PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest career mistake David Lee Roth has ever made?

Wolverine
02-01-2005, 10:22 AM
Leaving vh in 85 of course. But there are others
1. doing the sam and dave tour
2. recording CFTH while still in VH
3. doing the vegas shows
4. changing his image when he did YFLM
5. Producing Skyscraper which leads to Sheehan's departure
6. being used by the bros in 96 and returning to vh
7 wanting copy songs on Diver Down which leads to an angered EVH to build 5150.
8. never making up a follow up cd to the 1998 DLR BAND style...DLRBAND II
What do you guys think??

DLR7884
02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Curious God--

I say #8.

He didn't tour until the year after the album was released and only played one song off of the album....then came the colossal pile of crap known as "Diamond Dave."

DLR7884
Dave has really played his cards akwardly since 1996, if you ask me.

Carmine
02-01-2005, 10:37 AM
For me it was not capitalizing on the 96 fiasco. Dave had the world by the cajones then...that was THE time to recatapult himself back to the top...stay in the public eye...promote the hell out of a new kick ass rock cd....tour......everything he is doing now..less the new kickass rock cd.....

Bad Muthafucker
02-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Hmmm....I think I'm going to have to go with #5, although #8 is an extremely close second. If Dave would have just spent the money to hire a producer for Skyscraper, rather than trying to pinch pennies and do the duty himself, perhaps Sheehan would not have left. Sheehan's leaving begun a downward spiral of the EEAS band disbanding. After he left, it's like the other guys kind of took a cue from him that when you're not happy with the situation, you can just bail. Dave should have done what ever it took to keep those 4 guys together. Adding Brett Tuggle was fine, but he should have kept Vai, Sheehan, & Bissonette at all costs. If those guys were still together, I personally think that Dave would be going strong to this very day.

Vanstonica
02-01-2005, 10:49 AM
I don't think the Dave and Sam tour was a mistake. The show here in Atlanta sold out. As much as I dislike Sammy, they gave the fans what they wanted to see and hear while the sisters were twiddling their thumbs.

I think the biggest mistake Dave made was playing almost exclusively the old VH catologue and ignoring some of his solo stuff.

When he toured with Bad Company, I was a little miffed that he had just put out the DLR cd, but he didn't play anything from it live.

Carmine
02-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by bad_muthafucker
Hmmm....I think I'm going to have to go with #5, although #8 is an extremely close second. If Dave would have just spent the money to hire a producer for Skyscraper, rather than trying to pinch pennies and do the duty himself, perhaps Sheehan would not have left. Sheehan's leaving begun a downward spiral of the EEAS band disbanding. After he left, it's like the other guys kind of took a cue from him that when you're not happy with the situation, you can just bail. Dave should have done what ever it took to keep those 4 guys together. Adding Brett Tuggle was fine, but he should have kept Vai, Sheehan, & Bissonette at all costs. If those guys were still together, I personally think that Dave would be going strong to this very day.

Is that really why Billy left? Cuz Dave and Vai produced Skyscraper? Penny Pinching? I mean he hired Bob Rock to do ALAE....sound wise....Sky and ALAE are the 2 best IMO....

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Got to go with #6 myself I think Dave should have and could have used that to his advantage.

Mishar_McLeud
02-01-2005, 11:51 AM
I think if he didn't sue bros in 2003 he might have been back with VH. Anyway this was a mistake 'cause he gained nothing and only worsened his relationships with Halens.

guwapo_rocker
02-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Vegas.

Bob_R
02-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Leaving VH was the worst mistake. Every other option, except #2, was a by product of leaving VH.

Fabulous Shadow
02-01-2005, 12:32 PM
LEAVING. Period!

DlocRoth
02-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Carmine Raguzza.
Is that really why Billy left? Cuz Dave and Vai produced Skyscraper? Penny Pinching? I mean he hired Bob Rock to do ALAE....sound wise....Sky and ALAE are the 2 best IMO....

Yeah, and didn't Nile Rodgers produce YFLM?

academic punk
02-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Skyscraper. Far too much of a left turn after the full-on rock of EEAS, and just a plain old crappy album in general.

It has some moments, but I think it was his attempt to do his version of his old band's 5150.

