PDA

View Full Version : Web Site Claims GI Captured in Iraq

BigBadBrian
02-01-2005, 01:58 PM
Web Site Claims GI Captured in Iraq

Feb 1, 1:51 PM (ET)

By ROBERT H. REID

(AP) This image of what appears to be a captured US soldier was posted on an Iraqi militant website,...

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/thumbnails//IRAQ_SOLDIER.sff_LON128_20050201125054.jpg

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - Iraqi militants claimed in a Web statement Tuesday to have taken an American soldier hostage and threatened to behead him in 72 hours unless the Americans release Iraqi prisoners.

The posting, on a Web site that frequently carried militants' statements, included a photo of what appeared to be an American soldier in desert fatigues seated with his hands tied behind his back.

A gun barrel was pointed at his head, and he is seated in front of a black banner emblazoned with the Islamic profession of faith, "There is no god but God and Muhammad is His prophet."

A U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, Marine Sgt. Salju K. Thomas, said he had no information on the claim but "we are currently looking into it."

A statement posted with the picture suggested the group was holding other soldiers.

"Our mujahadeen heroes of Iraq's Jihadi Battalion were able to capture American military man John Adam after killing a number of his comrades and capturing the rest," said the statement, signed by the "Mujahedeen Brigades."

"God willing, we will behead him if our female and male prisoners are not released from U.S. prisons within the maximum period of 72 hours from the time this statement has been released," the statement said.

The claim, carried on the Web site ansarnet.ws, could not be verified.

More than 180 foreigners have been kidnapped in the past year. At least 10 of them, including three American civilians, remain in the hands of their kidnappers.

The only American soldier known to have been taken hostage is Pfc. Keith M. Maupin, 20, of Batavia, Ohio, who was shown in a video in April being held by militants. Another video aired in June showed what purported to be Maupin's slaying, but the picture was too unclear to confirm it was him and the military still lists him as missing.

Marine Cpl. Wassef Ali Hassoun went missing in Iraq in June and later photos surfaced on Arab television showing him blindfolded with a sword to his head. In July he made his way to the U.S. Embassy in Beirut. Back in the United States, he said he had been captured, but in December he was charged with desertion for the incident.

Sgt Schultz
02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Looks Photoshopped to me.
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050201/capt.lon12802011747.iraq_soldier_lon128.jpg

Nickdfresh
02-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Something about his uniform doesn't look right. I may be wrong, but that doesn't look like an American vest.

Sgt Schultz
02-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Kinda looks like an action figure

Sgt Schultz
02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Something about his uniform doesn't look right. I may be wrong, but that doesn't look like an American vest.

Yes I agree. And the head seems too small for the body. Weird.

ELVIS
02-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Looks real to me...

Nickdfresh
02-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
Kinda looks like an action figure

It almost could be a posed corpse. Something definitely looks weird.

ELVIS
02-01-2005, 04:22 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/toyhead.jpg

:D

ELVIS
02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.drudgereport.com/toy.jpg

:elvis:

Nickdfresh
02-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
http://www.drudgereport.com/toyhead.jpg

:D

Holyshit!

Sgt Schultz
02-01-2005, 04:51 PM
wow, amazing. Makes those douchebags look almost comical.

U.S. Military: No Soldier Missing in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A Web site posted a photograph of what it claimed was a kidnapped U.S. soldier, but doubts were quickly raised about its authenticity and the U.S. military said no soldiers were missing.

A toy manufacturer said the figure in the photo resembled one of its military action figures, originally produced for sale at U.S. bases in Kuwait.

The statement appeared on a Web site often used for posting statements from militants, some of which have proven authentic in the past, and was in the name of a group that has claimed previous kidnappings, the Mujahedeen Brigades.

The Arabic text, however, contained several mispellings and repetitions.

Staff Sgt. Nick Minecci of the U.S. military's press office in Baghdad said "no units have reported anyone missing."

The photo in the posting showed a figure dressed in desert camouflage fatigues, wearing a vest and knee pads and with a gun pointed to its head. All the items are similar to ones that come in a box with the action figure, named "Cody."

The figure in the photo appeared stiff and expressionless, and the statement said he was named "John Adam."

Liam Cusack, of the toy manufacturer Dragon Models USA, inc., said the image of the soldier portrayed in the photo bore a striking resemblance to the African-American version of its "Cody" action figure.

"It is our doll ... to me it definitely looks like it is," Cusack told The Associated Press. "Everything the guy is wearing is exactly what comes with our figure."

He said the figures were ordered by the U.S. military in Kuwait for sale in their bases, "so they would have been in region."

Sgt Schultz
02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
If you are a news organization like AP, wouldn't you think SOMEONE there would perhaps think the image seemed odd? Before they actually ran with the story? I suppose it's all about getting the story out first, to hell with it being true.

Sgt Schultz
02-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I can't take credit for this joke..........................

Let's just hope the Islamic militants don't get their hands on gay Ken:

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/barbiefashion/images5/earken2.jpg

I hear they're not so tolerant of his lifestyle.

ODShowtime
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
gotta hand it to you guys (except E)

very keen eyes here