PDA

View Full Version : DLRBAND 2 is in the can.

Panamark
02-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Its widely known that Dave recorded a Rock album.
But released Diamond Dave.

Do you think we will get to hear this, or will he record yet
another. Seems its not only the sisters that have a little
vault happening.

Or perhaps he doesnt feel its up to the DLRBAND level ???

What do you all reckon ???

katie
02-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Panamark

vault happening.

Rock album already been recorded, Where did you get this info from?

Panamark
02-03-2005, 07:08 AM
Just ears to the ground. Some of those closer to the band might care to elaborate !

Panamark
02-03-2005, 08:31 AM
A little Speculation involved. Lets hear the facts people !

I believe that Dave recorded enough songs for a Rock album
with his currenet band, but then shelved that in favor of
Diamond Dave. Am I wrong ?? I know there are people here that
can answer this.

mewisemagic
02-03-2005, 08:44 AM
i remember reading that they were in henson studios,and had worked up all these new songs...thats why i was confused when dd came out..

house0paincakes
02-03-2005, 09:01 AM
I don't know, but I'd love to hear it. WTF! C'mon Dave give us a break!

guwapo_rocker
02-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Yep, it's done!!

Dave wants to tour this year too, so maybe he'll tour on this

material.

BrownSound1
02-03-2005, 10:42 AM
It is true, there is a complete album's worth of originals that were recorded during the same time that the Diamond Dave album was done. However, Dave decided to release only covers...I don't know why other than because he's Dave. :D

ZahZoo
02-03-2005, 10:55 AM
Brian did confirm they brought a whole lot of new material to Dave during those sessions... but Dave chose otherwise... go figure?

Mezro
02-03-2005, 03:49 PM
Dave could release DLR Band 2 to the Roth Army members and make a nice pile of change.

There are over 11,000 members here and you figure at least half would buy the fucking thing.

Mezro...not a bad little haul for just letting us know how to buy it directly...

academic punk
02-03-2005, 03:54 PM

vault happening.

He chose to release the material on Diamond dave in the hopes of getting radio play. US stations are so formatted these days that dave percieved his only hope of getting radio play was via well-known covers.

Also, bear in mind the production quality on DLR BAND wasn't all that good, maybe a notch above "demo". So that would also hinder its chances at radio play.

Will we get to hear it? I'd be surprised. Diamond dave sold crap, and he's been associated with a different label for every album since A Little Ain't Enough (warners, reprise, wawazat, rhino, magna carta) so it's going to be nigh impossible for dave to find a distribution network and mayeb evebn a record deal.

tomballin
02-03-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by katie
Rock album already been recorded, Where did you get this info from?

Didn't you know, Panamark is just his alias. He's actual Ford Fairlane, Rock & Roll detective.

lms2
02-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Thats a fact, but unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

He could at least give this site one of them so we would have something new to talk about!

tomballin
02-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Ford Fairlane aka Panamark on the left

http://img220.exs.cx/img220/1/fordfairlanescrpic0rt.jpg

academic punk
02-03-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Mezro
Dave could release DLR Band 2 to the Roth Army members and make a nice pile of change.

There are over 11,000 members here and you figure at least half would buy the fucking thing.

Mezro...not a bad little haul for just letting us know how to buy it directly...

recording an album is the easy part. Selling it is the bitch.

You're an ad-man. You know that!

Maybe he figures it just wouldn't be cost-effective, what with ipods and file-sharing these days...

Mezro
02-03-2005, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
recording an album is the easy part. Selling it is the bitch.

You're an ad-man. You know that!

Maybe he figures it just wouldn't be cost-effective, what with ipods and file-sharing these days...

It is tough but lets look at how this could pan out.

Overhead: he has his own studio, pays his musicians next to nothing, pays nothing for design (look at the shitty DLR Band CD and Diamond Dave cover art) and acts as his own producer.

if he targeted the Roth Army only he could sell enough to cover his overhead and everything else (iTunes etc) could be profit.

Look at Prince & Ani DiFranco - they both have direct to consumer business models for their music that work...and are very profitable.

Either Dave does not know how to do it or Dave does not give a shit enough to do it or learn how to do it.

Mezro...give me a call Dave...we can figure something out:D...

GAR
02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by mewisemagic
i remember reading that they were in henson studios,and had worked up all these new songs...thats why i was confused when dd came out..

I was over at Henson studios myself at the time - you think YOURE cuntfused???

Jérôme Frenchise
02-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Come on. Who gives a fuckin' damn about whether it sells or not? Who keeps any illusions about most people's tastes? We want some ROCKIN' HEAVY METAL MUSIC FROM DAVE, don't we?