Parting ways with Pete Angelus (the co-director of all Roth videos pre-Skyscraper) also hurt tremendously.

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Did Dave leave or the sisters refuse to work with him anymore I've never been clear on that

Mezro
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Skycrapper.

Mezro...he needed a balls to the walls, all out rock CD..not some sugary, synth rock crap...

guwapo_rocker
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
Did Dave leave or the sisters refuse to work with him anymore I've never been clear on that

Dave split when Ed wouldn't get out of bed to make a new album.

Mr Badguy
02-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Touring as a CVH tribute band, like he`s doing now.

He should have more faith in his own material.

guwapo_rocker
02-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Mr Badguy
Touring as a CVH tribute band, like he`s doing now.

He should have more faith in his own material.

CVH is his material!!!

Mr Badguy
02-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
CVH is his material!!!

Yeah!

But look at Van Hagar, they turned their back on CVH.

So should Dave.

He uses it as a crutch and it makes him too lazy to write killer new stuff.

That kinda shit is for Ki$$.

guwapo_rocker
02-01-2005, 02:42 PM
If I wrote some of the best songs in rock history,

I wouldn't stop playing them!!!

Dave has a lot of good solo material as well, so why NOT

play both.

Van Hagar doesn't do more CVH because Hagar sucks at it!!

Carmine
02-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Yeah, and didn't Nile Rodgers produce YFLM?

dont know...I really didnt like that disc at all.

DLR7884
02-01-2005, 02:49 PM
dont know...I really didnt like that disc at all.

YFLM was still 100 times better than Diamond Dave.

DLR7884
I don't even count that as a DLR album....it's shit.

Carmine
02-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884

I thought the same dude....when I first heard it, now I love it! Sorrily, I have tried and tried with YFLM....aint happening.

katie
02-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DLR7884

DLR7884

Just another left turn that's all.

DLR_EngineRoom
02-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by The Godfather
Leaving vh in 85 of course.

There. Right there. That's it. And even that's not a complete mistake.

Big Troubles
02-01-2005, 07:34 PM
3. doing the vegas shows
What do you guys think??

None of those are mistakes. sorry man, but I think Dave was "ousted" from VH. He didn't leave. Sam and Dave tour did Dave proud, and even he will tell you he'd do it all over again. he made Sam look like a tool. CFTH was a breakthrough in the music industry for it's style and video creativity. Returning to VH in 96 made him alot of coin, whether the bros. shit on him or not. he still gots to gets paid. ;) DD is a great fucking album and it shouldn't have angered Ed, since DD was the first album to pop them thru to main stream radio rock and reached #3 on the album charts and sold more copies than fair Warning, yielding two very strong radio hits, Dancin' in Street and OPW.
And the style of DLR Band isn't gone, it took a break, 'Dave being Dave'...

No Dave's BIGGEST mistake was getting busted for $10 worth shitty weed. :( The main stream media was pretty cruel to Dave.

squib
02-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Leaving vh in 85, of course WAS NOT A MISTAKE The music behind him was changing to what it became, the increased tention lead to the breakup. Leaving on top is most often better than hanging on too long. In other words it's better to burn out then fade away

1. doing the sam and dave tour wasn't a mistake either, that tour was the finale that may never come, better to see Dave and the other guy sing their own songs than the other guy signing Dave's

2. recording CFTH while still in VH was not a mistake, he kept the band informed of every move, (unlike Ed's side projects.) CFTH was not intended to lead to a solo career, but the band wasn't playing and Dave needed to keep busy, band was not playing so he made a video for california girls, band was not playing so he continued with gigalo

3. doing the vegas shows didn't turn out to be a success, but Steven Speilburg did make Joe vs. the Volcano NOT EVERYTHING WORKS

4. Dave changed his image when he did YFLM in 1994, so he wouldn't be dressed like it was still 1984.

5. Producing Skyscraper which leads to Sheehan's departure, lwhich lead to other musical directions, which lead back to the DLR Band - fine with me.

6. trusting the bros in 96 and returning to vh lead to two final songs which were VH's best since Dave left

WHO CARES WHAT PISSES ED OFF???
WHO CARES WHAT PISSES ED OFF ???

