• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Teammates split on McNabb's state near Super Bowl's end

By Don Benevento, (Cherry Hill, N.J.) Courier-Post

PHILADELPHIA — As the Philadelphia Eagles cleared out their lockers Tuesday, much of the discussion centered on Donovan McNabb's physical condition as the quarterback led the team down the stretch in Super Bowl XXXIX.

There were differences of opinion from those who were on the field and in the huddle as to whether McNabb was suffering from concussion-like symptoms as the Eagles tried to rally — but failed — in a 24-21 loss to the New England Patriots.

"You could see there was some kind of complications," wide receiver Freddie Mitchell said. "We couldn't run the offense. There were a lot of words that he couldn't get out, so it was hard."

The question of McNabb's physical condition was first raised Monday night by center Hank Fraley.

A guest on The Angelo Cataldi Show on Comcast SportsNet, Fraley said McNabb appeared to be in a great deal of distress in the closing minutes of the game.

"He gave it his all," said Fraley, who was not avail able for comment Tuesday. "He was almost puking in the huddle. One play had to be called by Freddie Mitchell because Donovan was mumbling because he was almost puking."

However, all of this seemed to be news to receiver Greg Lewis, who also was in the huddle and caught a 30-yard touchdown pass during the fourth quarter.

"I didn't take that from it," Lewis said, when told of Fraley's remarks. "(McNabb) was coughing, but I didn't think it was anything serious. It was just that one play he didn't get the words out, but we pretty much understood what he said. It was just a little blurred, but everybody knew the play."

Lewis' version was backed up by running back Brian Westbrook.

"He was coughing, and I think he busted his lip early in the game, but I don't know how that affected him," Westbrook said. "He led us on a couple of drives after that. He hit G-Lew at the end of the game for the long touchdown, so he still had the ability to do that."

But Mitchell said the touchdown to Lewis came on a fluke play.

"It wasn't even the right route," Mitchell said. "Donovan just gave him a chance, and he made the play."

It appears the Eagles' season will end with a mystery that may never be solved. Was McNabb the victim of a concussion or some sort of anxiety attack? Or was a simple cough blown out of proportion by some players?

McNabb was on the way to Honolulu for the Pro Bowl and was not available for comment.

Eagles spokesman Derek Boyko said no injury report on McNabb was filed after the game, and he was unaware of McNabb having any problems on the field.

For the game, McNabb completed 30 of 51 passes for 357 yards and threw three touchdowns and three interceptions.

However, Mitchell seemed sure that McNabb was not himself. Mitchell said he believed McNabb could have been injured as early as the third play of the game when he was sacked by Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi.

The play was originally ruled a fumble, but it was overturned by replay.

"He got blasted on that play, and his lip was bleeding," Mitchell said. "I don't know how that might have affected him."

Asked to expand on his answer, Mitchell said: "I think the doctors need to answer anything else."

If McNabb was disoriented — and he was hit hard several times in the game — it may explain why the Eagles played lethargically in the last five minutes.

Despite trailing by two scores, 24-14, they seemed to lack any sense of desperation and didn't pick up the pace in order to get back in the game.

From the sideline, backup quarterback Koy Detmer said he didn't notice that McNabb was having any physical problems, and he said he was never told to get ready to go into the game.

However, Detmer offered an explanation as to why the Eagles chose to play the final stretch in such a methodical fashion.

"I think the thought process was to keep the whole gamut of the offense available until you feel like you have to go into a two-minute mode," he said. "Things didn't work out. It's frustrating, but hindsight is 20-20."

USA Today Story
  • DLR7884
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Sounds like they didn't get their stories straight to cover up lack of execution....

DLR7884
    They forgot how to run a 2 minute drill.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

They sure were taking their time in the 4th quarter.

They could have won that game.

Comment

• Mezro
        Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by DLR7884
        Sounds like they didn't get their stories straight to cover up lack of execution....

DLR7884
        They forgot how to run a 2 minute drill.
        They don't have a 2 minute drill.

Mezro...the Eagles do not practice one...and I'm not kidding...
        Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• DLR7884
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mezro

What?

How the hell does a team not have a 2 minute drill?

Or at least a no huddle?

DLR7884
          ?
          DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• ALinChainz
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Seems like they would have called 2 plays at a time at least.

And the throws McNabb was making, didn't look like a sick man or did he appear to be on the sideline like the article said.

Weird.

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

McNabb denies he was sick at Super Bowl

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer

February 9, 2005

KAPOLEI, Hawaii (AP) -- Donovan McNabb disputed claims by teammates that he was ill during the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl and needed help calling a play.

