Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheney Dresses To Keep Warm At Auschwitz Commemoration

Cheney's Auschwitz outfit raises eyebrows

Friday, January 28, 2005 Posted: 3:11 PM EST (2011 GMT)

Cheney sits amid world leaders at ceremony to remember the victims of the Holocaust.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Vice President Dick Cheney raised eyebrows on Friday for wearing an olive-drab parka, hiking boots and knit ski cap to represent the United States at a solemn ceremony remembering the liberation of Auschwitz.

Other leaders at the event in Poland on Thursday marking the 60th anniversary of the death camp's liberation, such as French President Jacques Chirac and Russian President Vladimir Putin, wore dark, formal overcoats and dress shoes or boots.

"The vice president, however, was dressed in the kind of attire one typically wears to operate a snow blower," Robin Givhan, The Washington Post's fashion writer, wrote in the newspaper's Friday editions.

Between the somber, dark-coated leaders at the outdoor ceremony sat Cheney, resplendent in a green parka embroidered with his name and featuring a fur-trimmed hood, the laced brown boots and a knit ski cap reading "Staff 2001."

"And, indeed, the vice president looked like an awkward boy amid the well-dressed adults," Givhan wrote.

Britain's Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph newspapers also both noted that Cheney had opted for casual attire.

The Post's Givhan said Cheney might have been hoping to avoid the cold weather in Oswiecim, but noted he had worn a dark overcoat and no hat at all at another recent winter occasion -- his own swearing-in ceremony on Inauguration Day on Jan. 20 in snow-dusted Washington.

"The vice president might have been warm in his parka, ski cap and hiking boots," Givhan said. "But they had the unfortunate effect of suggesting he was more concerned with his own comfort than the reason for braving the cold at all."

Cheney's staff had no comment on the story.

Copyright 2005 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

CNN

And then Vlad "The Impaler" Putin forgets to mention that it was mostly Jews that died there.

Calm belies deafening sorrow

Rites mark anniversary of Auschwitz liberation

By TOM HUNDLEY
    Chicago Tribune
    1/28/2005

Click to view larger picture
    Associated Press
    The railway tracks of the Auschwitz death camp are illuminated by fire Thursday as leaders of 30 countries gathered to remember victims of the Holocaust on the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Nazi death camp in Oswiecim, Poland.

Click to view larger picture
    Associated Press
    An Auschwitz survivor wears a sash in colors of the Israeli flag Thursday. Red triangle indicates a political prisoner.

OSWIECIM, Poland - Under a bleak sky and steadily falling snow, survivors of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camp gathered with heads of state and other national representatives Thursday to mark the 60th anniversary of the camp's liberation by the Soviet army.

There were speeches and prayers and candles, but the stark reality of this place - the barracks and barbed wire, the railroad tracks leading to the gas chambers - spoke most eloquently.

"It seems as if we can still hear the dead crying out," said Israeli President Moshe Katsav.

French parliamentarian Simone Veil, who was imprisoned here as a 17-year-old, pondered the children who didn't survive, among them her sister.

"What would have become of them, these millions of Jewish children . . . murdered here or in the ghettos or in other death camps? Would they have become philosophers? Artists? Great scientists? Or perhaps just skilled craftsmen or mothers of families? All I know is that I weep whenever I think of them," she said.

The Auschwitz-Birkenau complex, where about 1.1 million people were murdered, has become the foremost symbol of the Nazi attempt to extinguish European Jewry.

The camp's first victims, however, were Poles. An estimated 75,000 Poles - mainly intellectuals, professionals, priests and members of the underground resistance - were killed as part of the Third Reich's plan to reduce Poland to a slave nation by eliminating its intelligentsia.

Soviet war prisoners, Roma communities and homosexuals also were murdered in Auschwitz-Birkenau, but it was the Jews who were the primary victims. Between February 1942 and January 1945, about 1 million Jews were dispatched to the gas chambers.

As the generation of survivors gradually dies off, Thursday's commemoration took on added meaning.

"In my life I have attended hundreds of regional and international ceremonies, but I do not think there will be another similar to this one," said Wladyslaw Bartoszewski, a former Polish underground fighter, prisoner No. 4427 at Auschwitz, and later Poland's foreign minister.

"The question to be asked of ourselves and the world is: How much of the truth about those horrible experiences of totalitarianism have we managed to pass down to younger generations? Much of it, I believe, but not enough," Bartoszewski said.

