X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CVHfan
    Roadie
    • Nov 2004

Led Zeppelin DVD.

I did watch the DVD a couple of years ago when it came out and the stuff was excellent. I finally got out and bought it today and am so glad that I did. The thing is, there have been people who have lambasted Jimmy Page's playing live. I listened to the BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won, Page & Plant's "No Quarter", and Live at THe Greek with Jimmy Page and THe Black Crowes. And he always seemed to play well in those concerts and on the DVD, I watched him play "White Summer" and he was quite impressive. I never understood why people thought he was bad live. Maybe he was stoned.

Of course a lot of people on this board said that EVH badmouthed Jimmy Page's playing live. Though EVH has a king-size ego. But I am a huge Zephead and this DVD is awesome, just like Led Zeppelin.
    Last edited by CVHfan; 02-10-2005, 01:14 AM.
  • DLR7884
    ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

People have criticized Page's live performances due to the fact that he actually passed out on stage a few times.

DLR7884
    He is a better studio guitarist.
    Originally Posted by WARF:
    DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• CVHfan
      Roadie
      • Nov 2004

True. But when he does not have problems, he is still quite good live.

Comment

• BrownSound1
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Mar 2003

Page was awesome in the earlier years, but in the latter years of Zeppelin he was high most of the time and it hurt his playing. He plays great these days too...or should I say in the late 90's..haven't heard him lately.

The DVD is fucking AWESOME. It is definitely a better representation of live Zeppelin shows than The Song Remains the Same was.

Comment

• DLR7884
          ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BrownSound1
          The DVD is fucking AWESOME. It is definitely a better representation of live Zeppelin shows than The Song Remains the Same was.
          Yeah, TSRTS was released 3 years too late and wasn't even worth it.

DLR7884
          The DVD rocks....any truth to the rumors a 2nd one will be out soon?
          Originally Posted by WARF:
          DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• tydhurst
            Commando
            • Mar 2004

That DVD is the swishest Live DVD i have ever seen!
            Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• CVHfan
              Roadie
              • Nov 2004

Page was awesome in the earlier years, but in the latter years of Zeppelin he was high most of the time and it hurt his playing. He plays great these days too...or should I say in the late 90's..haven't heard him lately.

In the late 90's when he got together with The Black Crowes? I have that live album. He plays quite well and the Crowes performed Zeppelin's songs admirably.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Mar 2003

Well I was actually referring to the Page/Plant tours, even though the first one was in the mid-90's, but yeah he did play well with the Black Crowes.

Comment

• CVHfan
                  Roadie
                  • Nov 2004

Say what you will about the Crowes, but any band that can play Zeppelin songs and stay true to the spirit of those songs automatically earns my respect. Yes they had Page helping there, but they did a good job themselves. Besides, "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" is a good album.

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

The major prob with this DVD is the constant changing of aspect ratios.
                    One set will be in 4:3 next will be 16:9. Not good for home projector
                    systems. Thats my only complaint with it. Other than that, IT FOOKIN ROCKS ! Page played great in these concerts.
                    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
                      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Page was awesome in the earlier years, but in the latter years of Zeppelin he was high most of the time and it hurt his playing.
                      Yeah, "Whole lotta love" at Knebworth is a bit scrappy.

Compare that with his excellent work in the "Danmarks radio" segment on disc one.
                      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• CVHfan
                        Roadie
                        • Nov 2004

The rest of Knebworth was still excellent.

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

I hate the version of Black Dog where Page doesnt even play "THE RIFF" yet Rob Plant tries his best to sing the original song...
                          Its like "Jimmy, you can do it !!"
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• CVHfan
                            Roadie
                            • Nov 2004

you mean the one posted here? I have that. Though the riff Page plays is pretty good.

Comment

• BrownSound1
                              ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                              • Mar 2003

That's from the Unledded DVD...I read that they just wanted to give it a little different feel. When they played Black Dog on the Unledded tour, however, they played it just like it is on Led Zep IV. I remember being shocked that Plant could actually sing it.

Comment

Working...