Big Train
02-03-2005, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by academic punk
Diamond dave sold crap, and he's been associated with a different label for every album since A Little Ain't Enough (warners, reprise, wawazat, rhino, magna carta) so it's going to be nigh impossible for dave to find a distribution network and mayeb evebn a record deal.

I'd actually argue the opposite. With every major label nowadays in a volume war, setting up farm distribution systems (Universal-Fontana, Sony-Red, EMI-Caroline, WB-Aslyum) it's actually EASIER than ever to get distribution. I'm sure his concern is signing up with a distributor for more than a one-off (which is what his deals with the last few you mentioned were), if there is a chance VH has a chance.

I'm with Mezro here. I worked at a soundtrack label who did this direct route for out of print scores. Fuckin license to print money!! You know who your customers are, they place the orders, you press just enough and ship it media mail...pure fucking $$..

rustoffa
02-03-2005, 08:04 PM
Let's all hope there's a song on it about (er, somewhat) the tweaker jumpin' his fence.

"I got some razorwire as a gaaaaag-gift babayyy......"

Up-tempo....ala' Atomic Punk...

Call it "Midnight Cowboy" or some shit.

The possibilities are endless.
:D

Halen High
02-03-2005, 08:09 PM
This year would be a good time for a new hard rocking DLR album. Still lots of interest in great retro artists and with strong material, good production, cool artwork, a couple of videos and a tour to back it up I'm sure it would sell well enough. There's a whole disenfranchised CVH audience out there who would support a quality release.

Maybe Dave doesn't want to commit to all of the above while a CVH reunion is still a rumoured possibility.

Panamark
02-04-2005, 01:40 AM
LOL @ TB !

Hey Im better looking than that dude ! :)
Got long hair for a start. But I can live with the Rock Detective thing !

spmusicplyr
02-04-2005, 05:19 AM
i think thug pop was a kick ass song...more like that!

Calderone
02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Thugh pop was the best off DD ...i love it

Roguesgirl
02-04-2005, 11:03 AM
It is tough but lets look at how this could pan out.

Overhead: he has his own studio, pays his musicians next to nothing, pays nothing for design (look at the shitty DLR Band CD and Diamond Dave cover art) and acts as his own producer.

if he targeted the Roth Army only he could sell enough to cover his overhead and everything else (iTunes etc) could be profit.

Look at Prince & Ani DiFranco - they both have direct to consumer business models for their music that work...and are very profitable.

Either Dave does not know how to do it or Dave does not give a shit enough to do it or learn how to do it.

Mezro...give me a call Dave...we can figure something out:D...

Dave, forget calling Ed. Call Mezro. :cool:

GAR
02-04-2005, 07:54 PM
TANKS for the last disc, DLR -

(you all know what I mean by that)

Mezro
02-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Roguesgirl
Dave, forget calling Ed. Call Mezro. :cool:

Yeah..fuck Ed.

Mezro...I have a functioning brain and I have teeth...

POJO_Risin
02-04-2005, 08:45 PM
There once was a guitarplayer named Ed...

who we all now wish were fucking Dead...

He put his hair up like a fag...

and was fucking some toothless hag...

And had a worthless son that was overfed...

Fuck Ed...

There is material with the Roth Band...

will it see light?

who knows...

Big Troubles
02-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by POJO_Risin
There once was a guitarplayer named Ed...

who we all now wish were fucking Dead...

He put his hair up like a fag...

and was fucking some toothless hag...

And had a worthless son that was overfed...

Fuck Ed...

There is material with the Roth Band...

will it see light?

who knows...

LMAO!

POJO_Risin
02-04-2005, 10:24 PM
I saw a Dice Clay pic earlier today and was inspired...lmfao...

Panamark
02-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Ed and Al were bitchin,
whilst Val scratched her snatch in the kitchen,
Ed said, Valerie, crabs I suppose ??
She said yeah, the fuckers are itchin !

rustoffa
02-05-2005, 02:46 AM
There once was a man half- Philippine

He somehow avoided the guillotine

It was grate how he used to noodle

His brain is now rum cake streudel

Golden AWe
02-05-2005, 05:03 AM
If this will happen I'll promise to buy two!

fenway5150
02-05-2005, 11:14 AM

I wish Dave would crank out a new album every year or two for his loyal fans like us and if it should catch on with a bigger audience, great.

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
A little Speculation involved. Lets hear the facts people !

I believe that Dave recorded enough songs for a Rock album
with his currenet band, but then shelved that in favor of
Diamond Dave. Am I wrong ?? I know there are people here that
can answer this.