As representative of the nation credited with liberating Auschwitz, Russian President Vladimir V. Putin was one of three heads of state to speak at Thursday's ceremony.

"We must firmly and unequivocally say that any attempts to rewrite history and place the killers and their victims . . . on an equal footing are immoral and unacceptable for those people who consider themselves Europeans," Putin said.

The Russian leader made repeated references to "fascist beasts" and "fascist barbarians" and the valor of Soviet soldiers in defeating the Nazis, but in keeping with Soviet orthodoxy, he made no reference to the unique suffering of the Jews.

The Rest

Comment

This is from the Liberals who don't give a fuck about Jews dying from homicide bombers in Israel. Go figure.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
        This is from the Liberals who don't give a fuck about Jews dying from homicide bombers in Israel. Go figure.
        Are you saying that 'cause I send care packages to Hezbollah Terrorists? Yeah, right!! Find a post where I said anything tantamount to that shit for brains! Tell your mail order Filipino wife to "relieve your tension" once in a while BigBlunderBrian! You seem terminally cranky and to have your head firmly imbedded in your sphincter today BigBlunder.

BTW, I love the Fox spin terminology.

Comment

Well...at least he didn't wear tin foil.

Mezro...or oven mitts...
          Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
            Are you saying that 'cause I send care packages to Hezbollah Terrorists? Yeah, right!! Find a post where I said anything tantamount to that shit for brains! Tell your mail order Filipino wife to "relieve your tension" once in a while BigBlunderBrian! You seem terminally cranky and to have your head firmly imbedded in your sphincter today BigBlunder.

BTW, I love the Fox spin terminology.
            Damn Nick, too much time at the computer is making you a tad bit hostile. You need to go get laid. By a woman this time.

Oh Yeah...I'd lend you my mail-order bride catalog but it doesn't have a male section. You hairy ass-pumping homo.
            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Damn Nick, too much time at the computer is making you a tad bit hostile. You need to go get laid. By a woman this time.
              No, people making really ignorant and false comments and a slight hangover are what is making me surley.

Oh Yeah...I'd lend you my mail-order bride catalog but it doesn't have a male section. You hairy ass-pumping homo.
              Then where'd you get a transexual Filipino?:confused:

Comment

You're obvoiusly over compensating for your own insecurities and questionable leanings.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. Most right wingers are in fact closet pole smokers
                Originally posted by Kristy
                Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                Originally posted by cadaverdog
                I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

Originally posted by Mezro
                  Well...at least he didn't wear tin foil.

Mezro...or oven mitts...

No, but he sometimes wears a leash while Lyndie England rides on his back in his secret, undisclosed facility.

Comment

I can't believe there's even an attempt at a story here. Everybody else is wearing a hat for protection.

I mean really, the comments from a fashion writer of the paper? This is gay.
                    Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

This is classic straw grasping. Sounds like a bitchy 8th grader wrote this piece. Did you see what Cheney wore??

Forget the fact that the man showed up for the event.

This article is really sad, yellow journalism has never been so weak.

Comment

Originally posted by diamondD
                        I can't believe there's even an attempt at a story here. Everybody else is wearing a hat for protection.

I mean really, the comments from a fashion writer of the paper? This is gay.
                        No. It's a real issue. Cheney further makes us look like the collective, classless white-trash uncle that comes to grandma's funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdfresh

No, but he sometimes wears a leash while Lyndie England rides on his back in his secret, undisclosed facility.
                          I heard the New World Order starts in Dick's colon.

Mezro...quickly Lyndie invade me like Iraq...
                          Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

As opposed to the clueless, fall in line, dressed the same, think the same group sitting next to him?

It's a moot issue, one not worth the ink being spilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Train
                              As opposed to the clueless, fall in line, dressed the same, think the same group sitting next to him?

It's a moot issue, one not worth the ink being spilled.
                              So why have you posted twice on it?

It's called basic etiquette. If a friend showed up to your wedding in a pair of slightly torn jeans and a T-shirt (which would be me for instance), wouldn't you think he was an asshole? It's about respect and etiquette. This tool doesn't care enough to wear something formal and dignified, it's just one more shredd torn from our creditability.

Besides, half the articles in here are a waste of ink.
                              Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-28-2005, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X