• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

See You Bumkins?

Skulls may be oldest known human remains

Wednesday, February 16, 2005 Posted: 1:13 PM EST (1813 GMT)

Two skulls unearthed in Ethiopia in 1967, are about 195,000 years old, a new analysis says.
    Image:

NEW YORK (AP) -- A new analysis of bones unearthed nearly 40 years ago in Ethiopia has pushed the fossil record of modern humans back to nearly 200,000 years ago -- perhaps close to the dawn of the species.

Researchers determined that the specimens are around 195,000 years old. Previously, the oldest known fossils of Homo sapiens were Ethiopian skulls dated to about 160,000 years ago.

Genetic studies estimate that Homo sapiens arose about 200,000 years ago, so the new research brings the fossil record more in line with that, said John Fleagle of Stony Brook University in New York, an author of the study.

The fossils were found in 1967 near the Omo River in southwestern Ethiopia. One location yielded Omo I, which includes part of a skull plus skeletal bones. Another site produced Omo II, which has more of a skull but no skeletal bones. Neither specimen has a complete face.

Although Omo II shows more primitive characteristics than Omo I, scientists called both specimens Homo sapiens and assigned a tentative age of 130,000 years.

Now, after visiting the discovery sites, analyzing their geology and testing rock samples with more modern dating techniques, Fleagle and colleagues report in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature that both specimens are 195,000 years old, give or take 5,000 years.

Fleagle said the more primitive traits of Omo II may mean the two specimens came from different but overlapping Homo sapiens populations, or that they just represent natural variation within a single population.

To find the age of the skulls, the researchers determined that volcanic rock lying just below the sediment that contained the fossils was about 196,000 years old. They then found evidence that the fossil-bearing sediment was deposited soon after that time.

Paul Renne, director of the Berkeley Geochronology Center, which specializes in dating rocks, said the researchers made "a reasonably good argument" to support their dating of the fossils.

"It's more likely than not," he said, calling the work "very exciting and important."

Rick Potts, director of the Human Origins Program at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, said he considered the case for the new fossil ages "very strong." The work suggests that "we're right on the cusp of where the genetic evidence says the origin of modern humans ... should be," he said.

G. Philip Rightmire, a paleoanthropologist at Binghamton University in New York, said he believes the Omo fossils show Homo sapiens plus a more primitive ancestor. The find appears to represent the aftermath of the birth of Homo sapiens, when it was still living alongside its ancestral species, he said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

So, what's your point in posting this ??

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

My point is that you are a backward hick.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

So, how is intelligent design bull ??

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
          You told me there was no proof of evolution. So here is your proof, unless you believe the carbon dating is off by about 194,000 years.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jul 2004

Translation please :confused:

Or is Elvis back on the bottle?
            Originally posted by Kristy
            Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
            Originally posted by cadaverdog
            I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              You told me there was no proof of evolution. So here is your proof, unless you believe the carbon dating is off by about 194,000 years.
              Heretic!!!

I say we throw Nicky in the river.......

if he sinks........

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

How is that proof of evolution ??

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

How is that proof of evolution ??
                  How is the Bible "proof" of Creationism?

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

The UNIQUENESS OF our LIFE SYSTEM:

AGE: Famed researcher Manfred Eigen headed a team that estimated the age of the genetic code at 3.8 +- 0.6 billion years.(1) The latest geochemical evidence places life's first appearance on Earth at 3.86 billion years. In other words, the origin of the genetic code coincides with the origin of life.
                    If true, this rules out the origin of life having a source other than on our Earth.

SURVIVAL: Even the simplest forms of life depend upon the symbiotic relationship among three very complex sets of molecules, DNA, RNA, and proteins. Some had theorized that the first life was based upon a single set of molecules termed "super RNA". Experiments with RNA indicated that RNA molecules and even the nucleotides on which they are built were chemically unstable under all possible early earth environments. The only place RNA molecules are safe from chemical destruction is inside the membrane walls of the cell.(2) RNA cannot survive without cells and cells cannot survive and multiply without RNA. They could not have originated independently, or one before the other.
                    If true, this rules out chance linkages of nucleotide sections in either a prebiotic soup or at hydrothermal vents as the source of life.