Hey pMark! The problem with just releasing an album, either through a major label or even through the net, is the artist makes the most amount of money off the tour. The merch, the tix sales etc... Album sales are shit nowadys and as such most artists will release material on their own label or even free for download. Pennies on the dollar and it aint worth it. If Dave plans a tour, then maybe. But who is going to tour with him? I think everyone except his bass player all have good gigs now. I think Dave will try to "sell" off his "vaulted material" to the VH's IF and when they reconvene. Just my opinion.

BT

DavidLeeNatra
04-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
I think Dave will try to "sell" off his "vaulted material" to the VH's IF and when they reconvene. Just my opinion.

BT

no way they're buying...ed's ego is much too big to play a song that has "dave" written all over it...

JJMcClure
04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Dice rules

binnie
04-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
no way they're buying...ed's ego is much too big to play a song that has "dave" written all over it...

Yep, no chance of that happening.

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 09:56 AM

well no, I cant imagine Ed buying it. But I can see Dave proposing it and Ed making changes. ;)

DavidLeeNatra
04-05-2007, 10:40 AM
well no, I cant imagine Ed buying it. But I can see Dave proposing it and Ed making changes. ;)

not even that...no way...

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
not even that...no way...

Really? I see a different type of Ed when he's clean and perhaps more open minded. See Dave just wants to put out the very best product that showcases his talents, while Ed could make changes to showcase his talents along with what the original grass roots foundation of what VH was/is. A clean Ed is a happy Ed. Well, fingers, eyes, toes and tits crossed anyways.

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 12:15 PM
I have not experienced sobriety in a few years, so you're talkin' to the wrong guy. But then again, Im far more creative while under the influence. At least that what my bong tells me. :D

General Hina
04-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Dave is an idiot!! If he recorded a rock album but chose to release Diamond Dave then he is as crazy as EVH. If he is sitting on DLRBand 2 then maybe he should keep sitting as the 1st one sucked. I've said it before and I'll say it again... Dave has not released a good CD since ALAE back in 1991!!! That's 16 fucking years ago. I love that CD so much that I preordered the remastered version and hopefully it will arrive today!! Why hasn't DLR released a live CD from his past tours? If he's sounds so fucking great according to all you diehards then why hasn't he released a LIVE CD?

later assholes,
General Superior Hina

General Hina
04-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by fenway5150
I wish Dave would crank out a new album every year or two for his loyal fans like us and if it should catch on with a bigger audience, great.

Crank out an album every year or two!!!! Are you high. DLR isn't a musician anymore and could care less about making new music or the fans. He's only in it for the glory and that has been gone since 1991. Face it... most of the bands we love are has beens who can only play the nostalgia circuit and even most of those people have still had the musicality to put out new records every 3 or 4 years. DLR making listenable music has been over for years.

Over & Out Dreamers,
General Hina

jharp84
04-05-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by General Hina
Dave is an idiot!! If he recorded a rock album but chose to release Diamond Dave then he is as crazy as EVH. If he is sitting on DLRBand 2 then maybe he should keep sitting as the 1st one sucked. I've said it before and I'll say it again... Dave has not released a good CD since ALAE back in 1991!!! That's 16 fucking years ago. I love that CD so much that I preordered the remastered version and hopefully it will arrive today!! Why hasn't DLR released a live CD from his past tours? If he's sounds so fucking great according to all you diehards then why hasn't he released a LIVE CD?

later assholes,General Superior Hina

I agree about the live cd! I feel your pain! However I have two outstanding dave concerts downloaded from this site Thanks Cato- I know he did one of them japan(2003) the other I show I was at House of blues in Chicago 2003!

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 06:55 PM

later assholes,
General Superior Hina

Wow, How charming you still are. First of all, there are those who do and dont like ALAE. I like DD. Most do not. Some here LOVE Black Sand and Damn Good. I think they are 2 of his weakest efforts. Im certainly not going to call someone an asshole for personal taste. Jesus man...Get a grip. Dave hasn't released a good CD FOR YOU in 16 years. He released a bluesy Diamond Dave for me and that wasnt long ago. Before that DLR Band was off the charts great! Again for some, not for all. You seem to be a dick, for the sole purpose of being a dick. Most of us "diehards" know you are just the shit stain of the internet underwear world so we tend to not get so worked up over your comments. In fact most of your ballber is rather ammusing at best and hardly worth the debate.

A Live CD? Dave isn't good "live" unless it's over produced and Dave doesn't like to over produce. Dave likes it raw and off the floor.

And I suppose that's a testament to his placement in rock n rape and roll.... He doesn't need the money bad enough to put out a live album with over dubs and mass production. He doesn't need to release a Best Of every second year either.

