PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell is Dave Meniketti?

guwapo_rocker
02-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Dave Meniketti of Y&T fame recently interviewed with Hardrock Haven's Derric Miller, discussing the recent releases of "UnEarthed" volumes I and II, the rumors behind him taking over as the frontman for VAN HALEN when Sammy Hagar left the band, his blues solo project, and a myriad of other topics. Here is an excerpt from the interview:

Hardrock Haven: When Sammy left VAN HALEN, were there any queries from the band to gauge your interest in replacing him as their frontman?

Meniketti: "No, I never got anything, no. There was a lot of speculation from individuals and people on different forums, talking about 'Dave Meniketti and VAN HALEN,' so on and so forth. But you know what? They never called me."

Hardrock Haven: Would you have given it a thought?

Meniketti: "I don't know — I certainly was asked a lot about it, and at that time, when it was first happening, I just said, 'No.' You know? And I'll tell you why. It's not because I don't like VAN HALEN, I think they are great. I respect all those guys in the band. I always feel like, if you are taking someone else's place, especially someone who was so much a part of what that band is all about, you are really heading into deep water there. I know, for what Sammy did, it actually pulled his head out of the sand, out of the old David Lee Roth band, and really made an impression. It was THE thing he did that was right in his career, no question about it. That really put him over the top. You know, if I was the second singer — maybe. If I was the fourth singer, or whatever, in VAN HALEN, absolutely not. The way I feel about those guys is, if they can't get either of their first two singers back to play, I don't want to have any part or anything to do with it. You know, I don't think they should go on. It's too confusing to the fans, it bastardizes the band and their entire career, you know, to me — and I just wouldn't have wanted to be a part of that."

You can hear the interview in its entirety at www.hardrockhaven.net. You will need the Windows Media Player to stream the interview.

Link... (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=32315)

DLR_EngineRoom
02-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
Dave Meniketti of Y&T fame recently interviewed with Hardrock Haven's Derric Miller, discussing the recent releases of "UnEarthed" volumes I and II, the rumors behind him taking over as the frontman for VAN HALEN when Sammy Hagar left the band, his blues solo project, and a myriad of other topics. Here is an excerpt from the interview:

Hardrock Haven: When Sammy left VAN HALEN, were there any queries from the band to gauge your interest in replacing him as their frontman?

Meniketti: "No, I never got anything, no. There was a lot of speculation from individuals and people on different forums, talking about 'Dave Meniketti and VAN HALEN,' so on and so forth. But you know what? They never called me."

Hardrock Haven: Would you have given it a thought?

Meniketti: "I don't know — I certainly was asked a lot about it, and at that time, when it was first happening, I just said, 'No.' You know? And I'll tell you why. It's not because I don't like VAN HALEN, I think they are great. I respect all those guys in the band. I always feel like, if you are taking someone else's place, especially someone who was so much a part of what that band is all about, you are really heading into deep water there. I know, for what Sammy did, it actually pulled his head out of the sand, out of the old David Lee Roth band, and really made an impression. It was THE thing he did that was right in his career, no question about it. That really put him over the top. You know, if I was the second singer — maybe. If I was the fourth singer, or whatever, in VAN HALEN, absolutely not. The way I feel about those guys is, if they can't get either of their first two singers back to play, I don't want to have any part or anything to do with it. You know, I don't think they should go on. It's too confusing to the fans, it bastardizes the band and their entire career, you know, to me — and I just wouldn't have wanted to be a part of that."

You can hear the interview in its entirety at www.hardrockhaven.net. You will need the Windows Media Player to stream the interview.

Link... (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=32315)

I thought that Y&T were an underrated band in the eighties. Ironically enough, I saw them opening for Motley Crue on Crue's Theatre Of Pain tour, and they were amazing. I'm surprised that Meniketti didn't outright prefer Roth era, because by the time Van Hagar hit the fan, Y&T were beginning to fade.

Panamark
02-03-2005, 02:52 AM
Fuck him. He's a cockhead.

Too much Hagar love in that sick puppy..

WACF
02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Never heard much of them other than Mean Streak or Summertime Girls back in the 80's...listening to Eddie Trunk on KNAC I have heard alot of other stuff by them.
Pretty good stuff actually.

Matt White
02-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Y & T had a rabid local following in the 80's. Dave is a well thought of guy. Y & T never reached their full potential, having watered down their music to fit in with "hair bands". A good singer and musician. Their early stuff ROCKS.

usfest
02-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Yesterday and Today were a Bay area band that at one time did Beatle covers, than shorted it all to Y&T - they ruled the Bay Area. Won lots of Bammies. They toured with Twisted Sister and lita FOrd back in '86. It was kind of funny becuase Twisted Sister was *huge* at th etime but in the bay area Y&T headlined. Twisted Sister only got through one song on the first night of their two night stand at the San Jose Civic Center. People were throwing things at them and heckling them. Dee goes "I have never ever walked off a ****ing stage in all my life...until tonight..." and they walked off.

But Dave Meniketti in Van Halen? Man I really don't see that.