COMPLEXITY: In addition to the protective environment that the membrane of the cell provides to the complex molecules inside, outside of the cell in more complex life forms there are proteins that act as molecular pumps, valves, regulators and gates that match the complexity and functionality of equivalent machines made by humans. They are equipped with the capability to distinguish among the different molecules they pump and adjust the flow rates accordingly. They thus determine the kind of molecules and how many enter and exit the cell.(3)
                    If true, this is strong evidence that complex life systems are not just the result of random mutations but the result of purposeful design! ( also consider photosynthesis )

STABILITY: The most ancient fossils are of blue-green algae, these being more than 3 billion years old. Thats right, the same blue-green algae that exists today, in fact there is NO evidence of change in blue-green algae over the billennia.(4) How can anything be this stable? In the animal kingdom the shark also provides the same evidence of excellence of design and non-susceptibility to changes due to random mutation!
                    If true, this is strong evidence that the life system was originated by an "Intelligent Designer"!

SUDDEN CHANGE: The fossil record indicates that for 3.3 billion years of life history on Earth not much happened, there was only single-celled creatures and long chains of similar single cells. Then suddenly 543 million years ago species with specialized organs, joints and appendages appeared. During this explosion of life, called the "Cambrian explosion", more than 70 phyla appeared, all 30 phyla in existence today, and including 40 or more now extinct. (5) All this probably occurring within less than 3 million years (6) and in the following 540 million years no new phyla appeared.
                    Recent analysis of the marine invertebrate fossil record reveals that biodiversity peaked soon after the onset of the Cambrian explosion and has remained constant since then. Biodiversity appears to have reached a ceiling level almost immediately after complex animal life first appeared on the scene.(7)
                    If true, this rapid and varied change in complexity of life forms defies a naturalistic explanation!

CODE OPTIMIZATION: The genetic code has a very unique error-minimization capability. Researchers working with 1018 possible genetic codes (of the 1.4 X 1070 possible codes) with similar error-minimization capabilities found that they mostly tended to group in a normal distribution curve which they rated at code error values of 3.2 to 12.4 . However, the universal genetic code of our life system rated outside of this distribution with a superior error code rating of 2.6 . (8) "Only one in a million other possible codes is better". If a computer was evaluating codes in order to select the best, to come up with our universal genetic code it would have to evaluate 1054 codes a second,(9) requiring a very powerful super computer.
                    If true, this is strong evidence that the code was selected by an "Intelligent Designer"!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

**Yawn**

Don't worry Elvis, science is firmly on my side. Post whatever Christian agenda pseudo-science you will.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Don't let facts and science get in the way of a good story, ELVIS....

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

My question is this.......

Why are the reformed drug addicts, alkies, and sex fiends ALWAYS so fervent in their beliefs?????

Are they perhaps replacing one crutch with another?

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Many right wing biblical literalists literally believe that God created man a mere 6000 years ago, using the presumed Biblical timeline .

A popular saying in the evangelical community even says

From Adam to Moses - 2000 years. From Moses to Jesus - 2000 years. From Jesus to His second coming - 2000 years"

The rationalization for this argument is that God created life in 6 days and rested on the 7th, and at least 2 seperate occasions in the Bible where we are reminded that "a day is like 1000 years with God".

Hence the 6 "days" have passed, and we should be very close to the 7th, which is the millenial reign of Jesus Christ, a "day" of rest for the world in which Satan & his demons will be confined to Hell, so sin will presumably not exist.

While I believe a lot of what the Bible says, it's just complete ignorance to dismiss hard scientific facts, such as skulls which are considerably older than 6000 years.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

But wasn't Noah something like 400 years old?

It just seems like their Daytimers left a little to be desired

Comment

Working...