PDA

View Full Version : Do Dave , and Ed really need A Major record label?

IMFUCKINPISSED
01-29-2005, 02:42 PM
If they decided to work together and make an album could they do it on there own label ; still selling massive amounts of albums, and support a full blown tour?
Like Satriani does on his own label "Strange Beautiful Music"
Why do they need Warner Brothers?
Sounds like Warner Brothers would Beg for them to come back , if Dave , and Ed made there own label, and put out some more Great Music?

lms2
01-29-2005, 03:29 PM
I think a lot of that would depend on the quality of the music they put out. They are both well known enough that they don't need a "brand name" label to sell music... but the fans have been shit on enough that they ain't gonna buy it just because it is there. Or would they?

Dave IS VH
01-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by IMFUCKINPISSED
If they decided to work together and make an album could they do it on there own label ; still selling massive amounts of albums, and support a full blown tour?
Like Satriani does on his own label "Strange Beautiful Music"
Why do they need Warner Brothers?
Sounds like Warner Brothers would Beg for them to come back , if Dave , and Ed made there own label, and put out some more Great Music?

If Dave got back with Van Halen it would be "HUGE", Warner Brothers would want a piece of the action because it would be money in the bank.

A reunion with the original members of Van Halen is what everyone has been waiting 20 years for, only to be disappointed with Spammy blowing chunks on stage.

academic punk
01-29-2005, 07:19 PM
It's a good question: whatever you think of someone like Ani DiFranco, because she set up her own record label (Righteous Babe)she makes three times the money on her albums that The Rolling Stones (as an example, because they have an enormously beneficial contract with Virgin Records) see on theirs.

Van Halen could set up thier own label, and figure out their own cost-effective distribution network (As Ani did and does).

It might mean losing some publicity, PR and distribution opportunities, but whether x covers the cost of y is what it comes down to (does seliing 500,000 independently generate greater net profit than selling 1.5 million with Warner? is it worth getting those extra million record buyers, even if it means less immediate money in our pockets)

Then again, I think the question is ultimately moot: in the very unlikely event that they reunited, I believe it would just be a tour, period. No new recordings, b/c the tour generates more profit, and is also far less work. (in the past, the new record would generate the publicity for the tour, which they wouldn't need, and with the advent of so-called piracy, new albums have a tougher and tougher time selling.

(but a box set...that's another story!)

IMFUCKINPISSED
01-30-2005, 08:31 AM
I was actually thinking Only Dave , and Ed with a different Bass player /Drummer recording an album , and with there own combined assets marketing/ promoting the record. Then do a tour.
I personally think any new Dave/Ed material would get Lots of Air Play.
It could possibly work without the other two trouble makers in the band. and They could still pick up some big names to fill those slots on a tour , IF Dave , could get Ed off the sauce , and then start writing /playing together.

Nickdfresh
01-30-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by academic punk
It's a good question: whatever you think of someone like Ani DiFranco, because she set up her own record label (Righteous Babe)she makes three times the money on her albums that The Rolling Stones (as an example, because they have an enormously beneficial contract with Virgin Records) see on theirs.

Van Halen could set up thier own label, and figure out their own cost-effective distribution network (As Ani did and does).

It might mean losing some publicity, PR and distribution opportunities, but whether x covers the cost of y is what it comes down to (does seliing 500,000 independently generate greater net profit than selling 1.5 million with Warner? is it worth getting those extra million record buyers, even if it means less immediate money in our pockets)

Then again, I think the question is ultimately moot: in the very unlikely event that they reunited, I believe it would just be a tour, period. No new recordings, b/c the tour generates more profit, and is also far less work. (in the past, the new record would generate the publicity for the tour, which they wouldn't need, and with the advent of so-called piracy, new albums have a tougher and tougher time selling.

(but a box set...that's another story!)

Ani is the darling of the local media here and she is a tremendously hard working entrepreneur and community activist. But running your own label and maintaining a career seems to be a difficult, time consuming process. She also just tours with a very small ensemble/backup band and her acoustic guitar and skips the rock -n- roll pyrotechnics. So her tours are far less complicated.

I don't see Ed or Dave having the motivation to start a label at this point in their careers. They already have money and probably wouldn't what to risk it in a shaky, time consuming venture at best while trying put on a rock and roll extravaganza.

lms2
01-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I don't see Ed or Dave having the motivation to start a label at this point in their careers. They already have money and probably wouldn't what to risk it in a shaky, time consuming venture at best while trying put on a rock and roll extravaganza.

I can. Dave has said the music business is his life. Age has a way of cathcing up with you, but producing would give them a chance to still remain active in the industry, remain an influence to musicians, and not have to bust their ass touring all the damn time.

The magic is in the mix... could they work their magic mixing someone elses shit?

sweetTITS
01-30-2005, 09:09 PM
What the FUCK!!!!!! Ed wrote his best shit drunk you pussy!!!! Why all of a sudden everyone cares that eddie is fucken drunk? DRINK ON EDWARD!!! fuck these little bitches telling you not to get fucked up. These guys probably couldn't even listen to a van halen record cuz their parents won't let them... Drink MILK you bitch!!!! and listen to bon jovi you fag.

Nickdfresh
01-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sweetTITS
What the FUCK!!!!!! Ed wrote his best shit drunk you pussy!!!! Why all of a sudden everyone cares that eddie is fucken drunk? DRINK ON EDWARD!!! fuck these little bitches telling you not to get fucked up. These guys probably couldn't even listen to a van halen record cuz their parents won't let them... Drink MILK you bitch!!!! and listen to bon jovi you fag.

sweetTITS
01-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I don't understand what the fuck age has to do with van halen's success....UMMMM, fucken rolling stones, aerosmith, clapton, kiss, ozzy...they are all timeless. if they write good music, it will sell. fuck how old they are! why is van halen the only band that is "over the hill"?

Nickdfresh
01-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by sweetTITS
I don't understand what the fuck age has to do with van halen's success....UMMMM, fucken rolling stones, aerosmith, clapton, kiss, ozzy...they are all timeless. if they write good music, it will sell. fuck how old they are! why is van halen the only band that is "over the hill"?

Who the fuck are you talking to? Are you responding to this thread? 'Cause your comments are completely unrelated.

Big Train
01-31-2005, 01:56 AM
I think for them it makes no sense to start a label. Ani Difrano is a totally different story. She sells to a totally niche audience and can fufill all of the functions with her little operation. CVH would sell in a week what she would sell in two years. THe logistics of distribution and promotion alone would be such as hassle as to make it not worth it.

If it were for their individual projects it might make more sense to have a individual label with national distribution. Labels like Magna Carta and Sanctuary exist for that purpose.

katie
01-31-2005, 08:08 AM
Can't see that happenning.
DLR started his label in 98' for the DLR Band CD and straight away came up against distribution problems.
Plus you would would have to get local & national pluggers on board then there's tv promo and press to deal with.............
This all needs organising and you know who would fuck it up everytime? yes ALEX!

For ego's sake WB would be the way, but i think sancturay could do a good job.