PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Ozone Layer Is Thinning, Scientists Report

DLR'sCock
02-01-2005, 07:00 PM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6889985/

Arctic Ozone Layer Is Thinning, Scientists Report
Reuters

Monday 31 January 2005

North Europe faces radiation danger if cold conditions continue.
The ozone layer over the Arctic has thinned due to colder-than-normal temperatures, and "large scale losses" are likely if the cold conditions continue, a European research group reported.

The research prompted the European Commission on Monday to issue a statement warning that “should further cooling of the Arctic stratosphere occur, increasing ozone losses can be expected for the next couple of decades."

It said the thinning could affect the Polar regions, Scandinavia and possibly as far down as central Europe.

Neil Harris, a researcher with the European Ozone Research Coordinating Unit, said in a statement that "the meteorological conditions we are now witnessing resemble and even surpass the conditions of the 1999-2000 winter - when the worst ozone loss to date was observed."

Overall temperatures in the Arctic ozone layer are the lowest in 50 years, and have been consistently low for the past two months, the group added.

Clouds an Indicator

The concerns were triggered last November, when researchers found large areas of clouds in the ozone layer at an altitude of about 12 miles. Called polar stratospheric clouds, or PSC, they are the largest seen in the last 20 years and are an indicator of ozone depletion.

"Preliminary analysis of data from the international ozonesonde network shows the first signs of depletion at around 20 kilometers altitude," Markus Rex, a researcher with the Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research, said in the statement.

"Overall, measured by the extent and persistence of conditions for PSC formation, the situation is now colder than anything I have seen in the Arctic before," he added. "In particular, the large extent of ice clouds gives reason for concern."

The researchers noted that the clouds cause significant changes in the chemical balance of the stratosphere, which in turn speeds up ozone destruction in the presence of sunlight. The combination alters the breakdown of CFCs, the class of chemicals that erode the ozone layer.

CFCs are being phased out, but their impact will continue for decades. They have also led to thinning of the Antarctic ozone layer.

February, March Will Be Key

The European researchers said that if the Arctic stratosphere remains cold in February and March, large ozone loss is expected to take place as sunlight returns.

That, in turn, could lead to "increased levels of ultraviolet radiation in inhabited areas in the northern part of Europe," they warned.

"It is still too early to predict the temperature development in February and March, which are the crucial months for ozone loss in the Arctic," Harris said, but "we will watch the development closely from day to day, and will inform the public and our authorities if the situation becomes worrying."

The researchers are part of the SCOUT-O3 Integrated Project. Funded by the European Union, it is coordinated at the University of Cambridge's Department of Chemistry.

-------

Jump to today's TO Features:

ELVIS
02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Maybe algore will invent something to fix it...:rolleyes:

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Yea the ozone net

Nickdfresh
02-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
Maybe algore will invent something to fix it...:rolleyes:

Maybe George Bush will do nothing to stop fucking things up...Yes, of course he will.

ELVIS
02-01-2005, 08:11 PM
Oh, George Bush did it ??

Nickdfresh
02-01-2005, 08:14 PM

Didn't say "did it," said not helping others or doing anything about it.
http://www.allamericanhotdog.com/celebrity_images/allamerican_hummer2_large.jpg

FORD
02-01-2005, 08:37 PM

Actually, yes he did, by gutting environmental laws which had kept corporate polluters in check. It's no accident that Houston bypassed Los Angeles as the most polluted city in America while Dipshit was governor of Texas.

JCOOK
02-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Ask those people that were killed in the tsunami if they feel like a threat to good ole mother earth. This planets been around for billions of years it's not going anywhere.....WE ARE

ELVIS
02-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by FORD
Actually, yes he did, by gutting environmental laws which had kept corporate polluters in check.

:rolleyes:

YAWN
02-03-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by JCOOK
Ask those people that were killed in the tsunami if they feel like a threat to good ole mother earth. This planets been around for billions of years it's not going anywhere.....WE ARE

Heh... Carlin rules... :)

YAWN
02-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Now the gawddamn Arctic Ozone Layer issues are Bush's fault, too??? Aw, yer killin' me, Smalls!!!

Nickdfresh
02-03-2005, 02:57 PM
WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEING ALL BUSH'S!? Have reading comprehension difficulties, read slower.

Something needs to be done to slow down global warming or we are all fucked.

DLR'sCock
02-03-2005, 06:17 PM
You people are complete retards. Nick, it's useless sometimes.

Nickdfresh
02-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
You people are complete retards. Nick, it's useless sometimes.

