PDA

View Full Version : Crue CD Review With VH References

Full Bug
02-04-2005, 10:37 AM
CD Review: Motley Crue: Red White...

By DARRYL STERDAN -- Winnipeg Sun

You can blame Van Halen for this. Or thank them, depending on your view of the latest Motley Crue reunion.

Clearly, the glam-rock has-beens have swiped the to-do list Eddie and co. drafted last year:

1) Accept that nobody wants you to make a new album; 2) Realize that today's iPod-toting fans were raised on classic-rock radio and only care about your hits; 3) Put out another best-of CD and make a big deal about getting back together; 4) Hit the gym, dig those leathers out of the closet and go fleece the sheep. (Bonus points to Mick Mars for going for the optional 5) Get a hip replacement.)

Thus we have the new Crue reunion tour -- which, unlike their last jaunt in the mid-'90s, is doing booming biz. And we have Red, White & Crue, the new two-disc retrospective a la VH's Best of Both Worlds.

Assuming you haven't already bought these songs six times on all the Crue reissues, box sets and compilations over the past few years, this set is a reasonably extensive collection. Disc 1 covers their headbanging '80s heyday and the poofy-metal classics that kept them in drugs, strippers and Jack: Looks that Kill, Shout at the Devil, Girls, Girls, Girls, Dr. Feelgood, Smokin' in the Boys Room and so on, along with the odd previously issued rarity. Disc 2 -- aka The Disc No One is Going to Play -- covers the diminishing returns and revolving-door lineup that sum up the rest of their career (though we give the boys credit for being gracious enough to include tracks from their short-lived alliance with singer John Corabi). And of course, there are the obligatory Three New Tracks: The plodding, extra-strength power ballad If I Die Tomorrow; Sick Love Song, a funked-up revamp of Welcome to the Jungle; and a wah-wah-laced desecration of The Stones' Street Fighting Man.

At least you can't blame Eddie for that. Now open up and say Baaaah.

Track listing:

Disc 1:
1. Live Wire
2. Piece Of Your Action
3. Toast Of The Town
4. Too Fast For Love
5. Black Widow
6. Looks That Kill
7. Too Young To Fall In Love [remix]
8. Helter Skelter
9. Shout At The Devil
10. Smokin' In The Boys Room
11. Use It Or Lose It
12. Girls, Girls, Girls
13. Wild Side
14. You're All I Need
15. All In The Name Of...
16. Kickstart My Heart
17. Without You
18. Don't Go Away Mad (Just Go Away)
19. Same Ol' Situation (S.O.S.)
20. Dr. Feelgood

Disc 2:
1. Anarchy In The UK
2. Primal Scream
3. Home Sweet Home ['91 remix]
4. Hooligan's Holiday [Brown Nose Edit]
5. Misunderstood [Successful Format Version]
6. Planet Boom
7. Bittersuite
8. Afraid [Alternative Rave Mix]
9. Beauty
10. Generation Swine
11. Bitter Pill
12. Enslaved
13. Hell On High Heels
14. New Tattoo [single version]
15. Street Fighting Man [Brand New Track]
16. If I Die Tomorrow [Brand New Track]
17. Sick Love Song [Brand New Track

Full Bug
02-04-2005, 10:39 AM
4) Hit the gym, dig those leathers out of the closet and go fleece the sheep. Now open up and say Baaaah.
Great line!

tomballin
02-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks FB, great post.

I see a whole trend of this shit starting, with these ol fart rock bands and rehash Tours and rehash bullshit albums.

Oh well, just leaves more money in my pocket, for sure

Matt White
02-04-2005, 11:10 AM
"go fleece the sheep"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....I seem to have heard this some place before........can't quite put my finger on it...........WAIT!!! I heard it here!
Proof positive that THE DAVID LEE ROTH ARMY is influencing journalist around the globe!!:)

WACF
02-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Funny review...so true though.

Coyote
02-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Full Bug
7. Too Young To Fall In Love [remix]

So how's this different from the original?

Full Bug
02-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Coyote
So how's this different from the original?
Good question, hasnt anyone picked this thing up yet?

fe_lung
02-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Clearly, the glam-rock has-beens have swiped the to-do list Eddie and co. drafted last year:

They forgot one step: Make sure two of the four members hate each other ala Ed and Sam - or in this case:

Oddly Enough - Reuters

Notable Quotes

Fri Feb 4, 9:19 AM ET Oddly Enough - Reuters

HOLLYWOOD (Reuters) - They really said it -- notable quotes from the news:

"Don't be polite. I don't like Tommy and Tommy doesn't like me. Tommy doesn't care to resolve things. I don't care. I have no feelings about it either way. You go to work and there's a guy in the office you don't like. You still do your job, huh?"

-- MOTLEY CRUE singer VINCE NEIL, on drummer TOMMY LEE, in the March issue of Blender.