X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Pirates' Chatter 2005

Hey, if the fookin' Detroit Lions can have a chatter thread, well so can the Buccos gosh darnit !!!
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

This would be a very good signing IMO.... Burnitz is no typical ham-n-egger that the Bucs just love to keep hanging on (see Wilson, Craig...)....

Pirates in negotiations with agent to land free-agent slugger Burnitz
    Saturday, January 29, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Pirates are engaged in talks to sign free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz.

General manager Dave Littlefield contacted Burnitz's agent, Howard Simon, two weeks ago and has been in touch frequently since then. Simon declined yesterday to characterize the negotiations but acknowledged that the Pirates are a team for his client.

"We're having some talks, but that's about all I want to say," Simon said. "You always have a positive reaction when a team is interested in your player."

Burnitz, 35, is coming off a rebound season in which he batted .283 with 37 home runs and 110 RBIs for the Colorado Rockies. He hit 24 of those home runs in the thin air of Coors Field. A left-handed hitter, he has a .254 average and 275 home runs in 12 major-league seasons.

His pay dropped to $1.25 million last season after he had two down years, but his strong showing last season emboldened him to decline an option for 2005 worth $3 million and try free agency.

He shopped himself to several of the major leagues' highest spenders and was asking for two years at $5 million per, but that price could be falling.

Burnitz had been in talks with the Arizona Diamondbacks and Houston Astros, but those broke off earlier this month. Now, it is thought that only the Pirates, Chicago Cubs and Tampa Bay Devil Rays are pursuing Burnitz. Simon would not divulge which other teams are talking to him.

Littlefield has said that he would prefer to acquire a right-handed power bat at first base or a corner outfield position, either through trade or free agency. But he has not ruled out getting a left-handed bat if circumstances warranted.

Burnitz, a solid if unspectacular defensive performer, has played left or right field most of his career, but he spent 69 games in center last season and would prefer to stay there. The Pirates are sure to start Matt Lawton in right and could use Jason Bay in left or center. The other outfield spot is open.

The Pirates have $29.29 million committed to the 12 players signed for the coming season, minus an unknown portion of Lawton's $7.25 million salary that will be paid by the Cleveland Indians. If the final 13 players on the major-league roster are paid close to the minimum salary of $316,000, the total payroll would be $33.4 million minus the Lawton portion.

The team has projected that the payroll would end up close to $40 million, which would appear to leave Littlefield enough room to fulfill his wish list of a power bat and another starting pitcher.

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
      • Dec 2003

About fucking time McClatchy opens his cheap-ass mouth.... The other small market teams need to join the party....

Owners disappoint Pirates' McClatchy
      Baseball salary binge irks him
      Saturday, January 29, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There was a time, Kevin McClatchy will admit, when he thought it best to keep quiet while Major League Baseball owners increased players' salaries exponentially year after year.

That time, apparently, is over.

Speaking in emphatic terms at the Pirates' annual media luncheon, McClatchy, the team's managing general partner, said he was "very disappointed in the other owners" for their spending surge this offseason and for the damaging effect he predicted it will have on his and other low-revenue franchises.

"I don't know what happened, if they drank some funny water, but they all decided they were back on the binge," he said. "And, you know, the tough thing about it, it just hurts the industry."

He expressed surprise at many of the contracts, adding, "Some of the signings -- and I'm not going to name names -- are ridiculous. ... At best."

MLB's current labor agreement was ratified before the 2002 season, and it initially resulted in a cooling of player salaries. From 2003 to 2004, the average salary dropped 2.5 percent, from $2.37 million to $2.31 million. It was the first decrease since 1995 and the third since records first were kept in 1967.

The freeze ended this winter with a flurry of dollars aimed at free agents.

The highest-priced contracts still were given out by the wealthiest teams, but those are not the ones that have raised the most eyebrows within the game. Rather, it is those handed out by teams that usually are low spenders.

Among the highlights:

The Florida Marlins, trying to draw public support for a new stadium, signed first baseman Carlos Delgado for four years and $52 million. Their payroll will top $60 million for the first time. Delgado is coming off his worst season in seven years. Baltimore Orioles owner Peter Angelos called the Delgado signing an indication that "fiscal insanity" was back in baseball.

The Cincinnati Reds, operating in a market similar to Pittsburgh's, signed left-hander Eric Milton for three years and $25.5 million after he gave up 43 home runs last season, one every 4.7 innings.

The Arizona Diamondbacks, documented to be $200 million in debt, signed pitcher Russ Ortiz to four years at $33 million after he won two of his final 10 starts last season, then signed third baseman Troy Glaus to four years at $45 million months after he had shoulder surgery.

"When somebody goes out and pays an average pitcher $7 million a year, then anybody who's an average pitcher says they need $7 million a year," McClatchy said. "That makes it very difficult."

Of teams spending while in debt, he said, "What you don't want to see is some of these guys spend themselves into bankruptcy. That becomes a liability on all of us. I'm not sure some of these people are writing checks with money they necessarily have."