8. DAVE will make up a follow up cd to the 1998 DLR BAND style...DLRBAND II - MORE TO COME
That's what I think

dave_is_vh
02-01-2005, 09:20 PM
3. doing the vegas shows
What do you guys think??

You are clueless. Dave has only made two mistakes in his life! They are:
1 Leaving Van Halen
2 Naming his band after the Van Halen brothers (which in turn gave the Van Halen brothers ownership of the brand that Dave created)
Why does anyone give a damn about Sheehan? He is just a frustrated guitar player. Dave has always been about Dave and always will be. Who cares who is in the background - especially if it is a bass player!

Wolverine
02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by dave_is_vh
You are clueless. Dave has only made two mistakes in his life! They are:
1 Leaving Van Halen
2 Naming his band after the Van Halen brothers (which in turn gave the Van Halen brothers ownership of the brand that Dave created)
Why does anyone give a damn about Sheehan? He is just a frustrated guitar player. Dave has always been about Dave and always will be. Who cares who is in the background - especially if it is a bass player!
dude, those are actual events in Dave's life. I never said all those were mistakes. I just gave a list as to what some of daves fans might percieve or choose as some of the wrong decisions in daves career. thats all

the curious god

light 'em up!
02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
I must admit, everytime I hear Skyscraper, I can't help but think what could have been had it not been so poorly produced. Some of those songs were the bomb!

The 'Diamond Dave' cd was a turd.

I think his best CD was DLRBand. Why he didn't explode back onto the scene with that, considering how bad VH3 was, is beyond me. Making indy records is a tough biz I guess.

light 'em up!
02-01-2005, 10:06 PM
The pot bust should have been on the list. That was a big mistake.

Big Troubles
02-02-2005, 12:03 AM
absolutely. The pot bust is the only considerable mistake, because as fans we can't decide what was/is a mistake by something Dave did or didn't do. All the things listed that were considered mistakes by some, Dave himself, considers them to be personal milestones. Don't judge a man by what makes him happy. Be happy- he's happy. And he is. He is forever going to be happy and the host of the party.

stringfelowhawk
02-02-2005, 01:27 AM
I can't really say if he's made any career mistakes because while I may not have made the same choices as he did, (if I were in his shoes) he is Diamond Dave and as a big enough fan to know his personality, I'm fairly sure even what someone else may consider a mistake he considers another opportunity that didn't work out but led to a different one which did.

In that context, is anything he's ever done careerwise really a mistake or forthought for another opportunity?

Leaving VH wasn't really a mistake IMO. Would "Yankee Rose" be on 5150? I think not. More people may have bought that album instead of EEAS but a majority of those buyers thought they were getting a cool, fun record with a wildman that could make you laugh and totally rock doing it. They didn't expect to be privy to a soap opera album that would have been better background music on "The Bold And The Beautiful". This is why they stopped selling records. Every new album increased the cheese by a ratio of 3:1.

And this is just my HO but after reading and watching MANY interviews over the years by both sides and reading CFTH I think being an active person like Dave, he can't sit still long and got bored waiting on Ed which is what Ed and Al wanted. I'm just basing this on what I've read and seen. I think they wanted to make him wait knowing he couldn't which as soon as he had a side project going they could use that as an excuse to say he quit and hire another singer. They basically just tried to out wait Dave. Finally when he got tired of it and went up and discussed it with them (from his book) all was good. Tears were shed, promises made and he assumed they really meant it. Of course he should have worn a steel plate under his shirt I.E. Clint Eastwood, but I think he truely believed them and took them at their word only to find out later that they hired some dude they cast as a "Janis Joplin" knockoff in some movie called "The Rose". Here they were just verbally killing him in the media and he was being a very wise man by ignoring it for a long time. Then said knockoff started doing it too. At that point, for someone you don't know taking verbal swipes at you with "he said, she said" knowledge, he had to bust his ass with a verbal beat down of his own. As he himself is so fond of saying, "The most interesting thing about Sam Hagar is David Lee Roth"! To me that says it all. And he's right. After all this time, I've noticed media outlets that turned on him back then have started to see they were duped by Groucho and Fucko Marx and have started to see Dave as the class act he's always been.

