X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

ANIMAL HOUSE/DIRTY HARRY star John Vernon Dead at 72

TORONTO (CP) - He was the smarmy Dean Wormer in the sophomoric cult movie Animal House.

He was a bad guy who got tossed out a window to his death by the even badder Lee Marvin in Point Blank. But Canadians may best remember actor John Vernon as a crusading coroner in the groundbreaking 1960s CBC crime series Wojeck.

Vernon, 72, died peacefully at his Los Angeles home Tuesday, his family said.

With his pockmarked face and heavy-lidded blue eyes, Vernon proved to be the ideal villain in dozens of the 85 motion pictures he made over a four-decade career.

"Everybody's seen my face but nobody's sure who I am," he once told an interviewer, revealing that he had often been mistaken for Richard Burton or Robert Shaw. "People confuse me with other people and I enjoy that."

He was seen most recently on the "double secret probation" DVD edition of Animal House, in a feature that offered a tongue-in-cheek current look at the characters of the 1978 film. Vernon's Dean Wormer was a crotchety, snowy-haired senior in a wheelchair.

Vernon's other notable film roles included The Outlaw Josey Wales, Dirty Harry, Airplane II, Topaz, Brannigan, Charley Varrick, Nobody Waved Goodbye and Tell Them Willie Boy Was Here. He also starred in a short-lived ABC-TV Animal House spinoff series called Delta House and in a 1990 CBC movie that reprised his Wojeck character.

Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.
  • manwiththedogs
    Head Fluffer
    • Aug 2004

"Dont piss down my back an tell me it`s rainin"
    Outlaw Josey Wales.
    He was great in that one.

Comment

• Rikk
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by manwiththedogs
      "Dont piss down my back an tell me it`s rainin"
      Outlaw Josey Wales.
      He was great in that one.
      I just watched that flick two weeks ago! I love the ending...the guilt on Vernon's face is heart-wrenching.
      Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• ODShowtime
        ROCKSTAR

• Jun 2004

bummer. good post Rikk.
        gnaw on it

Comment

• Rikk
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ODShowtime
          bummer. good post Rikk.
          Thanks bro.
          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

"I hate those guys!"

That sucks, RIP John Vernon aka Dean Wormer.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

" Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son "

words to live by for McCarrens, BBB, and Elvis.......

" Get Nedermeyer on it, he's a sneaky little shit "

" I hate those guys "
              Originally posted by Kristy
              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
              Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Antman
                Commando
                • Jan 2004

Dean Wormer. RIP.
                When the shit hits the fan, close your mouth and duck.

Comment

Working...