PDA

View Full Version : Led Zeppelin DVD.

CVHfan
02-10-2005, 12:11 AM
I did watch the DVD a couple of years ago when it came out and the stuff was excellent. I finally got out and bought it today and am so glad that I did. The thing is, there have been people who have lambasted Jimmy Page's playing live. I listened to the BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won, Page & Plant's "No Quarter", and Live at THe Greek with Jimmy Page and THe Black Crowes. And he always seemed to play well in those concerts and on the DVD, I watched him play "White Summer" and he was quite impressive. I never understood why people thought he was bad live. Maybe he was stoned.

Of course a lot of people on this board said that EVH badmouthed Jimmy Page's playing live. Though EVH has a king-size ego. But I am a huge Zephead and this DVD is awesome, just like Led Zeppelin.

DLR7884
02-10-2005, 09:25 AM
People have criticized Page's live performances due to the fact that he actually passed out on stage a few times.

DLR7884
He is a better studio guitarist.

CVHfan
02-10-2005, 09:50 AM
True. But when he does not have problems, he is still quite good live.

BrownSound1
02-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Page was awesome in the earlier years, but in the latter years of Zeppelin he was high most of the time and it hurt his playing. He plays great these days too...or should I say in the late 90's..haven't heard him lately.

The DVD is fucking AWESOME. It is definitely a better representation of live Zeppelin shows than The Song Remains the Same was.

DLR7884
02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by BrownSound1
The DVD is fucking AWESOME. It is definitely a better representation of live Zeppelin shows than The Song Remains the Same was.

Yeah, TSRTS was released 3 years too late and wasn't even worth it.

DLR7884
The DVD rocks....any truth to the rumors a 2nd one will be out soon?

tydhurst
02-10-2005, 09:47 PM
That DVD is the swishest Live DVD i have ever seen!

CVHfan
02-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Page was awesome in the earlier years, but in the latter years of Zeppelin he was high most of the time and it hurt his playing. He plays great these days too...or should I say in the late 90's..haven't heard him lately.

In the late 90's when he got together with The Black Crowes? I have that live album. He plays quite well and the Crowes performed Zeppelin's songs admirably.

BrownSound1
02-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Well I was actually referring to the Page/Plant tours, even though the first one was in the mid-90's, but yeah he did play well with the Black Crowes.

CVHfan
02-11-2005, 01:02 AM
Say what you will about the Crowes, but any band that can play Zeppelin songs and stay true to the spirit of those songs automatically earns my respect. Yes they had Page helping there, but they did a good job themselves. Besides, "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" is a good album.

Panamark
02-11-2005, 01:07 AM
The major prob with this DVD is the constant changing of aspect ratios.
One set will be in 4:3 next will be 16:9. Not good for home projector
systems. Thats my only complaint with it. Other than that, IT FOOKIN ROCKS ! Page played great in these concerts.

Mr Badguy
02-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Page was awesome in the earlier years, but in the latter years of Zeppelin he was high most of the time and it hurt his playing.

Yeah, "Whole lotta love" at Knebworth is a bit scrappy.

Compare that with his excellent work in the "Danmarks radio" segment on disc one.

CVHfan
02-11-2005, 09:36 AM
The rest of Knebworth was still excellent.

Panamark
02-11-2005, 09:43 AM
I hate the version of Black Dog where Page doesnt even play "THE RIFF" yet Rob Plant tries his best to sing the original song...
Its like "Jimmy, you can do it !!"

CVHfan
02-11-2005, 04:06 PM
you mean the one posted here? I have that. Though the riff Page plays is pretty good.

BrownSound1
02-11-2005, 05:48 PM
That's from the Unledded DVD...I read that they just wanted to give it a little different feel. When they played Black Dog on the Unledded tour, however, they played it just like it is on Led Zep IV. I remember being shocked that Plant could actually sing it.

Panamark
02-11-2005, 07:55 PM
And shocked that Page could actually play it ?? :)

Diver Down NJ
02-12-2005, 11:36 AM
Easily one of the best music DVDs of all time. This should be a template for how other bands package their old material.

wombattt
02-13-2005, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by CVHfan
I did watch the DVD a couple of years ago when it came out and the stuff was excellent. I finally got out and bought it today and am so glad that I did. The thing is, there have been people who have lambasted Jimmy Page's playing live. I listened to the BBC Sessions, How the West Was Won, Page & Plant's "No Quarter", and Live at THe Greek with Jimmy Page and THe Black Crowes. And he always seemed to play well in those concerts and on the DVD, I watched him play "White Summer" and he was quite impressive. I never understood why people thought he was bad live. Maybe he was stoned.

Of course a lot of people on this board said that EVH badmouthed Jimmy Page's playing live. Though EVH has a king-size ego. But I am a huge Zephead and this DVD is awesome, just like Led Zeppelin.

Get the bootlegs....Jimmy is amazing from 1969 to 1975....by 1977 he was smacked-out and hit or miss, although he did have a few classic shows in 77,

Knebworth the first show was good, the second show was not.

