PDA

View Full Version : van halen 3, why was edds playing so much better then than now?

col5150
02-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Was just listening to vh3 for a bit of a change, dont get me wrong i dont like gary cherone, not even in extreme. But edds playing on that record seems to be very together with quite a few fresh licks. Maybe its just down to the producing but the three new songs on the best of both worlds really sucked compared to 3.

i personally would have loved to have heard the second album they made with gary just out of curiosity, but as with so much vh itll never see the light of day.

Maybe they will wait till evh is dead and do a hendrix album a year number.

scam failin
02-03-2005, 12:37 PM
i like the first two songs on van halen 3.i don't care much for cherone............but eddie's playing and the rest of the band is pretty tight.good sound.i saw them live with cherone and eddie had the arena in the palm of his hand when playing his solo.he was fucking dead on with his playing.the band was hot! especially playing oldies like romeo delight and somebody get me a doctor.he wasn't drunk either.probably the last hurrah for vh.

EDDIEVRULZ
02-04-2005, 12:39 AM
i believe VHIII was ed's best playing in 15 years.

tydhurst
02-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Cherone's a wanker, and Eddie can't sing!

EDDIEVRULZ
02-04-2005, 01:15 AM
i agree with you 100%. but i still say he was at his finest since CVH on that album. playing wise. although, ill still take the songwriting aspect on that alvum over most of the sammy era. shit, all of it.

Panamark
02-04-2005, 03:33 AM
Thats what happens when you are an original Van Halen fan.
Ed plays the best he ever has, right after he had the golden
oppurtunity to reunite the band.

Its the way it goes. Then Sammy comes along just to cheer us up.

Admit it, we are all fookin Rock masochists !

spmusicplyr
02-04-2005, 05:16 AM
haha...without you is a decent song....rest of album has a few good points but no song is good from start to finish, especially how many say i!!

EDDIEVRULZ
02-04-2005, 05:25 AM
shit, i forgot about 'how many say die." ok, i guess i can find a sammy song better than that. barely!

academic punk
02-04-2005, 07:28 AM
His playing was better b/c he had something to prove. new singer, new attitude. and plus he was once again out from under the thumb of the big bad lead singer.

this time around was only about the mney, so he had compromised emotional inverstment in the quality of his performance.

Vanstonica
02-04-2005, 10:34 AM
He also wasn't drinking himself to death during that time....Allegedly.

Still, his playing was top notch on those alums, but the songs were crap. It's easy to point the finger at Gary Cherone, but there's nothing that even resembles a melody from the rest of the band on that album.

Jérôme Frenchise
02-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Van Halen 3 is "Women and children first". CVH's heaviest. Who's that shit roll you're talking about??

Panamark
02-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Ha !

Don Corleone
02-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by col5150
But edds playing on that record seems to be very together with quite a few fresh licks.

That's what working with Dave again before hand on BOV1 did to his playing.

Terry
02-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Van Halen 3 was Ed's best playing in 15 years?

Whatever.

"Without You" was just a poor song all the way around. Poorly written and a lazy performance. About the only decent spot on that record was Primary/Ballot or the Bullet.

The whole album suffers from a muddy production and Cherone attempts to sound like Hagar to the point where it was difficult to tell a lineup change had even transpired.

But from what I saw and heard on the Van Halen 3 tour, Ed was still capable of pulling classic tunes like Meanstreet off live without any problems.