X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CVHfan
    Roadie
    • Nov 2004

Deep Purple.

I like Deep Purple. I have a few albums, most notably, "In Rock", "Machine Head", "Made In Japan", and "Burn". I know the classic Purple is Mark II, though I really like Burn as well. What do you think?
  • Rikk
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

BURN is a fantastic album. It's as good as any of the MARK II albums, as far as I'm concerned. STORMBRINGER (the other MARK III album), however, is not nearly as good as the other Purple albums, although the title cut is a classic. COME TASTE THE BAND (the Tommy Bolin album) is actually quite good. That was an under-rated line-up, and Bolin was a helluva player (died of a heroin overdose in 1976). You ever heard GETTIN' TIGHTER?

Of their newer stuff, it's a bit sketchier. I like the PERFECT STRANGERS album and some of the other newer MARK II songs (from the HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT and BATTLE RAGES ON albums). But I really don't like Steve Morse. I can't stand his playing with Purple. The material just doesn't add up...although PURPENDICULAR has a few good songs (I'M NOT YOUR LOVER NOW). I saw them live over the summer, and they were fantastic. But I'm pretty much a Blackmore loyalist...though I also think Ian Gillan is "the man".
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• tomballin
      Commando
      • Dec 2004

Wow, I post some killer Deep Purple vintage vids in Bootleg corner and this thread pops up. Cool.

Hey Rikk, if you have a broadband connection and a computer with balls, check out the live video I posted in Bootleg Corner of Purple performing Burn in 1974 at the California jam. Killer video/great quality.

--------------

Originally posted by Rikk
      BURN is a fantastic album. It's as good as any of the MARK II albums, as far as I'm concerned. STORMBRINGER (the other MARK III album), however, is not nearly as good as the other Purple albums, although the title cut is a classic. COME TASTE THE BAND (the Tommy Bolin album) is actually quite good. That was an under-rated line-up, and Bolin was a helluva player (died of a heroin overdose in 1976). You ever heard GETTIN' TIGHTER?

Of their newer stuff, it's a bit sketchier. I like the PERFECT STRANGERS album and some of the other newer MARK II songs (from the HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT and BATTLE RAGES ON albums). But I really don't like Steve Morse. I can't stand his playing with Purple. The material just doesn't add up...although PURPENDICULAR has a few good songs (I'M NOT YOUR LOVER NOW). I saw them live over the summer, and they were fantastic. But I'm pretty much a Blackmore loyalist...though I also think Ian Gillan is "the man".

Comment

• loss of fools
        Head Fluffer
        • Oct 2004

i love deep purple but im a gillan only fan. i personly think there best album is fireball its a very underated album. i know some people will say it aint deep purple without blackmore and i do understand why but i have to say, i saw deep purple in november with steve morse and he was shit hot. gillan is still a great singer.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Gillan & Blackmore are to Deep Purple as Dave & Eddie are to Van Halen. And Covercheese is every bit the hack that Hagar is.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• CVHfan
            Roadie
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            Gillan & Blackmore are to Deep Purple as Dave & Eddie are to Van Halen. And Covercheese is every bit the hack that Hagar is.

I'll give Coverdale credit for "Burn", which I actually enjoyed as an album, though preferred the Gillian albums to it. I know Coverversion has done some cheesey stuff, but I have to give him credit for that one album.

Comment

• tomballin
              Commando
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by FORD
              I didn't have a problem with Coverdale, but yes second string.

Also, I have tremendous respect for Tommy Bolin's (RIP) work, but to me Deep Purple wasn't DP without Ritchie Blackmore, even though NO ONE could get along with the guy.

I remember reading how the band was out eating at this nice eatery, one night, and Blackmore got pissed off about something, per usual, and picked up this big piece of fish off his plate and threw it right in Lord's face. The whole band was told to leave the establish.

To this day, I have never seen a poll where Blackmore is not #1 for the musician with the worst attitude.

Here's a pic of Ritchie and DP in 1973

Comment

• tomballin
                Commando
                • Dec 2004

Blackmore - California Jam, 1974

Comment

• tomballin
                  Commando
                  • Dec 2004

Of course we are talking the Ritchie Blackmore of old before he went crazy over the hot blond in these videos (Candice) and got into all that Celtic and Renaissance music, starting his new band with Candice, "Blackmore Nights".......Shiteeee

I hope that is really good p-tang he is getting. Man-o-man.

Here we go, Blackmore Nights - Live

* Here *

Tell ya, somewhere along the way Candice did way too much bad acid and fried her tiny brain. Guess she must be good yum.

Here's two more small video clips of Ritchie and Candice. peeuuuu

* Clip 1 *
                  * Clip 2 *

Last edited by tomballin; 02-05-2005, 11:48 PM.

Comment

• Rikk
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Bad attitude or not, BLACKMORE was DEEP PURPLE more than anyone else was. That's why I think the current line-up is a bit false.

The hatred between GILLAN and BLACKMORE was half the band.
                    Roth Army Militia

Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• CVHfan
                      Roadie
                      • Nov 2004

I read that Coverdale and Blackmore despised each other as well.

Comment

• tomballin
                        Commando
                        • Dec 2004

Bad attitude or not, BLACKMORE was DEEP PURPLE more than anyone else was. That's why I think the current line-up is a bit false.

The hatred between GILLAN and BLACKMORE was half the band.
                        No question about it.

Hey, I have too live videos of DP doing Hush. Both high quality. One is '68 at the Playboy Club and the other '71 in concert. Man, the keyboards are awesome on that song! Still love the ol' Hammond-B3 sound, piped through Leslie speakers with the spin cones.

Comment

• tomballin
                          Commando
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by CVHfan
                          I read that Coverdale and Blackmore despised each other as well.
                          Ritchie was born that way. Probably why he does ludes and lives the Celtic way with Candice now. It's his way of avoiding the world, and everything he hates about it.

Comment

• Rikk
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tomballin
                            Ritchie was born that way. Probably why he does ludes and lives the Celtic way with Candice now. It's his way of avoiding the world, and everything he hates about it.
                            Ritchie is awesome. And frankly, in the recent (and excellent) CLASSIC ALBUMS DVD on MACHINE HEAD, Ritchie comes off a lot more positive towards Ian than the other way around. I think Ritchie is awesome and should be allowed to be a bit of a prick considering the immense talent he possesses.

Jesus, dude...with all the amazing videos and awesome music talk you share, I'm shocked I have never given you a vote. 5-star vote for you, brudda! (I can see the Hitchworld guys puking.)
                            Roth Army Militia

Comment

• tomballin
                              Commando
                              • Dec 2004

Ritchie is awesome. And frankly, in the recent (and excellent) CLASSIC ALBUMS DVD on MACHINE HEAD, Ritchie comes off a lot more positive towards Ian than the other way around. I think Ritchie is awesome and should be allowed to be a bit of a prick considering the immense talent he possesses.

Jesus, dude...with all the amazing videos and awesome music talk you share, I'm shocked I have never given you a vote. 5-star vote for you, brudda! (I can see the Hitchworld guys puking.)
                              Let's hope EVH doesn't read the part about being allowed to be a prick because of his talent., baaaawaaaaaa

Thanks for the thought, chief

PS: I have got to find some pics to post of the inside of Deep Purple's huge jet back in their day. Man, it was totally cool, real psychedelic pussy pad! Jimi Hendrix (RIP) had to be jealous.

Comment

Working...