Check your hat and your facts at the door. They are both outdated.

BT

Over & well, still here....

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Dave is an idiot!!
General Superior Hina

Right. Daves the idiot. That's why you are here using "Sting" as a reflection of who you want representing you, while his toes are in the sands of Rio, sipping Gin out of bikini clad twins. Gotcha.

ALAE? He'll be glad you bought it...Twice...And pre ordered his reissue. His drink is getting low. :D

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Disgusting SELLOUT (and I dont mean arenas)

2006 Livin' It Up!
2005 Live: Hallelujah [DualDisc]
2004 Not 4 Sale [Japan Bonus Track]
2004 Live: Hallelujah [Japan Bonus Track]
2003 Live: Hallelujah
2002 Not 4 Sale
2001 Ten 13 [Bonus Tracks]
2000 Ten 13
2000 Marching to Mars [Import Bonus Tracks]
1999 Red Voodoo
1997 Marching to Mars
1992 Red Hot
1989 Live - Very Live in Concert
1987 I Never Said Goodbye
1984 VOA
1984 Through the Fire
1983 Three Lock Box
1983 Live 1980
1982 Rematch & More
1982 Red Alert! Dial Nine
1981 Standing Hampton
1981 Musical Chairs
1980 Centre Hole
1979 Street Machine
1979 Danger Zone
1978 All Night Long
1977 Sammy Hagar [Bonus Track]
1977 Sammy Hagar Two
1977 Sammy Hagar
1977 Musical Chairs [Bonus Track]
1976 Nine on a Ten Scale

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 07:07 PM
Live
Live
Live
Best of
Best Of
Best Of
Live Best Of.... Blah...Garbage....

I will admit that I like 2 of his songs. Red is a good tune alas with ZERO meaning. Good riff. I also like Cruizin and Boozin'. Which I find ironic since he's so against drinking and driving... "Got JD in the backseat, we're drinking nothing but the best"...

Gee I thought his shit was the best?

Hmm...

Sounds like a con.

Raise your hands in the air and wave them like you just dont care. Somehow I picture QUITE A FEW ppl in the crowd raising their arms NOT GIVING A CARE for entirely different reasons than what he was hoping for.

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 07:08 PM
who da fak names a rock album "musical chairs"? besides Hammy Sagar

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 07:19 PM
For Hina and other DLR Band haters

David Lee Roth
DLR Band
Release Date: June 09, 1998
Label: Wawazat
Rating:

Following the disastrous near-reunion of Van Halen, David Lee Roth didn't lie down -- he wrote the vindictive, hilarious, near-brilliant memoir -Crazy From the Heat, compiled The Best for Rhino, and finally, assembled the DLR Band, his response to the Gary Cherone version of Van Halen. Where his former colleagues aimed at world domination and serious art with Van Halen III, Diamond Dave kept his aim low, turning in a sleazy little record that just wants to rock really hard. While Van Halen stumbled hard with their revamping, Roth succeeded in delivering a kind of miniature comeback. Granted, DLR Band didn't shake the charts, but it wasn't meant to be big; it's a record that was made with the fans in mind, and they should be pleased by its down-and-dirty attitude. This is the hardest Roth has rocked since Eat 'Em and Smile. The songs may not be as funny or memorable, and his new band doesn't reach the heights of Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan, but The DLR Band benefits from its modest scale. It succeeds on its own terms, delivering a selection of fine, spirited metal songs that finds Roth's charisma at a near peak. Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

Big Troubles
04-05-2007, 07:22 PM
and one for Diamond Dave

David Lee Roth
Diamond Dave
Release Date: July 08, 2003
Label: Magna Carta
Rating:

Let's face it; David Lee Roth was the most exciting and entertaining singer to ever front Van Halen. And although his solo albums have not all been winners, at least he's been known to take chances and try new approaches with rock music (such as the entirely sung-in-Spanish Sonrisa Salvaje, the synth pop-ish Skyscraper, the Nile Rodgers-produced Your Filthy Little Mouth, etc.). For his 2003 release Diamond Dave, Roth uses the same approach he and his then-comrades in Van Halen followed on 1982's Diver Down -- an album consisting primarily of cover songs, with a few originals sprinkled in. As expected, the covers that work the best are the ones that aren't that well known, including the lead-off single "Shoo Bop" (a cover of Steve Miller's "Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma") and a big band reading of a tune Van Halen covered way back when, "Ice Cream Man," while a few of the better-known songs (especially Jimi Hendrix's "If 6 Was 9") don't fare as well. Of course, Diamond Dave is no Fair Warning. But it's a hell of a whole lot more listenable than anything Van Halen has issued in ages (especially when compared to the 1998 atrocity Van Halen III). Greg Prato, All Music Guide

General Hina
04-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Right. Daves the idiot. That's why you are here using "Sting" as a reflection of who you want representing you, while his toes are in the sands of Rio, sipping Gin out of bikini clad twins. Gotcha.

