLR7884
01-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Wayne L.
I think the Police reuniting without Sting is great because their reign was a long time ago & they already had the reunion at the RNRHOF.

Shut the hell up.....you just proved how moronic you are yet AGAIN with that post.

DLR7884
Wayne L. is holding out for a full fledged Wham reunion.

twonabomber
01-31-2005, 11:04 AM
thanks, Figs. it's gonna be a tough call.

fe_lung
01-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Entertainment - Reuters

<b>By Stewart Copeland</b>

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) - Out of the blue comes an e-mail from my brother, Miles: "All confirmed. Rehearsals are next Friday, and your show with Andy Summers (news) and Incubus at the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas will be on Sunday."

Whaaaat? I dimly remember Miles mentioning something about this radio concert, months ago. At the time I said, "Wow, cool," and then forgot about it.

Of course, I had better dig out my drums and try to get some life into my wrists. I remember too vividly getting my ass whupped by young Brain of Primus when I jammed with them some time ago, after not addressing my kit for years. After a long layoff I can still play, but the tiny little muscles that provide the finesse, that enable the cool persnickety stuff that the folks like, are only good for a few squirts before they quit.

I call up Mike, Incubus' guitarist, to see what they have in mind. He proposes that we play the Police's "Roxanne" and "Message in a Bottle" and Incubus' "Pardon Me" and "Megalomaniac."

Andy and I have been trying for years to think of a way of playing Police songs together that doesn't stink to high heaven. We like the songs, and we like playing together, but Sting don't wanna. Of course, we can't be called the Police unless it includes Sting, so what can we do?

I get to rehearsal early. My son Scott is in tow, and he's very impressed to be hanging out with a band that many of his friends are into. His ole Hall of Famer dad is just a dad, but Incubus, "Like, wow!"

Andy and I inspect Incubus' gear, and the first thing we notice is how small it is. Speaker cabinets are now so efficient that no one needs the huge stack-ups that I used to fantasize about as a kid.

Even the drums are small and oddly shaped. Jose has them tuned way tight like a jazz kit (so do I, but neither of us play jazz). I used to be the only drummer who knew how to get a heavy sound from high-pitched drums. Kids today start out knowing everything that we had to learn.

When the band shows up, we go straight into "Roxanne." Having two drummers means that each of us can occasionally depart from our sacred mission of steady groove and indulge in flights of fancy, while the other guy holds it down. Jose is fun to play with.

Brandon, like all pro singers, keeps a low profile. He saves his voice during rehearsals (it's called "marking") but still gives us the cues we need.

Andy and Mike have their heads together, staring intently at each other's fingers on their fret boards as they play.

Eleven bands are set to perform during the gig. Backstage, it's a rock'n'roll party, a mob of carousing fun lovers with crazy hairdos and loud clothing.

Incubus hits the stage to do its own set. They are great performers, an excellent combination of power and poetry. We join them after a few songs. As soon as I'm sitting down, my hands take over and my horse is charging through the bit and over the fields. I try to rein it in a little so that Brandon can sing the song.

We play, and then just like that, in a flash, it's done. Sure, there were a few fender benders. OK, so I played too loud, too fast and too much, but shows like this are such a rare treat that I feel no remorse. Catch me at a real concert, on a real tour, and you may see some finesse, but this was something else. So shoot me if I had too much fun.

By the time I get out of the shower, the rest of the band are whooping it up in the dressing room. It was a good show. The room quickly fills up with friends and family.

I really want to see Green Day play. I lost a bet that I made 10 years ago with my niece that they would vaporize after one hit. I had them figured as a McPunk band (which I didn't hold against them, because that's pretty much what the Police were at first).

So I drag myself away from the party and head out to the auditorium. Here's why Green Day is still here: They write hits, keep it simple, and they connect with the audience. They are tight, professional, confident and energized. I'm not about to rush out and buy all their CDs, but I respect this band.

Life is full of rewards and miseries, but I'm very happy that shows like this come along every once in a while. To some, it may look like Andy and I are clutching on to past glories by playing old hits rather than doing something new. But the fact is, we are both doing a lot of new stuff. Heck, I have a whole new and unrelated career as a film composer.

The devil may take me, but every now and then I will reach into the cookie jar . . .

Reuters/Billboard

DLR_EngineRoom
02-01-2005, 06:14 PM

Good for them. Unlike VH/DLR fiasco, I blame Sting for the Police breakup. Coulda, woulda, shoulda....Sting had a few good hits, but nothin' like Police. So the other 2 thirds gotz together for a semi-reunion with the next best thing? Good for them....won't be the same, but that's Sting's fault.

degüello
02-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Great Copeland article, thanks for the good read. Very cool.

Lou
02-01-2005, 11:17 PM
I feel for Stew and Andy. Sting is really my least favorite Police member personally just because he's such a fuckin' wuss these days. He has made some atrocious music in the last twenty years. Sting truly is to the Police as Van Hagar was to Van Halen.

Now that being said, there is no Police without Sting. When Sting was interested in rocking, he was great. The problem is, he's a prick and he's not interested in rocking anymore. Just like Eddie Van Halen. They can't get along, because Sting doesn't want to do real music anymore. So there's no chance in hell I'd go see this, and that's a damn shame because Stew and Andy are so tremendously talented.

Time's really running out though. Andy is 62 fucking years old.

WARF
02-01-2005, 11:21 PM
When are the new beatles gonna tour?

Jérôme Frenchise
02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by WARF
When are the new beatles gonna tour?