Back when this site was down, I was google'n around for reviews of Dave albums and VH etc. and they were not so kind but lately those same reviews have been re-written to say, "Regardless of what you have read in the past. David Lee Roth was the heart and soul of Van Halen. We he left (or was fired), the attitude and the fun went with him". I believe that was from Launch. I could be mistaken, I'm advancing in age here waiting on a Van Halen reunion.

light 'em up!
02-02-2005, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
absolutely. The pot bust is the only considerable mistake, because as fans we can't decide what was/is a mistake by something Dave did or didn't do.

Come to think of it, the pot bust is the only time I've ever seen Dave somber in front of a camera, as news crews tried to get his reaction right after he was released fro jail.

Yeah, the pot bust was huge, because his album sales began plummeting downward right after that.

Bad Muthafucker
02-02-2005, 11:16 AM

Yup. Billy left because of the production....AKA the bass being way too soft for his liking. Listen to that album again. You can hardly hear the bass. And Vai left because he didn't like the overall sound of what they were doing. Dave says that Steve "just hated" the song "Just Like Paradise." He says that Steve didn't want to go in the musical direction that Dave wanted to go in...which was more traditional 4-bar bombastic arena rock. Vai wanted to go off into his own little world of unusual chord structures and time signatures and explore.

And yes, I'd call having himself producing "Penny Pinching" because he saved all that extra money on having to hire a producer. And then after he lost Vai and Sheehan, I think he realized what a mistake it was to do that, so he then figured that he'd better get his act together and just spend the fucking money and hire a real producer. Which is why ALAE and YLFM have someone other than Dave himself doing the producing. Unfortunately, I think it was a bit too late as Dave's popularity had already dwindled by that point. But you can't blame a man for trying.

And Dave is absolutely NOT above trying to save some extra cash. He even says so in his book. How many videos did he shoot in black & white? He admits in his book that it was simply a cheaper method. And do you really think that all of that whiskey that the ALAE devils were pissing was the name brand Jack Daniels? Hell no. He also admits that in his book as well. To quote Dave, "Purely for budgetary reasons, there are other forms of that very beverage that can be substituted." All he did was buy Jack Daniels once and save the bottle. From then on, he'd buy the cheaper, bottom-shelf whiskey and just pour it into the empty Jack bottle backstage where nobody could see him. Then, he'd go out where the people could see him to pour it into the reservoirs of the devil statues. Neat, huh?

Carmine
02-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Yup. Billy left because of the production....AKA the bass being way too soft for his liking. Listen to that album again. You can hardly hear the bass. And Vai left because he didn't like the overall sound of what they were doing. Dave says that Steve "just hated" the song "Just Like Paradise." He says that Steve didn't want to go in the musical direction that Dave wanted to go in...which was more traditional 4-bar bombastic arena rock. Vai wanted to go off into his own little world of unusual chord structures and time signatures and explore.

And yes, I'd call having himself producing "Penny Pinching" because he saved all that extra money on having to hire a producer. And then after he lost Vai and Sheehan, I think he realized what a mistake it was to do that, so he then figured that he'd better get his act together and just spend the fucking money and hire a real producer. Which is why ALAE and YLFM have someone other than Dave himself doing the producing. Unfortunately, I think it was a bit too late as Dave's popularity had already dwindled by that point. But you can't blame a man for trying.

And Dave is absolutely NOT above trying to save some extra cash. He even says so in his book. How many videos did he shoot in black & white? He admits in his book that it was simply a cheaper method. And do you really think that all of that whiskey that the ALAE devils were pissing was the name brand Jack Daniels? Hell no. He also admits that in his book as well. To quote Dave, "Purely for budgetary reasons, there are other forms of that very beverage that can be substituted." All he did was buy Jack Daniels once and save the bottle. From then on, he'd buy the cheaper, bottom-shelf whiskey and just pour it into the empty Jack bottle backstage where nobody could see him. Then, he'd go out where the people could see him to pour it into the reservoirs of the devil statues. Neat, huh?

I knew all that cept for Sheehan leaving. I thought there was some awesome bass on Skyscraper! And my friggin new lab puppie ate my copy of Crazy from the Heat, yesterday! Bastard!