The New York Yankees' payroll will top $200 million and represent a record in professional sports. The Pirates' payroll is expected to be at $40 million, among the lowest in the game. They have yet to sign a free agent to a major-league contract this offseason, choosing to wait until players' prices go down.

The Pirates have benefited from the labor agreement, as increased income from revenue sharing and a luxury tax brings in more than $15 million annually. But McClatchy said that income, while welcome, cannot keep pace with the increase in player salaries.

McClatchy supported MLB's current labor agreement, but he made clear that he plans to take a more aggressive stance when it expires after the 2006 season. He serves on MLB's executive council and long-range labor committee.

"I think, as we go toward a new agreement, there's going to have to be some form of constraint because these guys can't control themselves," he said. "I know it sounds a little harsh, and I'm criticizing my other owners, but that's the way it is. I'm tired of other people affecting the marketplace and making it more challenging for small-market teams."

He paused and added, "I'm not sure if they knew it, but they may have created a hawk."

McClatchy reiterated his support of the National Hockey League owners who currently are locking out their players in an attempt to implement a salary cap similar to those used in the National Football League and National Basketball Association.

In the past, MLB has had difficulty forming unity in its ownership ranks on labor issues. But McClatchy said he sensed that is changing and that more owners are in favor of controlling salaries.

"I've been talking to a lot of owners, and a lot of us are concerned," he said. "And we're going to speak up."

Officials at MLB headquarters in New York did not respond to a request for comment on McClatchy's remarks.

Comment

• redblkwht
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Really wouldnt mind the Pirates in th hunt..I dig the coach alot.
        He's all class.

EUAS

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

You're on your own with that one bro, I think McClendon is a fucking idiot...

Can't manage his pitching staff worth a shit...

Afraid to bench his starters....

Makes shitty decisions nearly every game...

Besides that, yeah, he's great....

Comment

• High Life Man
            Commando
            • Jan 2004

Plus he's been there for what, like 17 years?

Brew-brew-BREWERS!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
              • Dec 2003

No, he's only been there since 2000, I believe...

Just seems like 17....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Byrnes would be a nice addition, let's hope the don't give up the farm for him though...

Pirates step up pursuit of Byrnes

By Joe Rutter
                TRIBUNE-REVIEW
                Saturday, February 19, 2005

BRADENTON, Fla. -- An already crowded outfield situation could get even more jumbled for the Pirates in the near future.
                It is believed the team has stepped up its pursuit of Oakland Athletics left fielder Eric Byrnes and that a deal could be struck within the next week.

The Pirates apparently have agreed on a list of players, most likely minor-league prospects, from which the Athletics would choose. It is thought the Athletics would get two players in return for giving up Byrnes, a 29-year-old right-handed hitter who batted .283 with 20 homers and 73 RBI last season. He also led the A's with 91 runs scored, 39 doubles and 17 stolen bases.

General manager Dave Littlefield, who has been actively seeking another hitter, already has said he would part with a pitching prospect in order to upgrade an offense that finished 13th in runs scored among National League teams last season.

The Pirates began pursuing Byrnes earlier this month after attempts to sign free-agent outfielder Jeromy Burnitz failed. Byrnes will make $2.2 million this season and he'll get a $25,000 bonus if he is traded. Littlefield, though, has about $4 million remaining in his budget.

If the Pirates complete a trade for Byrnes, they could move Jason Bay to center field and use Matt Lawton or Craig Wilson in right, depending on whether Daryle Ward starts at first base.

Even without Byrnes, the Pirates' outfield situation is complicated. Tike Redman and Rob Mackowiak are in the center field equation, with Redman trying to hold onto his starting job.

"As we speak right now, it's his job to lose," manager Lloyd McClendon said Friday.

McClendon didn't discount using Bay in center field "from time to time" this spring.

McClendon also admitted he'll have difficulty finding playing time for everyone.

"Those are nice problems to have and we hope those are the kind of problems we have," he said.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

I like Byrnes at this point...better than Burnitz...thing is...I'm hearing lots of talk from the Buccos at this point...and not a lot of Do...

We'll see...

Byrnes would be a good addition...
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

The Buccos should be shooting for Aubrey Huff...I heard a couple of weeks ago...that they were discussing that possibility...

solid player...when healthy...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Pirates' Chatter 2005

Hey, is this thread about Monkey Island?

Cheers! :bottle:

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                        The Buccos should be shooting for Aubrey Huff...I heard a couple of weeks ago...that they were discussing that possibility...

solid player...when healthy...
                        From what I heard the Rays were asking for a helluva lot, and talk died down quickly after that....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

They are asking for a starter?

Isn't that what the Pirates are offering?

What the snag is...is Huff making a cheap 4.5 mil this year...

and an expensive 6.8 next year...

but he's a better all around player than Byrnes and Burnitz...and would pay the extra money for him...

can't figure out WHY the DRays want to dump him...

I'd be shopping Baldelli...who brings a certain luster since he can play CF...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Last time I checked they wanted Zach Duke, who's gonna be a stud in at least AAA this year, and another player....

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

"gonna be..."

famous last words...

Comment

Working...