1980 pretty much the whole Euro tour Jimmy was crap.

Eddie slagged Jimmy's live playing as sloppy. I wonder how many times he actually saw Led Zeppelin, if he ever did?
One of the best boots from '77 is inspired by Eddie's remarks....Listen to This Eddie....Page is off the hook here, in full command.

The DVD....I bought it the day it came out May 27th 2003...waited 15 years for anything like this, and wasn't going to wait another minute.

Now if only Van Halen will release a DVD with DLR.

CVHfan
02-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Well, the Knebworth material on the DVD was good. So, it probably was the first night.

SoldMySoul4RnR
02-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Man, that DVD Freakin' Rocks!! The Knebworth version of 'Achilles Last Stand' is an absolute corker. 'How the West was won' is downright awesome as well, I love how Page just put all this stuff out at once...Like one great big Zeppelin fix.

I think Page could be pretty sloppy live at times, but you gotta take your hat off to him. I mean he'd layer that many guitars over one another on the studio recordings & he'd still be able to recreate the songs live with just ONE guitar.

Matt White
02-14-2005, 12:30 AM
"SICK AGAIN" on Disc 2 from Knebworth FUCKING ROCKS!!!

ODShowtime
02-14-2005, 04:14 PM
I had to take off work the day it came out. May 27th 2003 was a great day for music fans everywhere.

It was the start of the dark times for my neighbors :D

Nickdfresh
08-26-2006, 04:45 PM
I just picked this up the other day and it is incredible! I bought HTWWW a couple of years a go, and was wowed by that CD. It should be noted that Page was selective as too which performances he chose to represent the band live, obviously ones where they were at their best. And Led at their best is hard to beat!

There are great performances by Page all throughout Zep's career. But there are some clinkers on the bootlegs. But he always seems to have his shows where he shines and the best Led Zeppelin boot is "The Destroyer: Live from Cleveland" from 1977, not just sound-wise, but performance wise. But there is little doubt that his skills eroded with substance abuse, and have since rebounded. The 1979 Knebworth performance of "Kashmir" is on YouTube and you can see it in this thread, (http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39676) as are several other songs from the DVD.

Matt White
08-26-2006, 05:24 PM
:rockit2:

There are a couple of "Easter Eggs" on the ZEP DVD.....

Music Tracks:
'The Song Remains the Same' Bootlag: On the Disc 2, from the main menu, access the 'Interviews & Promos' section. Now access the 'Promos' section. Sit and wait a minute or so for the menu to start playing a complete bootleg version of ''The Song Remains the Same''!

After the end credits on disc 2, the 'Atlantic Records' logo and 'FBI Warning' show clips of the song 'Heartbreaker' while highlights from the road and video archive footage is rolled!

Hardrock69
08-27-2006, 01:46 PM
I think it is simply one of the greatest collections of live performances by one of the greatest rock bands of all time..

A stunning blueprint for ALL rock bands demonstrating what they should attempt to achieve as far as soul, intensity and FIRE!

Some of you wonder why people slam Jimbwah for his live playing.....all one has to do is watch a boot DVD of their performance in Seattle in 1977......the entire band SUCKED FUCKING ASS!!!!
:mad:

Bonzo was the best out of the lot, but he was seriously uninspired, Jonesy was absolutely boring, and played as if he would rather be somewhere else. Plant croaked his way through the set. Pagey musta been on heroin....he mailed in a performance that sucked so bad I was astounded.....playing absolute drivel, slopping his way through songs...playing bullshit solos where the studio solos were easily recognizable.....god they were horrible.

Yes they were great, but not all the time.

Matt? Thanks for the Easter Eggs....I will haveta check them out.

Matt White
08-27-2006, 01:48 PM
Right on man....just a little extra sumthin'................

Terry
08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
It IS an amazing dvd. Page commented that he even solicited material from private collectors (bootleggers, basically) to flush out some of the clips.

The early years of Zep, up until the fourth album, they were consistently excellent live: all four of them.

From about 1972 to 1975, there'd be an odd-off gig here and there, but still solid.

1977 onward they still had great gigs, but there were quite a few that were dodgy. I've enjoyed the boots I've heard from 1980, but I agree that a lot of what Page did on the shows that I have heard from that tour...it sounds like he was struggling to pull off licks he'd been playing live for years - and I pretty much would put that down to his drug ABUSE (being that there is a difference between use and abuse): the guy was just too fucked up to play very well.

If Van Halen put out a dvd using the Zep format as a template...even if it did have Hagar shit on it (and count on the fact that it would), I'd pay $30 for it, even if was only to get to the CVH stuff

A dvd with 5+hours of JUST Roth stuff on it: $50 easy.

Nickdfresh
08-27-2006, 09:13 PM
BTW, Led Zeppelin has a very cool site unlike some bands/solo singers we know *cough* sigh*

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/site_flash/