Bad Muthafucker
02-02-2005, 11:55 AM
The bass PLAYING was totally awesome on Skyscraper. But thing is, it's at a very low volume. Which I guess kinda insulted Sheehan. The volume of the bass is nowhere near what it was on EEAS. Poor Billy.

Carmine
02-02-2005, 12:32 PM
The bass PLAYING was totally awesome on Skyscraper. But thing is, it's at a very low volume. Which I guess kinda insulted Sheehan. The volume of the bass is nowhere near what it was on EEAS. Poor Billy.

Yeah..wah....still a great album!

Wolverine
02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
the pot bust is not a career move, is wasn't done intentionally.. dave was in that park several times before, buying his so called" jamaican bunk".

katie
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
I thought the pot bust was GREAT publicity.
You could not but that amount of exposure worldwide.
Hey In Rock N Roll as long as they spell the name right, all publicity is GREAT publicity.

Big Troubles
02-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by katie
I thought the pot bust was GREAT publicity.
You could not but that amount of exposure worldwide.
Hey In Rock N Roll as long as they spell the name right, all publicity is GREAT publicity.

today, getting busted for pot can work for you. Depending on who you are. Didn't work out too good for Whitney Houston. :D

I still say him getting busted was the only mistake he made. (not smoking it-getting caught of course) ;)

spmusicplyr
02-02-2005, 09:00 PM
why does everyone hate skyscraoer?

i dig it

lms2
02-02-2005, 09:10 PM
I think Dave's biggest career mistake would also be the thing that made him the worlds greatest front man to begin with... he cast himself in a role he was later unable to evolve from.

dave_is_vh
02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
First of all, who the fuck cares that Sheehan left. All he is is a bass player that plays a bass like a guitar sometimes. Lottie fucking da.

I think it is pretty clear that Vai and Sheehan were using Dave as a stepping stone and nothing more. Which is fine. Dave's mistake was a marketing mistake - he made the EEAS band his product, rather than simply making Dave himself the product. As a result some fans were disappointed when Vai and Sheehan left.

And oh yeah by the way in case you are deaf Skyscraper is Dave's greatest CD ever - even better than all the Van Halen CDs.

Vivian Campbell
02-02-2005, 11:21 PM
I thought the band he assembled for the first two albums was his biggest mistake. It’s been well documented that after 1984, Eddie totally scraped the Van Halen formula in favor of the Hagarized brew we all choke on today. While we all fault Eddie long and loud for that decision, Roth also forgot what drove the success of Van Halen when assembling the “Eat Em And Smile” band. Classic Van Halen was all about the non stop energy that resulted from the combination of Dave’s lyrics and personality, Eddie’s wild playing, and Michael Anthony’s amazing back up vocals. The original DLR Band completely failed to compensate for the latter two ingredients. Dave was the master at utilizing a chorus to electify a song, but in thw first two albums the backing vocals are surely lacking. While Steve Vai just didn’t fill the void of Eddie.

If Roth’s original lineup was Matt and Greg Bissonette, Brett Tuggle, and an equivalent to Jason Becker, Dave would not only have stayed in the spot light, but would have matched VH in album sales. That lineup and the album it produced, ALAE, had all the markings of a “Van Halen” record that the previous two albums lacked.

Panamark
02-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Not giving up smoking....

spmusicplyr
02-03-2005, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

he'd still have his voice. i know he still smokes, when i saw him last year i was in front and saw him go off to the side and take a drag when brian young had his solo.

spmusicplyr
02-03-2005, 02:21 AM
First of all, who the fuck cares that Sheehan left. All he is is a bass player that plays a bass like a guitar sometimes. Lottie fucking da.

I think it is pretty clear that Vai and Sheehan were using Dave as a stepping stone and nothing more. Which is fine. Dave's mistake was a marketing mistake - he made the EEAS band his product, rather than simply making Dave himself the product. As a result some fans were disappointed when Vai and Sheehan left.

And oh yeah by the way in case you are deaf Skyscraper is Dave's greatest CD ever - even better than all the Van Halen CDs.

See at least im not the only one that loves skyscraper. It is very intricate and thought out...

Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
I thought the band he assembled for the first two albums was his biggest mistake. It’s been well documented that after 1984, Eddie totally scraped the Van Halen formula in favor of the Hagarized brew we all choke on today. While we all fault Eddie long and loud for that decision, Roth also forgot what drove the success of Van Halen when assembling the “Eat Em And Smile” band. Classic Van Halen was all about the non stop energy that resulted from the combination of Dave’s lyrics and personality, Eddie’s wild playing, and Michael Anthony’s amazing back up vocals. The original DLR Band completely failed to compensate for the latter two ingredients. Dave was the master at utilizing a chorus to electify a song, but in thw first two albums the backing vocals are surely lacking. While Steve Vai just didn’t fill the void of Eddie.

If Roth’s original lineup was Matt and Greg Bissonette, Brett Tuggle, and an equivalent to Jason Becker, Dave would not only have stayed in the spot light, but would have matched VH in album sales. That lineup and the album it produced, ALAE, had all the markings of a “Van Halen” record that the previous two albums lacked.

Dead on. The part about steve hating JLP was taken from his autobiography, but what i dont undetrstand is that if Steve co-produced the album, why does he have such a problem with it? I think ALAE is a step below steves musical ability and would really limit his playabillity. NOt to say that ALAE is simple, i just think steve is too complex for it..he's a nut. he was a perfect fit in zappa's band.

his album "passion and warfare" is great though

Panamark
02-03-2005, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by spmusicplyr
he'd still have his voice. i know he still smokes, when i saw him last year i was in front and saw him go off to the side and take a drag when brian young had his solo.

A lot of people would argue that his smoking has enhanced his bluesier style of singing. Could be true. But smoking fucks most
singers, eventually. I mean why not drop the cigarettes and have
the occasional joint ? Thats gotta be better than continuous
cigarette smoking. (For the record, I smoked for many years)

Regardless, Dave could pull off the reunion still..

Cathedral
02-03-2005, 02:46 AM
I don't get all you people in this thread, it makes a great read, but you are all off the mark.
Dave hasn't made any mistakes by doing what he thought best at the time.

So i'm gonna attack this thread from the other end.

Dave's only mistake will be if he ever rejoins Van Halen given the water that has passed under the bridge.
'96 was one thing, but we all got two new tracks from the original lineup in the process, albeit the last Roth/Halen tracks we'll ever get from them.

No, 2000 was the dealio breaker for me. and then bringing Spammy back to do, what was it, Ed? A nostalgia act on tour?

Fuck them all, and in my view Ed and his lackies were lucky Dave didn't leave sooner. I don't really recall 1984 being all that well recieved at the time it was released.
Then MTV played Jump, and all the future Spam-Pussies got a taste of what was to come.

Some of you may be upset that Dave left back then, but not me, I think he was late in doing so.
And just think of the alternative here, what if Dave had stayed and VH had dried up in '85?

Just remember, while Spam and Ed are butt fucking each other in the studio, Dave's legacy is safe from harm.
Van Hagar does not reflect on Van Halen beyond Ed's mental disability.

Dave made NO mistakes. Ed, Al and Mike did when they let him walk out the door. Now they're stuck in Pop-Rock-Ville, where the men are all pussies and the chicks are easy prey.

spmusicplyr
02-03-2005, 05:25 AM
A lot of people would argue that his smoking has enhanced his bluesier style of singing. Could be true. But smoking fucks most

hey i had to quit smoking cause when i wasnt playing sax in the band, i was singing. all of the coughing and smoke really agrivated my throat and vocal chords, and i found myself not being able to hit notes that i once hit.

Panamark
02-03-2005, 06:26 AM
Something us axemen dont have to worry about ! :)
But hey, I kicked the cigs years ago. Dont miss them now.
Its not that hard to give em up now, chuck on a nicotine patch
and just drink more...

Doesnt mean you cant have a scoob once in a while..

Vivian Campbell
02-03-2005, 11:59 AM

VERY good point. I will never understand singers who smoke. Kind of like a model who cuts herself with razors on a daily basis. You're only destroying your money making device.

spmusicplyr
02-03-2005, 01:41 PM
scoob

Doesnt mean you cant have a scoob once in a while..

is that australian for a joint?

