PDA

View Full Version : Achtung Baby.

CVHfan
01-29-2005, 04:28 PM
I am listening to it now after having bought it today. It is a good album. Someone on here said that it was their favorite next to the six-pack. I have generally liked the earlier stuff, espcially "The Joshua Tree" but this is pretty good. Really good. Exciting in a very different way.

Atomic_Rob
01-29-2005, 08:44 PM
I love Achtung Baby, so many great songs on there, one of the my favourite albums of all time.

academic punk
01-29-2005, 08:51 PM
What is hard to have the perspective on it for someone only buying it today is what a complete left-turn it was for the world's biggest band.

Before, they were always sort of subdued, sincere, and serious. Suddenly, you've got this ironic, weird, multi-colored beast that's laying out funk, hard rock, and bizarre noise explosions that are sometimes out-of-tune and off-key (Bono's voice cracking on "One" would've been UNTHINKABLE beforehand).

They took a REAL chance with that one. If the music wasn't so good, it very easily could have been a complete disaster.

Don't listen to it much anymore, but I really do believe that it doesn't get the credit it deserves as preparing mainstream radio for the likes of Nirvana and the Pixies.

ELVIS
01-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Crap

CVHfan
01-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
What is hard to have the perspective on it for someone only buying it today is what a complete left-turn it was for the world's biggest band.

Before, they were always sort of subdued, sincere, and serious. Suddenly, you've got this ironic, weird, multi-colored beast that's laying out funk, hard rock, and bizarre noise explosions that are sometimes out-of-tune and off-key (Bono's voice cracking on "One" would've been UNTHINKABLE beforehand).

They took a REAL chance with that one. If the music wasn't so good, it very easily could have been a complete disaster.

Don't listen to it much anymore, but I really do believe that it doesn't get the credit it deserves as preparing mainstream radio for the likes of Nirvana and the Pixies.

It reminds me of how 1991 was a really interesting year for music. Things as they were got turned on their heads that year.

ELVIS
01-29-2005, 09:45 PM
..and it sucked...

rustoffa
01-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Is that the one where bono had the crazy shades?

I remember that video where they were playing live on a rooftop....now, in retrospect, I'm envisioning Blackhawk helicopters swooping down and blowing it to smithereens like in the movie.

CVHfan
01-29-2005, 11:08 PM
That was the video for "Where The Streets Have No Name" off of "The Joshua Tree".

David Lee Rocks
01-30-2005, 02:39 AM
thats my favorite U2 album

DLR7884
01-31-2005, 09:55 AM
"Your so cruel" is the hidden gem on that album.

DLR7884
Great track, great album.

Vanstonica
01-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by CVHfan
I am listening to it now after having bought it today. It is a good album. Someone on here said that it was their favorite next to the six-pack. I have generally liked the earlier stuff, espcially "The Joshua Tree" but this is pretty good. Really good. Exciting in a very different way.

I was the one who said it was my favorite album after the six pack. I bought it when I was in high school, aminly because I dug "Mysterious Ways". It really took about a year for the rest of the album to grow on me.

flappo
01-31-2005, 03:57 PM
i don't GET U2 at all

seems as if they think they're a lot cooler than they actually are

and apple should be sued for making that fucking special edition ipod

why waste it on these assholes ?