ALAE? He'll be glad you bought it...Twice...And pre ordered his reissue. His drink is getting low. :D

My Sting avatar is just for laughs.

General Hina
04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Disgusting SELLOUT (and I dont mean arenas)

2006 Livin' It Up!
2005 Live: Hallelujah [DualDisc]
2004 Not 4 Sale [Japan Bonus Track]
2004 Live: Hallelujah [Japan Bonus Track]
2003 Live: Hallelujah
2002 Not 4 Sale
2001 Ten 13 [Bonus Tracks]
2000 Ten 13
2000 Marching to Mars [Import Bonus Tracks]
1999 Red Voodoo
1997 Marching to Mars
1992 Red Hot
1989 Live - Very Live in Concert
1987 I Never Said Goodbye
1984 VOA
1984 Through the Fire
1983 Three Lock Box
1983 Live 1980
1982 Rematch & More
1982 Red Alert! Dial Nine
1981 Standing Hampton
1981 Musical Chairs
1980 Centre Hole
1979 Street Machine
1979 Danger Zone
1978 All Night Long
1977 Sammy Hagar [Bonus Track]
1977 Sammy Hagar Two
1977 Sammy Hagar
1977 Musical Chairs [Bonus Track]
1976 Nine on a Ten Scale

Japanese imports almost always have bonus tracks? What's your point? Sammy as a solo artist has released 3 times as many solo studio CDs as Dave. Why... Sammy is a musician. Dave is a frontman for someone elses music... Eddie's

General Hina
04-05-2007, 07:55 PM
and one for Diamond Dave

David Lee Roth
Diamond Dave
Release Date: July 08, 2003
Label: Magna Carta
Rating:

Let's face it; David Lee Roth was the most exciting and entertaining singer to ever front Van Halen. And although his solo albums have not all been winners, at least he's been known to take chances and try new approaches with rock music (such as the entirely sung-in-Spanish Sonrisa Salvaje, the synth pop-ish Skyscraper, the Nile Rodgers-produced Your Filthy Little Mouth, etc.). For his 2003 release Diamond Dave, Roth uses the same approach he and his then-comrades in Van Halen followed on 1982's Diver Down -- an album consisting primarily of cover songs, with a few originals sprinkled in. As expected, the covers that work the best are the ones that aren't that well known, including the lead-off single "Shoo Bop" (a cover of Steve Miller's "Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma") and a big band reading of a tune Van Halen covered way back when, "Ice Cream Man," while a few of the better-known songs (especially Jimi Hendrix's "If 6 Was 9") don't fare as well. Of course, Diamond Dave is no Fair Warning. But it's a hell of a whole lot more listenable than anything Van Halen has issued in ages (especially when compared to the 1998 atrocity Van Halen III). Greg Prato, All Music Guide

Keep digging and you'll probably find a positive review for VH III.

Over & Out,
General Hina

chi-town324
04-05-2007, 08:22 PM
POJO thats some funny shit!

Terry
04-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Considering how much play and publicity the DLR Band album got (virtually nil), I suppose Dave thought a bunch of covers stood a better chance of getting heard.

Loons The Great
04-05-2007, 11:20 PM

later assholes,
General Superior Hina

YOU are the idiot!

David Lee Roth did a cameo on The Sopranos. Sammy Hagar did a cameo on Nash Bridges. 'Nuff said.

DavidLeeNatra
04-06-2007, 06:50 AM
I am here just for giving you laughs.

dave said about live albums..."it's the same with my pants...it's hard to squeeze it all in..."

Dan
04-06-2007, 07:05 AM
I'm here for giving Head and Hand jobs.

WTF?

You need help,General Herpes.

Big Troubles
04-06-2007, 09:57 AM
My Sting avatar is just for laughs.

Is it? Well, if I have to ask or inquire than it's probably not working.

Just a hint. ;)

I wasnt digging for a good review on VH3. All I did was post 2 reviews on Daves material. DD and DLR Band, because that's what I thought we were talking about.

Apparently not.

BT

General Hina
04-06-2007, 03:35 PM
dave said about live albums..."it's the same with my pants...it's hard to squeeze it all in..."

As always... a lame excuse.

DavidLeeNatra
04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
As always... a lame excuse.

ok...I give up...this quote is so stupid that it can't be changed into something that makes sense...