Panamark
02-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Actually I thought Scoobie was an Americanism for joint ?? :)

Yeah, I meant joint.

GAR
02-03-2005, 03:30 PM
Letting Terry Kilgore leave was definately a new career-low..

Big Troubles
02-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Cathedral
I don't get all you people in this thread, it makes a great read, but you are all off the mark.
Dave hasn't made any mistakes by doing what he thought best at the time.

So i'm gonna attack this thread from the other end.

Dave's only mistake will be if he ever rejoins Van Halen given the water that has passed under the bridge.
'96 was one thing, but we all got two new tracks from the original lineup in the process, albeit the last Roth/Halen tracks we'll ever get from them.

No, 2000 was the dealio breaker for me. and then bringing Spammy back to do, what was it, Ed? A nostalgia act on tour?

Fuck them all, and in my view Ed and his lackies were lucky Dave didn't leave sooner. I don't really recall 1984 being all that well recieved at the time it was released.
Then MTV played Jump, and all the future Spam-Pussies got a taste of what was to come.

Some of you may be upset that Dave left back then, but not me, I think he was late in doing so.
And just think of the alternative here, what if Dave had stayed and VH had dried up in '85?

Just remember, while Spam and Ed are butt fucking each other in the studio, Dave's legacy is safe from harm.
Van Hagar does not reflect on Van Halen beyond Ed's mental disability.

Dave made NO mistakes. Ed, Al and Mike did when they let him walk out the door. Now they're stuck in Pop-Rock-Ville, where the men are all pussies and the chicks are easy prey.

you dont think buying shitty weed in a public park was a mistake? The media laughed their asses off at him. "poor Dave getting busted with $10 worth of crap weed".

Big Troubles
02-03-2005, 05:35 PM

I agree 100%. I quit smoking after 17 yrs of it. Now I smoke the occasional doobie. :D It's all good.

flappo
02-03-2005, 05:41 PM
chris only smokes poles now

Big Troubles
02-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by flappo
chris only smokes poles now

who's chris. Im keith. :D

don't start with me faggy or I'll fucking chase you around this board again and make your little exsistance just a little bit smaller. ;)

spmusicplyr
02-03-2005, 11:45 PM
ok ok ok no fighting i hate when you're reading a thread and halfway through all the entries it gets off topic cause 2 people are fighting and then nothing else gets said about the original topic of the thread.

Big Troubles
02-04-2005, 12:04 AM
well thats not me. Flapoop goes crazy every 3rd full moon or so....

I still stick to what i said originaly. Dave's biggest "fuck up" was getting busted with pot. Everything else he did, he did it, ecause he felt like it was the right choice at the time. Obviously, he did not think buying shitty pot for $10 was a good decision. Even at the the time, no matter how high you are. :confused: Even he said it was a stupid mistake. "if you are gonna get busted for pot, think big, all I got was $10 worth of Jamaican bunk".

Panamark
02-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Dave should have decked Sammy (TKO) whilst the cameras were rolling on the Dave/Spam tour.

Now theres an oppurtunity gone begging.........

Big Troubles
02-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Dave should have decked Sammy (TKO) whilst the cameras were rolling on the Dave/Spam tour.

Now theres an oppurtunity gone begging.........

That would've given Dave a huge publicity boost. Not that he needed one during the tour. Perhaps near the end, he could've decked the fucker and made him cry. ;)

Bad Muthafucker
02-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by spmusicplyr
why does everyone hate skyscraoer?

i dig it

Me too! It's one of those albums where there's no filler tracks. When I listen to it in my car, I end up never skipping any tracks. Except may "Two Fools A Minute".

Bad Muthafucker
02-04-2005, 10:20 AM

I never fucking said I CARE if he left. It's not like I fucking lose sleep over it or anything. The Godfather asked the fucking question and I answered it and then gave an explanation for my answer.

And oh yeah by the way in case you are deaf Skyscraper is Dave's greatest CD ever

I'm not fucking deaf. I can hear just fucking fine. And I don't hear the bass on Skyscraper like I hear it on EEAS and ALAE.

even better than all the Van Halen CDs.

I disagree. It's really really good, but certainly not that good.