X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UGS
    Head Fluffer
    • Jan 2005

Me Wise Magic lyrics

I read in an interview with Ed a while ago saying that at first Dave didn't want to sing the line "I know what you're thinking" because it seemed kind of evil, and he wanted to be percieved as nice-friendly-Dave. It's pretty clear that Dave wrote the words for Can't get this Stuff No More, as it reeks of Roth, but how much of MWM did Dave write? Lyrically, it doesn't seem as Roth-esque as CGTSNM. Not enough hidden meanings (or maybe it's so hidden, I missed it). Magic was one of the ones that was already written prior to Dave showing up at 5150, so would that have included the lyrics? And where does Desmond "I produced the first Hanson CD" Childs fit it? Did they fire him without using any of his contributions?
    Keep on Rothing in the Free World
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Dave would have had a big say in the lyrics. THe end result, no matter
    how it came to be, is prophetic, just like CGTSNM.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• wombattt
      Full On Cocktard
      • Apr 2004

Me Wise Magic

-Last Great Van Halen song

-Got a speeding ticket in '96 while driving/listening to it on the radio...just days prior/or after it was released

Comment

• UGS
        Head Fluffer
        • Jan 2005

Nice man!

This song rocks so hard! It really proves Ed still has some fire left in him.

Comment

• cwsmith17
          Sniper
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by wombattt
          Me Wise Magic

-Last Great Van Halen song

-Got a speeding ticket in '96 while driving/listening to it on the radio...just days prior/or after it was released
          Wombatt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Can see where some of the lyrics in MWM might not have been Dave's. Think the second verse and bridge lyrics are definitely his. The first verse is simplistic enough to have been written by anybody.

Was never a big fan of Desmond Childs and Glen(n) Ballard to begin with, so it was kinda disconcerting to hear reports at the time that Roth and Van Halen were working with them, although just the simple fact that they were in the studio together overshadowed any misgivings.

CGTSNM was Roth's all the way, agreed.

They were really a couple of great tracks. Just listening to those made it that much more of a bummer when the reunion turned out to be short lived; even if it had taken the reunited CVH until summer 1997 to put out a full-length album and rehearse enough go on tour (referring to AVH's assertion that it took forever to get a vocal out of Roth in 1996), it would have been worth it.

Both those tracks are very 1984-esque to me, in composition and engineering-wise.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• UGS
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Terry
              Can see where some of the lyrics in MWM might not have been Dave's. Think the second verse and bridge lyrics are definitely his. The first verse is simplistic enough to have been written by anybody.

Was never a big fan of Desmond Childs and Glen(n) Ballard to begin with, so it was kinda disconcerting to hear reports at the time that Roth and Van Halen were working with them, although just the simple fact that they were in the studio together overshadowed any misgivings.

CGTSNM was Roth's all the way, agreed.

They were really a couple of great tracks. Just listening to those made it that much more of a bummer when the reunion turned out to be short lived; even if it had taken the reunited CVH until summer 1997 to put out a full-length album and rehearse enough go on tour (referring to AVH's assertion that it took forever to get a vocal out of Roth in 1996), it would have been worth it.

Both those tracks are very 1984-esque to me, in composition and engineering-wise.
              Good call about the first verse. . ."I know what you're thinking". . .pretty simple. And you're right, the "little zen comin' your way/halfway down the interstate/Buddhist riff/who are you & where are we/ I feel you agreein'" etc.-- all those bits, and more, reek of Dave's input.

I agree with you on CGTSNM fitting right into 1984, but I've always looked at MWM as instrumentally and structuraly a Van Hagar song that Dave saved from obscurity/sucking and made it SPECTACULAR.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by UGS
                Good call about the first verse. . ."I know what you're thinking". . .pretty simple. And you're right, the "little zen comin' your way/halfway down the interstate/Buddhist riff/who are you & where are we/ I feel you agreein'" etc.-- all those bits, and more, reek of Dave's input.

I agree with you on CGTSNM fitting right into 1984, but I've always looked at MWM as instrumentally and structuraly a Van Hagar song that Dave saved from obscurity/sucking and made it SPECTACULAR.
                Lot of people think that the music to MWM is very Van Hagarish. Guess I can hear it a little bit, although I have the blinders on with any Halen music once Roth sings on it; can't imagine anyone else doing the vocals. Recall Hagar saying he had taken a stab at MWM before being ousted in 1996, and (naturally, according to Sam) the Van Hagar treatment blew away what CVH ended up doing with it.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• academic punk
                  Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Neither of those songs have ever blown me away, and have always reeked of Van Hagar to me.

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                    Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

The "I know what you're thinking" line is definietly NOT Dave.

Even the line "I have those same dreams" was probably not by Dave either.

Remember, as someone posted, gay-ass Desmond Child was brought in by Eddie to write some lyrics.

Although I think most of the lyrics are indeed Dave -- "A lttle zen headed your way, you'll get it, halfway down the interstate.."

CGTSNM is ALL Dave.

That one for sure.
                    =V V=
                    ole No.1 The finest
                    EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

• vanzilla
                      Veteran
                      • Jul 2004

Sam did take a crack at MWM. I remember reading it back in 97 - can't recall the publication - but Terry's right - Sam had the first shot at that one.

CGTSNM was by far my favorite from BOV1. Loved what Dave did with those lyrics and how they turned out to be prophetic.

Warham your avatar kicks ass bro!
                      Just because the title "moderator" is under my name doesn't mean I have to be nice to cunts like you. - DLR7884 to FPC

Vanzilla's New "Can't Get This Stuff No More" Video Coming Soon!

Comment

• degüello
                        Sniper
                        • Mar 2004

I can remember reading Spammy saying that he liked the music for MWM, that it was too bad because he "would've liked to have torn that shit up."
                        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Warham
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

I'm sure Dave took Child's lyrical abortion and turned it into the classic it is.

Comment

• squib
                            Head Fluffer
                            • Jan 2004

check CFTH he writes about Demond Childs being brought in, but made it prett clear that he wasn't interested in using any of it.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

I distinctly remember Edward saying that Dave would not sing the lyrics they had written for those songs. He said, "you can't write for Dave, its gotta come from him."

Comment

Working...