Just waiting for "The night of the living dead #175,986,413"... Aren't you?:D

Gmoney
02-03-2005, 07:38 PM
Sting is too busy stretching his balls up his ass doing Yoga than to do a reunion with the Cops.

bueno bob
02-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Tony Lewis is a dead-on ringer for Sting vocally...but that doesn't make this any less of a gay idea.

BrownSound1
02-05-2005, 01:26 AM
It ain't happening....this story ended up being just another rumor.

Panamark
02-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by DLR7884
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

DLR7884
This shit with bands not fully reuniting is bullshit!

Im with you Mate !

Its fucking bullshit. Give us the real bands !

fe_lung
02-05-2005, 07:24 AM
The first problem with a non-Sting reunion (or carrying on without him) is that every song you'd wanna hear is a Sting song. Ok, there are some Summers songs that are fun in an odd way, but I wouldn't pay to see them live. And I think it's actually a violation of international torture treaties to play Copeland songs, so.....

I saw Sting on the Brand New Day tour and it was awesome, I must say. Great songs all around. That's actually a fantastic album, it just takes a while to grow on you (as did Mercury Falling and, I suspect, the new one). He hasn't really done an album that grabs you straight off the shelf since Summoners Tales, but they all pay off if you invest the time in them.

fe_lung
02-05-2005, 07:26 AM
I thought the reunion at RORHOF was actually kind of cute (if you overlooked Stephen Tyler, Pink, etc singing background vocals). Stewart was positively giddy. You could tell he was having the time of his life.

degüello
02-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by fe_lung
... And I think it's actually a violation of international torture treaties to play Copeland songs...

Does Everyone Stare is a great song.

twonabomber
02-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Any Other Day is another grate one.

Dave IS VH
02-09-2005, 03:38 AM
A police reunion without sting is going to suck, just like the Doors reunion did without Jim Morrison.

Jérôme Frenchise
04-09-2006, 06:39 AM

By Stewart Copeland

Well, this an old thread, but I've just found this 16'-video...
Just skip the first song (I had never heard nor seen Incubus yet, what fags... :eek: ) and watch this after reading Figs's post of Stew Copeland's tale... :cool:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_EL_emqISw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U_EL_emqISw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Terry
04-09-2006, 08:41 AM
The Police went out on top.

Why bother reforming? Nowhere to go but down.

Sure, the rumor sounds like bullshit, but then Copeland (BRILLIANT fucking drummer) didn't have any compunctions about being the drummer for 'The Doors' a few years ago, and that was a sham reunion if ever there was one.

Nickdfresh
04-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I'd still like to see a 'real' Police reunion, but I doubt it will happen if it hasn't already...

P.S. I did a little back reading on the internet regarding this, and it seems that the last serious talk was around 1997 (a milestone for the band, though I forget which). Then about 2003, it seems Copeland gives up hope completely...

But I think these guys could put out a solid album and tour if they wanted too (I have no idea why Sting continues to persist in his boring, adult cuntemporary career, it's just become fucking laborious! I lost interest ten years ago).

Jérôme Frenchise
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
I think these guys could put out a solid album and tour if they wanted too (I have no idea why Sting continues to persist in his boring, adult cuntemporary career, it's just become fucking laborious! I lost interest ten years ago).

It's all Sting's fault indeed. Terry is right too about their splitting right in time, but it's such a pity that they never toured just once in the last 22 years, for fun (and £, $, etc)...
Stu Copeland is still amazing on that vid, damn... He might be something like 55 years old but the way he hits his kit will always stun me. :cool:

Diver Down NJ
04-09-2006, 12:21 PM
As long as they don't call it the Police, I'm cool with Summers and Copeland getting together with a new guy and playing Police stuff. I'd go see it. Fuck Sting and his Jaguar commercials, the pompous sellout.

Terry
04-09-2006, 09:45 PM
I'd still like to see a 'real' Police reunion, but I doubt it will happen if it hasn't already...

P.S. I did a little back reading on the internet regarding this, and it seems that the last serious talk was around 1997 (a milestone for the band, though I forget which). Then about 2003, it seems Copeland gives up hope completely...

But I think these guys could put out a solid album and tour if they wanted too (I have no idea why Sting continues to persist in his boring, adult cuntemporary career, it's just become fucking laborious! I lost interest ten years ago).

I'm kinda conflicted about them getting back together, really, although I'm still leaning towards it being better if they don't.

Sting was the primary songwriter in the band, or at least the one who wrote the majority of the tunes that ended up on their albums...and while for me the Police was never 'Sting and the other two' (what Copeland and Summers brought to those songs and how they were arranged was as important as the basic tunes themselves)...well, Sting hasn't really done a lot in his solo career that got me off the way the Police did. Maybe the lack of Copeland and Summers being there had a lot to do with it (change maybe to probably)...but Sting himself hasn't really come up with anything worth a toss since ten Summoners Tales, and how long ago was THAT?

Plus, Sting seems to have an EVH thing going now (mentioned earlier in the thread 'Sting is to the Police as Van Hagar were to CVH'), where he's running the show, free to pursue a musical career devoid of band democracy (not to mention a pompous, bloated sense of himself and overstated sense of his contributions to the Police). He's not going to want to give that up and go back to what all three freely admit was an at times acrimonious relationship at the time (just like CVH).

Still think the Police did it right by going out when they were at the top, and in many ways considering where EVHs musical direction was headed around the time of 1984, I think the CVH split probably happened at the right time as well.

sisca
04-09-2006, 11:54 PM
I thought P Diddy was the new singer of the police. nah, hes with that band called five-O.

DrMaddVibe
04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Klark Kent!!!!!!!