Sort of like people that drive HUMVEEs, then complain about the price of gas.

YAWN
02-03-2005, 10:47 PM
Settle down, Beavis. We already know you elitist fucks are the only ones with two licks of sense and any sort of brains at all around here; you don't need to throw it around.

Incidentally, this is what I was referring to:

Actually, yes he did, by gutting environmental laws which had kept corporate polluters in check. It's no accident that Houston bypassed Los Angeles as the most polluted city in America while Dipshit was governor of Texas.

...so take the jabs at "reading comprehension", and shove 'em up yer ass, okay, Mr. Run-on User Name? As for the cars and gas, I drive a natural gas hybrid, and personally, I think relatively speaking, the price of gas being what it is has been a long time coming, considering the inflation rate of the other industries.

Guitar Shark
02-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by YAWN
Settle down, Beavis. We already know you elitist fucks are the only ones with two licks of sense and any sort of brains at all around here; you don't need to throw it around.

LOL. The hilarious thing is that at least one of those "elitist fucks" has a mullet. Talk about irony. :D

academic punk
02-04-2005, 11:23 AM
hey, Elvis, are you aware that the Clean Air Act does not recognize carbon dioxide as a pollutant?

again - businesses are free to do whatever they wish (and not even have a gradual emissions cap in place) thanks to the supposed "Clean" Air Act. This is something that even your beloved John McCain has gone on record to criticize. And it is my personal greatest criticism of this administration. While Bush was gov of Texas, the state became the 2nd worst in terms of pollution and smog in the country.

But you know what, how could I ask if you're aware of any of these things when you're barely even aware of anything outside of your copy of "The New Testamant for Complete Idiots"?

YAWN
02-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Guitar Shark
LOL. The hilarious thing is that at least one of those "elitist fucks" has a mullet. Talk about irony. :D

MULLETS WILL RULE THE WORLD, gawdammit, Sharky!!! If you only knew the power...

Nickdfresh
02-04-2005, 07:41 PM

Incidentally, this is what I was referring to:

...so take the jabs at "reading comprehension", and shove 'em up yer ass, okay, Mr. Run-on User Name? As for the cars and gas, I drive a natural gas hybrid, and personally, I think relatively speaking, the price of gas being what it is has been a long time coming, considering the inflation rate of the other industries.

Sucks being owned.

academic punk
02-04-2005, 07:56 PM
I've attatched the following for those folks who have not read anything that would constitute "current events" since the publication of the king james bible...

This Times article is interesting...the "good news" that our country is
finally taking global warming seriously goes hand-in-hand with the "bad news" of the government's response: if we lose some wildflowers in the Rockies or threaten some coastline, we'll just have to deal with it. We can adapt. I wonder if the Florida Keys Dike Builders Association made a contribution to Jeb this year....

Please mind the date...

Climate Changing, U.S. Says in Report

June 3, 2002
By ANDREW C. REVKIN

In a stark shift for the Bush administration, the United States has
sent a
climate report to the United Nations detailing the far-reaching effects
of
global warming.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/06/03/science/03CLIM.html

DLR'sCock
02-04-2005, 10:45 PM
who has a mullet?

Little_Skittles
02-05-2005, 12:10 PM
they ain't the only ones facing danger. A town called hutchison ks is sinking rapidly.

John Ashcroft
02-06-2005, 09:35 AM

I thought Washington was the largest polluter nowadays... It's because of that damn mountain of theirs!

I think we should start a campaign to impeach Mount St. Helens immediately! Before it's too late.

Nickdfresh
02-06-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
I thought Washington was the largest polluter nowadays... It's because of that damn mountain of theirs!

I think we should start a campaign to impeach Mount St. Helens immediately! Before it's too late.

Wait till China catches up with us in their little, crude economy cars and starts sapping up our gas without all our nice emissions controls. Then we'll be fucked.

John Ashcroft
02-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Yep, weren't countries like China exempt from Kyoto?

Nickdfresh
02-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Yep, weren't countries like China exempt from Kyoto?

I don't believe so. Though I think they were allowed a greater pollution quota since they are a developing country. A flaw I readily agree with.

YAWN
02-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
Sucks being owned.
You would know. ;)

YAWN
02-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Nickdfresh
I don't believe so. Though I think they were allowed a greater pollution quota since they are a developing country. A flaw I readily agree with.

They are, actually, along with India. So yeah, we're gonna be fucked.

Nickdfresh
02-07-2005, 03:59 PM
You would know. ;)

That's what I meant.