Has EVH played anything decent since 1984 ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Has EVH played anything decent since 1984 ?

Lets take out half the 5150 album, cos we know Dave had
    input on that. But has EVH played anything as great as 1984
    or better since that album ??? IM guessing no....
    Whats your thoughts guys ? IS there one thing thing post
    1984 that was as interesting as the harmonic intro to top jimmy ??

For the love of god, dont say the electric drill. That was totally
    lame.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!
  • WOAHYEAH
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2004

Q: Has EVH played anything decent since 1984 ?

A: Can't Get this Stuff No More & Me Wise Magic

And I guess anytime he plays Jump, Panama, You Really Got Me, Unchained, Aint talkin bout Love, or Runnin' with the Devil live, because by the sounds of things, those are the only classic songs he'll touch
    Served hot, right from the rhythm kitchen.

Comment

• academic punk
      Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

what was so impressive about the playing on 5150? that's the only post-roth VH I ever bought (and it sucked), so i don't know much about the other stuff, but from what I did hear on MTV or thje radio, he seemed soemwhat reinvigorated at the time of FUCK.

I think Ted Templeman's influence - who produced the six pack and returned to the head of Ed's console for the first time post 1984 on FUCK- was just as crucial to ed's playing as Dave's, maybe even moreso.

Comment

• Roguesgirl
        Veteran
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by WOAHYEAH

A: Can't Get this Stuff No More & Me Wise Magic
        I was just about to say the same thing. Love those tunes.
        TLC
        You KNOW I got the blues.
        Can you dig it?
        Welcome to Massachusetts. Now get the FUCK out of my way!

Comment

• Lou

Yeah--all the RECYCLED riffs written in the Roth days like "A.F.U." (which you can hear on one of those San Francisco '84s, I forget which one), Judgment Day (part of the 1984 solo) and others which don't come to mind but you can hear on some 1983 and 1984 shows.

Comment

• Carmine
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Lou
            Yeah--all the RECYCLED riffs written in the Roth days like "A.F.U." (which you can hear on one of those San Francisco '84s, I forget which one), Judgment Day (part of the 1984 solo) and others which don't come to mind but you can hear on some 1983 and 1984 shows.

Right on Lou! I was gonna say similar to what you posted. Aside from MWM and CGTSNM....I have said this before...If you could take the singing out of Amsterdam..it is a pretty good cut there from Ed. I would listen to that riff alone.

Comment

• Matt White
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by WOAHYEAH
              And I guess anytime he plays Jump, Panama, You Really Got Me, Unchained, Aint talkin bout Love, or Runnin' with the Devil live, because by the sounds of things, those are the only classic songs he'll touch
              EXACTLY!!!
              Couldn't say it any better than that.

Comment

• academic punk
                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by Lou

Hmmm...good point! And I'd bet that that was all down to Ted Templeman saying, "Hey, Ed, remember this one? That was pretty cool...why not construct a song around that riff?"

"Aw, but I like this new synth ballad more. I don't want to recycle the past."

"Well, either do it, or I'm calling Dave and telling him you begged him to come over."

"Yes, Sir!!!"

Which also brings to mind the opening of.....is it "Standing on Top iof the World"? isn't that the riff they used at the end of Jump?

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

MWM and CGTSNM:

MWM was a decent composition. Throwaway solo. Same for CGTSNM, with a better solo.

Hard pressed to think of anything Ed did after 1984 that didn't sound like I'd heard it done before, and better.

5150 - Maybe the title track
                  OU812 - AFU was so-so. Nice to hear some effort, but nothing astounding.
                  FUCK - Parts of Pleasuredome.
                  BALANCE - Aftershock was so-so.

About the only thing Ed's done post-Dave that stood out to me was Primary on Van Halen 3. Can't say why.

The guy just got stuck on the pinched-harmonic whammy bar dives and those two tapped artificial harmonic tones (heard during the intro of Good Enough and on every album afterward)...just irritating. And his recorded tone post-Roth sounds fucking terrible. This mid-range slush that was at it's worst on 5150 and FUCK.

Lou hit it spot-on that EVH began recycling himself after Roth left. What was Source of Infection if not a rip-off of Hot For Teacher from start to finish, and a poor one at that?

Ed just got complacent in the mid-1980s. Too many meaningless accolades from Guitar Mags went to his head, and the man just stopped trying, unless you consider tailoring your sound for top 40 radio a sign of growth (that includes Jump as well).
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• degüello
                    Sniper
                    • Mar 2004

The guitar work on 5150, the song, is his best post-1984 material.
                    "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• buckshotjenkins
                      Roadie
                      • Jan 2005

ending the album 5150 is a track called INSIDE. i like the song minus stupid tupperware party lyrics and sammy on there. (i know-96.7% of it.) though i love when al says "ALIMONY! and ed proceeds to play an angry sounding choppy bluesy solo that i is totally unique. to me he actually sounds angry and not very notey...........as i've said pleasure dome is great bar none; my favorite solo up until that point of van hagar. his use of the "wang bar" is still the bomb. dream is over is a smoking solo too, and cool riff to come back into it with. the solos in don't tell me are laid back and cool. i can split admitting talent pretty well from feelings that someone's a moron. ed rips. many good moments. any show where i was guaranteed a seat close enough to watch his hands work, i'd be there. the guy from creed or nickleback could sing for all i care. then i could marvel at ed and attempt to injure the above said singers.

Comment

• byte
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Mar 2004

I like bits and pieces of 5150 (the album), mainly those Ed used the trans-trem Steinberger guitar on. It's really more of a curiosity, the guitar work isn't really up to par with the previous six albums but I would have like to have heard what one of those songs sounded like with a REAL lead singer. I also like the riff from F.U.C.K.'s "The Dream is Over" - oh wait, that's the same one from "Ain't 'Talkin 'Bout Love." My mistake.

Comment

• rustoffa
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Maybe, maybe not.

I hold it all in no regard.

Comment

• CVHfan
                            Roadie
                            • Nov 2004

Balunchitherium from Balance was pretty good. Kind of like listening to a Joe Satriani tune. It was an instrumental. There wasn't anything too fancy, but it was a good instrumental.

Comment

• darkknight
                              Groupie
                              • Mar 2004

The guitar work on Why Can't This Be Love is pretty awesome.

HA HA. Just kidding.

Actually, I think his tone went to hell after 1984, therefore his playing has been totally uninspiring. The playing on MWM and CGTSNM is the best he's done since, but I still believe his tone wasn't up to par of the old days. Too much fuzzy, midrangey, chorus-y, Eventide crap on it.

Comment

Working...