After his first practice for the Pro Bowl on Wednesday, the Philadelphia Eagles quarterback said there was nothing wrong with him during the loss to the New England Patriots apart from the expected pressure of a close Super Bowl.

``No, I wasn't sick and no, I didn't throw up,'' McNabb said. ``If people want to use that as an excuse for why we lost, that's not the way it was, but I'll put it on my shoulders. I'll take the blame.''

McNabb raised the subject two days after Eagles center Hank Fraley told a Philadelphia TV station that the QB was sick late in the game last Sunday and that receiver Freddie Mitchell helped out in the huddle by calling a play.

Mitchell said in another TV interview that he finished a play call.

McNabb ``fought to the end. He gave it his all,'' Fraley said on Comcast SportsNet. ``He could hardly call the plays -- that's how exhausted he was trying to give it his all. If you remember back when we played Jacksonville two years ago and he ended up puking, it was close to that scene. He exhausted everything he had.''

McNabb was shaky at times in Sunday's game. He passed for 357 yards and three touchdowns, but he also threw three interceptions.

McNabb said he was bothered by Fraley's statements.

``When I heard about it, I was kind of upset,'' McNabb said.

Comment

• Mezro
                Full Member Status

• May 2004

Originally posted by DLR7884
                What?

How the hell does a team not have a 2 minute drill?

Or at least a no huddle?

DLR7884
                ?
                I don't have an answer but they don't

Mezro...even Andy Reid said it in a recent press conference...they don't have one...bet they will now...
                Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• stringfelowhawk
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Mar 2004

I don't know about him. It is public knowledge on this board and at work that I dislike T.O. with a fierce passion. I dislike his style, his ego, and his disrespect for the other players around him before he left the bay. But, that catch he made in the fourth quarter was a nice catch. That's all he gets from me. However, Mcnabb to me anyways, looked like he was not worried even though they had less than 4 mins to go. Some may see him as Philly's savior but he is NOT John Elway so if they trully don't run at least a 2 min drill that blame lays soley at the feet of their coach. They sure as hell didn't use the clock right. As much as I can not stand talking heads comparing Brady to Montana, I hate T.O even more so I'm glad the Pats won. I just don't get why they weren't playing like they were almost out of time. Mcnabb may have a rocket like everyone on tv talks about, he didn't show it in the Superbowl. He was short changing everybody. I only saw 5 well thrown balls the whole game.

Now, for that misinformed douchebag they have on ESPN, Sean Salsbury who claimed, "If I have to win a big game I'll take Brady even over number 16 out in San Fransisco"!

To which my first thought was, "That's why your sorry ass is riding a desk instead of donating a bust to the hall of fame jackass! Poor decisions are the reason you were always second string you fucking smuck"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And last but not least................ The episode of the Simpsons after the Superbowl was funny as shit........... Its classic send up of the very poor sportsmanship that pro sports have become and they did it so good I didn't stop laughing the entire episode. Especially, since Lebron James, Yao Ming, Warren Sapp, and even Brady came to him to choreograph dances for when they score. The way the NFL came to him to produce a halftime show because of all the bad press these guys were getting meant more ratings which is exactly why pro sports promote the fuck outta these waste of space pissants. And their send up of doing a quant halftime show by doing stories from the bible that bored the hell outta everyone was done jusssssssst right without going overboard. The moral of the story was the FCC is gonna end up right winging everything into utter nonsense.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Visit my online store http://www.tripleclicks.com/12395755 or get your own http://www.sfi4.com/12395755/FREE

Comment

• redblkwht
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Personally, that time out by the defense killed the eagles flat out..
                    i called it then & it haunted them on the last drive.
                    BTW why would you run with under 2 min to play?
                    fix?????????
                    it makes you think about that, & vegas numbers too.
                    i dunno just rambling.:confused:

EUAS

Comment

• ALinChainz
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

They just didn't seem to have any sense of urgency late in the game. It looked to me that Asst. HC Marty Moerninweg (sp?) was doing a lot of the play calling and I thought Reid always did.

Just seems like too good a coaching staff to have something like this happen.

Comment

• DLR7884
                        ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by ALinChainz
                        It looked to me that Asst. HC Marty Moerninweg (sp?) was doing a lot of the play calling and I thought Reid always did.

That dude is a fucking idiot.

I don't care if he is a Holmgren guy or not.....he's fucking dumb.

DLR7884

Comment

• MAX
                          Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mezro

That's insane. I've never heard that one. WOW!!! :eek:
                          EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Mungutae
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Jan 2005

I like the eagles
                            sometimes I eat my faeces

Comment

Working...